• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sinnoh regional variant Pokémon speculation

wellwellwells

I think a cool concept could be like pre forms. Like sort of beta versions of pokemon that evolve into the modern day pokemon. Due to it being in the past, they can play with the concept of evolution in the real world. Like there can be pokemon that have slight or even massive differences to how they are today.
Also Mega-Aerodactyl dex entry says that that’s how it really looked in the past, so maybe fossil pokemon original forms?

ShadowForce720

Also Mega-Aerodactyl dex entry says that that’s how it really looked in the past, so maybe fossil pokemon original forms?
I doubt that we would get the past forms of the fossils here as keep in mind the fossil Pokémon went extinct millions of years ago, not just a hundred years ago.

Pokémon Legends Arceus isn’t taking place quite that far back.

Ryker101

‘Ancestral’ forms would be really cool, especially for fossil pokemon. Most of them are implied to have lost their original typing in the restoration process anyways (as it’s replaced by rock). That and pokemon like Durant/Heatmor, whose pokedex entries also state that they’ve changed over the years (like how durant gained steel armour) would also have different appearances in the past. Stuff like that really, they have a lot they can do with this. I could definitely see this concept being the form of region variants we get here.

Paralititan

I doubt that we would get the past forms of the fossils here as keep in mind the fossil Pokémon went extinct millions of years ago, not just a hundred years ago.

Pokémon Legends Arceus isn’t taking place quite that far back.
I always thought Sinnoh would be a perfect region to introduce the original forms of the Fossil Pokemon.

They could easily write a side story that involves some portal to the prehistoric world opening due to the shenanigans with Dialga, Palkia and Giratina or even Arceus himself. Within the prehistoric world you could even have different segments that represent the different time periods and different regions or something like that.

I would absolutely love if something like this happens. I love the Fossil Pokemon but I dislike that they are all rock type or some horrible chimera. Plus, I would like if they got some better stats. Most of them just aren't that strong stat wise.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yes. Why would they not? Regional forms aren't things that popped up recently.

Depends on the Alolan form. Alolan Raichu is linked to pancakes the locals would cook, so their presence in Pokémon Legends: Arcues's time would depend on if those pancakes had already existed by that time. (For the record, in the real world, pancakes are among the oldest foods to still be consumed on a wide scale today, at least ones that aren't simple meats, fruits, or vegetables--ancient Egyptians ate pancakes that were almost identical to modern-day pancakes.)

Then you have stuff like Alolan Meowth/Persian and Rattata/Raticate, which diverged relatively recently by direct human action. The actions that caused their divergence would correspond roughly with the late 19th and early 20th centuries in the real world.

Orphalesion

Depends on the Alolan form. Alolan Raichu is linked to pancakes the locals would cook, so their presence in Pokémon Legends: Arcues's time would depend on if those pancakes had already existed by that time. (For the record, in the real world, pancakes are among the oldest foods to still be consumed on a wide scale today, at least ones that aren't simple meats, fruits, or vegetables--ancient Egyptians ate pancakes that were almost identical to modern-day pancakes.)

Then you have stuff like Alolan Meowth/Persian and Rattata/Raticate, which diverged relatively recently by direct human action. The actions that caused their divergence would correspond roughly with the late 19th and early 20th centuries in the real world.

Good Point!

I think Alolan Ninetales, Sandslash and Alolan Marowak could be alright for the time period, assuming those Pokemon were brought to Alola by Japanese settlers. If I don't misremember Japanese settlement of Hawaii goes back to the mid 19th century, so they could be in. They might be very recent, though, and regarded as "new Pokemon"
Persian maybe too? It's said the form was bred by the Alolan Royal family, right? So assuming Pokemon history roughly parallels our own they owuld have to come into being before Alola becomes a territory of "Poke-America", so before 1898, when Queen Lili‘uokalani/her Pokemon equivalent was deposed.

Alolan Muk is out though, I'd say.

Phillies

I always thought Sinnoh would be a perfect region to introduce the original forms of the Fossil Pokemon.

