• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Shuckle: Worth it?

Worth it?

• Yes! With that strategy, it's priceless!

Votes: 126 52.5%
  • No! It's still too risky to waste a spot on your team with.

Votes: 114 47.5%

• Total voters

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
If you're able to Power Trick and get any hits out, it's definitely worth it. But with the low speed and not-so-great HP, it could easily be taken out.

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
I wanted to do a small update on what i found out about shuckle.

Someone made a formula for finding out if shuckles huge defense/Special Defense made up for it's terrible Hp. I'm trying to hunt down that formula, it was on smogon.

He found that Shuckle's defensive performance was actually sub-par without higher than 304 Hp. Anyway, in the end he concluded that Cress was the best all-alround wall while blissey was the best special wall. Skarm tied with bronzong as physical wall but skarm broke out on top due to roost and spikes/ww support.

Argh, its irritating that i cant find the formula. either way shuckle can take a hit but in a game where pokemon have near-perfect IV's and being EV trained, Shuckle can't stand out due to the lack of a recovery move and being hit nuetral to stealth rock and Earthquake. (although his sandstorm immunity is a plus)

CHARIZARRRD

Butter Trainer
From Bulbapedia: Although the circumstances would be nearly impossible, a level 100 Shuckle can potentially deal the most damage in one single attack through the use of numerous stat boosters, by using Helping Hand, Metronome held item, Power Trick, a Skill Swap to Huge Power or Pure Power, and the Defense Curl/Rollout combo. On the 5th impact of Rollout, if used against a level 1 Ledyba or Yanma that have been hit with negative Defense modifiers (such as Screech), it can deal over 315,000,000 damage.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
From Bulbapedia: Although the circumstances would be nearly impossible, a level 100 Shuckle can potentially deal the most damage in one single attack through the use of numerous stat boosters, by using Helping Hand, Metronome held item, Power Trick, a Skill Swap to Huge Power or Pure Power, and the Defense Curl/Rollout combo. On the 5th impact of Rollout, if used against a level 1 Ledyba or Yanma that have been hit with negative Defense modifiers (such as Screech), it can deal over 315,000,000 damage.

Boy does that help this argument.

Elementer

Sword&Element Master
Do you mean for in-game use? If you mean that then its worth cosidering if you can't find anything else with good defenses. But if you're in compettitve battling, its a definitely a no-no. Even with its good defenses, hard hitters like LO salamence or the like will destroy him eventually. And imagine if its the last pokemon on your team. It's almost certainly a loss for you. You're better off with pokemon like Blissey or Bronzong if you want something with defense.

Registeel would suffice better in competitive battling more due to it's spread of 300+ base def and spk-def.

You can also have Lock-On + Zap Cannon.

RifleAvenger

See you starside
But,... It's a Gimmick....

I'd like to point out again is that with trick Room support, you could easily sweep a good half of a person's team with Shuckle.

It COULD, but I actually tried this on serebii, and most of the time it flunked because even though I got the combo out (which is even easier in doubles), my foe typically swapped out to a salamence or gyrados on the next turn, which avoids quake or (espcially w/gyra) can't be hit too hard by gyro ball. The intimidate takes away the massive attack and your left having almost wasted the start of the match. It was fun to use when it worked, but in the ten matches I used it in I lost 6 out of ten, I rematched all my opponents using a def Shuckle, and only lost against two of them (who were far better than I). While it can be fun as a lark, and effective at times, power trick shuckle even w/support can be dangerous even in doubles where the combo can be set up turn one w/ TR and PwrT. Defensive shuckle owns though, espcially in UU and NU.
I'm not slamming shuckle, I love it so, but pwrT shuckle is a gimmick, and a risky one at that since it takes up a party slot. In game it may work versus some. If you leave your foe with special attackers, it could work too, but the combo is harder to pull off late game in my own expiriences.

Dugtrio

Wendle,
I'd like to point out again is that with trick Room support, you could easily sweep a good half of a person's team with Shuckle.

Idid that to my firend then again this was a mixed tier match. Still i've been annoyed my shuckle a few times.

BTW i wonder what will happen if paralyse it.

sunny13

Proud Importer of HG
If your gonna use Shuckle, use it for it's defensive purposes. Power Trick combos are too risky.

Exactly. The only way I would use Shuckle is to stall. But then, I'm working on my first team I'm using Blissey as a stall. At least she has some physical ablity.

As some have said before, Regice would also be a good choice instead of Shuckle.

Monochrome

Shuckle, as said before, is a really overhyped pokemon. POwer Trick may look good in theory, as the stall sets may, but You must realise that Shuckle is COMPLETE SET UP BAIT for stuff like TauntDos, TauntDSAzelf, really anything.
Power Trick Shuckle will take out like maybe one of your opponents pokes, and once you do that they just switch in a physical attacker, and you're dead.
If you're using Stall Shuckle on a sandstall team, then thats about the only thing it can be ok-ish at really, and even then you are much better off with Cradily, considering it cant be Roared out, it boosts its already huge sdef stat, and it can afford to invest in maximum hp/def. Cradily also gets Recover, making it arguably one of the better special walls in SS conditions
OK, to get back on track: For power trick shuckle to work: you will have to build your WHOLE team around shuckle: Have something to lay down hazards, have something to remove priority attacker (scizor, lucario etc) and then have a reliable trick room user who can preferably explode or even use memento. Then you must waste a turn to set up, and FINALLY, you get two turns I think to "sweep".
So, if you want to center your team around a 2 two turn sweep, go ahead. You're much better off centering a team around SubAgilityPetaya Empoleon, who can actually sweep for more than two turns.