• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Showcase, Debut! (863)

Red and Blue

Amen. I don't feel that this is a children's anime whatsoever. That crying scene and all. Oh god.
Anything could probably happen, which is why I'm now open to new ideas and speculations for the episodes ahead.

It still is for kids, LOL.

I just hope Serena handles her second loss better than she did in this episode. Really don't want to see another fit.

Xuxuba

"overly dramatic"
i would like to see you put all your effort into something just to fail in the first round in front of everyone because of something as little as a ribbon without even getting to show what you're really capable of. Then you can tell me she's being melodramatic.

Anyway, the way she acted so hopeful at the end of the episode is really inspiring. I'm having a hard time at college and i all want is to lock myself in my room and never go there again, but the way she was so passionate about her goal despite of what happened gave me so much hope. It's amazing how something like a kids show can lift you up.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
Oh my gosh, I am in love with Serena's new look! It looks wonderful on her (and the short hair looks better too)! :) I found the episode itself okay, though the Tripokalon itself just reminded me of Pokemon Contests a little bit... I'll probably need to see more of it before I can really make a decision about them. But really, the highlight of the episode for me was just Serena's new look. <3 I'm so glad she managed to overcome her first hurdle because she's really just getting started!

Navin

MALDREAD
FINALLY saw this. Didn't read any comments beforehand.

Mal's Weekly Review -

Pros:

* Beautiful BGM; this is what happens with fresh instrumentation, and THANK GOD they didn't play Volt!

* Audience voting into the keys is a cool concept

* Welp, nice outfits inb4 fanservice

* HOLY SH1T, Jessie's Pumpkaboo costume was incredible; I'm guessing the theme had to be beauty/cuteness, because there's no way in hell that doesn't win otherwise!!

* Also Jessie having a side goal from dull TR antics

* Shauna cheering up Serena; builds up the frivalry

* HOLY SH1T, definitely didn't expect Fennekin tripping on stage and Serena failing and being embarrassed in front of everyone!!!

* HOLY SH1T, Serena bawling her eyes out!!!!

* Dramatic flashback over hair slice

* New haircut and outfit - I like it

Cons:

* Well...it's not like Serena sucked either. In fact, Fennekin looked the best in that round, and Serena probably would have won had Fennekin not tripped and the costume fell apart. Also, Serena didn't look nervous whatsoever in actually putting together a costume. I was hoping/thinking some nerves would affect her there, but nope. So perhaps it might have been a tad bit overdramatic to take a blade and self-slice your hair...(I still liked it though)

* It wasn't bad...but really...that was the tournament-winning Free Performance by Shauna??? Out of all those opponents, I expected it to be more complex or "Wow"...

Thoughts:

* Guess the old lady will play a major role later.

* Y'know fan voting causes a major case of potential favoritism...

* See....introducing the human element can go a long ways; even if might be melodramatic, it is emotional and makes you care about a character.

* Serena's first arc of leaving-home-and-finding-a-calling took 53 episodes and while it had good parts, it was not as well-handled as it had the potential to be. Still, it set up nicely for the second goal arc, and it did deliver. Hopefully it continues to be this way.

* I want to know how Serena's personality will be affected after her haircut of change/new start. I'm still hoping for some more humorous side from her, as well hoping if they plan on making the SatoSere seem less like a 5 second gag. Maybe this will cause her to develop more sass and self-assuredness and confidence.

* Honestly, this episode was one of best in XY, and I normally have been critical of the Serena-centric episodes (especially episodes 21, 26, and 59).

I rarely give such a score, but a 9.5 out of 10.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
"overly dramatic"
i would like to see you put all your effort into something just to fail in the first round in front of everyone because of something as little as a ribbon without even getting to show what you're really capable of. Then you can tell me she's being melodramatic.

She hardly did any preparation for the Showcase though aside from a few minutes of training in the Nene episode. Had she worked harder for her performance and really invested herself, I would've totally understood why she was so distraught after losing.

Xuxuba

She hardly did any preparation for the Showcase though aside from a few minutes of training in the Nene episode. Had she worked harder for her performance and really invested herself, I would've totally understood why she was so distraught after losing.
She trained in other episodes as well and it's pretty clear that she trained off-screen too. What else do you expect them to do? A whole episode just about Serena training? Not even Ash has episodes like that.

Red and Blue

She trained in other episodes as well and it's pretty clear that she trained off-screen too. What else do you expect them to do? A whole episode just about Serena training? Not even Ash has episodes like that.

