• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Single Rates Thread

Pathfinder

No Angel
Get a single mon rated here. Follow the same format as team rates, just with one Pokemon. Once again make sure that you are not posting something that is bog standard or a copy from the analysis.

Pokemon @ Item
Ability:
EVs:
Nature:
- move
- move
- move
- move

*Detailed description of the Pokemon's purpose to the team*

• Here are examples of what is and isn't acceptable:

What's acceptable:

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SDef / 176 Spe
    Nature: Jolly [+Spe, -SAtk]

• Iron Head
    • Thunder Wave
    • Fire Punch
    • Stealth Rock

Thunderwave Jirachi, as a lead, has been successful for my team. The purpose of Jirachi is to get Stealth Rocks up, and once that's done, Pokemon such as Gyarados, Dragonite, or DD Babari Berry Tyranitar that switch in to try and set up on my lead are immediately rendered useless thanks to Thunderwave. My game plan is to set up stealth rocks first, and then Thunderwave to scout my opponent's team/cripple any sweeper hoping to use Jirachi as set up bait. With Choice Scarf being popular on lead sets, I decided to take advantage of its popularity, and it has paid off in every game I have been in.

Jirachi has been EVed to top Lucario in speed and use Fire Punch, or at the very least stop him completely with Thunderwave. Sometimes, getting a burn hax via Fire Punch helps, but as I can't KO Lucario with it, I tend to play it safe with T-Wave in most games. Either method is fine as Lucario remains crippled at the end of the day.

What's not ok:

Inferape @ Life Orb
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Naive
    -Stealth Rocks
    -Close Combat
    -Fake Out
    -Fire Blast

Standard lead, sets up rocks and breaks sash for my opponent.

Both sets are fine as far as formatting is concerned, but the second set will likely get your post deleted and/or you will get an infraction due to not enough information being given. The first set had a different kind of formatting, but it stuck to the basic template outlined in this post and had a long enough description, telling us what purpose it has on the team etc. That being said, even though you have to follow the template, you can customize how it looks, providing all information is viewable.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Trying my very best to see how I can help to make Buzzwole the baddest bug around!

794.png

Buzzwole @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 146 HP / 252 Atk / 110 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Here's an all-out attacking lure set with bolt beam coverage that's been pretty ok as of late, for me. I really like ThunderPunch Buzzwole as it has been absolutely rekking Pelliper that have been switching thinking its a free rain set up as it OHKO's max/max defensive Pelliper 100% of the time with LO as well as Topapex for about 50% of its HP! Both of these mons are seeming like common switch ins to Buzzwole as they resist his STABS. Since Buzzwole was robbed of speed ties with base 80's as its sitting at base 79, I decided to just let it have its bulk but still invested just enough to outpace 8 Spe Landorus-T.

If anything, i'm just thinkin about the spread. Is it ok? If anything else, I was thinking of running Jolly with enough speed to outpace max spe Heatran, though I think he'll miss the power. Luckily it still OHKO's Pelliper almost all the time from full.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Trying my very best to see how I can help to make Buzzwole the baddest bug around!

794.png

Buzzwole @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 146 HP / 252 Atk / 110 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Here's an all-out attacking lure set with bolt beam coverage that's been pretty ok as of late, for me. I really like ThunderPunch Buzzwole as it has been absolutely rekking Pelliper that have been switching thinking its a free rain set up as it OHKO's max/max defensive Pelliper 100% of the time with LO as well as Topapex for about 50% of its HP! Both of these mons are seeming like common switch ins to Buzzwole as they resist his STABS. Since Buzzwole was robbed of speed ties with base 80's as its sitting at base 79, I decided to just let it have its bulk but still invested just enough to outpace 8 Spe Landorus-T.

If anything, i'm just thinkin about the spread. Is it ok? If anything else, I was thinking of running Jolly with enough speed to outpace max spe Heatran, though I think he'll miss the power. Luckily it still OHKO's Pelliper almost all the time from full.

Thunder Punch doesn't even 2HKO Toxapex after Stealth Rock, I think you need to rerun your calcs...

