• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sinnoh Side Stories Discussion Thread

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
There's no confirmation of Diamond and Pearl remakes but if were following trends and the fact that Pokemon is the most likely to remake each and every one of there games out of any video game franchise, Sinnoh would be on the money as part of the 8th generation of Pokemon games.

So as some of you know, the 4th generation is a great addition to the Pokemon series however the design choices for Sinnoh isn't exactly great and the trends of Sinnoh often hitting around the middle of fans favorite gen's list really shows it. There's a lot of long boring routes, the Pokemon variety across the region is pretty bad (one person on another forums joked how common Floatzel was), probably has the least amount of lore and adventures in each and every one of it's locations compared to other generations except for Kanto, and most of 4th gen's main story takes place in Sinnoh's natural background, not it's cities or towns. Similar to Kanto, there's actually a lot of great side story potential to fill in those blank spots!

Personally I think side-stories should be an integral feature and it would really improve the lore and adventures of the Sinnoh region, which is kind of ironic since it's theme is mytholgoy and yet it's somewhat bare-bones compared to other regions like Johto, Hoenn, or Unova. So what potential side story content can you think of for the adventures of "Dawn" and "Lucas" in the Diamond and Pearl remakes.

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Sinnoh's biggest issue was the lack of Pokémon, most of the evolutionary lines were three or two stage(which is why you always saw them throughout the region) and the overall number of regional dex members was very small(151 for DP, 200+ for Platinum). While I doubt that will change, it might be good idea to fill-in the empty mid-game with side quests with rare item rewards.

That said, I wonder more how they'll fill-in the post-game. DP had a pretty big post-game, and Platinum had an eve larger one. With the amount of Pokémon overall doubling from Gen 4, I wonder if they will still manage to fit in most of the National Dex in post-game.

shoz999

One thing in particular that Sinnoh did do well was the quest-like adventures with legendaries. One of my hopes is that they expand them into big side quest on par similar to Elder Scrolls where you get legendary weapons in return but instead, you get legendary Pokemon as your reward. For example there's a lot of potential with the whole Darkrai vs Cresselia lore. Maybe when you arrive Canalave City, you decide to investigate the mystery of a boy in deep sleep having nightmares like a detective stories. Then you find out about Darkrai and Cresselia buuuut... you have a choice to side with either Darkrai or Cresselia on the issue. Whoever you side with will decide to join up on your Pokemon adventure.

shoz999

Mega Evolution side story quests. Especially for your starter. Imagine it like this. You encounter Cyrus who manage to capture Dialga or Palkia and you challenge your legendary but, the Mega Stone for your chosen starter that you've been partnered with for the entire journey finally activates for the final battle to fight against Dialga or Palkia... or maybe even Giratina.

shoz999

You know what would be an awesome side quest? Exploring Cyrus's past, his disappointing childhood, how he learned about Palkia, Dialga and maybe Giratina, and how he formed Team Galactic. I always though Cyrus from Pokemon Adventures was a very interesting and even intimidating character whereas the Cyrus in the games is still interesting but feels like there's some missing plot points behind his motives. In the manga, Cyrus's own blank stare scares some people he meets.

WalesNote

The gym leaders having stories about them (or being more relevant to the overall story) would be nice.

I would say Darkrai and Shaymin should be in the game as post game content, rather than as event stuff.

Maybe bring back Sendoff Spring?

I loved the Old Chateau, but I suppose there isn't anything else to expand upon there.

I would honestly like a sequel to Platinum about what happened to Cyrus or something. The Pokemon Generations anime got me thinking about it, but that's a bit different from what happens in the games.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think they could expand a little bit more on the Stat Trainers. They don't really add much to the storyline, generally, so I think giving them something similar to the Kimono Girls in HG/SS could help in making them feel less like options and more like actual characters. They already were in the anime, so it'd do them a bit more justice to have that retained in the remakes.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Why are we even talking about Sinnoh remakes now? They are far into the future.

