• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Single Rates - READ THE FIRST POST

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

Furfrou @Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 Defense / 252 Special Defense / 4 Attack

Protect
Sucker Punch
Toxic
Substitute

I believe that Furfrou is such an underused Pokemon. It could be such an amazing wall. Fur Coat halves all Physical Attacks, which protects it from Fighting types. It's nature, Impish also helps with this, as does its EVs. And if Furfrou ever actually does get hit hard, he's got the Leftovers for recovery. Protect and Toxic are already pretty annoying, and wears the opponent down very slowly. Sucker Punch is mainly for a damaging attack. I wasn't sure if I should go with Sucker Punch or Retaliate, but I went with Sucker Punch so I would have something on Ghost Types. Overall, I think Furfrou should be used a lot more, but what do you think of it? I'm not very good at spotting cons in Pokemon, so the only one I can see is Fighting Types.

I've always really liked poor Furfrou and I hope I can find a way to use him. Furfrou can be a wall, but he is basically outclassed by anything that has recovery. Furfrou has a few weaknesses - mainly a poor HP stat and a poor Sp Def stat, he has no recovery whatsoever, and he is completely walled by Gengar, who is very common. He is a physical wall, for sure, and Normal is actually pretty good typing. The reason that people don't use him is the poor stats (like I said), Gengar, no recovery, and a shallow move pool.

You should NEVER rely on Sucker Punch as your only attack. Once your opponent figures out that Sucker Punch is your only attacking move, s/he will just Toxic stall or PP stall you until you die. Also, Furfrou is going to die to any special attack because he's a physical wall. You need to put your EVs in Defense and HP - don't bother with more than 4 Sp Def EVs; you need a Special wall on your team to handle those attacks. A better Furfrou set is this:

Furfrou @Leftovers
Fur Coat
Impish
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef

Cotton Guard - Furfrou RELIES on Cotton Guard because of its low Defense stat. In order to use Furfrou as a physical wall, you need to set up a Cotton Guard. This is another reason why Furfrou isn't used much - because after you set up, your opponent can just switch into a Special attacker and then you'll have to switch out and lose the Cotton Guard, and you've wasted a turn. The only time a wall can set up like this is if it has a move like Cosmic Power that raises both Defense AND Special Defense.

Toxic - Furfrou needs Toxic because it's basically the only way for it to kill things because its Attack stat is so low.

Return - Furfrou's best attacking move is Return. It gets STAB and it has a high base power.

Roar/U-Turn - which one you want is up to you. If your opponent sends out a Special Attacker, you can attempt to Roar it away or U-Turn out. Furfrou has a high base Speed but it will still be outsped by most of the common Special Attackers, like Mega Lucario and Chandelure. It does outspeed Aegislash, though, which is something that it has going for it.

Once again, there is NOTHING that Furfrou can do to Gengar, which is a huge problem.

Last edited:

Ryuken

Steel User
I have recently been trying this set in UU for one particular fairy that was making a huge dent in my team.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Timid / 252 spe / 252 sp.atk
-Nasty Plot
-Flash Cannon
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse

I know Lucario is garbage, but i wanted to give it a try, i base my play-style around heavy prediction, so i believe i can make it work.
Here is the Calc. that interested me the most.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 330-390 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Any opinions?

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
I have recently been trying this set in UU for one particular fairy that was making a huge dent in my team.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Timid / 252 spe / 252 sp.atk
-Nasty Plot
-Flash Cannon
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse

I know Lucario is garbage, but i wanted to give it a try, i base my play-style around heavy prediction, so i believe i can make it work.
Here is the Calc. that interested me the most.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 330-390 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Any opinions?

Lucario isn't garbage though. You're thinking of Trubbish.

