• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

*sighs* GCSE's...

Elementman-Novapoke

*sighs* GCSEs...

Well, I think this only applies for us Brits, but it may apply to other people too. The more, the merrier, I s'pose.

So, for those in year 9, what have you chosen for your GSCE's?
For those in either year 10 or 11, what subjects are you doing currently; what's your opinion on them?
And for those who have done their GCSE's, what was it like, what subjects did you do; what grade did you acheive?

I, am in year 9, and an doing 15 GCSE's:
Maths, Statistics, English Language, English Lit, R.E, Physics, Biology, Chemisty, an I.T qualification ( = B), French, History, Business Studies (Counts for 2), Product Design (after school) and Astronomy (also after school).
Doing IT and R.E this year.

Last edited:

Blazios

I'm in Year 10.

Taking English Language and Lit, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Spanish, French and Maths. I'm doing the Maths and French GCSEs a year early as well.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
Lol, I thought the title was somehow referring to 2nd generation in Pokemon xD.

Dimbat

Arr...
GCSEs, no apostrophe! You'll need to know that fact to do well in English! XD.

I'm in Year 13. For my GCSEs I took the compulsory Double Science, Maths, English Lit, English Lang, RS (short-course), ICT (short-course) and the optional Geography, French, Art and Systems&Control.

If you've any specific questions about any of them, I'll try to answer.. though it has been a while ^^.

Little_Pikachu

With Action Amusing!
This year will be exactly 10 years since I did my GCSEs so my memories are a little hazy, all I can remember is enjoying study leave although I was annoyed as most of my exams were in the morning so I didn't get any lie ins.

Back in the day we were pretty hard done by, I took English, English lit, French, Maths, Dual Science, Technology, Geography and Media studies, yep, only 9, was never given the option to do any more Religious Ed wasn't even a GCSE subject in them days and Astronomy? WTF?

Don't worry about them, I mean yes, 15 A* will probably look awsome to your potential college and your mum will be real proud of you, but when you get on a bit it's sort of the last thing any potential employers look at, so don't worry too much about them, you will always get another chance to put something more impressive on your CV so it's not the end of the world if you don't do as well as you hoped.

berty106

yr 11 best year of my life so far! GCSEs were great, bummed around for 2 years and came out with aload of As Bs and the odd A* and an awesome summer to end it.
had to do english lang&lit, maths, double sience [wanted to do tripple but they made RE compulsory =(] RE and chose textiles, art, classical civilisations [easiest thing in the world =D] and french ekk, i find english hard enough xD
12&13 haven't treated me that bad, just so much work =/

oh, i want a time machine to go back =( enjoy it little young one!

muckers

*yawn*
Did mine three years ago, i'm in my first year of Uni now.

GCSEs weren't too bad really. the only real stressful thing was the sheer amount of exams. You're taking 9 GCSEs, and probably have 15+ papers to sit...

So long as you grasp knowledge of the material, which isn't particularly hard, then you'll be fine.

Don't worry about them, I mean yes, 15 A* will probably look awsome to your potential college and your mum will be real proud of you, but when you get on a bit it's sort of the last thing any potential employers look at, so don't worry too much about them, you will always get another chance to put something more impressive on your CV so it's not the end of the world if you don't do as well as you hoped.

And this.

Seriously, so long as you achieve the grades to get you into further education (6th form, college...whatever you choose to) I wouldn't worry about getting perfect grades at GCSE.

Employers rarely look at them, if ever, and Universities only look at them if you're an Oxbridge candidate where virtually all the applicants get all A*s/As.

Just revise, do your best and get grades you're pleased with. That's all that really matters at this stage.

GCSEs are really just a stepping stone - once you're where you need to be using them, they're virtually pointless.

EDIT: As for me I did Eng. Lit. + Lang, History, Maths, Combined Sciences, French, ICT, Music and Media Studies.

I got three As and the rest Bs.

