• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Silly things you thought or believed when you were a kid

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
When I was younger I used to believe in the supernatural because I watched a ghost hunting show once. I was interested in those shows for years until I came to the realization that the editors can essentially shape the narrative for the episode. They can chop up interviews, footage, and sound to make things more interesting.

This video I found essentially shows the realization I came to.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used to think that the carpal tunnel was a place like the channel tunnel. I also used to be horrible at pronouncing things, I said unique as un-quite and Trafalgar as tri-fang-ular.

I used to say "seven" as "fuffun". Yeah, I don't know how that happens. o_O

I say Chicago as Chick-ah-go, rather than Shi-kago.

When I was younger I used to believe in the supernatural because I watched a ghost hunting show once. I was interested in those shows for years until I came to the realization that the editors can essentially shape the narrative for the episode. They can chop up interviews, footage, and sound to make things more interesting.

This video I found essentially shows the realization I came to.

I half-believe in ghosts, mostly because my sister said she saw one at one of our old houses during the night. It might've been just our mum, though.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
For some reason I believed that the zombies could come out of graves and attack people’s houses one night. Part of that was because I lived close to a cemetery.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
For some reason I believed that the zombies could come out of graves and attack people’s houses one night. Part of that was because I lived close to a cemetery.

It's kind of like that Stephen King book, Pet Sematary. You know, the one where dead cats come alive as zombie cats during the night?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It's kind of like that Stephen King book, Pet Sematary. You know, the one where dead cats come alive as zombie cats during the night?
I don't know that one that much. I was thinking about the zombies of dead humans rather than the zombies of pets and other sorts of animals.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used to think that if you looked under your bed, even for a fleeting second, monsters would come out and kidnap you. This was because of a movie called Don't Look Under the Bed, which was a... Disney movie! :eek:

(I mentioned this is the 'Things in media that scared you as a kid' thread.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I used to think that if you looked under your bed, even for a fleeting second, monsters would come out and kidnap you. This was because of a movie called Don't Look Under the Bed, which was a... Disney movie! :eek:

(I mentioned this is the 'Things in media that scared you as a kid' thread.)
Yeah I definitely remember that. When I was a kid I didn't get out of my bed too much because I thought there could be some ghost lurking around waiting to kill someone who is out of bed. Nowdays I feel more confident with getting out of bed on my own.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah I definitely remember that. When I was a kid I didn't get out of my bed too much because I thought there could be some ghost lurking around waiting to kill someone who is out of bed. Nowdays I feel more confident with getting out of bed on my own.

I also used to turn on the lights whenever I had to get out of bed in the middle of the night, for fear that monsters might be chasing me in the dark. Nowadays I don't usually bother with it, as it might disturb other people who are still asleep.

Once, I even spent a whole night sleeping with the lights on - literally. I think I saw a scary movie that night, and I was too scared of the dark.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I also used to turn on the lights whenever I had to get out of bed in the middle of the night, for fear that monsters might be chasing me in the dark. Nowadays I don't usually bother with it, as it might disturb other people who are still asleep.

Once, I even spent a whole night sleeping with the lights on - literally. I think I saw a scary movie that night, and I was too scared of the dark.
Oh. I never had one sleep with the lights on the whole time. At most I only would have had a few hours with the lights on and after then it'll be off to not disturb the other people and I get easily told off because of that. But yeah I did turn on the lights back then for kinda the same reason. But now I only do so if I need to find things in my room.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I read in a book that if you stay in the same position for too long while you are asleep, your muscles will become stiff and you become paralyzed. So because of this, I always changed my sleeping position at regular intervals.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I read in a book that if you stay in the same position for too long while you are asleep, your muscles will become stiff and you become paralyzed. So because of this, I always changed my sleeping position at regular intervals.
Kinda true though because it helps your blood circulation during sleep but at least you’ll have to move a bit. I change positions too but it’s out of personal comfort.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Just thought of another silly childhood belief:

I thought mince pies had actual minced meat in them. You know, the ones you eat at Christmas? Well, the 'meat' is actually just raisins and sultanas in some kind of preserve. So why do they call it meat? o_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Just thought of another silly childhood belief:

I thought mince pies had actual minced meat in them. You know, the ones you eat at Christmas? Well, the 'meat' is actually just raisins and sultanas in some kind of preserve. So why do they call it meat? o_O
I would have thought so for a long time due to minced meat. It used to have meat as an ingredient so that could be why.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I used to think clouds were flat and pressed against the sky. I thought this right up until I was 12. Twelve.

You see, despite living in Chicago and riding on trains leveled over 50 feet in the air for all of my childhood, I had never actually seen a floating cloud due to all the large buildings throughout the city. Not to mention it rained. A lot. Still does. Thus, I always saw the clouds from my short little perspective, and from there, it looked as though the clouds were right up against the sky.

I didn't see my first actual floating cloud until I was in Atlanta, which has a few elevated train stations. However, they have very few tall buildings, so when I looked out the window, I saw a cloud floating out in the distance. I was shook. I had never seen that before, and so I raced to the library as quickly as I could to learn more about clouds and precipitation, and while I knew it was made of water in a gaseous state and all that jazz, I did not know there was a crapload of distance between clouds and the barrier of the Earth's troposphere. Now, I am far more aware of clouds and whatnot, especially given I've traveled a lot more. Clouds are honestly pretty neat.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Until I was 8 years old, I thought that the sun was always directly up ahead of me whenever it was day. And that it suddenly went down the horizon or rose from it during sunset and sunrise respectively. And then it later on turned out to me that it was as a result of the Earth's rotation.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought Trapinch was an evolution-less Pokémon... until I found that Vibrava and Flygon evolve from it. Hoenn kind of caught me off-guard with some of its evolutions, but the one that always stumps me is how does Remoraid evolve into Octillery. A fish turning into an octopus? How does that happen? o_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't really know of people who thought that chocolate milk came from brown cows as kids. Chocolate milk for me was always milk with chocolate flavouring and cocoa added to it.