Sure, why not? I would have liked to see an episode dedicated to her training rather than have most of it be off-screen. Had we seen her work harder, it would have made her crying fit more believable

Xuxuba

Sure, why not? I would have liked to see an episode dedicated to her training rather than have most of it be off-screen. Had we seen her work harder, it would have made her crying fit more believable
Because it's redudant, that's why. Anyone who actually pays attention to the series knows that she has been training and even if she wasn't training as much as someone would expect it wouldn't make her loss any less humiliating.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Because it's redudant, that's why. Anyone who actually pays attention to the series knows that she has been training and even if she didn't it wouldn't make her loss any less humiliating.

Not really. An episode dedicated to her training wouldn't have been redundant at all. As it stands, I can't sympathize with her since I barely saw any of her training.

Xuxuba

Not really. An episode dedicated to her training wouldn't have been redundant at all. As it stands, I can't sympathize with her since I barely saw any of her training.
You don't know what you're talking about. I doubt that the audience would enjoy a entire episode about Serena doing the same perfomance over and over again for 20 min.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
You don't know what you're talking about. I doubt that the audience would enjoy a entire episode about Serena doing the same perfomance over and over again for 20 min.
Ash's training episodes are rarely, if ever, just him doing the same move over and over again so I doubt the same would be for a hypothetical Serena training episode.

Red and Blue

And you do? Lol.

Anyway, I just hope serena puts more investment and training for her next preformance, on-screen. That way her success or failure will be more believable.

Xuxuba

"I can only sympathize with someone if i saw this person's entire work. It doesn't matter if everyone else says she works hard, it doesn't matter if i saw snippets of that person's work, it doesn't matter if the situation is degrading even if that person didn't exhausted herself working. Despite this being a issue regarding my lack of empathy, i'll blame the writers for not doing exactly what i wanted in this episode."
Yeah, that's the way to go.

Last edited:

K.N.

It was implied in multiple episodes that she was training off-screen. I wouldn't mind some more on-screen stuff but saying that she hadn't prepared aside from that one instance is just plain wrong.

"Rocky didn't do any actual training, all we saw was him running like 20 feet total during that montage"

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
As it stands, I can't sympathize with her since I barely saw any of her training.

I agree, hence why I didn't get her crying fit. It was hard to sympathize with her loss since she did practically nothing to make me root for her in the Showcase. I can't give credit where it's not due. :x

Xuxuba

It was implied in multiple episodes that she was training off-screen. I wouldn't mind some more on-screen stuff but saying that she hadn't prepared aside from that one instance is just plain wrong.

"Rocky didn't do any actual training, all we saw was him running like 20 feet total during that montage"
This ^

Anyway, i'll give this episode 10/10. It's emotional and inspiring. Loved the hair and the outfit.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

After watching this episode i have to say i admire amount of effort put into Serena character development in here.

Pokemon performance wasnt that much exciting, but i did liked new innovation in voting system. Based on glowing sticks with audience having chance to express their interest and support of which girl performance they liked best. Assigning different color to each girl through which they would be represented.

Its pity Jessie didn't succeed in going to next round. Because her showcase was most creative imo and original. With Pumpkaboo outfit and dark like aura emitting ceepy, storming aura on stage. She was always notable for weird, most unusual attack com binations and strategies in contests as well(like pokemon attacking her being part of appeal). And i liked that.

But if someone shined in here, it was defginitely Shauna. She completely sweeped away competitiion with her Bulbasaur(looked adorable btw),Flabebe, cute pink outfit and witty use of its vine whips . Witnessing to teamwork between trainer and its pokemon being in pefect harmony.

All of this gavefurther motivation for Serena to improve and work harder on developing better thrust and understanding between herself and pokemon.

Speaking of which, i didnt expected that Fennekin out of all things will be one messing up Serena debut (unintentionally of course). Pity because they both looked very exciting despite beng nervous to get out there and show what they can do.

Kinda hoping Serena would be one breeaking mod winning first important event with development taking different direction. In glory and initial success hitting her in head starting to take performance lightly and developing wrong perception. With overcofidence leadng to future downfalls making her question and realize if she was wrong all along with first win being just luck and plexus of unpredicted circumstances going in her favor.

But that might had take more time than writers could had afford thus taking similar route May and Dawn went through.

Which i dont mind because of some different and verx pleasant twists i definitely welcmed.

Liking how despite very bad impression this didnt damaged friendship between Serena and Shauna continuing to support her through rest of competition and congratulating for win. While visibly tryng to hide her disappointment and blame she felt for letting down herself and pokemon.

Because whether your fan or not, its not easy to remain indifferent to Serena breaking down bursting in tears during walk she took alone with pokemon. Making me feel sorry for character and harsh realization of how tough Tripokalon can be requiring lot of dedication, teamwork and effort to really succeeed.

