• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Showdown in Pewter City (005)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Showdown in Pewter City!

Ash Arrives in Pewter City and decides to battle at the gym and loses miserably first time round. So Ash must train Pikachu so he can beat Brock's Pokémon. Can he do it?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

D

Dexie

This was a great episode.....it was a good way to introduce Brock into the series.

Too bad it was the first of the 'You didn't win, take the badge anyway' episodes. >>

J

Jade Mage

I really wished that Ash would earn more badges in Kanto. :|

And The whole "OMG your pikachu is so strong it can beat ground types" thing has always bothered me. :|

W

Waterstar Misty

This was a nice way to meet Brock for the first time, getting to learn about all his brothers and sisters was nice. Having Brock come along with Ash was really good cuz, I think without Brock, I wonder how Ash and co would eat and who would heal their pokemon.

F

Factory Head Noland

When Brock first appeared he seemed really nasty and serious.

Lets face it, Ash didn't have a chance of winning this battle. Pikachu, Pidgeotto and Butterfree...none of them were good for this battle.

H

Haruka-chan

Ah, I remember this episode... Flint taught Ash how to cheat o_O; Seriously though, Pikachu got powered up without training, they just shoved the electricity from the power plant into him o_O;

And I agree with the person that said Ash couldn't have won anyway, Flying and Bug types are weak against Rock, and Electric types do almost no damage. (except for Geodude, of course ^_^)

R

Ryuu

Oh yeah, wasn't this was the one where Pikachu made toast out of Geodude? XD

And Onix lost because the sprinklers were turned on. Plus we got to know about Brock's family.

Heh, Flint did help Ash a lot by powering up Pikachu.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Pokemonisgr8 said:
Lets face it, Ash didn't have a chance of winning this battle. Pikachu, Pidgeotto and Butterfree...none of them were good for this battle.

Butterfree could have helped. My Yellow version Butterfree took out Brock's Geodude in one hit with a Confusion attack, and probably would have made short work of Onix (if I hadn't swapped to Mankey and Low Kicked Onix to death). But then, had the writers gone with that, it would have made it too easy for Ash.

While reading the episode comparisons on Dogasu's website, I found a rather interesting tidbit about this episode - turns out there's an homage to "Fushigi Yuugi" towards the end, in that scene where all Brock's siblings are hanging off of Ash trying to stop him from instructing Pikachu to knock out Onix. A rather clever in-joke, I thought.

This was a decent episode. Learning Brock's history was cool. And, Pikachu's powerup was great. I loved it. Also, the sprinklers thing was good, as it gave an excuse for Onix to be hit by an Electric attack.

Overall rating:
7.7 out of 10!
Not the best Gym Epsiode ever, especially since it was a badge that wasn't given in the traditional way.

SC~ out

Last edited:

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Jesse GS the II said:
Butterfree could have helped. My Yellow version Butterfree took out Brock's Geodude in one hit with a Confusion attack, and probably would have made short work of Onix (if I hadn't swapped to Mankey and Low Kicked Onix to death). But then, had the writers gone with that, it would have made it too easy for Ash.

While reading the episode comparisons on Dogasu's website, I found a rather interesting tidbit about this episode - turns out there's an homage to "Fushigi Yuugi" towards the end, in that scene where all Brock's siblings are hanging off of Ash trying to stop him from instructing Pikachu to knock out Onix. A rather clever in-joke, I thought.

Butterfree could've also used Sleep Powder, but technically if your referring to the games, Butterfree doesn't learn it instantaneously as soon as it involves from Metapod unlike with confusion, but I don't recall him ever using it(confusion that is) - hmm shame, it's one of Butterfree's better attacks.

And no I don't ge the in-joke - who' or what's Fushigi Yuugi here?

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
The twins only eat cold spaghetti for breakfast, if I'm correct.

Ah, I dunno what to say. Oh yeah, I don't like how they say that Electric doesn't affect Rock types. Man, Electric doesn't affect Ground type.

Is this the first episode where they mention that water conducts electricity? They really don't have to repeat it so often.

Brock's family is cool.

8/10

S

Sekushii

Ah, I love this episode and all of Brock's little brothers and sisters.

T

Takuto

I think this episode was a very good one.Even though I didn't like the way it turned out.I was surprised Brock joined Ash.At the beggining I thought he was going to travel alone like in the games.

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
Ah...Brock is my favorite character (next to Ash), and this was a nice way to introduce him.

Too bad he didn't start going goo-goo eyes for girls until a few episodes later...

Oathkeeper

Pursuer of the Past
Hey, he did get quite a bit of character development with his family in this episode. It's too bad we don't hear about them again for a good long time.
Anyway, a great introductory episode to one of my favorite characters.

FlareonJupiter

F&J Manga-Ka
There's a minor blooper in this episode: Flint said Brock has 10 brothers and sisters, right? Wrong. I was looking at a film comic of this episode, and I counted the siblings who were all together in the kitchen. Brock has 9 little brothers and sisters! How'd they come up with 10?! If you have a tape/DVD of the episode, press the pause button when all the kids are in view and count them, or check out the film comic.

xyzman123

He's Mad I tell ya!!
This episode was good but not the best IMO. I really liked how Pikachu trained himself in that generator thingy.