The problem with Thunder Punch Buzzwole is once the Pelipper hype dies down and people realize it's still a piece of lower tier garbage, the only things you're going to be hitting with it is, like, Gyarados. I feel like Stone Edge is a lot more valuable in that last slot as it hits most of the things Thunder Punch hits for almost as much damage, but also nails incoming Mega Charizards as well as things like Volcarona that will probably be more relevant in Gen 7 now that Talonflame was nerfed. Earthquake is also an option for 2HKOing Toxapex after Stealth Rock, letting you break Toxapex + Ferrothorn + bulky Ground cores pretty reliably with him.

EDIT: I forgot to include the Life Orb in the calc, you do have a 10% chance to 2HKO 252/176+ Toxapex after Stealth Rock but not without it, and everything else I said still applies.

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Thunder Punch doesn't even 2HKO Toxapex after Stealth Rock, I think you need to rerun your calcs...

The problem with Thunder Punch Buzzwole is once the Pelipper hype dies down and people realize it's still a piece of lower tier garbage, the only things you're going to be hitting with it is, like, Gyarados. I feel like Stone Edge is a lot more valuable in that last slot as it hits most of the things Thunder Punch hits for almost as much damage, but also nails incoming Mega Charizards as well as things like Volcarona that will probably be more relevant in Gen 7 now that Talonflame was nerfed. Earthquake is also an option for 2HKOing Toxapex after Stealth Rock 94.5% of the time, letting you break Toxapex + Ferrothorn + bulky Ground cores pretty reliably with him.

I believe it does about 50% as I stated.
252+ Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 70-83 (44.5 - 52.8%)

Oh yea, but im building it for right now, and right now, Pelliper is a popular one! Maybe you're right and Pelliper'll go away soon enough, but for now, it does well. I'll prolly change it to Poison Jab/Stone Edge once things get settled. Earthquake is also somethin ive been playin around with, especially since Aegi's out walling every pokemon in existence as per usual. I'll deff try Stone Edge, thank you! There's just been a lot of rain.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I believe it does about 50% as I stated.
252+ Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 70-83 (44.5 - 52.8%)

Oh yea, but im building it for right now, and right now, Pelliper is a popular one! Maybe you're right and Pelliper'll go away soon enough, but for now, it does well. I'll prolly change it to Poison Jab/Stone Edge once things get settled. Earthquake is also somethin ive been playin around with, especially since Aegi's out walling every pokemon in existence as per usual. I'll deff try Stone Edge, thank you!

I'm not sure how you're getting that calc, I'm getting a max of 48.2% against 252/176+ with Thunderpunch. Either way it doesn't really matter, Pelipper is just one of those early gen quirks that got overhyped by some subpar youtuber, so now all the lower ladder kiddies are using it because they think it's good. When they realize it's not it will sink back into the depths of irrelevancy and a different coverage move will be more worthwhile.

Yeah, I know how elitist that sounds, but it's true haha.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Oops it was at lvl 50 last time, here's this time at level 100

252+ Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Toxapex: 138-164 (45.3 - 53.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 133-156 (43.7 - 51.3%)

im not sure which spread is the more popular of the Toxapex so there's both
The attack does around half but it'll prolly be brought down to a 3HKO after black sludge

252+ Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 133-156 (43.7 - 51.3%) -- 56.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Here's the Jolly spread for the faster Buzzwole
12 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe

Outpaces max spe Heatran among other things. Should this spread be used instead?

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Torracat @ Eviolite
Ability: Blaze
EVs: unsure
Nature: unsure
- Flamethrower
- ???
- ???
- ???

I intend to use both Torracat and Incineroar on my team but since Torracat's going to be my signature Pokémon i want to know a few things about it. Note: i am European and won't be getting the game until wednesday so i don't know what moves it can learn. And would the fitting nature for Torracat also work for Incineroar? Help would be appreciated, it would save me a lot of time when the game arrives.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Oops it was at lvl 50 last time, here's this time at level 100

252+ Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Toxapex: 138-164 (45.3 - 53.9%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 133-156 (43.7 - 51.3%)

im not sure which spread is the more popular of the Toxapex so there's both
The attack does around half but it'll prolly be brought down to a 3HKO after black sludge

252+ Atk Life Orb Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 133-156 (43.7 - 51.3%) -- 56.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Here's the Jolly spread for the faster Buzzwole
12 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe

Outpaces max spe Heatran among other things. Should this spread be used instead?
Personally I'd run some BU set, but it looks okay to me. Do note though that this thing's gonna suffer a bit until Aegislash gets banned.

