• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sinnoh Stories - The Legend of Volkner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Scott

SINNOH STORIES
THE LEGEND OF VOLKNER

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Oh, the woe of my writer's block! I sit there wallowing in self-pity on how bad it is, and then I sit down one night and try to get some writing in before bed and squeeze in two and a half pages – a thousand words.

God, I love writing.

Anyways, in this chapter we focus on Volkner's battle against the Eterna Gym! A new member will join the group!​

[[Chapter 5: Fight!]]
Within the next few minutes, Volkner had reached the gym. It stood way above all the other buildings in the city, obviously containing multiple floors: which, from the windows dotting its blue and brown painted surface, he could tell where filled to the brim with plant life.

With a smile on his face, and two Pokemon fully healed and ready for battle, Volkner stepped in.

The inside was just as wild as he could see from the windows. Surrounding him were the bases of many different plants, some even living – a few small Ivysaur gathered around in a huddle, huge Sunflora scattered throughout the grassy terrain, and even some Victreebel lazing around.

A mechanical starly (or so Volkner assumed it was called, as he had never seen such a thing before, because of the sticker on its forehead that read “MechStarly”) approahced him, flapping its wings with a dull creaking sound.

CHALLENGER OR VISITOR?” the creature said in its firm authoritative voice.

“... Challenger,” Volkner responded, a bit creeped out.

UNDERSTOOD. INFORMING LEADER FLORENCE.

Inside the gym, two people were conversing, looks of slight boredom on their faces. Both females, and the only ones inside the gym, the two had quickly come to be acquaintances, then eventually best friends.

Gardenia had always loved Lily for her wonderful sense of compassion and her skill in battling. An art to native Eterna City residents, battling was one of the few things doable in their quiet little place other than relax at the condos or go south to Cycling Road. But Gardenia had always had a passion for it, and she pretty much assumed she always would.

Lily Florence had told her once that she considered Gardenia to be a lot like herself. To the girl, a gym trainer in her gym, this had been more enjoyable than any other praise she had received in her life. She loved it, having basked in the glory of the statement ever since.

Lily was a bit annoyed by it, she could tell, but would put up with it. After all, she was soon to retire at the ripe old age of sixty-eight, and had told everyone – not just Gardenia – that when that happened, Gardenia was to be her replacement.

“So,” Lily said. “You lead two innocent trainers out of the path which they wanted to travel?”

“Yes'm, but they said they didn't know about the Old Chateau-” Gardenia tried to counter argue.

“I'm sure they didn't. But you should let them find out for themselves, don't you think?” she said sternly. “I understand that you wanted to be a good samaritan, but you should know by now that part of the life of a trainer is learning things through experience. Don't let your superstitious self counter your logical self again, Gardenia. It can be amazingly costly.”

“... Okay. Understood, m'lady.” Gardenia mumbled in defeat.

“Glad to h-”

CHALLENGER FOR LEADER FLORENCE, CHALLENGER FOR LEADER FLORENCE. NAME: VOLKNER DENZI.” the MechStarly suddenly swooped in screeching. As it did so, it opened its mouth to reveal a video screen, which showed an oddly familiar face to Gardenia waiting in the lobby.

“Tell him to come on in then, Mechie. Good job.” Lily responded, nodding and saluting.

The MechStarly, “Mechie”, swooped out and toward the lobby.

Gardenia couldn't help but grin a bit.

“Ya'know, Lily,” Gardenia said. “He was one of them trainers.”

“Who you 'helped' earlier?” Lily said, a bit surprised as evident by a rise in her voice.

“Yep. I told 'em I was a trainer here... he was the more eager lookin' one.” she responded.

“Well, then. I suppose we're gonna get to see some battling, then!”

Volkner tapped his foot against the dirt that served as a floor in this de-modernized gym, losing his patience at a rate that was rapidly increasing. Finally, he saw MechStarly swoop in, and caw its given commands.

CHALLENGER VOLKNER DENZI FOR LEADER LILLITH FLORENCE HAS BEEN APPROVED. PLEASE FOLLOW MECHSTARLY UNIT IN TO THE MAIN ARENA.

“Finally,” Volkner muttered, and walked off with the mechanical unit as it creaked off into the arched entryway of the gym.

He stepped inside to an even more colossal building than he had expected. Trees were the prominent plants, though some bushes and definitely a lot of grass dotted the surface of the “main arena” – this was it, apparently, as evidenced by the fact that MechStarly stopped and turned to Volkner.

