• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Showdown in Dark City (042)

GDE

Palette Professor
I lovesd this episode due to pikachu' new obsession with ketchup and because of scyther
purdy blades

Igottapoo

In my nightmares
I love the ketchup. Ketchup made this episode awesome ^_____^

MythrilDragon

This was such an epic episode!
Pikachu and the Ketchup bottle, the funny mixed up names, and the "That was dramatic....That was pathetic!" line... 'nuff said!

schrik

hysterical fan
Awesome episode! I was totaly in love with electabuzz, so when i see him in this episode, i knew this would be good.

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
Pikachu and that bottle of ketchup made this episode funny for me.

This episode was so much fun!

I laughed so hard at Pikachu's expression when its ketchup got cut.
XDDDD
And TR in red..... wow.

danparker

I remember this episode. I enjoyed it when I first watched it. It was enjoyable. I used to think that Electabuss looked like a tiger. It was cool of how Scyther can demolish buildings as well. Yeah, the ketchup was mostly funny, too. And also it was funny of how Ash, Misty and Brock made up their names, too.

Vipsoccermaster

I remember this episode about that ketchup thing. Pikachu was funny, messing with a bottle of ketchup. And Team Rocket covered with ketchup, hilarious.

Adam_stm

I remember this episode. I enjoyed it when I first watched it. It was enjoyable. I used to think that Electabuss looked like a tiger. It was cool of how Scyther can demolish buildings as well. Yeah, the ketchup was mostly funny, too. And also it was funny of how Ash, Misty and Brock made up their names, too.

Electabuzz is meant to be a tiger so you were right.
Also, I thought it was interesting to see the people first hate POKEMON trainers here.

I think that Scyther was the stronger of the two in terms of its powers in general. It is part Flying-type; so Electabuzz should have been able to fry it with little trouble. Scyther was only seen as evenly matched because it was at a type disadvantage.

porygon69

i always wondered WHY JESSE AND JAMES WERE PART OF THE KAS GYM?! and i actually thought that zangoose and seviper were a rip off of scyther and electabuzz. but no where in the games or manga does it say that electubuzz and scyther are enemies. they seem to have no relation at all. but this episode was hilarious, and the whole tom ato thing was hilarious as well

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The two Gyms in this episode really reminded me of warring nations that were fighting each other. Maybe that's what the writers intended? Anyway, funny stuff like Pikachu's love for ketchup being revealed in this episode and the two gyms fighting each other was exciting during most parts. I really wish we had more unofficial Gyms in the anime. This episode wasn't too disappointing, 9/10.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I loved scyther's moves.

It was amazing to see Pikachu using Thunder.

And i loved the kai gym more than Yes gym.

8/10

The ketchup moment is legendary. This is one if my favourite old episodes. I'd say 10/10.

I still have old videotapes (VHS) with really old nineties episodes (spoken in Dutch, I'm Dutch). Putting the empty video in the video recorder. Those episodes have so much history, nostalgia and they are humorous.

I still watch these old episodes sometimes. Sure, I can watch them on the Internet, but the video gives more nostalgia, which is almost a necessity for old episodes like this. And the TV screen is bigger than the screen of my laptop.

Milotic

Last edited:

G50

No longer posting
This was an ok episode. I do love the scene with Pikachu and the ketchup bottle, plus his reaction to it breaking. It was great seeing Nurse Joy stick it to the 2 battlers at the end.

25/100

Aquarelle

Staff member
Pikachu sure was heartbroken by the ketchup bottle, huh? :p

I found the setting of this episode to be a little unnerving. The town was so creepy with how dark and ghost-like it was. Electabuzz and Scyther freaked me out a little, becaused they seemed so scary and ferocious.

I liked the part at the end where those boys asked for Pikachu's autograph. Ash's reaction to that was priceless. ^_^