Im starting to think Serena dream in previous episode of tripping with Fennekin was possibly presentiment from her character in not feeling comfortable about debut sensing how something bad might happen(explaining her nervousness during whole competition).

I almost missed that detail, but if this was writers way of foreshadowing Serena loss, i like subtle approach used there.

Act of cutting her hair because of loss, with new hairstyle representing "born of new person" was something i suspected to happen. In sene of Serena letting go her "old self". Serena who was insecure, shy and undecided. Had no asgenda and motivation in doing anything with her life.

In new character who became much more resolved, determined and confident in itself finding what she truly likes, standing up to her mother and imposed tradition her family maintained and walking toward future with newborn strength and steadiness.

Adding to her appeal and originality welcoming that change of look has some meaning behind it. Instead of being passed of as simple blatant promotion of character customization feature from games.

She definitely looks great in new outfit and with new hair. Complimenting well that bright girly side, radiating with new energy and cuteness in more "grown up" way.

Presence of old lady (if im not mistaken her name is Yashio?)who enjoys big popularity and attention in public and from journalists dropping eye on Serena sparking her interest was nice foreshadowing toward futture . Indicating she may play important role in further development from Serena side and progression of her career in aim of becoming Kalos Queen.

All in all i didn't regret watching this episode. Being marked with elements of drama, sadness, excitement and unpredictability. Having everything neeeded to be enjoyable and impactful.

I wonder how many of these things she has to enter to make it to her dream...which we all know she won't succeed at because she's with Ash, and we know you succeed immediately the sooner you ditch him.

To be fair none of girls achieved their dreams ever since they left Ash. They are just left lingering in air with unfinished stories never seeing any follow up because they stopped becoming main characters not warranting focus and attention anymore.

We saw each girl coming closer toward their dreams during travels with Ash than it was ever case with Ash. Dawn in first attempt almost became top coordinator. Misty grew alot more than Ash did as faer as maturity goes coming top 8 in Whirl Cup which was directly focused on water master career(being one of steos which in case of winning brings ylu closer tioward title).

We saw May coming top 4 in second attempot at GF already becoming recognized coordinator granting her title "Princess of Hoenn.

Ash? It took about 13 years just to come top 4 in pokemon league which is one of steps on road of becoming pokemon master. Whether girls travel with Ash ior not she makes overall bigger progress in shorter period to be honest.

If they stayed for longer eventually we might seen one of them accomplishing their dreams going on bigger, better things. But they are obviously gone and abandoned at this point being questionable if we will ever see Misty, May, Dawn etc play relevant role , get continuation showing how much they changed/evolved and return for some interesting arc in flesh ever again.

Sadly that faith awaits for Serena too ending forgotten, her story and dreams being left unaccomlished and potential to go on more challenging tasks wasted. If she ends up replaced as well.

She took a long time to start her development as a character, but she managed to progress much faster than any other of the past heroines. In little more than twenty episodes (roughly the time elapsed since the summer camp arc to today's episode), Serena grew more than what Misty, May, Dawn and Iris did in at least a hundred each of them.

Although i still think characters like May or Misty for example changed possibly most emotionally wise imo with growth in that sense coming of as more endearing, satiusfying to follow keeping fun, fervent traits and becoming independent, more mature persons eventually. Feeling like they learned alot from new friendships, people they met, challenges they faced and new experiences.

Evolving alot in personality aspect, way they reacted to provocations and criticism going through big change as persons when comparing them in early days to how they behaved by end of AG followed by DP cameo in May, or end of Johto followed by chronicles in Misty case.

Im not gonna lie. Serena is slowly but surely starting to catch up and could become one of characters in pokemon who changed the most as far as personality and emotional growth goes.

Last edited:

Nodame

Misty <3
As a fashion lover myself, I actually liked this episode. Serena's contest dress and ponytail is super pretty. The performances were good too kinda reminded me of contests, which I love. Better luck next time Serena. I'm looking forward to see more.

It happened with May and Dawn also iirc, I don't see why it's such a big deal that she cried when those 2 cried also :/
I agree. People are complaining over the slightest things, calling her dramatic just because she cried lol.

Last edited:

k6666

Pikachu Fan
LOL at clemont being a nice guy XD even they barely interact with each other
LOL Hard at jessie being not recognize by ash and co XD and i really hope she win some performance tbh i dont her to be AG way
and i agree i respect the trimming girl ,imo i would vote then shauna , i mean 20 second to trimming her furfrou , that insane

i watch the episode , now i 'm so into serena now & love her new design to

Last edited by a moderator:

jason0597

How far they make episodes? There was an interview that was posted, can't remember where.