• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SINGLES MEGA GYARDOS! (and friends)

ChrisTheCorruptHero

Beyond Legendary
SINGLES MEGA GYARDOS! (and friends) please rate!

gyarados-mega.jpg

;130; Gyarados ;130;
stat focus: ATT and SPD
item: Gyaradosite
ability: moxie
move 1: waterfall
move 2: bounce
move 3: crunch
move 4: dragon dance

;113; Chansey ;113;
stat focus: HP and DEF
item: eviolite
ability: natural cure
move 1: heal bell
move 2: healing wish
move 3: rain dance
move 4: thunder wave

;034; Nidoking ;034;
stat focus: SP. ATT and SPD
item: expert belt
ability: sheer force
move 1: earth power
move 2: shadow ball
move 3: ice beam
move 4: thunderbolt

;531; Audino ;531;
stat focus: DEF and SP. DEF
item: chople berry
ability: healer
move 1: misty terrain
move 2: healing wish
move 3: simple beam
move 4: wish

;003; Venasaur ;003;
stat focus: DEF and HP
item: leftovers
ability: chlorophyll
move 1: substitute
move 2: synthesis
move 3: giga drain
move 4: leech seed

;671; Florges ;671;
stat focus: DEF and HP
ability: flower veil
item: rocky helmet
move 1: camouflage
move 2: nature power
move 3: misty terrain
move 4: synthesis

Last edited:

cagedWINGS

The Poké-theorist.
What's the background and general battle strategy for the team? What Pokémon are really working well on your team, and which might need suggestions for improvement? Also what are the EVs and Natures of your Pokémon?

I've never tried Expert Belt on Nidoking but Life Orb is a bit better if you're hitting things for neutral damage, and Nidoking will not struggle to OHKO things it hits for neutral damage if it has a Life Orb. You're also not getting recoil damage from the Life Orb because of Sheer Force. Here's the build I use and it's a monster:

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Level: 50
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earthpower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

You're also not going to get much mileage out of that Greninja as it isn't bulky enough and doesn't have reliable recovery to be a toxic staller. Some Pokes are lucky enough to be able to run both kinds of sets but Greninja is specifically designed to be a glass cannon sweeper-type Pokémon; and one of the best in the business at that. I suggest you invest in SpA and Spe and pack its four moveslots with great coverage. Expert Belt could work with Greninja as you'll be hunting for super effective hits. Focus Sash is still good and Life Orb is also an option.

Greninja can be a very effective mixed sweeper with special attacks plus Gunk Shot. If you can get your hands on a Naive natured Froakie with 6IVs breed yourself a mixed one. Invest 4 EVs into Atk and the rest into SpA and Spe. With that combo a Protean Life Orb boosted Gunk Shot is going to hit Fairy-types for a lot of damage. My mixed Greninja also has U-Turn.

Last edited:

ChrisTheCorruptHero

Beyond Legendary
interesting advice to say the least and thank you! I don't put EV's and natures because I just like to say what stats you should focus on. The build on that nidoking is pretty incredible but at the same time life orb doesn't seem too great on it because it's speed is decent but at the same time it's not the best and will get out sped. Add the fact that it has no health recovery on top of that and it's goin down for the count by turn 3 at least. Greninga was just a filler I don't actually need since the focus is on Gyardos,Chansey, and Nidoking for the most part. Gyarados is my physical sweeper, Chansey is a BA tank and healer, and Nidoking just comes in to mop up what ever is left behind with SP. ATT if Gyarados can't muscle past it.

EKZ1505

I don't put EV's and natures because I just like to say what stats you should focus on.

WHAT?? lol If you're trying to get into competitive battling, you need to list the EVs and natures. We can't fully rate a team without them. Speed tiers and your ability to survive certain attacks with certain Pokemon (or OHKO/2HKO certain Pokemon with an attack) certain using specific EV spreads is a HUGE part of competitive battling.

As for your team, I'll support what cagedWINGS said...that Nidoking spread is its best set, and you said you're "focusing" on those stats already anyway. Its not supposed to be a tank or even a sweeper, it just gets huge damage off from the Sheer Force and Life Orb boosts with its vast movepool.

LynxForte

The Phoenix
Lets start at the top,

Gyarados - Mega Gyarados has no business running Bounce. You can run Ice Fang or Earthquake depending on what your team needs. Bounce is fine with base Gyarados, but once it mega evolves, it doesn't get the STAB and it doesn't do much for coverage.

Chansey - Remove Healing Wish for Wish. Chansey is usually a very crucial member of a defensive core and it shouldn't be sacrificed with the use of healing wish. Also, remove Rain Dance. Your team doesn't utilize the rain. Give it Seismic Toss otherwise your Chansey is just Taunt bait and will be forced to switch out.

Nidoking - As others have said, Nidoking's best item is Life Orb. The damage it puts out gives it far better use than Expert Belt as that item only boosts if it's a super effective hit which makes it too situational. Also, Sludge Wave is a mandatory move on Nidoking as it is its strongest STAB move.

Audino - Just a bad pokemon. You want something physically bulky and pairs really well with Chansey, I would recommend Cofagrigus. There are others, but they both cover each others main weaknesses.

Venusaur - This is fine

Florges - I don't know what it is you're trying to accomplish with this set, but it really doesn't do anything. I would recommend Calm Mind, Moon Blast, Aromatherapy and Wish with Leftovers.

Silence27trey

Well he may want to keep the Gyradosite on Gyrados but save him to mega evolve later to keep his natural ability. That's just a thought. Switch out for some Intimidating action! Mega evolve when things get hairy or when things need some sweeping. That's when Moxie comes into play. Or do without the stone on Gyrados completely and give the mega evolution to Venusaur. I just say that cause...I have a Mega Venusaur.

I agree with the Rain Dance, though...why not utilize Venusaur's Chlorophyll? Solar Beam combo? Maybe? Bust out Mega Gyrados to finish sweeping...these are just ideas.

Healing Wish is good if you can get your timing right.

CagedWing's Nidoking idea looks great!

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earthpower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

LynxForte

The Phoenix
Well he may want to keep the Gyradosite on Gyrados but save him to mega evolve later to keep his natural ability. That's just a thought. Switch out for some Intimidating action! Mega evolve when things get hairy or when things need some sweeping. That's when Moxie comes into play. Or do without the stone on Gyrados completely and give the mega evolution to Venusaur. I just say that cause...I have a Mega Venusaur.

I agree with the Rain Dance, though...why not utilize Venusaur's Chlorophyll? Solar Beam combo? Maybe? Bust out Mega Gyrados to finish sweeping...these are just ideas.

Healing Wish is good if you can get your timing right.

CagedWing's Nidoking idea looks great!

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earthpower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt should be replaced with Flamethrower. The only thing that thunderbolt covers that Ice Beam doesn't is water types and Venusaur can handle those that don't carry ice coverage. Flamethrower gives a way to handle Ferrothorn and as of right now, this team loses to it.