• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sinnoh regional variant Pokémon speculation

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
Regional variants are arguably the most favourable modern addition added to the Pokémon series, it brings new life into pre-existing Pokémon. Sun and Moon introduced the concept whilst Sword and Shield had regional variants of Pokémon gain new evolutions.

With Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl being faithful recreations of Diamond and Pearl, regional variations are very unlikely. However, Pokémon Legends Arceus does not have the same restrictions. So, let's discuss the hypothetical Sinnoh variants of pre-existing Pokémon.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Regional variants are arguably the most favourable modern addition added to the Pokémon series, it brings new life into pre-existing Pokémon. Sun and Moon introduced the concept whilst Sword and Shield had regional variants of Pokémon gain new evolutions.

With Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl being faithful recreations of Diamond and Pearl, regional variations are very unlikely. However, Pokémon Legends Arceus does not have the same restrictions. So, let's discuss the hypothetical Sinnoh variants of pre-existing Pokémon.

I think a cool concept could be like pre forms. Like sort of beta versions of pokemon that evolve into the modern day pokemon. Due to it being in the past, they can play with the concept of evolution in the real world. Like there can be pokemon that have slight or even massive differences to how they are today.

Totodi1e

The silent boy of mystery!
I did the exercise of imagining ancient forms for the Pokémon and I became surprised with the difficulty of making it.

I immediately thought of Elekid's line, with these modern era plugs and wires in it's body. But, after a while, I wondered if these elements were adaptations to human inventions, or if humans created plugs and wires after studies of this line of Pokémon. The franchise never really wanted to differentiated Pokémon like Elekid (or Bronzor, or Honedge, or Magnemite...) from the human culture, so we always come back to "chicken-and-egg" paradox.

I'll be a very interesting to see how they will handle it.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Sadly I can't see Sinnoh regional variants happening in either BD/SP or Arceus. It would be great, but I'm guessing the focus will be on the Sinnoh Pokedex as it originally was in Diamond and Pearl (or Platinum if Porygon-Z's appearance in the BD/SP trailer is anything to go by), so I can't see there being anything completely new like variants or other forms.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
I will say in the leeks prior to the direct there are 3 shadowy figures that would fit for potential Sinnohan Forme(s). There's a horned deer-like creature (potential Stantler evo?) and what looks to be an expanded version of Nuzleaf's design climbing rocks. Additionally there is a bird visible but it's tough to tell if it's the angle or the actual model.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think a couple of the regional forms will be available to use and in the Pokédex as an unlockable feature replacing the foreign language entries of DPPt. The forms that will be in the Sinnoh Dex would be Alolan Raichu, Alolan Geodude line, Galarian Ponyta line, and Galarian Mr. Mime and possibly Mr. Rime. You can’t catch or obtain them through wild encounters (at least until post game) or get them through evolution. You get them either as gifts/trades with NCPs or through transfer or trading with another trainer.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I will say in the leeks prior to the direct there are 3 shadowy figures that would fit for potential Sinnohan Forme(s). There's a horned deer-like creature (potential Stantler evo?) and what looks to be an expanded version of Nuzleaf's design climbing rocks. Additionally there is a bird visible but it's tough to tell if it's the angle or the actual model.
Pretty certain they are just there to represent the player using HMs, just like how the old Fly sprites particularly in the DS games were just a black bird or a black blob for the surf animation

amoebo

amoeboVGC
Pretty certain they are just there to represent the player using HMs, just like how the old Fly sprites particularly in the DS games were just a black bird or a black blob for the surf animation
This is in Legends which I feel confident doesn't have HM

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
This is in Legends which I feel confident doesn't have HM
It probably won’t have HMs per say but this will be the equivalent of them like Pokeride and this will be how they represent it through silhouettes like the DS games did.

ShadowForce720

It probably won’t have HMs per say but this will be the equivalent of them like Pokeride and this will be how they represent it through silhouettes like the DS games did.
We really don’t have enough information on the game to say what they are just silhouettes for sure.

Could be they just be silhouettes? Sure but it’s also possible that they aren’t just silhouettes.

Muffin Man

I think a couple of the regional forms will be available to use and in the Pokédex as an unlockable feature replacing the foreign language entries of DPPt. The forms that will be in the Sinnoh Dex would be Alolan Raichu, Alolan Geodude line, Galarian Ponyta line, and Galarian Mr. Mime and possibly Mr. Rime. You can’t catch or obtain them through wild encounters (at least until post game) or get them through evolution. You get them either as gifts/trades with NCPs or through transfer or trading with another trainer.

Would Alolan forms even exist at this point?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Yeah, island biogeography is nothing new, and remember when Darwin discovered some finches in the Galapagos Islands that had different attributes from ones that are on mainland?

Also, while not an Alolan form, Galarian Corsola was the result of a prehistoric meteorite.

Missingno.Fan

I know this would probably never happen, but it would be cool if some Pokémon have beta forms that resemble their actual real life beta forms. For example, Wooper can be quadrupedal.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
As of this time the only ones I can see getting a regional form are the Starter's evolve forms.

KurowaSan

Croissant Kamen \o/
Not really a Sinnoh regional variant, because Bronzor is already a Sinnoh Pokémon.
But in Old Sinnoh, I could see it not looking like a bronze mirror covered in patina over time, but actually shining, reflective and with a more copper-like tone.
Platinum's Pokédex even says this: "There are researchers who believe this Pokémon reflected like a mirror in the distant past."
Could be a nice little nod to this Pokédex entry and I believe it could make sense.

Luthor

It won't happen but I'd really like there to be special variants where Pokemon whose types have changed to have their original types. Like a pure Psychic Mr Mime.