For reals though. This set isn't too shabby, actually, though it makes a bit less use of Justified than a physical set would. To be honest, though, while it's impressive that the special variant can easily break through a Florges' SpDef, keep in mind that the physical set can do so just as well using Bullet Punch and Swords Dance. It pretty much requires +2 to whichever offense either way to achieve though, and in that time Florges can Wish or Protect, switch out to something faster than Luke, and punch right through his frail defenses, so be careful that anything that runs a Fire, Fighting, or Ground move should probably be taken out before you try setting up with Luke. Personally, I'd use Vacuum Wave over Aura Sphere just so he can have a priority move in case of emergencies like that, but it's fine to leave him as is.

Ryuken

Steel User
Lucario isn't garbage though. You're thinking of Trubbish.

For reals though. This set isn't too shabby, actually, though it makes a bit less use of Justified than a physical set would. To be honest, though, while it's impressive that the special variant can easily break through a Florges' SpDef, keep in mind that the physical set can do so just as well using Bullet Punch and Swords Dance. It pretty much requires +2 to whichever offense either way to achieve though, and in that time Florges can Wish or Protect, switch out to something faster than Luke, and punch right through his frail defenses, so be careful that anything that runs a Fire, Fighting, or Ground move should probably be taken out before you try setting up with Luke. Personally, I'd use Vacuum Wave over Aura Sphere just so he can have a priority move in case of emergencies like that, but it's fine to leave him as is.

Thanks for the advice, i gave Vacuum Wave over Aura Sphere a try and i have to say the results are pretty satisfactory.
And while i know that the physical set carries more power and the advantage of Justified,i personally think the special set is way easier to bluff, and most of the times ends up in at least one KO.

Onyx Tanuki

Thanks for the advice, i gave Vacuum Wave over Aura Sphere a try and i have to say the results are pretty satisfactory.
And while i know that the physical set carries more power and the advantage of Justified,i personally think the special set is way easier to bluff, and most of the times ends up in at least one KO.

Glad it worked out for ya. Vacuum Wave is a pretty unexpected priority move since so few pokemon get it (I think only Lucario and Toxicroak can actually use it fairly well, with most others having a Special stat too low to be effective with it), and I think it's the only Special priority currently in the game. I honestly don't know why there isn't an Electric Special priority move yet, as it'd completely make sense.

As for my advice for a physical version, that was mostly because it seemed like you were using him as a Florges counter, and it'd be more effective as a Florges counter being physical, since Florges has pretty terrible physical bulk. The only thing either one likely wouldn't be able to do as much to would be an Assault Vest Florges, which I don't think is especially common.

Anyway, my turn to show a few other ideas. Maybe I'll get lucky and have some sort of comment on them this time :p

----------

523.png

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Sap Sipper
Adamant/Jolly
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Speed
- Wild Charge
- Flame Charge
- Snatch
- Double-Edge/Return

Zebstrika is an example of a pokemon that has great stats, but not a lot that it can use them on. In his case, his Attack and Speed would make him a great physical sweeper if only he had better coverage moves, but he sadly only has a handful of types represented by his physical movepool, and even less when you consider moves that are actually good. He is, however, not too shabby at keeping pokemon who rely on setups from doing their thing, so long as you're good with prediction. Sap Sipper is probably his best option for ability as it allows you to switch him in on some Grass-type threats. Flame Charge isn't all that powerful, but makes up for it with guaranteed Speed boosts, and gives him something to help damage Grass types. Return and Double-Edge complete his coverage options, allowing him to take on Ground and Electric types. Snatch is there to help him counter setups, and his Speed allows him to turn that around to kill off the opposing pokemon fairly easily. This also makes him fairly effective on pokemon that rely on healing, since he can just Snatch a Roost or Wish out from under them.

Unfortunately, Ground types are a major issue for him, particularly Ground/Steel and Ground/Rock, which will resist his Normal move while being immune to Wild Charge, and Ground/Rock will resist Flame Charge as well, forcing a switch-out. Adding to that, ones that can survive a hit from him will be easily able to OHKO him with Earthquake or Earth Power thanks to lacking defenses, so putting him with a strong Grass, Ice, and/or Water type would be an excellent idea. Whiscash or Seismitoad would be ideal since as Water/Ground types, they'll be magnets for Grass type moves, which Zebstrika will benefit the most from switching in on. Dragons are a bit of a problem too, since they'll require his Normal move to take down, but thankfully there's a pretty limited number of them in RU and NU. It might also be a good idea to take down any pokemon that might have Flash Fire as well. Once that's done, just lure the opponent into a Grass move, switch Zebstrika in on it, and follow with Flame Charge, then proceed to clean up with Wild Charge and Return/Double-Edge.