It said, “DOES CHALLENGER NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE? MECHSTARLY CAN PROVIDE SELF AS PSEUDO-POKEDEX, A TOUR GUIDE, NOTEPAD (WILL DISPLAY INFORMATION ON ORAL-SCREEN AS NOT TO GIVE AWAY POTENTIAL STRATEGY), OR CHEF.

“... Chef?” Volkner thought, but responded with a simple, “Sure, I suppose..”

It couldn't hurt, right?

“This is my first time in a gym,” Volkner said. “So I guess I'd like some tour-guide information.”

Right this way then, good sir!” the mechanical bird suddenly said in an accent one would expect only of an overly-hyped businessman off of a television commercial. It startled Volkner, causing him to shudder in surprise. “Here in our fine ETERNA CITY gym,” the last part it spoke being mechanical, dronelike as it had been just seconds before. It then switched back to its suave tone. “We harbor the finest of GRASS-type trainers in the world! No other gym in the region of SINNOH compares to our own! On your LEFT you will see THE ARENA. To your north, OUR GARDEN. CONTAINS STAIRS TO UPPER GARDEN FLOORS. POKEMON ARE KEPT THERE. GRASS-TYPES.

“Okay, okay, enough with the Tour-Guide information!” Volkner screamed. “Thanks... ****in' stupid machine...”

“Hey, try 'n keep yer language down some, Mister Denzi,” a familiar voice said.

Volkner looked to the arena to see a familiar face to accompany the familiar voice. He recognized it immediately to be the face of... hell, like he could remember her name. He just knew she was a total hick from the sound of her accent, and that she had told him she was a gym trainer here.

He then realized he had come to the gym for the opportunity for fighting her more than the actual leader.

And so it would be.

“Quiet, girl-” he tried to start off, but found himself cut off.

“Hey, hey, don't be rude, dude! Call her by her name if you know her,” a man said from looking over the side of the arena. “You DO know it, right?”

“'ey, Jackie, let's calm down some. Mister Denzi, name's Gardenia in case you'd done forgot. Glad 'ta see ya here,” she said, offering a quick wave.

“... Right, right, sorry, I have a crappy memory. Anyway, how do things work around here?”

Well, first of all-”

“QUIET YOU ****ING BIRDBRAINED MACHINE,” Volkner turned and yelped, causing the machine to back away almost as if on its own conscience. “... Now, I'd like to hear it from a human mouth please.”

Leader Florence leaned into Gardenia and whispered something, and Volkner could faintly make out the word “temper” before the message was finished.

“Well, first of all-”

“QUI- oh, it's you...”

“... Ah-hem, first of all, what do ya know 'bout gyms, Mister Denzi?” Gardenia asked.

“Absolutely nothing,” Volkner responded. “This is my first time in one.”

“Okey dokey, then. Let's hear it from the horse's mouth then, eh, Lily?” Gardenia said.

“... Beautiful young lady's mouth, thank you very much,” Lily sputtered. “And a Pokemon Gym is a place where trainers test their battling skills in … well, battles. You fight through at least two gym trainers, though there can be more – there are four, here – and then the leader themselves. Which is me, by the way.”

“.. Got'cha. Are there rests between battles?”

“If you'd like. No longer than ten minutes though.”

“Then let's get this started.”

“Got'cha,” Lily said with a grin.

Volkner stepped up to the arena and took a stance at the south end, contemplating his first Pokemon. He only had two options, and in all honesty this would be his first real battle. He had no idea what moves his Pokemon had, and he had no idea what their strength levels were.

Then it hit him.

“Hey, birdbrain!” Volkner suddenly yelled. “I need a pseudo-Pokedex!”

YES SIR. POKEMON INFORMATION WANTED?” MechStarly cawed as it swooped down next to him.

“Elekid. Show me all data.”

Elekid: Electric Pokemon. It is the pre-evolved form of Electabuzz. It generates electricity by spinning its arms. It gains strength in thunderstorms. Its weak spot is in between its horns, but the electric current generated there can buzz an unwary foe.

“Be quieter. Moves?”

Your Elekid currently knows how to perform the following attacks: Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Thundershock, Swift, Quick Attack, Leer, Low Kick, Rolling Kick, Headbutt.

“Okay, thanks. Now stay close but be quiet. Go, Elekid!”

Volkner turned his head to the side and tossed his arm forward like throwing a baseball, a flash of white light bolting forward from the ball in his hand, materializing onto the floor into the shape of his Pokemon Elekid. The two-prong headed electrical creature clashed its fists together excitedly, though it was probable he didn't know where he was. But he supposed it was just a violent little Pokemon. And that was good. It was a Pokemon's purpose.

