• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sibling Points of Views

Are you an...

• Older sibling

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • Younger sibling

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • Thank Goodness I'm an only child!

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Somethere in the middle...

Votes: 10 11.4%

• Total voters

kirby8933083

mai husbando
I'm stuck as the youngest of three girls, so it goes 19 > 17 > 15 (me). I found it absolutely horrifying when I was younger, but when we grew older sibling tension just became non-existent. As little kids though we rarely had the typical sibling problems relating to age, maybe the only one we had were my sister saying "Mom always sides with you!" 'cause I'm the kiddie. D: Their fault anyway for always taking advantage of me and tricking me. Eh, no wonder I've learned to be more of a loner. Still now I see the perks of being the youngest. Last one in the house, always someone to drive me around, plus it makes the fact that I'm the tallest funny. (b'-')b

Right now the only problem I have as the youngest is my parents saying "You're right on track with where your sisters were." when they are talking about my grades. ¬_¬ I feel like I should be passing them or something. The fun of sibling rivalry. Though I do like using their class history as a guide for me. Then it also causes the problem of teachers saying "Oh, your so-and-so's little sister!"

Profesco

gone gently
I'm the eldest of three, and there's a ten-year gap between me and the next. I think we'd fit into most of the studies about birth order. I've been in the teacher/role model outfit to both my sisters; the middle one acts out the most; the youngest is the most cute and creative. I've done a lot of parenting for the girls, so once in a while, they rebel against my authority, but our relationship is altogether a very supportive and happy one, I believe. I do love them dearly, anyway. ^_^

ChedWick

I'm the middle child and it pretty much sucks. I grew up with two older brothers whom were 5 and 6.5 years older than myself and one younger sister who is 5 years younger than I.

It pretty much sucked. My older brothers had each other and while my second oldest went through the middle child syndrome deal it was only for a short while (he only has a short while longer to mature and be part of the activities of older family members in the same age group) I on the other hand pretty much lived through the whole middle child ordeal. I have no family members who aren't at least 5 years younger or older than me so I lived a rather boring family life. My mom was also very sheltering so I didn't have a whole lot of friends, just a few close ones. Now days that's how I like it.

I would have loved to have a twin brother or someone with in 2 years of myself when growing up. It would have been a whole different childhood.

I'm the youngest sibling of two (my brother's 15, I'm 13). Honestly, there are both good and bad things about being the youngest sibling. The good things are that my parents never get me in trouble, even though I've obviously done something wrong. Also, they let me buy whatever I want, but I don't take advantage of that. The bad things are, that since I'm smarter than my brother (I'm going to be in 9th grade honors classes and he barely got out of his special reading classes), he ALWAYS asks me questions about anything and everything. Also, being the younger one, my brother ALWAYS says "Dey liek yuu bettur" and since he acts like a wannabe gangster/wannabe skater, people assume I'm a wannabe gangster/skater also. :/

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
i'm the youngest brother of the 3 that lived in house and i allways took things for what they are. why complain about the fact that you are the youngest while you can easely do other things. i must admitt that both of my brothers knew alot about specific things. my middle brother knows all about the local nature and my oldest brother knows alot about computers & it's hardware while i know more about other things. i sometimes miss the squabbling we had in the past. we did that from time to time but we were allways happy with eachother when we were kids.

Last edited:
I am an only child, so when I hear my friends going my brother or sister is so annoying, im always like, sorry I don't know how you feel.

When people tell me how lucky I am to be an only child i dont agree, because i feel as though I have missed out in some ways by not having any siblings, like that I haven't learned to share and stuff..

Last edited:

Rheine

Stabby McStabface
Hmm..I'm an only child, and it would be nice to have a sibling, although, yeah, I've heard conflicts like those.
I have a fake sister though, I love to annoy her <3

DarkGypsy

A Better Insight (Maybe)

I think what a lot of younger siblings and parents don't understand at the time is. There's no guide that appears out of nowhere to tell an older sibling "How To Be" an older sibling. Especially when there's a huge age gap. We get thrown all this extra stuff but still have to map out our way on our own without anyone to help us.

Right now my sister is 13. Very opinionated, challenges and questions what I say, rebeling and talking back a little. The works...

It can be challenging a lot of the time... It's like you don't know when to help and when to let go and wash your hands from it all. Lots of feeling like you're walking on egg-shells, because you don't know when the timebomb is going to tick.

I don't think younger siblings (in general) at the time of pre-teens and maybe teen years, don't understand how difficult it is to be the older one. (not saying it's peachy being the youngest either but...)

When your first born parents usually don't know how to parent. Parents are still in their rough way adjusting to parenthood (because there's no magic book that gives them all knowledge). They learn and grow and react in more of a raw way, than they would do once the 2nd child comes along. So the younger child's path might be paved smoother. (not counting for the siblings that are in the older one's shadow though.)
And to us older one's, when you are born... we start like how the parents were brainless cold mindless fools lol) and we have to roughly learn from our mistakes. Sadly at your expense.
ESPECIALLY if we (at the time) are in our "teenage years".