164.png

Noctowl @ Leftovers/Lum Berry/Petaya Berry/Sitrus Berry
Insomnia/Tinted Lens
Modest/Calm
252 HP, 252 SpAtt/SpDef, 4 SpDef/Speed
- Hyper Voice/Night Shade
- Roost
- Toxic/Shadow Ball/Night Shade
- Substitute

Noctowl actually has pretty decent Special bulk, allowing it to function as a special wall to a degree. Unfortunately its ability makes it far from the best bulky special attacker; while Tinted Lens is great for some pokemon, Noctowl actually has great neutral coverage with the ability to wield Hyper Voice and Shadow Ball, so it ends up wasted because the very small handful of pokemon that resist both of its attacks are up in the OU tier. This makes a more offensive variant viable, but said variant would be best run with Insomnia instead. Tinted Lens does help Noctowl handle Rock and Steel types, however, allowing his Hyper Voice to hit them just as hard as anything else. This variation needs to be carrying Toxic to handle Ghost types, though. You could also run Night Shade over Hyper Voice, allowing you to invest in his Def or SpDef, but again, you'll need either Toxic or Hyper Voice to hit Normals with. Substitute to block status, Roost to heal up, pretty simple. Leftovers is probably your best bet as far as items, but you could also run Lum Berry in case you suspect an opponent might hit you with status before your Sub goes up, or Sitrus to heal part of the damage incurred from Subbing up. Petaya is also viable for a version running Hyper Voice and Shadow Ball.

Noctowl's weaknesses are fairly obvious, unfortunately. Its Defense is pitiful, so pretty much anything that runs a physical set will send it flying. What it does with this set can be done just as well if not better by a lot of other pokemon, as well, and its type doesn't really lend well to defensive sets, since it's got weaknesses that are commonly on either side of the damage spectrum. Its ability selection is pretty weak too, with Tinted Lens having little benefit for it thanks to strong neutral coverage and its only other options being Insomnia (it could block Sleep moves with its Subs) and Keen Eye (which is useless in a competitive metagame where most accuracy-alteration is banned). It could feasibly run Assault Vest, but would lose out on either SpAtt (which kind of needs to be boosted if you want to use anything besides Night Shade) or Def (which it'd probably need to buff if it expects to survive against any physical attacks). Still, it can make for an awesome counter to defensive Ghosts, being immune to their STABs and able to Sub through their status effects and pierce their defenses with Toxic. It's an option... not a good option, granted, but an option nonetheless.

Weavile.nl

Proud to be Dutch
Hitmonchan_XY.gif

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Not sure what to go for. Is Bullet Punch an option? Substitute and Focus Punch? Is there a wall Hitmonchan with maybe Drain Punch?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Hitmonchan_XY.gif

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Not sure what to go for. Is Bullet Punch an option? Substitute and Focus Punch? Is there a wall Hitmonchan with maybe Drain Punch?

The Hitmonchan set you have is the standard set, and really the only one it can run. Bullet Punch is an option for Hitmonchan if you want a priority move that can hit Ghost types. Other than that, this is the recommended set. Hitmonchan is outclassed by pretty much everything, particularly Hitmonlee because Hitmonlee can get priority set up to double its speed with Fake Out/Normal Gem and Unburden.

Wall Hitmonchan isn't really a thing because although it has great special defense, Hitmonchan has a HORRIBLE HP stat, so its Defensive capabilities are pretty much nullified.

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
OK, so this is my first post, so please be kind...