To fight.

“Now who'm I fighting first?” Volkner asked.

“That'd be me,” the man from earlier said. “Name's Jack.”

Two fights later and Volkner was about ready to quit. He had fought through Jack's one-man team with relative ease, as all he had was some weak Pokemon called Budew. The next person, however, had a tougher team of an Ivysaur and an Eevee, two very tough battlers compared to his Elekid.

His next opponent, he suddenly realized, would probably be even tougher.

“Gardenia is up next!” Lily cried out and pointed forward.

Gardenia stepped forward, a smirk on her face.

Volkner smirked too.

“Still keeping your Elekid out, eh?” she asked.

“Yep. Let's hurry and get this over with so I can get to the leader...” Volkner responded.

“Eager, ain't we?” she teased. “Fine, fine. Let's go, Roselia!”

Another flash of light later, a small, fat little grass-type Pokemon materialized on the floor. Where its arms would normally be it donned two roses. A sensual, sly look rested on its light green face.

“Elekid, Ice Punch!” Volkner yelled, running forward with the battle as quickly as he could. He wanted to get it done and get it done fast, and Gardenia seemed more than willing to comply with it.

Elekid dashed forward, raising one of his black-striped arms and focusing an energy from his claws over his hand to encase it in ice. He swiped it in front of Roselia and hit it, but only brushing it before it jumped back, a bit of ice freezing onto its chest but falling off seconds later.

Roselia shuddered, but recovered quick enough for it to dash forward in its retaliation.

“Shake it off, girl!” Gardenia yelled. “Magical Leaf!”

Roselia nodded and leaped into the air, spreading her rose arms apart and spewing forth several leaves from them, each one glowing in its own unique color. A truly beautiful sight to some, but to Volkner it meant possible defeat, and he cried out for Elekid to dodge.

But to no avail. The leaves were apparently homing, each one slapping onto Elekid and releasing its slight energy. Alone they were nothing, but the continued pulsations of magic forced inside him caused Elekid to take some serious damage already. A few lacerations dotted Elekid's skin, leaving him bleeding a bit.

“Retaliate quickly! Swift!” Volkner demanded.

Elekid opened his mouth and let loose a barrage of star-shaped rays. They fired forward with such speed that Roselia had no time to avoid them – like the leaves, but star-shaped, they lacerated the grass-like skin of Roselia in multiple places, these spots dribbling a purple oozing blood.

“Roselia, Leech Seed!” Gardenia cried out, pointing at Elekid. Roselia nodded quickly, a signature Volkner now realized to show her obedience to commands, and spit out a variety of seeds to surround Elekid. In that instant, Elekid jumped up and to the side, avoiding the second after that the seeds sprouted leaves, now laying limp and useless on the ground.

“... Good, you avoided it,” Volkner muttered in relief. “Thunder Punch!”

Elekid quickly ran toward Roselia, leaping over the leaves of the Leech Seed and into the air, cocking back its fist. It whirled its arm around and formed a bit of electricity which surrounded its fist in a ball, which then collided with Roselia. Roselia shrieked... and Gardenia was smiling.

Elekid then jumped back and held its fist with the other. Volkner realized it was bleeding, and Elekid was shuddering with pain.

“Roselia's ability,” Gardenia said. “It's called Poison Point. When yer Pokemon attacks physically, it has a chance'a bein' poisoned if some of Roselia's thorns. Yer Pokemon's gonna be losin' health 'n quick.”

Volkner grimaced. “Birdbrain, over here! Start a display of Elekid's health!”

MechStarly came closer and opened its mouth, displaying a red bar of health with about half of if white. A purple box rested next to it with the abbreviation “PSN”, which Volkner assumed to be a contraction of poison.

“... Gah! Swift again!” Volkner yelled.

Elekid opened its mouth and shot another ray of stars, each hitting Roselia with lacerating force. The two were close in health levels already; he had no way of knowing for sure, but the heaving chest of Roselia gave him a good clue. It was also obvious this would be the last part of the gym battle that Elekid could participate in, it was just a question of whether or not an attack or poison would knock him out first.

“Roselia, Mega Drain!” Gardenia commanded, and once more Roselia nodded, swiping her left red rose against Elekid.

A fist was raised up in retaliation. Weakly, Elekid leaped to his feet and threw Roselia up into the air and then jumped up further, turned on his side and began to turn his body as he fell. A Rolling Kick attack, Volkner deduced, as the repeated beating of feet against Roselia finally knocked her out. But in the process, Elekid fell to the ground with a thud, unconscious and shuddering.

