1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Singles Rate & Moveset Request Thread - Read The First Post Before Asking A Question!

Discussion in '5th Gen In-Game RMT' started by Noctourniquet, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerech

Kerech Shinigami...CHOP!

^I'd like to add that Fire Blast + Thunderbolt can be slashed with Blaze Judgement + Energy Ball; the former is a slightly stronger variant, with the Fire STAB gaining strength at the expense of a bit of accuracy and burn rate, but allowing for a stronger Water check. Also, with Fire Blast, covering Ghost/Dark is moot, as, with the exception of Focus Blast at Darks, Fire Blast will generally be stronger than Shadow Ball/HP[Fighting].

Also, I'd honestly like to take a moment and say something here, and I mean no offense, but: This thread is first and foremost designed to help people with their Pokemon, as is the rest of IGTR. That being said, it would be extremely helpful if people stopped spamming movesets. I understand that everyone wants their set(s) in the OP, but please, this is not a contest. I also understand that it is fun to get your set noticed; I knew from the beginning that this version of a Singles Thread would attract such attention, and I myself have fallen into posting for the sake of being OP'd. I'm not asking people to stop doing that. But I am asking people to cut back heavily on the amount of sets they include in a single post. If it's because you want advice, then sure, I guess. But if it's for glory, please refrain from doing so.

Tl;dr version: Please stop mass posting for the sake of being OP'd. It's way too much to wade through. Thank you.

2. Sceptilo

Sceptilo Hakuna Matata!

just one thing, I think stoutland doesn't get earthquake. I think nobody said that.

a ground alternative would be dig, but it's bad, so... he has got the elemental fangs, aerial ace and reversal as offensive options, but imo all of them are bad. work up is a boosting move, but also bad...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. Lucario0708

Lucario0708 Destiny Combining...

anyone know a good moveset for accelgor, im wracking my brain trying to figure out one

4. benwsf

benwsf The Torterra Trainer

Accelgor @Wiseglasses
    Modest Nature
    -Toxic
    -Venom Shock
    -Energy Ball
    -Focus Blast

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  5. Roxas013

Roxas013 Pirate King

does anybody know agood moveset 4 liligant

6. benwsf

benwsf The Torterra Trainer

Lilligant @ Leftovers
    • Own Tempo
    • Modest Nature
    • 60 HP / 252 SpAtk / 196 Spe
    - Petal Dance
    - Butterfly Dance
    - Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Sleep Powder
    Just look on the first page.

7. Noctourniquet

Noctourniquet ∆∆∆

I just made some changes to the OP. They are quite important, so please take a moment to read them.

---

literally there are so many variants of such a simple thing. ._.

this is fine.

After discussion with Kerech on Msn, we think this is the best way to run Victini;

Victini @ Wide Lens
    • Victory Star
    • Timid Nature
    • 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    - Fire Blast
    - Psycho Shock
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

thanks people.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  8. Monochromatic

Monochromatic A.k.a: Nemo

To be honest, is it really a good idea to run a 5 PP move as a STAB? It's not like its not going to see a lot of use and is highly situational.

Why not Flamethrower over Fire Blast. Surely, you wouldn't want to be stuck with no PP left on your primary STAB?

I don't know, I'm just really biased with regards to PP. It sucks having to waste an Ether or have to run back to a Pokemon Center just for PP.

9. iirc Fire Blast has 10 PP. Same as Ice Beam.

10. Monochromatic

11. Oh... Oops! Yeah you're right, but I guess it's not that much of a big deal, just use a PP Max, how often do you use those, you probably won't run out.

12. Kerech

Kerech Shinigami...CHOP!

Actually, Fire Blast is Victini's strongest move; it will be using that move as a default unless the need for another arises. Also, omitting a move due to low PP isn't necessary; some of the most useful/powerful moves are put into the game with low PP so that it can stay balanced. I can guarantee you that battles exist, even in game, where that extra bit of power will be worth the PP drop.

Secondly, let's not forget that Victini carries Psycho Shock as well, which is a decently powered move by itself. Thunderbolt and Focus Blast are also strong moves. Also, Victini would not be the only Pokemon on the team (we assume). If it somehow runs out of PP, switch out.

Lastly, keep in mind that Victini has 100 base SpA. If one actually EV trains in-game, I can assure you that that is more than enough for Victini to tear through the game with Thunderbolt alone.

For all raters: never be afraid to recommend a move because of its PP; it's all situational.

13. GalladeX

GalladeX Well-Known Member

:U Sorry. I guess I just kind of got overexcited when my set got OP'd.