I've been running

Magnezone: Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
Nature: Quiet (+SpA -Spe)
IVs: 30/x/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Tri-Attack

Essentially, I like to have something that can tank a hit and then volt-switch/u-turn out into something else. Moreover, my team has very little to threaten either water or fairy types and 'zone fits the bill. This particular pokemon came to me shiny while I was IV breeding, and I'm not sure about how concerned I should be with the -1 HP IV.

How it's worked so far: Magnezone's typing with the AV means that it can survive several non-supereffective hits. Moreover, the high SpA and Analytic means that it can launch some really damaging volt-switches while providing a clean switch-in. It also serves to bait out pokemon that have problems with my other team members (typically Gyrados, Garchomp, and Azumarill).

Questions: First off, does one HP IV matter that much?
How about my move list--I'm generally unhappy with all of the non-volt switch moves, but it has so little to choose from. Tri-attack is in there to give neutral coverage for electric types, but it doesn't do much else. It has access to Hidden Power (psychic), but I don't see how that helps me.
Other pokes that might work? I've tried Scizor, but, he didn't seem to hit very hard with the AV and his moves weren't really offering me any coverage I didn't already have on the team.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
What is in your mega slot right now? Mega Scizor might for the bill with U-turn, Knock Off, Bullet Punch, and Roost/Defog/Superpower/Aerial Ace

Onyx Tanuki

OK, so this is my first post, so please be kind...

I've been running

Magnezone: Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
Nature: Quiet (+SpA -Spe)
IVs: 30/x/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Tri-Attack

Essentially, I like to have something that can tank a hit and then volt-switch/u-turn out into something else. Moreover, my team has very little to threaten either water or fairy types and 'zone fits the bill. This particular pokemon came to me shiny while I was IV breeding, and I'm not sure about how concerned I should be with the -1 HP IV.

How it's worked so far: Magnezone's typing with the AV means that it can survive several non-supereffective hits. Moreover, the high SpA and Analytic means that it can launch some really damaging volt-switches while providing a clean switch-in. It also serves to bait out pokemon that have problems with my other team members (typically Gyrados, Garchomp, and Azumarill).

Questions: First off, does one HP IV matter that much?
How about my move list--I'm generally unhappy with all of the non-volt switch moves, but it has so little to choose from. Tri-attack is in there to give neutral coverage for electric types, but it doesn't do much else. It has access to Hidden Power (psychic), but I don't see how that helps me.
Other pokes that might work? I've tried Scizor, but, he didn't seem to hit very hard with the AV and his moves weren't really offering me any coverage I didn't already have on the team.

Any insight is much appreciated!

I'd run it with Signal Beam over Tri Attack. You won't be able to hit Rotom-H or Camerupt for neutral damage, but you'll be able to hit significantly more pokemon for super-effective damage. Also it's a transfer-only move, so you'd have to have this guy in B2W2 if this isn't for something like Pokemon Showdown. Tri Attack is a good enough alternative if you have no access to B2W2 though. When I ran a similar set on Pokemon Showdown, I ran Air Balloon over Assault Vest, since Magnezone is such Earthquake bait thanks to 4x Ground weakness, and it's not like Ground attacks are especially uncommon in the upper tiers. If you run Hidden Power, Fire or Ice would probably be the most use, but it'd be far from convenient to get since you'd have to rework your IVs for that.

As for the EVs, no, one single HP IV shouldn't hurt you in the long run unless you have a pokemon with a weakness to Rock, in which case you'd need to adjust EVs to ensure it has an odd number of HP. Magnezone resists Rock, so it's safe to switch into a Stealth Rock for the most part.

If you're willing try others, these two might be options:

476.png

Probopass @ Air Balloon/Choice Specs/Assault Vest
Sturdy/Sand Force
Modest
252 HP, 252 SpAtt, 4 Def/SpDef
- Power Gem
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon/Dazzling Gleam/Hidden Power
- Volt Switch/Hidden Power

This thing actually has pretty beastly defenses in both categories, so Assault Vest might well be pointless as you'd have diminishing returns from it; I'd go for either Air Balloon to mitigate its 4x Ground weakness or Choice Specs to allow it to actually hit for some decent damage. If you have anything on your team running sand, Sand Force will be your ability of choice, since it'll buff Power Gem, Earth Power, and Flash Cannon; otherwise, either of its abilities could work, since you'd be able to trap a foe's Steel type and take it down with Earth Power using Magnet Pull, or survive against a Lucario or other strong Fighting or Ground type and counterattack if you have Sturdy.

