1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Single Animé Questions **READ BEFORE MAKING A THREAD**

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by OBSESSED WITH PKNM, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Technically her last real appearance was in that dreadful "Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon" special, which aired after AG134 did.

Funny how everyone forgets that, mainly because that special debuted the VA switch for the dub?

2. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

It was terrible.

The fact that the voices debuted in it aswell killed it.

The way I see it, we could have used it as a send off to the original VA, but on the otherhand im glad they were never associated with it.

3. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Mastermind almost felt like it was fanfiction made into an episode. Misty returning, an alternate reality Mewtwo, Prof. Oak owning a Dragonite....felt like something a 10 year old would write in the fanfiction section.

Nevertheless, it was the last time Misty ever truly appeared in the anime.

4. Haunter ゴースト

I agree, the fact that it was all these legendaries from previous movies appearing all at once was amazing only to realise it was a good idea turned into a terrible plot.

5. ...But I liked Mastermind. I just didn't like the voice acting...

6. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

For those who watch the raw, was it any better in Japan, or was it poorly received there as well?

7. erebus

erebus Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! I was just on a site called wikija (on a section calling itself 'the pokemon wiki'), reading Cynthia's 'biography'. In the anime appearance section it mentions an episode called 'Battling Comes Both Ways', I've never seen or heard of this episode before and was just wondering if it was even real? I know that random people are able to write any random thing they please on these types of websites, and I doubt very much that it is real, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone here knew anything about it?

8. Sushi

Sushi unspecified Staff Member Super Mod

Not sure what they were smoking when they wrote that, but no, such an episode doesn't exist 8]

9. erebus

erebus Well-Known Member

*Sigh* I thought as much. Still, always pays to make sure. It's a real shame too, it sounded like it would be an interesting battle to watch.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

10. Haunter ゴースト

So we all know the writers have changed from the anime over the years.

But my question is are there any writers who have stayed with the show from EP001 up to now?

Or any writers who have served the longest on the show?

11. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

Well, each episode only has one writer. Shudo wrote the two first episodes, but episode 3 was written by Tomioka, who's still writing the series, and wrote the episode that'll air next Thursday. So... him, I guess. Takegami, Ohashi and Sonoda were the other writers who were there from the very beginning, and all three of them are still writing for the series.

It's harder to think of a writer from back then who's not still writing the show.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  12. randomspot555

Giving credit to one writer for each specific episode is a common practice in television, but it's usually not how writing works. It's done as a brainstorming session known as a "storyboard" and it's usually a very collaborative effort. Sometimes the person given credit really did do most of the heavy lifting for the plotting, writing dialogue, etc... Other times, it's just randomly chosen when several people did equal work. And writers make changes when the VAs read their scripts, if cold readings are done, and so on.

EDIT: So basically what I'm saying is several writers could probably be listed in EP001, buto nly one is. Most anime production staff aren't noteworthy enough to have a Bulbapedia article, so it's kind of hard to tell exactly what credits they do have listed.

13. Haunter ゴースト

That makes sense, another similar question then would be, which writer has/has had the most important role in the anime series?

14. Dephender

Yeah, it's not possible to actually look at the episode in question and see who it credits or something. :rolleyes:

As I said, each episode only credits one person for the storyboard. What does Bulbapedia have to do with anything?

Shudo was the original series constructor, and was responsible for mapping out the overall series plot until he dropped that position in early Jouto. Tomioka took this position at the beginning of DP, and still holds it. So that'd be those two.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  15. randomspot555

What I said was it's a common practice in television to give full credit for writing an episode to a specific writer even though most television shows have an entire team of writers, which usually work closely with the director and producer and other production staff so it's really a collaborative effort. In the rare case that an animated series does "cold readings" (I don't know if the JP raw does it, I doubt the dubs do it since the cast doesn't record all at the same time, or even in the same location), then writers might go back and do some minor tweeking and re-writing if for, whatever reason, the dialogue isn't matching up with what is meant to be said.

Now I don't KNOW what actually happened behind the scenes. It's entirely possible that one guy, per episode, comes up with the plots, dialogues, new characters (in the cases where new ones are introduced) and so on.

