• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Showdown in Pewter City (005)

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
If Ash had done a bit of research on the gym before making his challenge he would have known that Pikachu would have little to no chance of winning.

In my opinion he should have taken Misty up on her offer, when she said he could borrow one of her water Pokemon.

schrik

hysterical fan
I still can't believe that brock left all his brother and sister for traveling throughout the world with someone he didn't know 3 hours before.

Zucht

Brock was a good gymleader, kinda sad that his dad leave Brock alone with his brothers and sisters. It was funny to see when, the father of Brock came back and Brock give him a list about his brothers and sisters XD

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
Ahhhh, definitely refreshing to see the good ole' naive Ash; where he actually believed that he could beat Brock with an Electric type & 2 Flying types. I think it would've been interesting if Ash would've caught a Mankey before he went to the Viridian Forest. But, then again, you don't really hear of many beginning trainers in the Anime catching a wild Mankey as their first Pokemon.
Looking back, I'm thankful that Brock joined up with the team because it would've been weird with just Ash & Misty...

I give this episode a:
5.1/10

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I like how Misty offered to help Ash but he refused it...

Awesome episode with Ash losing and getting a rematch in the same episode. I did enjoy Flint's training method because it was silly :p

Glad Brock joined Ash, 10/10

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Brock joining to Ash was actually the biggest thing that happened in this ep.

The gym battle wasn't good enough. Onix lost but not in a real battle.

getto89

Elite Four Sami
brock was so cool in this episode after that he became funny i liked how brocks dad just watches from afar

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Isn't it amusing how so many people quote this episode as the example of how Ash cheats, yet almost none of them actually seem to remember the "little" details, like Ash losing to Brock at first because of the type disadvantage, Ash having to supercharge Pikachu (to the point that unfocused attacks caused fires) to even be able to damage Geodude, how even with the supercharge Pikachu was too scared to even fight Onix, and how the sprinklers turned on because of the fires and not Pikachu's attacks.

Oh, and we can't forget how so many people forget that Ash did not accept his victory.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Isn't it amusing how so many people quote this episode as the example of how Ash cheats, yet almost none of them actually seem to remember the "little" details, like Ash losing to Brock at first because of the type disadvantage, Ash having to supercharge Pikachu (to the point that unfocused attacks caused fires) to even be able to damage Geodude, how even with the supercharge Pikachu was too scared to even fight Onix, and how the sprinklers turned on because of the fires and not Pikachu's attacks.

Oh, and we can't forget how so many people forget that Ash did not accept his victory.

People thought Ash cheated? That's funny.

Since it's an anime, I thought most of the rematch battle had to do with anime physics. The fires themselves, caused by accident and not intentionally. The sprinklers activating just because everything was so convenient, not because Ash and Pikachu willed them to.

JohnLee

I like how Misty offered to help Ash but he refused it...

Awesome episode with Ash losing and getting a rematch in the same episode. I did enjoy Flint's training method because it was silly :p

Glad Brock joined Ash, 10/10

Haha yeah. You don't see a gym loss and a gym rematch in the episodes anymore these days. It's a rare commodity.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
The rematch battle was kinda of a cheap shop for rock type Pokemon.Pikachu only won because he shocked the water springlers.It was a good idea for this episode.

8.5/10

BM14murph

Master Collector
Major Events:

BROCK DEBUTS!!!!

excuse my yelling but the second greatest protagonist in the anime makes his debut here as the gym leader - It makes me wish that brock continued to be a great pokemon trainer

We see the very first gym battle and how suitable that it is against ash's best friend. The gym battle was the first so can't fault it too much. We see our very first example of Ash winning a major battle by usuing his head and the environment and going against the games via the sprinklers

Flint and the kiddies make their debuts

Pikachu learns thunderbolt - possibly one of the most used moves in the history of the pokemon anime

Brock joins the party

Ash:
Pikachu
Butterfree
Pidgeotto

Misty(shown):
Goldeen

Brock:
Onix
Geodude

xxcandyvioletxx

Hunter Marie.
So I have a question. In this episode if I remember correctly, Brock says his mother died. Well, I heard somewhere that she reappears later in the anime? Is this true? o_O

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Aaah This is the Brock that I miss, the brawler, not the personal maid he is today. The way Pikachu won the battle always made me mad as a kid because I couldn't do it in the games XD, but now it's not such a big deal and I find it kinda cool. This was a great episode and a great debut for Brock, simply classic.

xxcandyvioletxx

Hunter Marie.
Can anyone answer my question above? ^^ I would really like to know as this would be a major fault for me in the series that really irks me. :/

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Can anyone answer my question above? ^^ I would really like to know as this would be a major fault for me in the series that really irks me. :/

It was a mistake in the dub. Flint did say that Brocks mother passed away in the dub, but he never said that in the original Japanese version, so she wasn't really dead. She does appear later in the anime on the 5th episode of Pokemon Chronicles in both the dub and Japanese versions.

xxcandyvioletxx

Hunter Marie.
Oh, wow thanks alot that's good to know. ^-^ I wasn't aware that it wasn't included in the Japanese version, that's interesting.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
She appears in the BF but I forget which episode.

Good episode, I know Pikachu can't defeat rock types but I liked how it happened by the sprinklers coming on. Of course Ash wouldn't accept Misty's water Pokemon even if he had to do it five times.

Brock was good in this episode, I can see why he joined them wanting to get out of there really.