You'll note that I didn't include a type for Hidden Power, and that's because there's a large number of types that could be used to round out its coverage to complement the already-great coverage from Power Gem and Earth Power. If you choose to give up Flash Cannon, you could try Fire, Ice, Poison, Fighting, Bug, Flying, Ghost, or Dark, and any of those will let you hit the great majority of pokemon out there for SE damage. However, this may not be worth it since anything you could hit for super-effective damage with HP you could probably outdamage with a neutral Flash Cannon. If you opt to replace Volt Switch instead, you'd be able to work well with Grass, Ice, Flying, or Bug, and while you'd hit a few less things for super-effective damage, you won't lose out on the boost from Sand Force as much by skipping Flash Cannon. You would be losing the original purpose of having a slow Volt Switcher, though. Even forgoing Hidden Power isn't a bad choice, since those four moves do cover a fair number of pokemon for super-effective damage, and has perfect neutral coverage. If you wish you could also take Dazzling Gleam to help him take down Fighting types, though he wouldn't be improving his coverage very much if he took it over Volt Switch. If he went for Power Gem/Earth Power/Dazzling Gleam/Hidden Power, though, he could feasible go with HP Fire, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Poison, Flying, Bug, Ghost, or Dark, all of which would give you absolutely amazing coverage. If you're willing to give up coverage and can go for a transfer move, you could get some recovery via Pain Split, but you'd also be forced to use Air Balloon or Lefties for him.

The two downsides are pretty obvious, though. First, Probopass trades in Magnezone's Fire weakness for Water, and he's far weaker to Fighting type hits, which isn't so bad, but he's also trading Magnezone's eleven resistances for eight himself, losing resistance to Electric, Grass, and Steel, which is a bit of a blow to his survivability since the first two of those are very common types. Second and more importantly, he's hitting for far less damage than Magnezone can since he has just a little more than half of Magnezone's SpAtt, relying on having a super-effective move to use against the opponent, as well as the damage buff from Specs and/or Sand Force. He could be effective with a Life Orb or Expert Belt, but the former is counter to his defensive nature while the latter isn't an especially strong buff and still leaves him relying on being able to hit the opponent with a super-effective move. The latter of these issues is somewhat mitigated, though, by the fact that he can hit a large number of pokemon super-effectively, and doesn't need to have a move transferred from another generation to do so. Still, I'd have to run some calcs to see how much the damage changes between the two.

233.png

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Analytic
Modest/Quiet
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpAtt
- Tri-Attack
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt

This guy has a bit of advantage over your Magnezone since he's capable of healing himself with Recover and can utilize Eviolite, which gives him the same buff as Assault Vest on both defenses, while not limiting him exclusively to attack moves. Aside from Recover, he gets pretty much the same type of coverage as Magnezone does with his moves. If you want to maximize the number of pokemon he'll be outsped by, running Quiet and having 0 Speed EVs is an absolute must. You can, however, run Modest to be able to do a little more damage regardless, costing you the ability to get the Analytic boost against slow pokemon. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt give you pretty similar coverage when combined with Tri-Attack and Ice Beam; with Shadow Ball, the only thing you can't hit for at least neutral damage is Bisharp but cost you a small handful of pokemon you can hit super-effective, while Thunderbolt will leave you walled against Magnezone and Shedinja, but give you a few more pokemon you can damage super-effectively.

