• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Showcase, Debut! (863)

Vipsoccermaster

I suppose that's a pretty decent episode. There were definitely some funny and sad parts. Watching the episode completely makes me feel a bit sad for Serena and her Fennekin, but it was to be expected. Serena's new look is nice, though. Jessie's Pumpkaboo is pretty good, but it's just not pretty in design. More of a creepy design, if you ask me. Shauna getting the win in the Showcase was fine, but I guess that's how the writers wanted it to be.

That business woman judge, Palermo, however. At first she seemed like a mysterious person. And at the end, we know what her secret is, all cause she needed one last look at Serena and Fennekin.

And I've never been to Palermo, or even Insular Italy. I have been to mainland Italy, though. Florence and Rome, mainly. This was all before I joined Serebii's forum.

And AuraChannelerChris, have you been to Palermo? If not, do you hope to attend there sometime?

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Then i guess I don't have a heart, or i'm not really into this Gen's series that much anymore. Serena's breakdown didn't faze me one bit, she's just boring to me and the whole "secret crush on Ash" thing gotten old fast. I'm already kinda annoyed with it now.

I also agree though, that Jesse's Pumpkaboo should've won that round, but i guess these showcases are all about "beauty" and all. And that woman piqued my interest, but that's it.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The dub opening to the season is so terrible, I laughed watching it again. I watched this episode to see how the dub handled it. Not as good as the original but it still got the message across. Shauna sounded kinda funny when she first joined the group. So not much changed for me about this episode. Still good for the most part. And now Serena's new design has hit American tv's everywhere. That's about it really. But man, that opening. What a bad opening. But to be fair it summed up pretty much where the XY season is right now, LOL.

This was an ok episode. There wasn't really anything noteworthy, though I did feel bad for Serena towards the end.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I liked watching this episode in the dub. I'm very interested to see the role that Palermo will have in the future. I still find Showcases to be kind of boring and out of place in a series that had been dominated by careers that involved battling.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
The dub opening to the season is so terrible, I laughed watching it again. I watched this episode to see how the dub handled it. Not as good as the original but it still got the message across. Shauna sounded kinda funny when she first joined the group. So not much changed for me about this episode. Still good for the most part. And now Serena's new design has hit American tv's everywhere. That's about it really. But man, that opening. What a bad opening. But to be fair it summed up pretty much where the XY season is right now, LOL.

Please...this ep alone was better than all of BW

Everlasting

Everything stays.
As expected, the dub kinda blew it with the music, unfortunately. It wasn't bad, but the original was a thousand times better. However, I think Serena's voice actress did a great job at the crying part. It didn't look all that forced.
Palmero is such an odd name, but I like it.

Monsieur Pierre's voice in the english dub is really bothering me, though. Ugh. That french is really, really forced. It's a little bit too much.

Last edited:

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I was waiting for this dub episode. It was generally pretty good. Serena's breakdown was well acted and Palermo made her debut in an enticing way. I also really like Shauna's voice actress when ever she shows up. It's who should have voiced Iris originally.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Just watched this episode dubbed and I thought it was a great episode. I found the Showcase to be rather interesting and I found that the haircut scene was more easier to watch this time around for some reason. I guess it could be because they didn't use a sad bgm for the scene. I still thought it was the highlight of the episode though. 10/10

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Man, I feel for Serena. Yeah the "fail" part of her act was over dramatic, but I can't help but feel sad when she cries. ;_; Glad she picked herself back up though.

Darn, Pokemon is still good at hitting me in the feels.

The Showcase was alright, nothing too complicated. The voting looks a lot more easier to understand, as the audience votes for each contestant. Jessie returning to her competitive side is awesome. Was really sad when she left it back in 2010 from the Sinnoh Contests. I hope Jessie does get to enter the competition to be Kalos Queen, as she almost became Top Coordinator in Sinnoh.

It'll take some getting use to Serena's new look but she still looks good! Even Ash complimented her, so he's not totally oblivious. :p

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
10/10

I loved this episode very much.
The old lady interested me, looking forward to seeing more of her.
It's awesome that the audience votes, better than how contests were judged.
Serena's new outfit debut was awesome too.

Poor Jessie tho. I thought Pumpkaboo looked amazing

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Finally got around to watching this episode. Pretty good all things considered. This is a rare occasion where I think I actually prefer the dub's music. Using AZ's theme for Serena cutting her hair I felt was over dramatic. Really, the showcase fail in general I felt was a little over dramatic. Although the scenario and what she said at the end of it all does make me like the character more.

And Jessie! Her design was surprisingly really good! Very creative and suited the Pokemon's spooky style really nicely. She should've won. lol.

I mean the Furfrou Pharaoh trim was just pulled from the game, and Bulbasaur + Flowers is kind of an obvious style choice. Pumpkaboo's getup was the most unique bar Serena's.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
So time for Serena's first showcase and I must say the first round intrigues me as it appears that it changes depending on the showcase.

Serena's failure was heart-breaking as you are willing her to do well in her debut but it happens in the most awful of fashions! I think everyone has been through a moment like that in their life and I found it quite awkward to watch and then to rub salt in the wound, Shauna wins!

The episode doesn't stop there, as we have another scene that pulls at the heartstrings. However, I wonder what brought on Serena's sudden change as her trip was just one of those things and could have happened to anyone. Anyway, I think Serena's new look, make her look vibrant and refreshed.

Finally, Palermo is a very interesting character and I look forward to seeing her again.

Good episode, onto the next one!

I loved this episode. This was pretty much Serena's episode and it was great. The character development was fantastic and even though I was already aware of how she lost, the way that they executed it was great and they did a great job.