Both participants returned their Pokemon, and sent out their next.

“Tangela, go!” Gardenia yelled.

“Chuseph, let's fight!” Volkner said.

Suddenly, Gardenia burst into raucous laughter.

“CHUSEPH?!” Gardenia howled, her hands over her stomach, doubling over. “Oh... oh god... oh god I'm sorry...”

“... It's my mother's Pokemon. She named it,” Volkner muttered in response, his cheeks flushed red.

“No, no, it's okay... let's fight... haha.. oh god... priceless...”

“Quiet again, Birdbrain,” Volkner said. “But tell me Chuseph's info.”

Pichu: The Tiny Mouse Pokemon. The pre-evolved form of Pichu. Despite their size, Pichu can release surprisingly powerful bursts of electricity, enough to even mentally shock themselves as they did not know they had the power. Pichu, like all electric Pokemon, can charge themselves easier in the presence of Thunderclouds. Can be very babylike.

“Moves?” Volkner asked.

Pichu knows the moves: Thundershock, Charm, Tail Whip, Thunderwave, Sweet Kiss, Nasty Plot, Volt Tackle.

Volkner suddenly blinked.

“Volt Tackle?” he asked.

Volt Tackle is a move exclusive to the Pikachu family. The user surrounds-"

“I've heard of it before, Birdbrain! But... why would Chuseph have something bred solely for battle?”

ERROR, QUESTION ASKED WITHOUT PROGRAMMED RESPONSE. PLEASE ASK PROGRAMMED QUESTION.

“... Bleh,” Volkner muttered. “May as well take advantage of it. Thunderwave, Chuseph!”

Chuseph scurried toward the mass of blue vines, and slapped it quickly with an electrified paw. A jolt of electricity from the paw suddenly caused Tangela to shudder, and soon it tried to move, only to prove extremely slow around its feet. It lashed out vines at normal speeds though, apparently not effected around there.

“Tangela, Vine Whip!” Gardenia ordered, and Tangela obeyed as best it could. The Pokemon lashed out a single vine as long as it could manage and wrapped it around Chuseph's arm, lifting him up and slamming him into the ground.

Chuseph cried out in pain, but struggled up.

“Volt Tackle, Chuseph!” Volkner yelled, and suddenly Chuseph scuttled forward, a massive aura of electricity in proportion to his tiny little body, and slammed into Tangela.

Both Pokemon lay there in silence for a couple of moments. Suddenly, Tangela struggled up to its feet, and Chuseph followed shortly after. His face was obviously strained.

His arm was displaced in a strange, unnatural way, and Volkner tried to offer another command – but he was interrupted.

“Yer Pokemon's arm is broke. Surrender and go heal it,” Gardenia said.

“No! He can still fight-”

“Still fight?! Yeh, sure, but he'd be in pain!” Gardenia retorted, a fierceness in her voice.

“Who cares?!” Volkner found himself screaming at that point. “It's just a Pokemon-”

“Just a Pokemon?!” Gardenia roared. “Pokemon are living, breathing creatures like you 'n' me!”

“MURDERING CREATURES! WHO THE HE-”

“QUIET DOWN, BOTH OF YOU!” Lily cried out, and the room went silent.

Gardenia stood there seething.

Volkner stood there shaking, holding back tears.

Lily stepped in between the two. She held her hands out.

“Volkner Denzi! You are to go heal your Pokemon, or I will call the Eterna Police Department in charges for cruelty! The battle is OFF!”

“Who's there?!” Cyrus cried out into the darkness of the room. “I know I heard something!”

He heard no response, but a mist covered the room. Cyrus stepped back and put a hand onto a Pokeball, tossing it forward, as a pink creature stepped forward. A flash of white light did not come forth, as if light denied an existence in this room.

“Golbat, let's fight this thing!”

... I … am … so … lonely ...

Exactly an hour later, Volkner Denzi was convinced to go into the Pokecenter, stubbornly arguing against healing a Pokemon that could fight anyway. It took Lily walking to a phone and speaking to the officers about a situation in their gym – when Volkner agreed, she said a Gym Trainer had solved it, thanked the police and hung up.

Gardenia of Eterna Gym followed him, a hand firmly placed on his shoulder, looming over him like an angry Salamence. Which she pretty much was, without the blue skin and wings.

She turned to him and in front of the cute nurse, who scowled at him because of the time she realized it had taken, she slapped him across the cheek. “Don't you EVER think thoughts like that again! I thought you done made yerself seem like a decent person! A lil' foulmouthed, sure, but like this... I just... ugh!”