shoz999

Why are we even talking about Sinnoh remakes now? They are far into the future.
It is fun to speculate. Also it is highly probable, following GameFreak's possible new trend of releasing games in an order, that Sinnoh Remakes will come out right after the 8th generation of games. Right after that, they will release the 9th generation and 9th gen enhanced remake unless they take note of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's lower sales in comparison to previous titles. Not to mention, a Sinnoh Remake remade in HD graphics in a region that sparks a lot of similarities to Breath of the Wild's advancements could give us some ideas of what the entire 8th generation of games would be and the fact that Sinnoh is simply fun to talk about in story potential.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It is fun to speculate. Also it is highly probable, following GameFreak's possible new trend of releasing games in an order, that Sinnoh Remakes will come out right after the 8th generation of games. Right after that, they will release the 9th generation and 9th gen enhanced remake unless they take note of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's lower sales in comparison to previous titles. Not to mention, a Sinnoh Remake remade in HD graphics in a region that sparks a lot of similarities to Breath of the Wild's advancements could give us some ideas of what the entire 8th generation of games would be and the fact that Sinnoh is simply fun to talk about in story potential.
I'm not thinking that Sinnoh remakes are coming out in the near future. In fact, I don't even think that they will be for the Switch.

shoz999

I'm not thinking that Sinnoh remakes are coming out in the near future. In fact, I don't even think that they will be for the Switch.
Well then. If you think it doesn't come out for the Nintendo Switch and you keep you expectations low that it will never happen and by the time the Diamond and Pearl remakes possibly do come out for the Nintendo Switch in 2020 or 2021, will you let out a big wide smile when watching the first trailer? Besides I do believe it will happen by Gamefreak's recent trend of releases

4th generation of Games, transitioning from 3rd generation graphical style to DS hardware
Gold and Silver Remakes of the 4th generation (ignoring Platinum)
5th generation of games pushing the technical hardware of the DS to it's limits leading to new creativity
5th generation enhanced version/sequel
6th generation of games, transitioning from 5th generation's graphical artstyle to 3DS hardware
Ruby and Sapphire Remakes of the 6th generation
7th generation of games pushing the technical hardware of the 3DS to it's limits leading to new creativity.
7th generation enhanced version
8th generation of Games, transitioning from 7th generaiton's graphical artstyle to HD graphics (will probably look something like Colosseum/XD with brand new graphics)
Diamond and Pearl Remakes of the 8th generation
9th generation of games, pushing the technical hardware of the Nintendo Switch to it's limits that will lead to new creativity like 5th and 7th gen, think BIG possibilities for the 9th generation, a Pokemon game pushing the hardware of the Switch to it's limits like improved open world design, advanced graphics, more freedom-of-movement camera, vertical movement, maybe even Pokemon battles happening in the world real-time rather than transitioning to a battle area.
9th geneartion enhanced version
and etc.

This is what some of my thread discussions in the 8th generation topics are partly based on. This trend I've been seeing that GameFreak seems to have committed to. Although it's possible GameFreak will break this trend. Afterall, they've never revealed Pokemon Z version after X and Y. I assume there saving it for the remakes, Pokemon XZ and Pokemon YZ. The title sounds more marketable to audiences than any other title I've heard. Life X? Death Y? Sounds kind of a mismatch in my opinion. Also there's the matter of the Black and White remakes. They came out on the same console as Diamond and Pearl so it's quite possible GameFreak might break trends and include them earlier as possible as the 8th generation instead of the 10th generation.

On the plus side. If I'm right about the patterns that GameFreak has been showing. That means we get FOUR POKEMON MAIN SERIES SWITCH GAMES (8th gen, Diamond and Pearl Remakes, 9th gen, 9th gen enhanced)! Outside of Let's Go.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Well then. If you think it doesn't come out for the Nintendo Switch and you keep you expectations low that it will never happen and by the time the Diamond and Pearl remakes possibly do come out for the Nintendo Switch in 2020 or 2021, will you let out a big wide smile when watching the first trailer? Besides I do believe it will happen by Gamefreak's recent trend of releases