Elementman-Novapoke

Gee, cheers everyone. I didn't really ask for advice, but it's useful; good stuff.

@ Little_Pikachu: What's so wrong about Astronomy?

Also, today, I realised that mostly 'retards' (well, uber dumb people) are chosing history. It's making me consider chosing it now. What to do?

berty106

I chose History because the other option was Geography, which I happen to loathe.

we had that, or classics. i didn't really want to do any of them =/
guess they want you to have a range of differnt things to keep your options open. like 'strongly advising' you to do a modernn language! gah

boar

15 GCSEs seems rather a lot. A lot of unis don't seem bothered about GCSEs although if you're interested in oxford or cambridge the extras may help you get in.

OJG

r u not entertained
I'm in Year 10, and we're doing preperation and coursework atm :)

I'm doing;
Double Science
English Language
English Lit.
Maths
Graphic Products
Physical Education (the theory part aswell)
ICT Diploma
History
French
Italian
Spanish

I only started Spanish this year, and i'm already working at an A. I'm predicted A in every subject (except English, in which i'm predicted A* ;)).

Mamoswine Power

I do 11 gcses

maths
add maths
english lit
drama
Ict
businees studies
Learning for life and work
R.E
Geography
physics
english ? another kind but i can't remember what its called)

I am awful at lanuages which is why i didn't do any

Skeith

(◕‿‿◕)
Meh GCSE's are over hyped by the school system (e.g. you MUST get all A*'s or just go work in Macdonalds) but seriously colleges seem to be more interested in your work/you than your gcse's and plus you fail, you retake them its not the end of the world. Trust me I did R.E., Art, Drama, English, Maths, Science and Graphics at gcse's yet when I applyed for college coruses they seemed more interested in my Jewelery work.

Last edited:

facetious

facetious
15 GCSEs seems rather a lot. A lot of unis don't seem bothered about GCSEs although if you're interested in oxford or cambridge the extras may help you get in.
I heard that GSCE's are too easy and don't help the brainy students stretch their minds enough. So doing 15+ GSCE's doesn't mean that you're smart, just that you have no life.

Dimbat

Arr...
Actually it would be GCSE's. The plural of an abbreviation is always marked with an apostrophe.

Really!? I'm gonna need some proof for this before I accept it, I'm afraid!

Just checking the absolutely 100% reliable source of wikipedia, which states:

To form the plural of an abbreviation, a number, or a capital letter used as a noun, simply add a lowercase s to the end.

* A group of MPs
* The roaring '20s
* Mind your Ps and Qs

To form the plural of an abbreviation with periods, a lowercase letter used as a noun, and abbreviations or capital letters that would be ambiguous or confusing if the 's' alone were added, use an apostrophe and an s.

* A group of Ph.D.'s
* The x's of the equation
* Sending SOS's

While some authors use the apostrophe in all plural abbreviated forms, it is generally best avoided except as above to prevent ambiguity with the possessive form.

So yeah, if you have a more reliable source then I'll take a look. I guess it's good that I don't study English anymore if I'm wrong XD.

But back on topic.. I agree. GCSEs are made out to be worth a lot more than they actually are.. I don't think they'd play a big factor in your university application unless you're applying to a top 3 university.. or for Medicine or something like that. Then again, if you're not doing decently in your GCSEs then you're most likely going to either struggle with the content of A Levels, or not be used to putting in the effort required and not reaching your full potential.

Oh, and planning to take a subject because it's apparently easy is never a good idea, 'cause it probably won't be. Different people find different things easy, too...

Amaranth

Swag
Year 11, As Im On The G+T Register We Were Made To Do Some G.C.S.E's In Year 9, Then We I Did R.E Last Year Because Doing It For Another Year Would Of Been Stupid.

Already Done;
R.E
Fine Art
French
I.C.T

Doing;
Dual Science
English Lit
English Lang
Maths >:
Drama
Geography