• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sibling Points of Views

Are you an...

• Older sibling

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • Younger sibling

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • Thank Goodness I'm an only child!

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Somethere in the middle...

Votes: 10 11.4%

• Total voters

teetee99

Pokemon master
I like being the oldest in the family and my brother coty is the oldest to hes 17 and hes very funny.

Erienne

Anime high :D
Being a sibling in general has its advantages and disadvantages. If you're the oldest you have most of the authority on the younger sibling, until at least the younger sibling is near your size. However, if the difference is more than 5 years, I would call that a non-issue.

If you're the younger sibling you usually get more attention, the "baby" of the family. However you get usually measured up to your older sister/brother and expected to do either better or as good as them. Neither apply in my case, but that's a usual scenario.

I am an older sibling and it feels great.
I have all the power and can't be bullied.
It Feels really great to be older.

spareux

maldición
I'm the youngest, but by 14 and 18 years to my siblings. They have their own lives obviously, so in some ways (and at least around our house) I'm essentially an only child.

Having such age gaps and convenient circumstances probably helps the fact I've never had any real conflict with my siblings. I'm not overshadowed academically because I'm the first one to choose to progress to higher education, and monetarily my parents don't need to worry about my other siblings because of their age and accompanied independence.

So being the youngest doesn't really bother me at all.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
I have one younger sibling, who let's just say... can be either way. Sometimes she's really helpful, but other times she's like a tornado, destroying everything in her sight (including me).

Overall.... I think having a younger sibling is OK, if mine would just stop acting like a 4 year old.

I'm the oldest, but meh. I was never the bossy type, so didn't have that problem. My brother and I did fight a lot when I was ~14, but that's not a problem now. The only problem I really had with being the oldest was my stepdad and other the boyfriend my mum had, they expected so much responsibility from me but nothing from my brother.

TSL

Mischievous.
I'm the youngest, and also the most unique, without a doubt.

Even physically.

Both my siblings have blue eyes, and brown hair.
I have brown eyes and ginger hair. And I love it.

But really, my sister hated my existence and still does. She was ****** when she wasn't going to be the center of attention anymore. And she pretty much verbally took me down when I was growing up ;p

My brother was always being a moron, whether that involved riding a dirt bike or getting high off of chemicals.

And my sister now has more problems with my brother than me, because my dad is always bailing him out of his shitty life that he created.

I don't care for either of them. My brother is too "intense", my sister, as mentioned, is still a *****.

I take pride in knowing that I'm the intelligent one. My bro dropped out of high school, my sister only took the base 4 years of college for PSYCHOLOGY (yeah right), and her grades weren't super stellar (I mean, obviously enough to get into college).
But I'm the one kicking ***, set on a path to overshadow them both.

In addition, I've also picked up the traits of being interested in art (I write, and am a HUGE music fan), and a very independent thinker. This is mostly because in my most impressionable years, I was often informing myself of things. Also, surprisingly enough, the catholic school that I go to (even though I despise religion) helped breed this independent thinking.

As I said, I'm quite the different box set.

freakyboy05

Swing the bat
I guess being the oldest is OK since I get some authority9 and I'm the tallest in the house), but it also brings responsibility. I'm the one that has to do most of the chores and I'm supposed to be nice to my siblings.
My siblings are hell, well not them but their personalities.
My brother is cranky and my sister thinks she is 21 while she is just 10.
But it isn't terrible to be with them, in fact it's quite nice.

ijea4444

I'm the youngest sibling and I get off free most of the time, and my older siblings get punished more easily.

??????

That guy.
Number 3/4 kids. I have an older sister, and older brother (Both in College), and a younger sister. I get along with them perfectly.

This thread is just one big whinefest.

ZOMG MY LITTLE SIST3R IS LEIK SO ANNOYIN AND GETS ALL THE ATTENTRIONZ
ZOMG MY OLDER BRO ALWAYS MAKES FUN OF MEH AND HURTZ MAH FEELINS

I guess being the eldest makes you a attention whore, and being the youngest makes you a pussy. I guess I get the best deal, then.

