• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Showdown in Pewter City (005)

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
The anime isn't completely following the games. And I think Pikachu's Thunderbolt was so supercharged that it could affect ground types as well.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
And I think Pikachu's Thunderbolt was so supercharged that it could affect ground types as well.

Or it was just convenient writing. I don't think that Pikachu's power being increased by Flint's training method was a good justification for Pikachu's Electric-type attack affecting Geodude for instance.

Biggest problems with this episode:

- Ash wanted to win a badge "all by himself" without Misty's help... so he got help from some random guy, and electrocuted his Pikachu to increase its power and this somehow worked... Wow. It's moments like this where Ash should learn some kind of lesson but instead he seems to get away with acting like a jerk often this season.
- It was way irresponsible of Brock to be so trusting of his father with his siblings, especially since his father ran off and Brock hadn't seen him in years.
- Ash got his first undeserved badge.

It would have been much better for Ash to learn about type advantages here and catch a Pokemon that would fare better against Brock, but instead we got a sob story done terribly wrong.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I appreciated how Misty offered to help Ash fight Brock and how Ash was stubborn and went to battle on his own. Flint's training method to help power Pikachu up seemed cool and I just wish that Ash had won the battle without so much convenience. ^^;

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When I watched this episode, there seemed to be something that didn't really make sense to me; Ash using Pikachu's extra-powered Thunderbolt on Onix along with a burst sprinkler and KOing Onix because of that. Seems that type matchups weren't considered a lot in this episode.

keepitsimple

site of lies
I think I would have preferred this episode if Ash learned to stop being conceited and stubborn and accepted Misty's help. Would have at least been better than the sprinkler nonsense.

JudySpell

Banned
4Kids messing up by saying Brock's mum was dead was a bad error on their part but I liked that Brock was serious here, not goofy like he gets later on.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I never understood this episode. Onix getting defeated with an Electric attack is illogical even when it got sprinkle with water. Ground is immune to Electric.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
4Kids messing up by saying Brock's mum was dead was a bad error on their part but I liked that Brock was serious here, not goofy like he gets later on.

In their defense they had no idea his mom would be relevant in the future, but yea they should've translated the episode accurately. ^^;

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I never understood this episode. Onix getting defeated with an Electric attack is illogical even when it got sprinkle with water. Ground is immune to Electric.

But at that time, Onix was being sprinkled by the sprinklers in the Gym and Pikachu electrified it. In fact it wasn't defeated by Pikachu's Electric attacks; it was defeated by the burst sprinklers.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Guess that is true but meh. 4Kids still lost some respect from me by making up her death.

Yes they definitely shouldn't have done that and instead just copied the dialogue that was said in the Japanese version, but hey the rest of the episode seemed pretty much the same as the original at least. ^^

Bananarama

The light is coming
Yes they definitely shouldn't have done that and instead just copied the dialogue that was said in the Japanese version, but hey the rest of the episode seemed pretty much the same as the original at least. ^^

Yeah, and they really had no reason for making it up in the first place. It's not like it was even important to the plot at all. They should've just said that she was gone or something.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, and they really had no reason for making it up in the first place. It's not like it was even important to the plot at all. They should've just said that she was gone or something.

Yeah it was a translation error. In English, 'gone' can sometimes be used as a kinder word for 'dead', but then 'gone' would mean that Brock's mother would be relevant to the plot. Or otherwise Brock just thought his mother was dead but realised she was alive later.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

It's funny how they complicated things for themselves by making up false info. ^^; Any ways I'm just glad that Flint went back to his family and set Brock free from his responsibilities.

My favorite part from here: Misty offering to lend Ash her Pokemon, but I'm glad he didn't accept her help and fought using his own team.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
The Pewter Gym re-match felt very cheap all because Ash's Pikachu only won when he shocked the fire sprinklers, which the Gym didn't even need since it was made of stone.

Pokemon Episode 5 "Showdown At Pewter City"
* James' random vocal crack
Wow, all caps title. Must be a REALLY important episode.
** "By the way, that'll be a 2 dollar charge for resting on my rocks"
There's another Nurse Joy! And she looks exactly the same! Kinda creepy, but oh well.
* Ash stuffing his face was a good chuckle.
Woah, what? The Bill is 1150 dollars? Cheapstakes.
Hahaha look how small the Pewter Gym sign is.
So it's been 2 weeks since he began his journey. Time IS passing!
Onix doesn't say it's name either. This inconsistency bothers me.
Aww, Pikachu's so CUTE in this scene!
** Good action scene, quite exciting.
Wow! Brock has tons of siblings, and they look EXACTLY the same!
WOW! 4Kids ACTUALLY mentioned Brock's mother dying! Surprised they didn't say she was "Sent to another dimension" or whatever. Brock's backstory is really dark for a kids show. Father left them, mother died, now he has to take care of his 10 kids. This show's a lot darker then I thought it would be.
And now Ash doesn't care about his broken home, and just wants to beat him. What a selfish jerk.
** Ash falling down upon learning the river was dry was pretty funny.
And he's decided to abandon Misty as well. Ash's characterization in this ep is very bad.
AND he's abusing his Pikachu just so he can beat Brock!
** Another strong action scene, Brock puts up a good fight.
Flint is his dad! And he ALSO looks exactly the same!
Closing Thoughts:
A decent, though not spectacular, episode.
The plot was good. Ash battles Brock in the Pewter City Gym, and wins a gym badge and a new friend. No filler, well-written, and exciting.
The action was top-notch, great drama between Onix and Pikachu.
Humor was decent, several laughs.
However, keeping it from getting a higher grade was Ash's characterization. He abuses his Pikachu just to try to win, and he doesn't care about Brock's tough life because he wants to win. What a jerk!
Still, 7/10.