The pier scene was really nicely executed and the made me feel some type of way. I love that her pokemon were trying to help her too and they even started to cry a little bit iirc. Also, the new design for Serena is great. The short hair really does fit her and yes, even for all of you Amourshippers out there, the ribbon is nice touch and she gives Ash a very meaningful look when he notices it..

Overall, good episode and one of the best so far for X and Y
10/10

I loved this episode. This was pretty much Serena's episode and it was great. The character development was fantastic and even though I was already aware of how she lost, the way that they executed it was great and they did a great job.

The pier scene was really nicely executed and the made me feel some type of way. I love that her pokemon were trying to help her too and they even started to cry a little bit iirc. Also, the new design for Serena is great. The short hair really does fit her and yes, even for all of you Amourshippers out there, the ribbon is nice touch and she gives Ash a very meaningful look when he notices it..

Overall, good episode and one of the best so far for X and Y
10/10

Pikachu52

Jessie for Kalos Queen

Then i guess I don't have a heart, or i'm not really into this Gen's series that much anymore. Serena's breakdown didn't faze me one bit, she's just boring to me and the whole "secret crush on Ash" thing gotten old fast. I'm already kinda annoyed with it now.

I also agree though, that Jesse's Pumpkaboo should've won that round, but i guess these showcases are all about "beauty" and all. And that woman piqued my interest, but that's it.

I agree with you completely

Overall I thought this episode was weak. It's probably the dullest and most uninteresting episode in the XY series. I feel a little sorry for Serena given how hard she took botching her first showcase and it was certainly heartfelt when she was crying with Fennekin and Pancham. However the one I feel the most sorry for is Jessie - Showcases are literally made for her - They're all about dressing up and trying to make yourself look elegant - You'd think someone like her would be a natural. They should make Jessie Kalos queen. It would just fit her character so well.

In some ways Serena's bursting into tears at the end of the episode is a little bit...pathetic. If she's serious about being a trainer she is going to have to take her Pokémon more seriously and be a little bit less thin skinned. Ash had a series of terrible losses during the BW series - He lost to Trip, he lost to Iris, he lost to Cameron. He didn't cry about and I would say given how much Iris and Trip put him down after some of his losses he definitely had cause to be so. The only thing I can think of that is comparable for Ash is when he lost to Paul at lake Valour during the DP series and he spent much of the episode depressed. However he had more cause to be depressed than did Serena - Paul not only beat but injured all of his Pokémon and then abused and insulted him afterwards. Still he didn't burst into tears or cut his hair (really not sure what that is about).

I do question the point of the showcases though - The points are determined by an audience vote so unlike a Pokémon contest there is no objective determination. I also question the point of a competition for Pokémon that involves no battles or anything that requires equal participation of teh Pokémon given the first round was just dressing them up. Granted Fennekin's outfit did look cute but Fennekin looks cute anyway. It doesn't need a costume. Whatever you put on a Fennekin it will probably look cute provided you don't make it macarbe or over do it. Pumpkaboo which is not really a cute Pokémon would be harder to dress up so Jessie had a harder time of it from the beggining. If I were an audience member I would probably be more inclinded to vote for a bulbasuar than a Pumkaboo. The whole concept looks like someone came up with it at the last minute to give Serena something to do other than have a crush on Ash.

Overall I'd give the episode 3/10 - I would however have given it much higher if Jessie had won the showcase. Personally I think it's an XY low point. The only episode that I think is worse than this is BW042 - Club Battle Finale: A hero's Outcome.

Last edited:

Minios

Smoke weed everyday
Overall I thought this episode was weak. It's probably the dullest and most uninteresting episode in the XY series. I feel a little sorry for Serena given how hard she took botching her first showcase and it was certainly heartfelt when she was crying with Fennekin and Pancham. However the one I feel the most sorry for is Jessie - Showcases are literally made for her - They're all about dressing up and trying to make yourself look elegant - You'd think someone like her would be a natural. They should make Jessie Kalos queen. It would just fit her character so well.

In some ways Serena's bursting into tears at the end of the episode is a little bit...pathetic. If she's serious about being a trainer she is going to have to take her Pokémon more seriously and be a little bit less thin skinned. Ash had a series of terrible losses during the BW series - He lost to Trip, he lost to Iris, he lost to Cameron. He didn't cry about and I would say given how much Iris and Trip put him down after some of his losses he definitely had cause to be so. The only thing I can think of that is comparable for Ash is when he lost to Paul at lake Valour during the DP series and he spent much of the episode depressed. However he had more cause to be depressed than did Serena - Paul not only beat but injured all of his Pokémon and then abused and insulted him afterwards. Still he didn't burst into tears or cut his hair (really not sure what that is about).

I do question the point of the showcases though - The points are determined by an audience vote so unlike a Pokémon contest there is no objective determination. I also question the point of a competition for Pokémon that involves no battles or anything that requires equal participation of teh Pokémon given the first round was just dressing them up. Granted Fennekin's outfit did look cute but Fennekin looks cute anyway. It doesn't need a costume. Whatever you put on a Fennekin it will probably look cute provided you don't make it macarbe or over do it. Pumpkaboo which is not really a cute Pokémon would be harder to dress up so Jessie had a harder time of it from the beggining. If I were an audience member I would probably be more inclinded to vote for a bulbasuar than a Pumkaboo. The whole concept looks like someone came up with it at the last minute to give Serena something to do other than have a crush on Ash.

Overall I'd give the episode 4/10 - I would however have given it much higher if Jessie had won the showcase. Personally I think it's an XY low point. The only episode that I think is worse than this is BW042 - Club Battle Finale: A hero's Outcome.

I can spend the whole day to criticize your review tbh :/. But no, I'm not a no life and I have more things to do so... I will just leave it here. My advice is, watch every Serena's focus episodes again(which is not much) and take them with an open mind, then you will understand this episode more...

Last edited: