• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sinnoh Dex 3.0 Speculation Thread

TRNRLogan

They would have to make more Sword and Shield DLC, and I don't know if people would want that.
That's just plain not true. They don't have to do anything else to the game for updates, though they might take the time to fix bugs.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
No, they don't need DLC. All they would need is to update SwSh to make the new Pokemon tradeable, there's no need for DLC.
Creating DLC would mean that players would actually be able to catch these Pokemon outside of Max Raids.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This may be wishful thinking, but I think they should make Phione a rare, but available wild Pokemon instead of locking it behind breeding Manaphy with Ditto. Phione is just an inferior Manaphy, and by making Phione a wild Pokemon you could sell the idea of Manaphy being this really special Phione. It's like how Diancie is a mythical equivalent of Carbink. Having Phione be a wild Pokemon would give it a smaller pond to feel better about itself

Akashin

Creating DLC would mean that players would actually be able to catch these Pokemon outside of Max Raids.
I would think that, were they to make those Pokemon available, making them exclusive to Max Raids is exactly what they would do.; make a Max Raid event (perhaps coinciding with a similar event adding the new Pokemon to Go) showing off the new Pokemon, hopefully letting you catch them, but maybe just showing them off and encouraging people to buy Legends: Arceus. I can't see any reason for them to do a third DLC just for that, so I can't see that being a roadblock to them making the Pokemon usable in Sword and Shield.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
No, that can be done in an update too. Every month, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin is simply adding new monsters to use and battle against without DLC. They just kind of put them into the overworld.

(There's also no indication it would have to be available without trading. It would be the worse option, but it's one people can live with because it's been done each generation with a remake game ever since a lot of Generation I Pokémon were conspicuously absent in the Hoenn games until FireRed and LeafGreen came out.)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
No, that can be done in an update too. Every month, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin is simply adding new monsters to use and battle against without DLC. They just kind of put them into the overworld.

(There's also no indication it would have to be available without trading. It would be the worse option, but it's one people can live with because it's been done each generation with a remake game ever since a lot of Generation I Pokémon were conspicuously absent in the Hoenn games until FireRed and LeafGreen came out.)
They are not Game Freak. Game Freak tends to avoid patching in Pokemon to older games unless they can create something new out of it.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
They are not Game Freak. Game Freak tends to avoid patching in Pokemon to older games unless they can create something new out of it.
Game Freak's broken a lot of rules this generation and is now finally on a video game system that can easily implement updates. They've also already done some updates without adding in DLC.

Take a look at the version history of Pokémon Sword and Shield. 1.1.0 was the implementation of Isle of Armor, and 1.3.0 was the implementation of Crown Tundra. There have been updates other than that; the game is currently running on 1.3.2, which means there have been at least two updates since Crown Tundra. They're minor fixes (such as properly preventing Kyogre and Groudon from having their Blue and Red Orbs taken from them via item-switching moves like Trick), but the fact remains that Game Freak is actively updating the game.

As for Pokémon, Zarude was not in the programming for Pokémon Sword and Shield upon release. It was added in via an update. This was most likely done to stop data-miners from learning its identity until its announcement, but there's been a precedent for this too.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Game Freak's broken a lot of rules this generation and is now finally on a video game system that can easily implement updates. They've also already done some updates without adding in DLC.

Take a look at the version history of Pokémon Sword and Shield. 1.1.0 was the implementation of Isle of Armor, and 1.3.0 was the implementation of Crown Tundra. There have been updates other than that; the game is currently running on 1.3.2, which means there have been at least two updates since Crown Tundra. They're minor fixes (such as properly preventing Kyogre and Groudon from having their Blue and Red Orbs taken from them via item-switching moves like Trick), but the fact remains that Game Freak is actively updating the game.

As for Pokémon, Zarude was not in the programming for Pokémon Sword and Shield upon release. It was added in via an update. This was most likely done to stop data-miners from learning its identity until its announcement, but there's been a precedent for this too.
Aside from adding in mythicals they haven't patched in any Pokemon without the addition of DLC areas, and Zarude and possible future mythicals as you said were patched in later on in order to prevent dataminers from spoiling their existence, as this happened with the mythicals of Gens 6 and 7.

Akashin

Aside from adding in mythicals they haven't patched in any Pokemon without the addition of DLC areas, and Zarude and possible future mythicals as you said were patched in later on in order to prevent dataminers from spoiling their existence, as this happened with the mythicals of Gens 6 and 7.
Perhaps not, but they haven't had to, either. This will be the first time this Generation that new Pokemon have been added to the overall roster outside of Sword and Shield, so there's no strong precedent for the importance they'll place on patching those in.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Perhaps not, but they haven't had to, either. This will be the first time this Generation that new Pokemon have been added to the overall roster outside of Sword and Shield, so there's no strong precedent for the importance they'll place on patching those in.

Incorrect, as USUM had the new UBs (Blacephalon, Stakataka, Poipole, and Naganadel) and Zeraora, and LGPE had Meltan and Melmetal. So right now there is an established precedent that the new ones added mid-gen are not patched into the older games. However, with only SwSh being compatible with VGC, there is an argument for saying they might change precedence.

Personally I don't think they will and you'll still have to buy the new game to use the new Pokemon, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Akashin

Incorrect, as USUM had the new UBs (Blacephalon, Stakataka, Poipole, and Naganadel) and Zeraora, and LGPE had Meltan and Melmetal. So right now there is an established precedent that the new ones added mid-gen are not patched into the older games. However, with only SwSh being compatible with VGC, there is an argument for saying they might change precedence.

Personally I don't think they will and you'll still have to buy the new game to use the new Pokemon, but I'm not 100% certain on that.
I said this Generation. I'm aware that this isn't the first time they've done this.

Your point about SWSH remaining the core of the competitive scene is mostly what I'm looking at. If Legends were to take their place there would be no doubt in my mind they'd force you to upgrade to use the new Pokemon, but because the situation is what it is, things are a bit blurier.

Pokemon Power

Perhaps we should wait until Nintendo and the Pokemon Company clarify this before we get into a deep discussion about it. We're supposed to be talking about which Pokemon will make it into Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, not about potential future updates to Sword and Shield.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
Someone previously outlined (in either this or another thread) specifically which pokemon were still missing from each gen in SWSH. If the 493 are in, then every missing pokemon from kanto through sinnoh is in. Doesn't that only leave (correct me if I'm wrong) 100ish left from Unova, Kalos and Alola that hadn't appeared in either SWSH or the original Dppt 493? Perhaps this game will feature the 493 + 100 or so more from gens 5, 6 & 7 that were still missing from SWSH (I'm not suggesting that even if this were the case that they'd definitely be patched back into SWSH)

Julia Artemis

Honestly if it's just 493 I'd be fine with that, still way better Dex than in OG DP by a lot. Also people forget the Platinum dex was just slightly better, a good chunk of the 493 had to be transferred and wasn't catchable in game Though still think we're getting variant form trades and maybe the missing starters. Though the latter might be something we're getting in Legends Arceus in post game

Pokemon Power

Out of the blue, the latest trailer confirms the Finneon, Combee, Jigglypuff, Torchic, and Burmy familes!
EDIT: Website also confirms the Shroomish and Skitty families.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Out of the blue, the latest trailer confirms the Finneon, Combee, Jigglypuff, Torchic, and Burmy familes!
Combee, Burmy, and Finneon were always going to be in the Sinnoh Dex as they were part of the original DP Dex. Jigglypuff and Torchic are trickier though as they may or may not be in Amnity Square post game or as unnumbered Pokémon transferred from Home or SwSh.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I think that I would have been more happy if the walking pokemon could be spoken to, and there were text boxes showing how some of them reacted to their environments like in HGSS. I don't want them to just be cute baubles.

I've noticed that a lot of the mons shown in the trailers aren't in SwSh.
Its probably just coincidence. SwSh is sitll missing quite a lot of lines with Gen IV pokemon after all.

But I would love it if more of them were patched into SwSh (and SwSh got more PC boxes). Why else would IOA add all of the fossils besides the Sinnoh ones? It would help sell BDSP to SwSh players.

Even if I don't get BDSP (which is quite likely at the moment TBH, I see very little content that is new to me personally). I would at least be happy to know that there is something to look forward to in SwSh.

Pokemon Power

I think that I would have been more happy if the walking pokemon could be spoken to, and there were text boxes showing how some of them reacted to their environments like in HGSS. I don't want them to just be cute baubles.

I've noticed that a lot of the mons shown in the trailers aren't in SwSh.
Its probably just coincidence. SwSh is sitll missing quite a lot of lines with Gen IV pokemon after all.

But I would love it if more of them were patched into SwSh (and SwSh got more PC boxes). Why else would IOA add all of the fossils besides the Sinnoh ones? It would help sell BDSP to SwSh players.

Even if I don't get BDSP (which is quite likely at the moment TBH, I see very little content that is new to me personally). I would at least be happy to know that there is something to look forward to in SwSh.
While I am into what you're saying, I gotta remind you again that we need to stay on topic.

TwilightBlade

Honestly if it's just 493 I'd be fine with that, still way better Dex than in OG DP by a lot. Also people forget the Platinum dex was just slightly better, a good chunk of the 493 had to be transferred and wasn't catchable in game Though still think we're getting variant form trades and maybe the missing starters. Though the latter might be something we're getting in Legends Arceus in post game
Having just the 493 would be underwhelming. And while it's true that many Pokemon had to be transferred into Platinum and even the original Diamond and Pearl to complete the Dex the same applies to most Pokemon games because trading and transferring Pokemon is part of the game play.