Anyway...I thought posting an Emolga set would be helpful, since it seems to be pretty popular:

[​IMG]
    Emolga @ Focus Sash
    • Motor Drive
    • Hasty
    • 126 Atk / 130 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
    - Thunder Wave
    - Electro Ball
    - U-Turn
    - Acrobatics

LOOK THE HAPPY SQUIRREL THINGY IS GONNA HUG YOU LOOK OUT.
    Electro Ball abuse set. :U
    Motor Drive is preferable, but since it can't get that right now, its other ability is acceptable. Focus Sash because it has to survive a turn so the set can work. :U Hasty is because it's mixed and needs to be fasssttttt.
    Thunder Wave + Electro Ball are the key to the set. Thunder Wave slows the opponent down, so Electro Ball can do as much damage as possible.
    Acrobatics is the second key move to this set. Since you're gonna get PAWNCHED and 99% of the time going to have your Sash broken, hence the Hasty nature just to be sure, Acrobatics gets its power doubled in addition to STAB.
    U-Turn is just to GTFO if need be.

I was kind of iffy with the EVs, since I'm not that experienced with mixed sets. Are they good-ish...?

14. Monochromatic

I'd take Flamethrower over Fire Blast because of that very reason. Even if it were Flamethrower and not Fire Blast, it would still be Victini's priority move. And the extra PP will keep it in use.

I don't deny the fact that it is powerful. But, as you said, it's balanced. It sacrifices power for accuracy (Irrelevant at the moment) and PP. And I doubt it will be very often where you will need Fire Blast to take down an opponent. Just use a super-effective move or switch out (Or switch before the battle even begins). It sucks to have to Fly back to the Center for PP. Not to mention most people won't have Fly on their team, because it's seldom used in Unova. And correct me if I'm wrong (And my whole argument depends on this), but you can't buy Ethers anywhere. If you can, I'll go chew on my own sock. Not to mention that switching Pokés can hamper training. All in all, I don't think it's worth the extra damage. I haven't see the Routes of Unova yet, but I used to not going for 5PP moves from other Gens.

If he can tear through with T-Bolt alone, then he can do it with Flamethrower, Psycho Shock (They have a similar number of NotVeryEffectives/SuperEffectives). That's beside the point, TBH.

If it weren't Victini's STAB move, I'd go Fire Blast over Flamethrower. It is situational.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  15. Kerech

Kerech Shinigami...CHOP!

If you use Flamethrower > Fire Blast, then you need to drop down to Energy Ball > Thunderbolt. You might also have to consider Shadow Ball. By replacing its strong Fire STAB with a weaker version, you power down your whole set. You could use a LO to rectify that, but now you're losing money OR making the same trips to the Centers.

And I've seen a lot of people consider Fly on their teams. However, if it's as you say, and Fly is seldom used in Unova, this would mean it's easier to get around, meaning it's easier to get back to Pokemon Centers, meaning it's moot.

Point is: Taking off FB means losing power or versatility.

16. Monochromatic

Are you implying that Victini should have to deal with Ground and Water/Ground Types on his own, with Fire Blast? That's when Psycho Shock/Switch-In comes in. I doubt very much, though I could be wrong, that Fire Blast will be sure to handle them too. Just wondering, I might be missing something obvious, but why Wide Lens? Why not WiseGlasses, or something to that effect. I don't know, anything that boosts SpA and/or Damage. Doesn't have to be LO or Choice. I thought Victory Star was making FB 95%, not Wide Lens...or did they decide to slap on a useless Double/Triple Battle only ability on him?

I've always assumed that Fly wasn't necessary because the main storyline did not require backtracking to older cities to trigger events, not because of shorter routes or whatever "easier to get around" implies. I don't own the Japanese Version, so I don't have personal experience, so again, I could be wrong. And Fly is almost always instantaneously dismissed from any set unless the team builder requests that it stays, at least when I rate, anyways. And they almost always follow up and remove Fly.

17. If you use Flamethrower, it doesn't hit Ground types hard enough, so Energy Ball is necessary. Fire Blast hits Ground types harder than Energy Ball.

18. Kerech

Kerech Shinigami...CHOP!

Ground Pokemon are hit harder by a neutral Fire Blast than a SE Energy Ball. Thunderbolt is stronger against Water Pokemon than Energy Ball and Fire Blast, and Focus Blast is stronger against Rock than Energy Ball and Fire Blast. Admittedly, Water/Ground cannot be hit for SE damage, but there are only 5 species of Pokemon with that combination. That's not a high enough number to warrant dropping Thunderbolt.

Wide Lens + Victory Star makes Fire Blast 100+% accurate, while bringing Focus Blast to about 84%, which is an excellent boost. Using damage-boosting items isn't always necessary, especially when a more practical item is available. In this case, the stronger set doesn't need to take advantage of a damage-boosting item due to its, well, being stronger.

Ah, I see. Well, that doesn't mean that they don't carry a Flier on them. We don't recommend Fly because it's an inefficient attacking move, not because it isn't extremely useful. I use Fly lol, even though I'd never recommend it on a team.

19. There are more than five Pokemon with the water ground combination: Gastrodon, Quagsire, Wooper, Palpitoad, Seismitoad, Barboach, Whiscash, Marshtomp and Swampert.

20. Roxas013

Roxas013 Pirate King

i say go with flamethrower cuz personally i hate wen fire blast misses at crucial moments nd causes u 2 get KOd or hav 2 make a switch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.