• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sinnoh Platinum Gym Leaders.

yeminied

I was just looking through the Platinum discussion thread and found there wasn't a thread on the gym leaders. Basically talk about which ones you found difficult, which ones you found easy and which ones were plain annoying.

I for one found Byron incredibly easy, I only had to try and beat him once. Every gym leader I have faced I have had to challenge at least more than once, except Roark but he was easy, and I just found Byron a pushover.

It was similar with Crasher Wake but his Gyarados was a beast while his other two got massacred by Empoleon's grass knot.

So talk about the mighty leaders of Sinnoh's eight official gyms.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Byron and Roark are the easiest.

By far Candice and Fantina gave me the most trouble.

Mercutio

Galaxy Master Kush
I've found the Platinum gyms harder than the Pearl ones even though I took greater care with Platinum team building- caught more pokemon so as to be able to focus on gyms weaknesses, EV trained to an extent etc.

Fantina's Mismagius was annoying as was Wake's Floatzel.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
Fantina gave me the most trouble. It wasn't that she was hard to beat she just kept confusing my Pokemon and putting them to sleep which was annoying.

Tf5174

Fantina gave me the most trouble and her Mismagius spammed magical leaf/psybeam on me. 0_0.

Empoleon Bonaparte

Crasher Wake... I was seriously underleveled, took me about a week. After a week, I finally found a Heart Scale and re-learned Wood Hammer to Torterra (accidentally pressed B when he tried to learn it). That allowed me to cause havoc in the Crasher's gym.

Concept

Führer of Fun
I've only just got it, so only faced Roark and Gardenia so far. Both were easy (Roark vs Piplup and Staravia vs Gardenia). I'm thinking Gabite will do most of the work against Fantina.

I'm playing right now and just got the beacon badge yesturday, but I thought Gardenia and Crasher Wake where tough. I only had Prinplup against Gardenia though, and my Empoleon was just enough for Crasher Wakes Floatazel and Gyarados

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
Crasher Wake... I was seriously underleveled, took me about a week. After a week, I finally found a Heart Scale and re-learned Wood Hammer to Torterra (accidentally pressed B when he tried to learn it). That allowed me to cause havoc in the Crasher's gym.

Can't Torterra only learn Wood Hammer through the move dude?

Anyway, Fatina and Candice gave me the most trouble out of all of the leaders. Horray for conformity...

Captain Noob

Feelin' Sleepy
I actually got the most trouble from Roark, 'cos I picked Chimchar. Since most Pokés learn Normal or Not-Very-Effective-to-Rock moves at the start, I had a tough time. I actually think Roark is the reason Chimchar evolves so early, to give you a better chance with Mach Punch as Monferno (same level as his highest level.)

I also struggled with Wake, because even Luxio's Spark would not OHKO his Gyarados even at 4x effectiveness (probably 'cos of Intimidate.) However, I had a bulky Meganium for his others (which I also had to use to finish Roark earlier as a Chikorita.)

Anyway, Gardenia, Candice and Fantina were absolute pushovers. In fact, I can't even remember Fantina's fight 'cos it was so easy. Infernape also totally owns Candice, and Staravia destroyed Gardenia, 'cos it's the only not-half-bad "First Route" Pokémon ever.

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
The Gym Leaders were always easy for me, but I had the most trouble on the Ice and Electric Gyms mainly because I was playing the game with only Johto Pokemon and most Johto Pokemon you can catch in Shinoh are Flying types.

Can't Torterra only learn Wood Hammer through the move dude?

Anyway, Fatina and Candice gave me the most trouble out of all of the leaders. Horray for conformity...

yea you can only have torterra learn wood hammer through the move realearned

Dizzee

In D/P it defenitely was fantina, with candice on a second place for the hardest gymleader.
In plat she is way easier and candice takes the leading spot in my opinion.
Although i have no trouble with either gymleaders.

alakazam_1

Alakazam used WIN
I'm in Scotland and only got Platinum 8 days ago (release day!), and I've been really busy since then. I went through to Solaceon quickly, then completely stopped to search for some 31IV Dittos on my Pearl so that my team may have optimum Speed and appropriate Atk/SpA IVs (and HP Ice for my Infernape). I found each of the first 3 gyms a pushover, though I do admit to overleveling. My Monferno was about L18 when I reached Roark, so Mach Punch 2HKO'd Geodude while it used SR, 2HKO'd Onix while it used Screech (or maybe a 3HKO with 2 Screeches, can't remember) and OHKO'd the mighty Cranidos before it even moved. Since my starter was Chimchar, I won't even describe Gardenia. I also have a Floatzel and it was all Fantina could do not to start crying when her team was utterly swept. <evil laugh>

EDIT: For those that don't know, Floatzel learns Crunch when it evolves.

Last edited:

mimefan

Banned
Candice, geez, I wouldn't mind, but why, oh why, does she have a double team spamming ghost type for.

Vespiformation

I wonder why they did it so that you do the 5th gym 3rd? Anyone know? I thought it was a nice surprise though. Anyway I found the 7th gym very hard! It's so hard to get a fire pokemon that isnt ponyta or chimchar. However I got turtwig so I didn't have a fire one which is probably why I didn't find it so hard on diamond since I did have chimchar. It took me so long to do it was rather hard. I mean I had staraptor which was fine until froslass which was so hard, but did it eventually. The rest of the gyms were fine.

Araleon

Chill
Well, I haven't gone too far in the game, only four badges, and I had the hardest time with Gardenia in this game because I am really stubborn. I planned my team before I started playing, and little did I know I would only have Prinplup and Luxio for the second gym... Surprisingly, the time I did beat her, Prinplup was the only Pokemon I used. I spammed Peck, but that's not the point. xD

The other Gyms were easier. The first Gym I had Piplup, the third Gym I had Luxio's Bite and Togetic's Metronome/Yawn, and for the fourth Gym, it was mostly a collaborative effort, although I couldn't use Eevee. I did keep Prinplup out of it, I didn';t want to overuse him compared to the others.

Shadow XD001

The Gyms were good this time. Some were easy, while some weren't but it is good when they are hard, because it gets you thinking! ^_^