They could easily write a side story that involves some portal to the prehistoric world opening due to the shenanigans with Dialga, Palkia and Giratina or even Arceus himself. Within the prehistoric world you could even have different segments that represent the different time periods and different regions or something like that.

I would absolutely love if something like this happens. I love the Fossil Pokemon but I dislike that they are all rock type or some horrible chimera. Plus, I would like if they got some better stats. Most of them just aren't that strong stat wise.

A Jurassic Park styled island has long been on my wish list for a future pokemon game. It could feature all of the original form fossil pokemon along with an unaltered Genesect as the big boss of the island. Relicanth would also fit since it remains unchanged since prehistoric times.

KahunaLagoonaEX

I honestly don't think there will be any regional forms for this game - sounds like it's just 100% Sinnoh mons outside the starters.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I honestly don't think there will be any regional forms for this game - sounds like it's just 100% Sinnoh mons outside the starters.

The unknown silhouette ride Pokemon beg to differ. We are indeed either getting regional variants or new pokemon in this game.

KahunaLagoonaEX

The unknown silhouette ride Pokemon beg to differ. We are indeed either getting regional variants or new pokemon in this game.
I feel like those are still more generic "Oh hey, you can use this Pokemon to traverse this terrain" like how HM mons acted in pre-Gen 7 days but that they didn't want to actually create or modify new models to have that work for every mon you can use those actions with, so they just use a silhouette.

I could certainly be wrong there - but I feel like that's less new mons and more a shortcut - Every Animal in BotW outside Horses (Which were just retextures of each other) used the exact same model, and there were definitely less creatures there than say Pokemon.

Orphalesion

Yeah, honestly that's what I'm thinking as well. There won't any "Sinnohan Forms" in this, nor in the D/P remakes.
Though I think it won't just be 100% Sinnoh mons, I think it's possible that Legends of Arceus will contain Pokemon from other regions that weren't in D/P.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Then why couldn’t you catch them in the original games?
Because they were added retroactively? Regional variants take the “place” of the Pokémon’s established form but Magmar/Magneton still exist alongside their Gen 4 evolutions. Not to mention they have existed in every region past Sinnoh so they’re clearly not regional.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Because they were added retroactively? Regional variants take the “place” of the Pokémon’s established form but Magmar/Magneton still exist alongside their Gen 4 evolutions. Not to mention they have existed in every region past Sinnoh so they’re clearly not regional.

I believe PCN just means Pokemon that got evolutions in gen 4 aren't going to get a regional evolution or form because they already got special treatment by getting an evolution within gen 4's Sinnoh.

Ignition

I believe PCN just means Pokemon that got evolutions in gen 4 aren't going to get a regional evolution or form because they already got special treatment by getting an evolution within gen 4's Sinnoh.
That make more sense than implying the Gen 4 evolutions are the same as regional forms/evolutions. If that was their intention, it could’ve been conveyed in a better way

PCN24454

That make more sense than implying the Gen 4 evolutions are the same as regional forms/evolutions. If that was their intention, it could’ve been conveyed in a better way
You could actually argue that it’s a prototype for Regional Forms since it’s implied that Pokémon like Electabuzz aren’t native to the Sinnoh Region meaning that they only evolve because of things that can only happen there.

Ignition

You could actually argue that it’s a prototype for Regional Forms since it’s implied that Pokémon like Electabuzz aren’t native to the Sinnoh Region meaning that they only evolve because of things that can only happen there.
Where is that implied? And none of the evolutions have any requirements that are exclusive to Sinnoh. They were simply a continuation of the trend of introducing more Pokémon to established evolutionary lines which started in Johto/Gen 2. It’s just one of those instances of gameplay elements not lining up perfectly with lore

Orphalesion

No, you really couldn't. It's a completely different feature. Might as well say Espeon and Umbreon are "Jothonian Forms" of Eevee. Or that Bellossom is the "Johtonian Form" of Vileplume.