She dragged him off toward the gym again, and Volkner couldn't break free of her grasp.

The two stared Lily Florence in the face now, and Volkner was about ready to leave.

“Volkner Denzi,” Lily said. “Do you want to be a great Pokemon trainer?”

It was, admittedly, part of his reason for traveling. Of course he wanted to find out about Mana, to find out why he was placed here, but he also wanted to go on his journey – the last time he had seen his mother had been because of an argument against her about doing it.

“Yes,” Volkner said. “And for that, I'll get some strong Pokemon – not weak little things like Chuseph.”

“What the hell? Your Pokemon nearly beat Gardenia's Tangela-”

“Nearly isn't enough!” Volkner said defiantly.

“QUIET!” Lily roared. “You'll learn to do things right! Pokemon are living creatures that need to be treated with love and compassion! You'll be a teaching tool for this gym. You will travel with Gardenia and help her learn, as it IS obvious you have some skill. But you'll never get better than her, and definitely no better than me, if you don't learn the basics of friendship!”

“And what makes you think I have to do this?” Volkner questioned.

“I'll call the police on you again, and this time I WON'T lie.”

“... Gah, fine,” Volkner muttered.

“Good. Now, Gardenia, have Volkner here escort you to your condominium. Pack quickly and you two will leave to the south tonight. I'll give you money for bikes on cycling road-”

“I have another partner,” Volkner said. “He should be at the Pokecenter. We have money. A lot of it.”

“Oh? And where'd you get that from?” Lily questioned, obviously a bit curious to see if he wasn't trying to get away.

“Ked Abel, Director of the Valley Windworks.”

“You mean...”

“We tried to save it.”

“So, jackass does have some morals,” Lily muttered. A bit of a mouth for an old lady, Volkner thought.

“Alright, fine. Get your stuff packed Gardenia, and you'll travel with him and his partner. Help him learn.”

Gardenia nodded dutifully, and turned around, tugging Volkner behind her. “Goodbye, Lily! I'll see ya!”

“Good luck and godspeed, Gardenia. Reform Mister Denzi swiftly.”

The two, Gardenia now fully packed, searched around the Pokemon Center for Cyrus. It was then Volkner came to the realization he had been left behind while Cyrus searched their original destination.

“... He's in the Old Chateau,” Volkner muttered.

“WHATTTT?!” Gardenia screeched in terror, but Volkner ignored her. This time he would be the one to lead this duo, and go explore with Cyrus and inform him of the situation.

“... That *******, leaving without me!”

Well, another chapter comes along swifter than I thought! Enjoy! Next chapter..

Ghost Trainer! Cyrus sparks a fire in his eyes!

And

Off through Cycling Road! Volkner takes a tumble!

D. Scott

SINNOH STORIES
THE LEGEND OF VOLKNER

Author's Notes: In this chapter, we finally get onto a more crucial element to the story! Yay! I also need to stop changing my plans so much... either that or stop the "next chapter!" thing- in fact, I think I'll do that...

[[Chapter 6: Freefall]]

“I'm certain he's okay,” Volkner said. “If you're being that much of a coward, just stand outside!”

“B-but...” Gardenia countered weakly. “I-I j-juh-just finished promising Lily I'd stay with ya at all t-tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh-tuh-”

“Times?” Volkner asked.

“... Yeh,” Gardenia muttered.

“Then do just that and man up! The Old Chateau is NOT haunted – there's no such thing!” he shouted.

“... Fine!” Gardenia said, and the two stepped into the gate, treading through grass that seemed a little too heavily trimmed for this place to be as abandoned as Gardenia said it was.

“Do they send people here to keep up this place?” Volkner asked.

“No,” she said. “The grass just... mysteriously disappears...”

“... So, in other words, some good samaratin just pops in and trims the grass.” Volkner muttered.

The door of the place, a very large wooden one painted a light shade of purple, already hung open. Grateful to not have to go through the effort Volkner guessed it would take to try and push it open, he took advantage of it and slipped through, the lightly trembling Gardenia following right after him.

The inside of the Old Chateau admittedly gave off a sort of eerie atmosphere, Volkner had to admit. But to be haunted? He scoffed at the thought. The only residents in this place were ghosts – but they weren't the type Gardenia was so afraid of. They were Gastly, ghost type Pokemon that loved dark damp places like this.

“So how many rooms in this place?” Volkner asked. “We should probably split-”

“NO WAY IN HELL, DENZI!” Gardenia bellowed.

“... Right.”