4th generation of Games, transitioning from 3rd generation graphical style to DS hardware
Gold and Silver Remakes of the 4th generation (ignoring Platinum)
5th generation of games pushing the technical hardware of the DS to it's limits leading to new creativity
5th generation enhanced version/sequel
6th generation of games, transitioning from 5th generation's graphical artstyle to 3DS hardware
Ruby and Sapphire Remakes of the 6th generation
7th generation of games pushing the technical hardware of the 3DS to it's limits leading to new creativity.
7th generation enhanced version
8th generation of Games, transitioning from 7th generaiton's graphical artstyle to HD graphics (will probably look something like Colosseum/XD with brand new graphics)
Diamond and Pearl Remakes of the 8th generation
9th generation of games, pushing the technical hardware of the Nintendo Switch to it's limits that will lead to new creativity like 5th and 7th gen, think BIG possibilities for the 9th generation, a Pokemon game pushing the hardware of the Switch to it's limits like improved open world design, advanced graphics, more freedom-of-movement camera, vertical movement, maybe even Pokemon battles happening in the world real-time rather than transitioning to a battle area.
9th geneartion enhanced version
and etc.

This is what some of my thread discussions in the 8th generation topics are partly based on. This trend I've been seeing that GameFreak seems to have committed to. Although it's possible GameFreak will break this trend. Afterall, they've never revealed Pokemon Z version after X and Y. I assume there saving it for the remakes, Pokemon XZ and Pokemon YZ. The title sounds more marketable to audiences than any other title I've heard. Life X? Death Y? Sounds kind of a mismatch in my opinion. Also there's the matter of the Black and White remakes. They came out on the same console as Diamond and Pearl so it's quite possible GameFreak might break trends and include them earlier as possible as the 8th generation instead of the 10th generation.

On the plus side. If I'm right about the patterns that GameFreak has been showing. That means we get FOUR POKEMON MAIN SERIES SWITCH GAMES (8th gen, Diamond and Pearl Remakes, 9th gen, 9th gen enhanced)! Outside of Let's Go.
Patterns don't mean anything. They can easily be broken.

shoz999

Patterns don't mean anything. They can easily be broken.
Not exactly. It gives us the probability of chance, the likeliness of it will happen and since remakes have had a much stronger and accurate pattern and higher sales than enhanced remakes, there's a really really high chance of it to be expected in the 8th generation of Pokemon games. Not to mention the subtle hints GameFreak has been giving out in the last movie, TCG, merchandise etc. For me though, I am absolutely sure it will happen and this is one of, if not the most, likely trend that GameFreak will NEVER break. Actually, I'd described this more of a Pokemon tradition than a trend.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not exactly. It gives us the probability of chance, the likeliness of it will happen and since remakes have had a much stronger and accurate pattern and higher sales than enhanced remakes, there's a really really high chance of it to be expected in the 8th generation of Pokemon games. Not to mention the subtle hints GameFreak has been giving out in the last movie, TCG, merchandise etc. For me though, I am absolutely sure it will happen and this is one of, if not the most, likely trend that GameFreak will NEVER break.
It would be too soon with LGPE being quite recent. I have a suspicion that Let's Go is completely replacing remakes.

shoz999

It would be too soon with LGPE being quite recent. I have a suspicion that Let's Go is completely replacing remakes.
Oh. Well now that you brought that up. That is a possibility as further Let's Go Sequels could interfere with remakes but will have to wait and see considering... GameFreak's odd relationship with anything that isn't part of the core series no matter how successful it is. Let me just say there is a higher chance will see four Pokemon core switch games than we will see a sequel to the successful Pokken Tournament or even Let's Go, a main series title that isn't a core game.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't think that we are getting Sinnoh remakes, and I don't want them either.

BCVM22

I don't think that we are getting Sinnoh remakes, and I don't want them either.

LGPE is too new. Also, there's not a lot of demand for Sinnoh remakes.

This is silly. Both of these. Among other issues, how are you claiming to measure "demand" to the point of being able to claim there isn't a lot of it?

Both of the following are true:

- Sinnoh remakes are probably coming at some undefined and undetermined point in the middle future - a good 2-3 years away, at minimum.
- It is ridiculously premature to be discussing them on any level.