Ashrynn

A-Raichu @ Aloraichium Z
Nature: Modest
252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd
Electric Terrain
Electro Ball/Thunderbolt
Focus Blast/Grass Knot
Psychic/Psyshock

I was wondering what people thought of Alolan Raichu as a late-game sweeper. Once the opponents team Electric counter is out of the way I feel a well-timed A-Raichu can decimate teams. It's Sp.Atk may only by 95 however ET and the ability A-Raichu has doubles it's speed meaning a Modest nature would be appropriate for the extra damage. Given that most A-Pokemon are super slow I think EB might actually make more sense than Thunderbolt, but Thunderbolt would be more reliable.

Focus Blast/Grass Knot for coverage. Psychic/Psyshock is just there for a reliable secondary stab which would still be dealing some decent damage. A-Raichu's Z-Move is also quite impressive with a 100% Paralysis chance. A-Raichu might not be the be-all, end-all in 7th gen, but it does have a pretty neat kit at it's disposal and I think could really surprise someone not prepared for it.

Last edited:

Allieon

Best Eeveelution
Crobat @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Air Slash
- Sludge Bomb/Venoshock (if you've got toxic spikes support)
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

Hey guys I recently found a shiny zubat while EV training and she seemed pretty decent so I figured why not use her. Someone suggested this set to me and it seems like it counteracts my completely physical Silvally well enough so I thought I'd give it a try. Does this seem like a good set.

I did actually goof while training her and gave her 252 attack EVs instead of special attack EVs so I'd be completely willing to experiment with a physical moveset as well! Currently she looks like this:

Crobat @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 A / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Cross Poison
- U-turn
- Leech Life

From my experience with just postgame battles this set has been complete garbage so if I was going to stay physical I think replacing aerial ace with fly and leech life with roost might be a good idea? Especially for battle royales. What do you all think?

I was planning to put a Garchomp on my doubles team and i was wondering if this is a good set for it

Garchomp
252 Atk/252 Sp Def 252 Spd 4 HP
Lum Berry
Adamant/Jolly
Rough Skin
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Iron Head
Protect/???

Garchomp's role on my team is to be a physical aggressor.
The Lum Berry is there in the event my opponent tries to debilitate Garchomp (Especially burns) and because I'm constantly paranoid about status hax.
Adamant's obviously useful for something that's not running special attacks and Garchomps's decently fast, but I'm willing to go with Jolly in the event there are more threatening 'mons who'll outspeed it.
Rough Skin for the chip damage and because I'm not running Sandstorm.
Earthquake and Dragon Claw give good STAB. Iron Head is for coverage against Ice and Fairies (Especially the Tapus (I've heard they're rising in popularity)).
Protect is there because I'm also running Earthquake on my Gastrodon and nullifying my opponent's move is never not useful (But I'm open to replacing Protect if there's a better option)

EKZ1505

I was planning to put a Garchomp on my doubles team and i was wondering if this is a good set for it

Garchomp
252 Atk/252 Sp Def 252 Spd 4 HP
Lum Berry
Adamant/Jolly
Rough Skin
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Iron Head
Protect/???

Garchomp's role on my team is to be a physical aggressor.
The Lum Berry is there in the event my opponent tries to debilitate Garchomp (Especially burns) and because I'm constantly paranoid about status hax.
Adamant's obviously useful for something that's not running special attacks and Garchomps's decently fast, but I'm willing to go with Jolly in the event there are more threatening 'mons who'll outspeed it.
Rough Skin for the chip damage and because I'm not running Sandstorm.
Earthquake and Dragon Claw give good STAB. Iron Head is for coverage against Ice and Fairies (Especially the Tapus (I've heard they're rising in popularity)).
Protect is there because I'm also running Earthquake on my Gastrodon and nullifying my opponent's move is never not useful (But I'm open to replacing Protect if there's a better option)

You have too many EVs on it, but I assume you didn't want the SpDef EVs. If you're playing doubles the Protect is almost always necessary unless you're Choiced, holding the AV, or a completely support set. That being said, Focus Sash and Choice Scarf are the best items for Garchomp currently, but Lum isn't bad. Run Jolly unless you're Scarf. Iron Head is perfectly fine but Poison Jab is better against the Tapus and Rock Slide isn't a bad alternative either.

And as a side note, your Gastrodon should be fully special.