The biggest downside for Porygon2 is its typing. Normal is not a good defensive typing, resisting absolutely nothing, so it has to rely on its improved bulk via Eviolite and Recover to keep it alive. It's also vulnerable to Toxic, but is hurt less by Burn due to its ability to Recover. It has slightly less SpAtt than Magnezone too, but it's not nearly as crippling a drop as you'd get from switching to Probopass. Also, its lack of access to Volt Switch robs your ability to do slow-switching. The fact that it's an unevolved pokemon also makes it Knock Off bait, which could be a positive or negative, depending on if you have a pokemon that can take advantage by either resisting a Dark move or having Justified.

-----

Aight, went ahead and did those calcs :p Here's the results I got versus a few threats, using the moves that're most effective on them:

252+ SpA Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 200-236 (55.5 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Analytic Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 570-672 (191.2 - 225.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Analytic Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 280-330 (99.6 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 390-458 (96.5 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 214-253 (59.7 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Sand Force Probopass Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges in Sand: 138-164 (38.3 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Sand Force Probopass Power Gem vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sand: 708-832 (237.5 - 279.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sand Force Probopass Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario in Sand: 260-306 (92.5 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Sand Force Probopass Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill in Sand: 156-184 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ SpA Probopass Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 154-182 (43 - 50.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Probopass Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 158-188 (43.8 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Probopass Power Gem vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 808-952 (271.1 - 319.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Probopass Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 298-352 (106 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Probopass Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 210-248 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Probopass Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 228-270 (63.6 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Analytic Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 85-102 (23.6 - 28.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Analytic Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 328-386 (110 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Analytic Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 161-190 (57.2 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 224-264 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Analytic Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 552-652 (154.1 - 182.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You might want to note that a lot of these pokemon might kill whatever their facing before being killed themselves, particularly Mega Luke and Garchomp. In Luke's case, Sturdy Specs Probopass would probably be the only one of these that could counter, but if it already has some sort of offensive drop, he could be taken down by any of them. Garchomp would be more likely to be taken down by a Porygon2, since that's the only thing it can't Earthquake into oblivion, although the other two could potentially take him if they're holding Air Balloons and he's Earthquaking with a Choice item. Sand Force Probopass would need to watch out for Azumarill too, since Waterfall is an OHKO for it. Florges could be a problem for any of them, but Magnezone would be able to hit her hardest. Talonflame really is only a major problem for Magnezone here, thanks to weakness to Flare Blitz, and the only thing it could survive would be a T-Bolt from Porygon if it Roosts, and chances are slim it could Roost more times than you could T-Bolt (not to mention it's still have a net HP loss regardless).

Last edited:

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SDef
Nature: Relaxed
- Seed Bomb
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Poison Jab

I'm wondering if theres anything better than protect, I was planning knock off but it can't learn that in kalos, so I thought protect, but I am still a bit worried about whether that will be good or not.

Last edited:

Onyx Tanuki

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SDef
Nature: Relaxed
- Seed Bomb
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Poison Jab

I'm wondering if theres anything better than protect, I was planning knock off but it can't learn that in kalos, so I thought protect, but I am still a bit worried about whether that will be good or not.

If he's gonna be run defensively, you may want to go with Leech Seed over Poison Jab to get some healing. I don't think there's any Grass types that resist Steel besides other Ferrothorn, Rotom-Mow, and Ludicolo, which means Gyro Ball should be safe enough on them. I can understand that it's there to keep opposing Grass types from walling you, but I don't think it's really necessary. Steel types would wall it too, but Poison Jab doesn't help with that anyway. Payback and Bulldoze may be options, with the former being a Kalos-native alternative to Knock Off and Bulldoze helping Ferrothorn cover Fire and Steel types that would otherwise resist both of its STABs (although you'll still have to watch out for things like Rotom-Mow and Skarmory). As for Seed Bomb, I'd go for Power Whip instead; despite the lower accuracy, it's got way more power, and Ferrothorn typically won't be too worried about missing one attack, since it can survive pretty well through most physical hits. However, if accuracy is more of a concern than power, nothing wrong with keeping Seed Bomb.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
Ok thanks, I can train him right now but are his EVS good, or should i get rid of attack EVs and use the remaining EVs on both defense and special defense?