So the two began to explore each individual room. The entire place was old and decaying quickly, wallpaper peeling off the walls, creaking floorboards and some holes in the floor on both the upper and lower levels, dirt visible in the holes of the lower.

But when all rooms but the master bedroom of the upper north had been searched, the two deduced that it was where their objective was; if he was there at all.

They went there, and for a couple of moments, saw nothing but darkness. But their source of illumination in the nighttime-induced darkness, the Flash Attack of Gardenia's Roselia, kicked in quickly and they were greeted by an odd mist.

The mist parted as they stepped inside; and Volkner's ears were met by the sound of a shriek. Gardenia's, he realized. The door behind them had shut on its own and the light of Roselia's Flash seemed to have disappeared.
“Roselia, use Flash!” Volkner ordered. He understood by now that Gardenia was too frightened to speak, as she whimpered behind him.

Roselia's arms flailed uselessly as she tried to produce light. Things were suddenly taking a turn for the worse, but Volkner found himself calm and collect, as if the presence in the room would not harm him and he knew it all too well.

“Cyrus! Are you in here?”

“... have you come for my friend?” a voice crooned in the darkness.

“Cyrus? He's my friend!” Volkner responded. “Give him back, whoever you are!”

“... you can join him if you'd like.” the voice said.

“We want him back!”

A thud behind him. Gardenia had fainted. He felt her hand slip off his shoulder and jerk against his foot.

He was alone in the room with a spirit who simply oozed malice.

Oh, there was the fear.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jasmine Mikan nodded quietly and submissively to the man in front of her, trying to shorten the conversation as much as possible. It wasn't that she didn't want to converse – it was just that long winded conversation all short of wrecked her nerves to the point of weeping, at least with strangers. With family and people she had managed to befriend it was different. But her family and friends were back in Olivine City, while she was in the mysterious land of Sinnoh.

The man had stopped her on the side of the streets of Veilstone City to ask for directions to the nearest hotel. She had told him that she was heading there herself, so he should simply follow her. The old man had asked if that was okay, and she nodded – after all, an old man just asking for directions couldn't be dangerous, right?

The two began to walk the streets of Veilstone, Jasmine feeling a bit groggy. She had spent most of the day after lunch taking a bus-ride from Pastoria City to the edges of Veilstone. She was a bit disappointed that she couldn't just get a ride there, but the construction of some new building had left the bus incapable of passing, so she had simply gotten off there and began to walk.

Suddenly, she felt a hand on the back of her head, and swiveled around to check out the source. The old man stood there, skidding to a stop behind her, his hands in the pockets of his khaki pants.

“Is there something wrong, Miss?” he asked.

“I could have s-sworn... oh, nevermind...”

So the two continued to walk, and eventually the feeling persisted. She had figured it to be the wind the first time, but now she was suspicious of the feeling of flesh touching her scalp. She was about to whirl around and check out the old man again, but this time she felt something cold and steel press against her throat.

“... Heh. Stupid *****. Didn't your mommy ever teach you not to go out alone at dark?” he asked, his mouth pressed against her ear. She could smell the stench of his breath from this close and it was revolting.

“... D-don't d-duh-do anything you're gonna regret, sir...” Jasmine stuttered.

“Oh, trust me, you look like a fine piece of work. Like hell I'll regret it,” he said.

It was then that Jasmine brought her foot backward and let it collide firmly with the crotch of her attacker. His grip on her went loose and the knife went across her throat but only slightly. There was barely enough strength in it to make a laceration.

Jasmine whirled around and pressed her hand to the inside of her jacket, opening up one of the balls in there. She was gambling that it was the right one, as the wrong one could be defeated much easier than the right one. A flash of light lit up the night and soon lights in the homes around began to flicker on as a deafening roar filled the area.

The attacking man, once he recovered from his pain, looked up to see a huge pair of eyes staring right at him. A living chain of rocks about the width of the street and a few blocks of length stared him in the eyes, and it was then that he scrambled to a standing position, turned around and ran for the hills.

“... T-thank you, Ony,” Jasmine said. She reached up and run a finger across her neck to feel out the damage. A crimson streaked finger told her it was a wound, definitely, but the blood was already drying. It would be a simple few days before it healed up. She returned Ony the Onix and landed on the ground with a slight thud, something skillful for a twelve year old girl such as herself, and looked around to see awestruck people out of their houses. One was on the phone. From the words “officer” in her conversation, she could tell it was with the police.

Jasmine walked up to her and bowed her head. “M-ma'am, may I please use your restroom to clean myself up a bit?”

“... Hold on officer,” the woman said. “... Yeah. But what happened?”