Last edited:

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
It gets annoying to be the youngest, my sis does always act like my third person, I thought since we are 21 it would be alot easier now then when we were like 12 because I thought relationships were better with siblings then, but it must be when they aren't living with you anymore.
And sometimes she acts like a teacher and she always moody, going crazy about the dishes and crap, I just want to move out so I don't have to deal with that. Oh and she never lets me forget I am the youngest, plus see she can go on a cruise ship if she wanted but I can't, I am 21 yet I get to do less things then my sis does (Oh and yeah we are twins, by 20mins and never lets me forget)

See I got three older brothers too, two of them have moved out, and the other is disabled but none of them bother me, I don't see my two older brothers that much and my relationship with them is fine, and even then they don't give me crap about being the youngest or act like my parent.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm the oldest of six (count them, six, and we were all planned) children, and I'm the only girl. So I basically have to watch my brothers a good majority of the time. The two older boys, who are both 15, don't really listen to me much and constantly bother me about this and that even when I keep telling them no. The third youngest (middle boy) is always quiet and keeps to himself and is sometimes bullied by the older twin (jealousy, but he always denies it), with the two youngest, what with them being autistic, being very noisy and getting on my nerves. But that's always expected with younger siblings, eh?

There is a gap between the twins and the middle boy by five years, and so for the longest time, people thought us older children were triplets. Why? We were about the same height, give or take half an inch (for a LONG time until they hit puberty, then that was when they began calling me "Shorty"). The youngest twin was the tallest with me in the middle and the older twin the shortest. It was the weirdest, most funny thing in our family.

I've been told not too long ago that it wasn't an accident that I'm the oldest child in our family. And like all eldest siblings, I am to help guide my little siblings and help alongside my parents. I think I've agreed to something in heaven and that's why I don't have a sister, but that's unclear. I'm just going to blame the vitamins my mom has been taking for years, all that alkaline ruined my chance for a little sister >_< (she even agrees with me). And I gotta say, it's scary watching my brothers grow up 0_o. And other girls with younger brothers about a couple of years younger than them have agreed with me. I still love my brothers, however, and I would've had more siblings, but my mom almost had a stroke with the youngest and after getting a C-section, she had her tubes tied.

Well, I hope I get plenty of daughters to make up for the lack of sisters. I wonder if that's in the pact.

bonslyclogsthetoilet

BoomGoesTheDynamite!
Everyone is different basing on difference in situations, family's personality and your own personality.

As for me, being younger of two
cons:
-being shadowed by my overachieving, role model older sibling
-older sibling getting seniority on anything before me
-lack of trust from parents being the younger
-constantly being controlled and dominated by older sibling

pros:
-not having to worry about being a role model and maintain respect from younger sibling and always having to stay one step ahead of them in life so you won't look bad as older sibling

To me, that one "pro" totally outweighs all of the cons. So I'm happy being the youngest sibling.

dark rift

I'm an only child, which sometimes I don't like because it can make things really lonly/boring, but if I had a choice I'd prefer a sibling around the same age/twin, otherwise I'm happy being an only child.

I am the younger of the two, and I prefer it to be kept like that.

Having someone older is useful especially to help me learn right from wrong. It's not like a "don't be like your sister" kind of thing, she's actually a good role model.

And being younger lets me get most of the attention from my mum.

Though it does get annoying when she gets things first... but then I don't have to wait as long to get them (she got her laptop when she was 18, I'm getting mine when I'm 16).

That IQ decreasing with more children is a load of bull. I'm easily much more smart than my sister... or at least in maths/science.

I would hate having a little brother/sister, I'd end up trying to be their 3rd parent or something.

I'm the eldest of two, my little sister is three years younger than me.

Sometimes I feel she's favored more. There's DEFINATELY a lot of pressure put on the older sibling, that's for sure. I'm pretty damn lazy, but my little sister is A LOT lazier than I am.

She also seems very unsure about a lot of things. Oddly enough, she seems to look up to me. She dresses and acts a lot like me, which is kinda creepy. I mean really, who would like to be like ME? Haha.

Anyways, as for the younger siblings being dumber, I'm not sure on that. :/ My sister's in below-level classes, and I was in AP, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. She's just not that interested in normal learning.

cocoa_adele

I'm the youngest child in my family with an older brother
I look up to him and also have a similar voice to him =S
i think I get a bit more attention than he does, but he doesn't resent me

Despite the age gap we're quite close =]