Onyx Tanuki

Ok thanks, I can train him right now but are his EVS good, or should i get rid of attack EVs and use the remaining EVs on both defense and special defense?

His EVs are just fine as they are. You could try putting some in one of his defenses, but it won't be enough of a help to matter I don't think.

M.Oreo

all hax or no hax.
ninetales@ heat rock
Ability: drought
EVs: 252 sp att, 252 spe, 4hp
Nature: timid
- will o wisp
- fire blast
- sunny day
- solarbeam

i have tested charY as a sun setter, and it ends too quickly, and uses my mega slot. ninetales allows me to use another mega and supplies more sun. what im wondering is, should i use a bulky build, or should i keep it offensive? without investment in sp att, ninetales will fail to 1ko greninja with solar beam, fire blast will do much less damage, the list goes on, but the extra bulk could allow more switch ins for ninetales. speed investment is required, as without it, ninetales will get outsped by everything important(and it still wont set weather before ttar.

is there a better EV spread, and better moves that could be run?

sheerioxo

428.gif

Lopunny @???
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 HP / 58 Spe

Ice Punch
Encore
Cosmic Power
Baton Pass

So I just got what I believe to be a perfect Buneary off of the GTS. Has Jolly Nature, and the egg moves Ice Punch, Encore, Cosmic Power, and Switcheroo. However, I don't really want to use Switcheroo, so I figured I could make it a Baton Passing Lopunny. Encore + Cosmic Power + Baton Pass seems like a decent combination to me. Ice Punch is for an actual attacking move, and deals with quite a few weaknesses I may have to deal with such as Dragon and Grass. I don't know what item to go with, and that's where I need some help. I could go with Leftovers, as I don't have any other Pokemon currently using them?

Ryuken

Steel User
ninetales@ heat rock
Ability: drought
EVs: 252 sp att, 252 spe, 4hp
Nature: timid
- will o wisp
- fire blast
- sunny day
- solarbeam

i have tested charY as a sun setter, and it ends too quickly, and uses my mega slot. ninetales allows me to use another mega and supplies more sun. what im wondering is, should i use a bulky build, or should i keep it offensive? without investment in sp att, ninetales will fail to 1ko greninja with solar beam, fire blast will do much less damage, the list goes on, but the extra bulk could allow more switch ins for ninetales. speed investment is required, as without it, ninetales will get outsped by everything important(and it still wont set weather before ttar.

is there a better EV spread, and better moves that could be run?

Sadly, Ninetales will only get you so far this generation, she didn't had much use before drought, and with X and Y new mechanics, she doesn't had much now either, specially because of Char Y.
That said, it is recommended that you use a specially defensive set, specially if you want her to survive enough (248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe) (Overheat/Will-o-wisp/sunny day/Roar,Toxic, or Rest/Sleep Talk/Sunny Day/ Flamethrower.
If you wish to use offensive Ninetales, you are better of with Char Y, as it does far more work than offensive Ninetales.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
I need some help selecting the EVs for Whimsicott

:547: Whimsicott@Choice Scarf/Specs
Bold/Prankster
88 Spe, ??????
~Switcheroo
~Cotton Guard
~Giga Drain
~Worry Seed

Okay, so I found a Cottonee over Wonder Trade with Switcheroo and Worry Seed as egg moves, and I figured I should breed one for my own. First of all, Whimsicott's main purpose is to be faster than Talonflame, and 88 EVs outspeeds 4 EV Adamant Talonflame. I was having a hard time picking between Knock Off or Encore, but Switcheroo + Choice Scarf/Specs does both (I don't know which would be more reliable). Worry Seed gets rid of those awful Abilities Gale Wings, Parental Bond, Protean, and so on and so forth. Cotton Guard is to bulk up Whimsicott physically, and Giga Drain gives back health and is for Tuant users. Since she'll be utilizing Cotton Guard, I thought about maxing out Special Defense, but then again I could capitalize her Defense. What do you guys think?