“A man tried to attack me,” she said.

“Oh, you poor thing... would you like a lodge for the night? I'm sure my kids wouldn't mind sleeping together for a night so you can have a bed.”

“No thank you, ma'am. I'll just go to the hotel...”

“I insist! You aren't older than, what, thirteen, fourteen?”

“Twelve, ma'am. And I suppose it'd be a good money saver... but I'll sleep on the couch.”

The woman nodded. “Okay. Just come on in off the streets.”

What a nice lady... Jasmine thought.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Volkner...” a familiar voice sputtered, weakness evident in him. “... Gastly. Clefable. Ghost. GHOST.”

Volkner looked around to try and find where Cyrus's voice was coming from but to no avail. Instead, he only saw a pair of glowing red eyes at the dead center of the mist.

What was it Gardenia had said?
Oh, right. Spirits typically tend to be bound to the room that you see them in. If you want to flee from one, get out of the house first – but if that's impossible, get out of the room. Ha. Too late for that now.

“Let's go, Elekid! Thundershock where the eyes are!”

He tossed a ball forward, and a strange occurrence met his eyes: the usual flash of light that happened with a Pokeball's release mechanism being triggered did not happen for longer than a split second. Something had sucked away the light.

Elekid remained silent for a few moments, leaving Volkner's heart thudding. He then realized it was just him getting his eyes used to the darkness as after a moment he heard a faint, “Ele, ele, ele...” and a buzzing sound like a generator. Then a louder, “KID!” as a jolt of electricity fired forward, snapping against the floorboards and momentarily illuminating the room ever-so-slightly. In that instant, Cyrus became visible.

He was in a heap at the feet of a man. The man was about five feet tall on the dot with a bald spot in the center of his head, two tufts of graying hair extending. He wore a suit and his skin was deadly pale. On his left floated a mist ball, likely the source of the darkness-forming mist, called Gastly. On his right was a cute pink creature, but its eyes were a bleak red. A Clefable.

The man looked like a butler, Volkner told himself. The ghost of a butler.

He was indeed a spirit. The Old Chateau was haunted and he could deny it no longer. He should have ****ing listened to Gardenia's warnings, but no, his logical mind didn't allow the idea of ghosts when he was a victim of ****ing supernatural events. What a dumb *** he was, and he was about to die for it, he felt like.

He broke down.

“God damn it, god damn it, god damn it, god DAMN it!” he roared. “Elekid! Thunder Punch the Clefable! Beat its face in!”

Elekid complied the best it could. But that wasn't enough. His attacks passed right through the Clefable. It to was a spirit, apparently.

“Damn it, damn it, d-duh-damn it...” the fight was draining out of Volkner at a quickening pace. He had no ideas on how to get things to work on an invulnerable enemy, he was alone, and he was panicking. He was about to die.

“... I w-wanna go home ...”

By this time, tears were streaming down.

“I don't want to do anyone any favors! I don't want to train, I don't want to remember Ivan's death, I don't want to travel, I JUST WANNA GO HOME! JUST LET ME GO HOME, PLEASE!” he sobbed.

He lifted up a fist and smashed it through the ground. He heard an innocent giggle in the background of his mind and a demonic rumbling laughter through his ears, but he blocked out both as an idea hit his head like a wrecking ball colliding with his skull.

He sent out Chuseph, and called for Elekid, whispering a plan to them. He got to his feet and ran toward the ghost while the critters executed his plan.

He took a swipe at the ghost, gasping for breath as a cold sensation rushed over his arm. It went numb in an instant.

“CHUUU!”

Chuseph was darting around from corner to corner of the room, an electric aura surrounding him, dim in the darkness-forming gas.

“KIDDD!” Elekid was leaping around, punching holes in the floor, more and more light starting to pour through for short instances.

Volkner jumped back, his movement causing the floor to creak with strain. He then ran forth and swiped once again, his other arm getting that chilling numbness. He wished the plan would hurry up and work.

He kicked. His leg went numb and he stumbled backward, narrowly avoiding Chuseph as he darted to another corner. He stood there for a second, face to face with the ghost, before thrusting his face forward toward the head of the thing. A demonic rumbling laughter occurred once again, and his entire body went numb. He flipped over on his side and hit the floor. He wasn't unconscious, but the agonizing pain that rushed through his body made him wish he were.

Then the plan began.

Elekid quickly began to run for Volkner and pressed his claw against his ball, returning himself. Chuseph was supposed to do the same thing, but he instead merely leaped up onto the doorknob of the room. He was glowing, for some reason.

