• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Showdown in Dark City (042)

ZilverLox

Banned
I can't believe I was once so naive thinking that Ash would get a Gym Badge in this episode. Pikachu showing his undying love for ketchup was enough to make this episode memorable.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I can't believe I was once so naive thinking that Ash would get a Gym Badge in this episode.

I kind of wish that the setting here was different and that Ash had challenged Koga here since the Yas Gym Leader could've easily been him.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back, the fact that both Kazu and Yasu wanted their respective Gyms to be recognized by the Pokemon League authorities reminded me of Akira's unofficial Gym. Kanto seemed to place more emphasis on how Gyms functioned, which I wish was still the case in later sagas.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I didn't understand why Nurse Joy suddenly had such a high ranking side job as a Gym inspector. That seemed like a silly thing to show us.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't understand why Nurse Joy suddenly had such a high ranking side job as a Gym inspector. That seemed like a silly thing to show us.

Joi's career as a Gym inspector caught me off-guard as well, although since all members of the Joi family are knowledgeable about Pokemon, I suppose Joi's job made sense.

Huh so Kanto had two made up Gyms even though it was supposed to have just 8. Scyther and Electabuzz hating red seemed like what bulls go through.

gentwoer

The fact that the two leading Pokemon of the rival gyms being triggered by red was random as hell. I guess maybe it's a reference to how both Scyther and Electabuzz are Red-version exclusive Pokemon?

Huh so Kanto had two made up Gyms even though it was supposed to have just 8. /QUOTE]

They were never officiated. Anyways we later learn there's far more than 8 gyms since Gary got 10 badges and only 3 of them were from the games and Otoshi from Bad to the Bone had a lot of non in-game badges too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Frankly, when we saw how much Pikachu loved ketchup here I thought it would become a recurrent gag of sorts, but I don't remember his ketchup fascination being brought up again.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
A boring filler episode. I liked Pikachu's love for ketchup but that was it.
3/10

I didn't even think his ketchup obsession was funny or witty or anything. It came out of nowhere and we never saw Pikachu like ketchup again after this episode. Talk about a weird idea.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
A boring filler episode. I liked Pikachu's love for ketchup but that was it.
3/10

I just wish that his obsession with the condiment had been expanded on. We didn't really learn why he liked it so much, whether it was because he liked the taste of ketchup or simply liked the red color.

I was mistaken when I saw this episode for the 1st time because I thought that the two Gyms here were official Gyms like from the games but they weren't. The war between the two wannabe Gyms was cool because it seemed like the kind of war that you'd see between ninja clans and Ash and his friends trying to stop the damage caused by their vendetta was fun. Pikachu loving ketchup and Nurse Joy's reveal as a Gym inspector were the best parts. 8/10