• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Silly things you thought or believed when you were a kid

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I used to think butter was literally made from buttercups when I was four. I even mixed some up in butter hoping to see more appear. Nothing happened of course and I suppose it was pure good luck I didn’t eat it either since buttercups are poisonous.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought the moon was made of cheese because of... Wallace and Gromit. (Anyone remember those two?)

And I thought you could slide down Saturn's rings.

I used to think butter was literally made from buttercups when I was four. I even mixed some up in butter hoping to see more appear. Nothing happened of course and I suppose it was pure good luck I didn’t eat it either since buttercups are poisonous.

I used to pick buttercups in a park near my old house and hold them up to my chin. If it glowed yellow, I would have good luck... or something like that.

Nowadays governments could just build wasp-sized robots to sting you. Or spy on you hehe.

The wasp robot thing kind of reminds me of The Simpsons: Hit & Run, where flying waspish robots were an enemy. And were used as surveillance... kind of. One was seen spying on Homer in the beginning cutscene, and he promptly whacks it down.

In other news, I used to believe that people on TV such as anchormen could see you watching them everytime you watched them on TV. Was quite relieving this wasn't the case, but it could be possible now... or in the future. Even while the anchormen themselves wouldn't probably care or couldn't really pay attention to real-time feed of who is watching them.

You know that Jim Carey film, The Truman Show? What you're describing kind of sounds like that. But yeah, it could come true in the not-so-distant future. It's like something from George Orwell's 1984 - "Big Brother is watching you." :eek:

Last edited:

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
You know that Jim Carey film, The Truman Show? What you're describing kind of sounds like that. But yeah, it could come true in the not-so-distant future. It's like something from George Orwell's 1984 - "Big Brother is watching you." :eek:
Yeah, but the movie version would be more creepy because the protagonists life is broadcasted around the world 24/7, not only when you watch the anchormen in news or on older channels between tv shows.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah, but the movie version would be more creepy because the protagonists life is broadcasted around the world 24/7, not only when you watch the anchormen in news or on older channels between tv shows.

The Truman Show was in fact a satirical look at 24/7 'reality' TV shows like Big Brother. Coincidence or not? :eek:

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
The Truman Show was in fact a satirical look at 24/7 'reality' TV shows like Big Brother. Coincidence or not? :eek:
Except that afaik people volunteer into those shows such as BB. Nowadays we could start treating our lives similarly by the way because of companies like Google and Facebook, our phones etc etc, "Big Brother is watching you" is common reference of how they work, even if it's unethical. Another thing I actually believed as a child/teen was probably the common "most people are honorable and genuine and wouldn't resort such lowly actions / it's criminal to stalk people, no respectful professional would do such things" but gotta admit, even while I could sense that other side of coin through the first mentioned odd idea, it still took some bad experiences for me to wisen up.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I also used to believe if you practise super powers long enough, you could actually do them in physical realm rather than them being mere imaginary things... So I used to jump down rocks and swings until teenage in hopes of learning how to fly without having to rely on man-made things such as planes etc.

Bagon often throws itself off cliffs and dives onto rocks in an attempt to learn to fly. It does eventually become the mighty Salamence, which can fly. So anything is possible if you try hard enough. ;)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I used to believe that snow was fluffy like fur because I didn't live in areas that snowed but it's a lot more harder than I first thought. Pretty much because it's ice and because it's just little bits of ice clumped together, it's mouldable.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I thought songs like Barbie Girl and the Macerena were awesome... until I grew up and got something called taste in music. :p

I thought tortoise was the British word and turtle was American. It actually refers to whether they're on land (tortoise) or in water (turtle).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I thought tortoise was the British word and turtle was American. It actually refers to whether they're on land (tortoise) or in water (turtle).
I think 'turtle' did sound American to me and 'tortoise' did sound British to me for some reason. But at least I knew the difference between them that turtles lived underwater and tortoises lived on land when I was pretty young.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I think 'turtle' did sound American to me and 'tortoise' did sound British to me for some reason. But at least I knew the difference between them that turtles lived underwater and tortoises lived on land when I was pretty young.

It was probably because of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It was probably because of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
For me the word 'tortoise' just sound posh so I thought it sounded British in some way. 'Turtle' sounds cool but I guess TMNT could be a likely influence.

Luthor

I genuinely used to think all bees died when they stung you. It was only later I found out it wasn't all bees. Seems like this is a common misunderstanding though.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I genuinely used to think all bees died when they stung you. It was only later I found out it wasn't all bees. Seems like this is a common misunderstanding though.
I thought otherwise. I thought that all bees could still be alive once they stung. It seemed that only the worker bees died as soon as they stung someone because their barbed stingers get stuck in the victim's skin.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
I used to believe that having the interior lights on in a car was illegal in the state of NJ. Turns out that was a massive fairy tale with no basis in reality that I can find *shrugs*

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I used to think for awhile that if I kept using my mind to imagine anything even for an idea then it meant I’d never be considered mature.

I used to believe that stepping on a crack would break a person’s back and by breaking I mean the person would become folded in half evenly. That freaked me out.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I don't remember very many of my misconceptions, but here is what I do right now.

I believed in Santa (Who didn't?) and one Christmas Eve night, the air conditioner behind my window made a noise that I believed was a reindeer.
My older brother did a magic trick to make me think my pink dolphin hair thing had disappeared and I actually believed it was magic. I later found it in my closet and still believed it got there by magic.
For a long time, I had no idea the United Kingdom and England/Great Britain were technically the same thing. I blame my education system for only teaching me about England in the past and not the present.
When I was younger, I would sometimes rub my eyes so much that I saw weird colored spots which I thought were alive for some reason. I did not understand that only I could see them and I once tried to show them to my mom. (I don't remember her response and I really wonder what she thought of it.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When I was a kid, I thought that the howling wind was a ghost. It just sounded like one and I didn't know where it really came from so I guessed it came from somewhere invisible and the first thing I thought was a ghost.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
When I was little I thought it was dumb that cowboys rode horses rather than cows. Needless to say I'm not an American.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I used to think that people who lived in different countries came from nations always derived from their ethnic group name i.e. the Dutch came from “Dutchland.”

Did anyone else's parents tell them that the light located on the inside of the car was illegal to turn on at night simply because they didn't want you ****ing with it?