KillerDraco

I need some help selecting the EVs for Whimsicott

:547: Whimsicott@Choice Scarf/Specs
Bold/Prankster
88 Spe, ??????
~Switcheroo
~Cotton Guard
~Giga Drain
~Worry Seed

Okay, so I found a Cottonee over Wonder Trade with Switcheroo and Worry Seed as egg moves, and I figured I should breed one for my own. First of all, Whimsicott's main purpose is to be faster than Talonflame, and 88 EVs outspeeds 4 EV Adamant Talonflame. I was having a hard time picking between Knock Off or Encore, but Switcheroo + Choice Scarf/Specs does both (I don't know which would be more reliable). Worry Seed gets rid of those awful Abilities Gale Wings, Parental Bond, Protean, and so on and so forth. Cotton Guard is to bulk up Whimsicott physically, and Giga Drain gives back health and is for Tuant users. Since she'll be utilizing Cotton Guard, I thought about maxing out Special Defense, but then again I could capitalize her Defense. What do you guys think?

First thing's first, I'm not sure why you're trying to outspeed 4 EV Talonflame, given most Talonflame run more speed than that so they can outspeed certain threats with non-flying moves. Some run 164 to outspeed positive base 100's, and 208 outspeeds positive base 105's. There are still some on the ladder that even run the full 252... overall though, 4 EVs is not at all common and for this reason I don't believe your Whimsicott would do what you intend it to. Especially since Whimsicott does NOT want to stay in on Talonflame, since it'll probably get KO'ed in the meantime.

What you're trying to accomplish with your Whimsicott is not really reliable. Worry Seed is really not a worry for any team (no pun intended) since it doesn't stop them from attacking and they can just switch out to reset it, unlike, oh say, Stun Spore, which screws over considerably more Pokemon in addition to not being removed as easily. Stun Sporing something like Greninja hurts it a lot more than Worry Seed will.

Carrying Giga Drain isn't really necessary since without investment, it doesn't do much off of a base 77 SpA. Yeah, Whimsicott can't do much when Taunted, but thanks to Prankster, it can usually get off at least one move before being Taunted, and if it carries Taunt itself, it can actually Taunt the opponent's Taunt so they can't Taunt you (Tauntception). Overall though, if it gets off a Stun Spore/Encore/whatever, even if it gets taunted immediately afterwards, it's usually done its job.

I'd really just advise re-working it from the ground up. Switcheroo may have some niche merit, but Worry Seed does not. Pick up Stun Spore and Encore, and ditch Giga Drain for U-Turn, since the combo of Encore+U-Turn can really snatch Momentum; encoring a setup move or something makes it easy to switch in a counter, and if they switch, U-Turn lets you see what they switch in to get your own counter in there.

Regardless of whether you change moves or if you're intent upon going with what you've got though, you'll want to maximize your physical bulk. You're not gonna outspeed Talonflame unless you go all in anyway, so better to focus on bulk with something like 252 HP / 252 Def /4 SpDef.

Last edited:
What's a good ev spread for a quiet honedge? (soon to be aegislash once its ev trained/leveled). And would this moveset be ok for it?

Shiny Aegislash@assault vest? (already have a mon holding leftovers in my battle team)
Nature: Quiet
IVs: 31/31/0/31/31/31
-Shadow Ball
-Flash Cannon
-Kings Shield
-Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak?

I'm thinking 252 SpA/252 Spd/6 Hp for the EV spread but I don't know if I should spread the EVs around more. So basically this was an unexpected shiny hatch (was breeding for a normal competitive honedge when the shiny one hatched) and I've decided to add it to my wifi battle team. My current battle team is under reconstruction and so far 4 mons have been decided on. Shadow ball will be the primary attack that I use and it gets stab. Flash cannon gets stab and also gives me a move that will kill fairy's, which is good since none of my other 4 team members know any steel or poison type moves. Kings shield because it seems to be a staple of any aegislash moveset (I've never used one before). I'm thinking about sacred sword as the last move because so far I don't have any fighting type moves in my wifi team, but I don't know if shadow sneak would be better to have.

Last edited: