• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sinnoh Dex 3.0 Speculation Thread

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm personally not expecting that many additions to the Shinou Zukan (Pokedex) other than possibly Pokemon like Nymphia (Sylveon) depending on the circumstances and possibly regional variants from other games, although the latter might be post-game exclusive. I still don't know what to expect with regards to which Shinou Zukan they'll use in these games, however. My gut tells me that it'll be the D/P one just for the sake of consistency with the original games.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm personally not expecting that many additions to the Shinou Zukan (Pokedex) other than possibly Pokemon like Nymphia (Sylveon) depending on the circumstances and possibly regional variants from other games, although the latter might be post-game exclusive. I still don't know what to expect with regards to which Shinou Zukan they'll use in these games, however. My gut tells me that it'll be the D/P one just for the sake of consistency with the original games.
I don't think that people would want to be stuck with Ponyta as their only Fire-type option again.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
But still, Mythicals usually are in the Regional Dex.

Mythicals are never in the regional dex proper. You can get the diploma for completing the regional dex without obtaining any mythical.

I don't think that people would want to be stuck with Ponyta as their only Fire-type option again.

Infernape is right there though. I'm a huge Fire-type fanboy, but this time I'm considering something off the beaten path. I've done Infernape and Torterra runs to death and am actually feeling the want to start with Piplup for some reason and go fully off the beaten path. Probably a team with Empoleon, (Mega) Lopunny, Carnivine, Drapion, Froslass.

Sure, I'm not the majority of players and I get that people would rather have access to Magmortar or (Mega) Houndoom - and it would most certainly make Flint's team better.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
But still, Mythicals usually are in the Regional Dex.
Only Manaphy was part of a regional Dex and necessary for completion. Granted you got it through a book and didn't need to own it but it still was a part of the Sinnoh Dex. Manaphy is the exception to Mythical never being necessary for completing a regional Dex.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Only Manaphy was part of a regional Dex and necessary for completion. Granted you got it through a book and didn't need to own it but it still was a part of the Sinnoh Dex. Manaphy is the exception to Mythical never being necessary for completing a regional Dex.
Manaphy was only necessary for Platinum because they tacked the new additions onto the end instead of renumbering the Dex like later games have. The Dex will probably be renumbered this time if they use Platinum's expansion, and Manaphy will be moved to the end so it's not needed.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RileyXY1 said:
Maybe not, but that's sort of irrelevant considering that Nintendo and its affiliates most likely don't care. Game Freak left players with only two Fire-type line options once before, and I don't think that the new developers are above doing that as well.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well this is the first region they're remaking where the third version had a dex expansion, so there's no real precedent for whether they use the original's or third version's dex. But considering HGSS and ORAS was willing to add in cross gen evos that were introduced since the originals and the dex expansion was a response to significant issues with the first games' dex, I don't think they're that dead set on being that faithful to the originals that they'd reopen old wounds or exclude 4th gen Pokemon that probably should've been there in the first place (looking at you, post game cross gen evos and legendaries). They seem to draw the line at adding in new families that weren't there before, you most likely won't see the likes of say, Litwick or Salazzle in the Sinnoh Dex and you probably won't see stuff like Growlithe or Vulpix either (unless they just add everything in the game to the Sinnoh Dex and they're not actually accessible until post game), but anything else they can do to fix dex issues they seem to be willing to do. Cross gen evos and regional variants have already been in, third game expansions aren't really much of a step up from that.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Considering how very much they seem to be going for direct remake this time, and no hints at new forms even for the box legendaries, I think you might not want to get your hopes up. I'm betting the dex is going to be directly the dex from Platinum, no new regional forms, or form changes, and anything from SWSH that isn't in the game is transfer only.

I strongly doubt the games are going to be flat out copy & paste renditions of the original titles.

For one, the BDSP site already stated the games will contain up-to-date player-friendly features found in current Pokémon games. This will likely include the permanent EXP-Share, type matchup hints during battle, and the removal of HMs. Also, it is quite unlike only the 210 pokemon from Platinum will appear in BDSP, given the Gracidea Woman was spotted in the trailer. Shaymin does not appear in the Platinum PokéDex. This already boosts the tally theoretically up to 211.

If we were to include all the other legendaries of Gen 4 who also don't appear in the Platinum Dex - Cresselia, Heatran, Phione, Regigigas, Darkrai, and Arceus - that would bring the tally up to 217. Only two of the six aforementioned pokemon appear in Sword & Shield, giving more incentive into getting BSDP.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Also, it is quite unlike only the 210 pokemon from Platinum will appear in BDSP, given the Gracidea Woman was spotted in the trailer. Shaymin does not appear in the Platinum PokéDex. This already boosts the tally theoretically up to 211.