You have too many EVs on it, but I assume you didn't want the SpDef EVs. If you're playing doubles the Protect is almost always necessary unless you're Choiced, holding the AV, or a completely support set. That being said, Focus Sash and Choice Scarf are the best items for Garchomp currently, but Lum isn't bad. Run Jolly unless you're Scarf. Iron Head is perfectly fine but Poison Jab is better against the Tapus and Rock Slide isn't a bad alternative either.

And as a side note, your Gastrodon should be fully special.

The SP Def EV's were there in the event I couldn't outspeed something with MAX SP Atk Ice Beam or Moonblast, unless the EVs aren't going to help its special bulk and I'm wasting the EVs on something that won't help its survivability.
Also, just for clarification, when you say Gastrodon should be fully special, do you mean not running Earthquake in favour of Earth Power? Or putting 252 EVs into its special stats? Because if it's the latter, keep in mind that that Gastrodon's role on my team is to be a special wall.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
These two seem like they'd work fairly well as a tag team, with the right support from the rest of the team.

752.png

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Water Bubble
Adamant
248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 SpDef
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Rain Dance
- Crunch/Poison Jab/Surf/Scald/Power Split​

One of the big new powerhouses, this thing deals some incredible damage with Liquidation, thanks to Water Bubble converting it to 170 base power before STAB. This set is made to ensure it has the deadliest possible attack; STAB multiplies the damage by 1.5 times, and rain multiplies it by ANOTHER 1.5 times, meaning we're looking at a 382 BP Liquidation, and a 720 BP Hydro Vortex. Lunge is secondary STAB to use against Water-resistant enemies (in particular things with dual-Water resist, like Kingdra) as well as the Atk drop, and Rain Dance is just to put up rain if you get the chance. Crunch and Poison Jab both provide additional coverage, but in all honesty I'm not sure how useful it is, and sadly enough Araquanid doesn't get access to any Grass moves to help it counter things like Vaporeon and Gastrodon. Surf and Scald are options if you want Special coverage, with them having 180 and 160 BP respectively (405 and 360 respectively with STAB and rain factored in, and 787 or 720 BP Hydro Vortex). Power Split is also useful if you're facing enemies with particularly high Atk, and if you're willing to drop the HP EVs for Speed and use Normalium Z, you can get a Speed boost on top of that. You could also use Life Orb, giving up Hydro Vortex for additional power on your non-Water moves, but in that case I'd probably swap Lunge for Leech Life to give it some recovery.

279.png

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Drizzle
Bold
248 HP, 252 Def, 8 SpAtt
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-Turn
- Roost​

Where Araquanid has great natural special bulk, Pelipper is great on the physical side of things, and has a new toy to play with in the form of Drizzle, making it an interesting alternative to Politoed. Hurricane takes advantage of the rain by being boosted to 100% accuracy, while Scald has its BP boosted to 120 before STAB. U-Turn is there purely to switch Pelipper out into something else, and Roost keeps it from dying due to switching in on Rocks. Not too much needs to be said here.

So what are the downsides of this pairing? Well, they share two common weaknesses: Electric and Rock. This means you will have issues dealing with fast, powerful Rock types like Lycanroc and Nihilego if the wrong one of the pair is in, and a strong enough Thunderbolt, Thunder, or Hurricane will rock their worlds. Speaking of Rock, Stealth Rocks can be a problem as well, as both will lose 25% health to them, and while each has decent enough bulk, that is a pretty heavy blow. Third, and probably most important, is the plethora of Water Absorb, Storm Drain, and Dry Skin pokemon that could just eat up Araquanid's Liquidations. Vaporeon and Gastrodon are probably the two biggest threats in this case, but there's also the threat of things like Mantine, Maractus, Seismitoad, defensive Araquanid, Cradily, Heliolisk, and Jynx, among several others. Your best bet is to have a powerful Grass type user on your side. Kartana in fact is probably an ideal teammate. You'll also want something that can easily spin away rocks, putting Tsareena and Dhelmise up there as potential partners. Jolteon may be a decent team member as well to take advantage of the rain via Thunder.

EKZ1505

The SP Def EV's were there in the event I couldn't outspeed something with MAX SP Atk Ice Beam or Moonblast, unless the EVs aren't going to help its special bulk and I'm wasting the EVs on something that won't help its survivability.
Also, just for clarification, when you say Gastrodon should be fully special, do you mean not running Earthquake in favour of Earth Power? Or putting 252 EVs into its special stats? Because if it's the latter, keep in mind that that Gastrodon's role on my team is to be a special wall.

