• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Silly things you thought or believed when you were a kid

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
This is probably the stupidest thing I ever thought as a kid. You might even laugh at it a bit.

I thought rock music was called rap. So instead of "rock 'n' roll", I'd think of it as "rap 'n' roll".

There was this clipart image of two dinosaurs rocking out on the electric guitar to blaring amplifiers, but because of this belief, I called it Dinosaur Rap. Now I know it's supposed to be Dinosaur ROCK, because they're playing ROCK music. Get it? ;)

CoolClips_even0420.png

dino-rock-3.jpg

It looked sort of like this, but I clearly remember there being two dinosaurs, one singing and another playing guitar.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Our local church, when I was a kid was built into a steep slope. Because of that behind the church was a sort of concrete drainage ditch that seperated the church from the higher ground. It was like at least a metre/3 feet in diameter and ran along the whole backside of the church.
When I was a young child, I thought the Devil lived there, for some reason it just seemed so logical for me that the devil would live right behind/under the church.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When I was a kid, I thought that I could go to another world by locking myself in a bathroom and closing my eyes. I would imagine going to different places by doing so but it ended up to my surprise whenever it didn't happen.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
When I was a kid, I thought that I could go to another world by locking myself in a bathroom and closing my eyes. I would imagine going to different places by doing so but it ended up to my surprise whenever it didn't happen.

I tried a similar thing. I would go under a table or my bedsheets, block my ears and try to imagine another place I wanted to be as hard as I could. It didn't work, of course.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I tried a similar thing. I would go under a table or my bedsheets, block my ears and try to imagine another place I wanted to be as hard as I could. It didn't work, of course.
Except some of the thoughts were what I personally found interesting. I was definitely a great distraction from what else was going on by focusing more on the vivid imagination.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought the seasons were the same throughout the world, even in the southern hemisphere. So when it was winter in England, for example, it would also be winter in Australia. Now I know that's not the case - I've seen pictures of Australians celebrating Christmas with barbecues on the beach. ;)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I thought the seasons were the same throughout the world, even in the southern hemisphere. So when it was winter in England, for example, it would also be winter in Australia. Now I know that's not the case - I've seen pictures of Australians celebrating Christmas with barbecues on the beach. ;)
I always knew it was always summer in Australia whenever Christmas happened. But I did wonder why it was so because I was already familiar with Christmas being a winter thing.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I always knew it was always summer in Australia whenever Christmas happened. But I did wonder why it was so because I was already familiar with Christmas being a winter thing.

I always find it kind of weird celebrating Christmas in a hot climate, as I always associate it with snow.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I always find it kind of weird celebrating Christmas in a hot climate, as I always associate it with snow.
I guess my idea of Christmas being a wintery thing is because of Santa being so-called living at the North Pole. But it can be hard to think about Christmas not being associated with snow, especially from the exposure to snow in Christmas movies and texts like The Polar Express, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and A Christmas Carol (and that not everyone really cares about Australia).

Orphalesion

I guess my idea of Christmas being a wintery thing is because of Santa being so-called living at the North Pole. But it can be hard to think about Christmas not being associated with snow, especially from the exposure to snow in Christmas movies and texts like The Polar Express, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and A Christmas Carol (and that not everyone really cares about Australia).

Before being associated with Jesus, Christmas was a celebration of the winter solstice, from that moment on the days got longer again, heralding the eventual coming of spring. So it really is a winter holiday.

My people celebrate it in the wrong season D: We should celebrate it in like, June around here.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Before being associated with Jesus, Christmas was a celebration of the winter solstice, from that moment on the days got longer again, heralding the eventual coming of spring. So it really is a winter holiday.

My people celebrate it in the wrong season D: We should celebrate it in like, June around here.
Or that the first settlers didn’t know about that at first and were used to celebrating it in December, which is winter in the Northern Hemisphere. They instead improvised under hotter temperatures where there were no snow and supplies from England were hard to obtain and instead used native plants and more localised supplies. That later evolved into the Australian Christmas we know today.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Or that the first settlers didn’t know about that at first and were used to celebrating it in December, which is winter in the Northern Hemisphere. They instead improvised under hotter temperatures where there were no snow and supplies from England were hard to obtain and instead used native plants and more localised supplies. That later evolved into the Australian Christmas we know today.

You're not Australian by any chance, are you?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
You're not Australian by any chance, are you?
I am living in Australia right now and no, I am Australian. So Christmas here has been pretty different to the Christmas that is celebrated in most parts of the world.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

Speaking of A Christmas Carol, I always thought the events of that story happen in one night. It would make sense as it's meant to take place during the night of Christmas Eve to Christmas morning. And isn't the Ghost of Christmas Future basically the Grim Reaper?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Speaking of A Christmas Carol, I always thought the events of that story happen in one night. It would make sense as it's meant to take place during the night of Christmas Eve to Christmas morning. And isn't the Ghost of Christmas Future basically the Grim Reaper?
At least it just looks like the Grim Reaper. It didn't really kill Scrooge on the spot but he was there to warn him of the consequences if he did not change his ways.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
At least it just looks like the Grim Reaper. It didn't really kill Scrooge on the spot but he was there to warn him of the consequences if he did not change his ways.

In the 2009 film version (the one with Jim Carey), Future actually tries to kill Scrooge outright. In all the other versions, he was just there as a warning. The one adaptation I've seen the most is the Muppets version.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In the 2009 film version (the one with Jim Carey), Future actually tries to kill Scrooge outright. In all the other versions, he was just there as a warning. The one adaptation I've seen the most is the Muppets version.
Oh. I guess it's more like it in the movie version.

For a while, I thought that the plague doctor was a bird because of the beak-shaped nose one would have.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Oh. I guess it's more like it in the movie version.

For a while, I thought that the plague doctor was a bird because of the beak-shaped nose one would have.

I think that was more for superstitious reasons.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think that was more for superstitious reasons.
I know now that they were there to use the scenting from their noses in the belief that they will cure their patients. Back in the day, bad smells were associated with disease.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I used to think that the carpal tunnel was a place like the channel tunnel. I also used to be horrible at pronouncing things, I said unique as un-quite and Trafalgar as tri-fang-ular.