If we were to include all the other legendaries of Gen 4 who also don't appear in the Platinum Dex - Cresselia, Heatran, Phione, Regigigas, Darkrai, and Arceus - that would bring the tally up to 217. Only two of the six aforementioned pokemon appear in Sword & Shield, giving more incentive into getting BSDP.
To be fair, 7 extra Pokemon isn't much of a difference from Platinum, that'd be pretty underwhelming. It's still a far cry from the larger, 300-400 Pokemon regional dexes of recent games. Totally expected, but still underwhelming.

Last edited:

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I strongly doubt the games are going to be flat out copy & paste renditions of the original titles.

For one, the BDSP site already stated the games will contain up-to-date player-friendly features found in current Pokémon games. This will likely include the permanent EXP-Share, type matchup hints during battle, and the removal of HMs. Also, it is quite unlike only the 210 pokemon from Platinum will appear in BDSP, given the Gracidea Woman was spotted in the trailer. Shaymin does not appear in the Platinum PokéDex. This already boosts the tally theoretically up to 211.

Three of those appear in Sword and Shield, not two (Cresselia, Heatran and Regigigas).

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I can see them utilising the Platinum dex given that Porygon-Z was in the trailer so I'm confident that we won't be stuck with naff all Fire-types like in DP (And that's one of my main worries that I thought of in the initial reveal), and if they do go down the Platinum dex route, then Sylveon will probs be here too, using the logic that HGSS's Johto dex had the 251 plus the Sinnoh mons that evolve by using a level up move. Also as previously stated, Shaymin will probs be in the dex as well given the NPC in Floaroma Town in Platinum is there in BDSP.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
To be fair, 7 extra Pokemon isn't much of a difference from Platinum, that'd be pretty underwhelming. It's still a far cry from the larger, 300-400 Pokemon regional dexes of recent games. Totally expected, but still underwhelming.

I was only driving a point. We will likely have the entire Gen 4 National Dex.

Three of those appear in Sword and Shield, not two (Cresselia, Heatran and Regigigas).

Oh snap! I forgot about Regigigas! lol

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I was only driving a point. We will likely have the entire Gen 4 National Dex.
Right, and I agree with you on that, but in terms of being an exciting, tangible expansion, 7 extra Pokemon that were just post game legendaries isn't much better than not having anything more than Platinum's 210 at all. What people are probably going to be looking for to get excited is something along the lines of at least 25-50 new Pokemon available in the main game or a selection as expansive as say, BW2, XY, SM, USUM, or SwSh. And considering Game Freak's track record of not changing the dex much in remakes (even in games where they fully had the opportunity to like ORAS), and the game being described as a faithful remake, it's highly unlikely that's going to happen. So the overall point that you shouldn't get your hopes up for the Sinnoh Dex is a good one, it seems wise to do so.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I can see them utilising the Platinum dex given that Porygon-Z was in the trailer so I'm confident that we won't be stuck with naff all Fire-types like in DP (And that's one of my main worries that I thought of in the initial reveal).
My only concern about Porygon-Z being revealed is that it could have been the player character's Pokémon.

Luthor

I'm hoping Rotom will be available at lot earlier that it was in Diamond and Pearl (only post-game). Especially considering how it's multiple forms (which now have a different typing) might make up for some of the limited options in the dex.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm hoping Rotom will be available at lot earlier that it was in Diamond and Pearl (only post-game). Especially considering how it's multiple forms (which now have a different typing) might make up for some of the limited options in the dex.

If they follow Platinum, it'll be available as soon as you can use Cut. It might be best to stick with that.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Oh yea, I'm gonna have issues if they don't make Gible available as soon as you complete the second gym like in Platinum.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
A conservative estimate of the Pokémon i think will be available, whether in the Dex or not - I hope there’s more...

All 493 from Gens 1-4 - as someone here said (can’t remember who), anything else is a downgrade. Regional forms are included.

Sylveon, the two new Regis, and the regional evolutions for Pokémon gens 1-4 - 8

Gen 5 and 7 starters because of Legends: Arceus - 18

already that brings the total up to 519, not counting alternate forms. As for whether or not they’ll be part of a Dex, we have some precedent with SwSh that they may still be available. I’m still anticipating at least Platinum’s Sinnoh Dex though.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Considering how very much they seem to be going for direct remake this time, and no hints at new forms even for the box legendaries, I think you might not want to get your hopes up. I'm betting the dex is going to be directly the dex from Platinum, no new regional forms, or form changes, and anything from SWSH that isn't in the game is transfer only.
Not quite--the trailer shows the statue in Eterna City as being a combination of Dialga, Palkia, and Arceus, so there may be some sort of Kyurem-esque fusion going on here:

pokemon_brilliant_diamond_shining_pearl_dialga_statue.jpg

Since this is the final shot of the trailer before the titles, it hints that things are not going to be exactly the same.