Well you can't have 252 SpDef EVs if you already have 252 in both Speed in Attack.

While I wouldn't really say there are special "walls" in doubles, yes, you should run Earth Power over Earthquake, ESPECIALLY since the damage from EQ is weakened due to spread damage (not to mention you can hit your teammate, and Garchomp already has EQ).

Well you can't have 252 SpDef EVs if you already have 252 in both Speed in Attack.

While I wouldn't really say there are special "walls" in doubles, yes, you should run Earth Power over Earthquake, ESPECIALLY since the damage from EQ is weakened due to spread damage (not to mention you can hit your teammate, and Garchomp already has EQ).

All right, thanks for the advice.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Lunge vs Leech Life which would be a better move for Buzzwole? Because I can't make up my mind they do the same amount of damage and both have their strengths.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Lunge vs Leech Life which would be a better move for Buzzwole? Because I can't make up my mind they do the same amount of damage and both have their strengths.
Both are usable, but Leech Life will probably be more consistently useful due to the healing.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Couple more sets.

751.png

Dewpider @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Bubble
Level: 5
EVs: 92 HP / 196 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life/Lunge
- Poison Jab/HP Grass/HP Electric
- Scald/HP Grass/HP Electric​

I'll preface by saying I don't know much about LC, aside from the fact that numbers are much smaller, so even single points of stats matter quite a bit. That said, I think Dewpider could be a potential threat due to its Water Bubble ability. I went with a Scarf for this: combined with its Speed EVs, this gives it 19 Speed, which should be enough to outspeed unboosted fully-invested +nature base 82s or neutral nature base 92s. Liquidation is its bread and butter, but this means you'll need to keep your eyes peeled for those with Water Absorb or Storm Drain, such as Chinchou, Mantyke, Wooper, or Shellos. Scald functions as an alternate move in the event that you're facing something with a heavy lean on physical defense. Leech Life offers recovery while Lunge drops Def, so either move could prove a useful secondary STAB, as well as taking on the likes of Cacnea and Lileep. The third move is coverage in the form of Poison Jab, which can prove effective against Fairies with resistance to Water. You could instead take Hidden Power Grass or Electric to handle those Water Absorb/Storm Drain pokemon, however; Grass is probably the better choice overall, but Electric is a safer bet since a number of the threats that'd normally evolve into Water/Ground types start off as pure Water, and it'll also be more effective against Mantyke and Mareanie. The problem it faces, aside from things that can tank its Water hits, is Stealth Rocks; I'm not so sure what kind of threat they pose in LC, but that's the reason for it having its additional EVs in HP.

53-a.png

Persian-Alola @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Snarl
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
- Nasty Plot​

A bit of a twist on the original Nasty Plot Persian. The sad thing is that it loses Shock Wave, Water Pulse, and Icy Wind. In trade, however, it gets a powerful tool in Snarl. Its 55 BP gets increased to 82 due to Technician, making this more powerful than Dark Pulse by just a hair, and it has a 100% chance to reduce a foe's SpAtt. Not to mention it's a Sound move, so it'll pierce through Substitutes. Probably the sad thing about Alolan Persian, however, is how badly it wants for a special Fairy move, which would combo well with Power Gem so you'd have a means to cover against Bug and Fighting types; however, it does still get Hidden Power Ice and Thunderbolt for coverage, which is a solid combo in its own right. While it did get a boost to its SpAtt, it's still sitting at a rather middling 75, so Nasty Plot is as vital to its usefulness as ever. Life Orb is still the item of choice, further buffing its damage, while Sash is a good alternative for if you lead with it, giving up some damage for a guaranteed 1st turn setup. I'll admit that I have no idea how Darkium Z would interact with Snarl in this situation; I suspect it won't consider its enhanced base power from Technician, in which case it's not especially useful, as Black Hole Eclipse from Snarl is only 100 BP, while we're looking at 160 when it's used with Dark Pulse. This could be an option to handle foes who attack rather than switch, expecting you to use Nasty Plot, as you could potentially get a huge chunk of damage on something, and Persian's got great Speed so it's likely to attack first outside of priority and Scarf users. This is a risky move though.