Being 1st, we were probably spoiled, got all the attention, had no responsibilites, etc. and then your lovely faces came along lol. Immediately when you enter this world it all changes. We get the "you should be more responsible talk, act your age talk", we get more chores, get pressured to be good role models, get cast aside more than we're used to (if not a lot).
It's like we're expected from EVERYONE to automatically know how to be this given role and in reality we have no freaking clue!

Younger siblings can get away with so much more stuff than we could. Which is a pain (do you know how many spankings I would've NOT had if I were the youngest, and I wasn't even a bad kid.)

And sometimes we might "overstep" our boundaries as older siblings. It's a see-saw of what's mom/dad-like and older sibling-like. At first we don't know where the boundaries are or how to deal and go about something.

As the oldest (of course) everytime I'm "not perfect" I get told up, down, sideways and every other direction. Yet, my sister doesn't get any of it because "she's growing and finding her way, or it's ok." At her age when I was "growing, and finding my way" I STILL was put in my place every which direction that exists. But that's the way it goes. *shrugs* It goes with the title I guess.

*~That's my personal view as an older sister. I would really like to know a younger siblings guide of what they go through.~*

Last edited:

Haruka

Banned
Technically, I'm a middle child, due to my older half brothers. When we were separated though, I naturally have always taken on the role of the eldest for my younger brother.

Tbh, me and him don't have a lot of the same problems other siblings seem to have. My parents know that I'm capable of looking after myself, so I've never felt the need to fight for their affections with my brother. I act more like a best friend to him than a mom too, so he respects my opinion and knows he can come to me with anything without being babied or screamed at. But if there's one thing the OP listed that's true, it's "My sibling doesn't understand me!". We have completely opposite personalities for the most part. Extremely troublesome for understanding his motives, but in the end, it works out without too many bruises.

All in all, I think being the older one has so many rewards. You're knowledgeable, have more life experience, are looked up to, and basically get to do whatever you want because, if you're not a pathological liar, you're trusted. But hey, I bet being younger is cool too. As long as he's on my good side, all my brother has to do is ask, and he gets anything he wants. On the other hand though, if he's acting like a brat, I can beat him up to my heart's content. Win win. ;)

Santaria

the best CHOICE?
I'm oldest of three children, and let me tell you, NOT easy. My parents expect me to take care of them, do whatever they want, etc. I'm not saying being the youngest sibling is a trip to the ice cream truck, but being older isn't much more fun either.

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
I'm a middle child. I get the crackdown from the mistakes of my older brother, and I have the responsibility of a younger brother.

gtab x3

I am the oldest, and pretty much get to be the most responsible, and i get to boss aroundf my brothers, whenever i want, but it gets hard when both brothers, are fed up with you and are willing to do anything to bother you.

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
I'm the oldest brother of two, but I was an only child for quite a while before that, and then the oldest of two before that. It's a long story that I don't really like to think about. V_V

Anyways, by younger brother is still at a very young age, and even though I try to teach him things (Hell, I've even tried to teach him advanced words such as excellent, crimson, and azure, which, needless to say, all ended in failure), he hardly ever picks up on things.

He seems more interested in toys then myself, so our relationship is kind of strained. He's not a very good listener, either. Eh, babies will be babies. *shrugs*

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I'm the middle child out of 3, but I'm the second oldest if you count my 2 half siblings.

Because my older brother is in college and he was an Honor student in high school, I'm sort of under pressure because of the high expectations. Personality-wise, me and my older brother get along, and he's the closest family member that I can trust.

My little brother, who's 2 years my junior, is a bit rougher. We sort of have a love/hate relationship, and sometimes I feel less mature because of all the crap I let him get away with when I was too apathetic to care.

Being the middle child in general, I usually feel overlooked. It might have to do more with that, while I like my family, they can really annoy me sometimes and I prefer to be more introverted because of their different (and annoying) sense of humor.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
My brothers and i get equal attention.

And we ACCUALLY get along.

So everythings good.

DarkGypsy

I'm the middle child out of 3, but I'm the second oldest if you count my 2 half siblings.

Because my older brother is in college and he was an Honor student in high school, I'm sort of under pressure because of the high expectations. Personality-wise, me and my older brother get along, and he's the closest family member that I can trust.

My little brother, who's 2 years my junior, is a bit rougher. We sort of have a love/hate relationship, and sometimes I feel less mature because of all the crap I let him get away with when I was too apathetic to care.

Being the middle child in general, I usually feel overlooked. It might have to do more with that, while I like my family, they can really annoy me sometimes and I prefer to be more introverted because of their different (and annoying) sense of humor.

Hi Krake,

Do you feel like you'd be willing to be more of an extrovert if your family calmed down their "different" probably more extroverted personalities?