But it's much more likely that Pokemon, a show with a team of writers, would let the first episode, which establishes several main and supporting characters that (some) reappear still to this day, be entirely written by one person and only one person.

It's highly likely that most episodes are, at least a small portion, a group effort. Writer A,B,C,D,and E do a brainstorm session, A and B come up with a main story, C and D storyboard a sub-plot, E does a rough draft of the COTD, and writer F weaves it all together. Writer F receives the credit for writing the dialogue and weaving everything together while the ideas were generated by writers A-D and E drafted the COTD.

In the TV series I'm more familiar with behind the scenes shenanigans, they basically say "Yeah, we give credit to one writer per episode, but almost all of them are group efforts".

And...because Bulbapedia lists a credit for each episode. It's easily navigable. That's why I used it.

16. Dephender

Oh, certainly. It's hard for outsiders to know exactly how this stuff actually works, so we kinda have to go with what the episode credits themselves say.

Either way, the question itself was "which writers have been around since the beginning", and the five writers who were credited for writing early episodes were Shudo, Tomioka, Takegami, Ohashi and Sonoda. Shudo left the series after Jouto, and passed away last year, the other four are stil writing the show, so that'd be the closest we can get to an answer.

17. VerusMaya II

VerusMaya II 75° crazy

Okay, so can someone fill me in on the deal with the postponed BW eps and the subsequent editing of another one? Apparently BW026 was edited and delayed in airing so there's some retconning and... I don't even know.
    Besides the obvious gap in plot caused by not knowing what exactly happened in BW023/24, I didn't notice anything wrong with 26. It seemed to air in the order it should have, though I don't know about any editing that may have been done to it.

Help me out here?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  18. Dephender

*Episode 26 was originally meant to take place in Hiun City, which would originally be mentioned in the title too. There's no doubt the city was originally namedropped a couple times, all of which were edited out.
    *The scene at the end, with Bel leaving, is new. Originally she was meant to stay with the group, which is why she's suddenly part of it out of nowhere with no explanation when BW27 starts.

In addition to those changes, there are a couple continuity hiccups caused by the moving.
    *At the beginning of the episode, Satoshi asks Dent how much further it is to Raimon, and he pulls out a map that clearly shows the group as being in Hiun, at the south end of the desert, and Raimon at the north end. The dialogue here was obviously changed, this clearly being a scene where Satoshi was originally meant to learn about the next gym's location (in BW27 he just magically knows where he's headed), though no one thought of/bothered to redraw the map.
    *Everyone are somewhat surprised to see Kojiro's Deathmas, since he caught in in BW25 and this is the first time they see it. In the moved episode, thy've seen it a dozen times already, so the implied surprise, dexing, etc makes little sense.
    *Everyone are surprised to learn that Dent is a fishing expert. Though in the "new continuity", they already know that from BW35.
    *The episode presents the Rockets' jetpacks as something new and cool. In the "new" continuity, we've seen them 7(?) times already, making this scene kinda out of place.

That's most of the points, I guess. The episode works in its current position, but there are a bunch of issues ith it that makes it feel it's not actually supposed to be there.

19. pokeaussie37

pokeaussie37 Well-Known Member

This may seem like an odd question right now, but did Misty ever have more than 3 Pokemon on hand?

Because, if not, if Iris catches
    Deino
    then she would be the first sidekick character with more than 3 Pokemon on hand, would she not?

The list of sidekick characters to me, is Misty, Brock, Tracey, Max, Iris, Cilan, Jessie and James. I haven't included Meowth for fairly straightforward reasons. It's not so much extremely relevant but more of an interesting tidbit of trivia.

20. randomspot555

Misty started out with Starmie, Staryu, and Goldeen in EP001 (Goldeen appearing in EP002 and Staryu and Starmie appearing in later episodes). She captured a Horsea in the Tentacool/Tentacruel episode. I don't recall off the top of my head if she had any more captures between then and her next visit to Cerulean where she ends up leaving Starmie and Goldeen there, but neither of them were used all that much so it was no big loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.