… nothing but a tool for fighting …
Volkner thought. … he's gonna abandon us. ha. Should have expected it.

The floor was falling apart. The plan had been to damage the floor to the point where it collapsed, and it was working quite well. How anyone was going to leave that sight without a body bag he couldn't help but wonder, but it was better than dying by ghost.

Chuspeh jumped off the doorknob then, in a totally different form.

He was now bigger, almost twice his previous size. His ears had lengthened and developed better. His cheekspots were a bit larger and a deeper red. His body no longer had a black stripe around it, instead pure yellow. His tail was jagged like a thunderbolt.

He had evolved into a Pikachu. Along with Gardenia's Roselia, he watched for the short few seconds before they hit the floor beneath as the two worked together to slice and burn away the wood that was supposed to either crush or impale all of them.

“ … thank … you … “

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Author's Notes: Heck yeah. Crankin' out chapters, eh? Just sat down for five hours to write this and enjoyed the hell out of it. Hope you liked it as much as I liked writing it.

Last edited:

D. Scott

SINNOH STORIES
THE LEGEND OF VOLKNER

Author's Notes: In this chapter, we realize just how creative I am with surnames! [Formula = English Name + Japanese Name = Full name. Algebraic genius, si?]

Oh, and we also get to see Volkner get hurt more! Yay!​

[[Chapter 7: Hearthome Scramble]]

It was a unique smell, Volkner thought as he lay awake in his bed. The smell of hospitals, a clean and fresh scent always having that underlying stench of rot and sickness. He had no idea how he had gotten to a hospital, but he knew he was really tired of having to be in one. This was about his third time this month.

His daredevil antics really needed to stop.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Cyrus Akagi peeled open his eyes slowly at first, but opened them wide quickly when he realized just where he was. He hated these places, hospitals, and only went to one when he deemed it necessary – to visit Volkner in Floaroma, or to visit family. He had no family left he'd even think of visiting but his younger brother and when with Volkner he had simply visited once a day and left to stay at a hotel for the night.

He sighed. He really didn't want to stay here, but the aching muscles all across his body deemed it necessary.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Gardenia tossed and turned, brushing her few lacerations all across the bandages that covered them and thus causing a few moments of pain which her groggy self ignored.

“She was the lucky one out of the Chateau trio...” she heard a voice say. “She just has some cuts from the fall... we can't even figure out what's wrong with the other two... and their poor Pokemon just barely hung on...”

“... my Roselia?” she croaked weakly.

“... She'll be fine, dear,” the voice responded. Now a bit more awake, but not willing to turn onto her back and open her eyes to confirm, her logical mind told her it was likely a nurse. “She took a bit of a bruising during the fall, but our regeneration machines have healed her right up.”

Gardenia wanted to question further, really, but she felt the sudden need to stop speaking and allow herself to fall down through the clouds of her mind and into dreamland once again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

It was six thirty in the morning, and only two people were up.

Jasmine Mikan sighed lightly as she sat on the couch of this woman's home, a bowl of Abra Kadabra's brand marshmallow cereal in her hand. The woman, who had by now identified herself as Matilda Adamson (“Mattie for short, please.”), sat on the couch next to her, trying to spark up conversation.

“So, Miss Jasmine, where are you headed to? It's pretty obvious you're a trainer.”

“A Coordinator, actually, Miss Mattie.”

“Ohh, I see. So you must be headed to Hearthome?” Matilda asked.

“Yes ma'am,” Jasmine responded.

“But the contests don't start for another week and a half! Do you have enough money to stay in hotels for that long?” Matilda asked, concern evident in her almost motherly voice. Jasmine supposed, because she had a daughter around her age, that it was a given that she be treated maternally.

“I believe so-”

“I'd like a confirmation! If not, I insist you at least stay here a few more days. You're rather pleasant to be around.”

“Ma'am-”

“Mattie, Miss Jasmine.”

“... Miss Mattie, I don't want to be a burden ...”

Matilda Adamson then laughed joyously. “Miss Jasmine, you're not at all a burden. In fact, in a few days, my daughters and I were planning on heading to Hearthome ourselves! You can come with us. It'd be safer, wouldn't it?”

“But Miss Mattie-”

“No buts. You're staying here,” she said with a warm smile.

“... Alright,” Jasmine responded, conceding her defeat.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Volkner Denzi sat up in his hospital bed and looked at his surroundings. He could tell that he was in a private room, mainly because of the blinds in all windows of the room, walls were there weren't blinds and a door tightly shut directly in front of him, that to covered by blinds.

Next to him, on the nightstand provided for him, sat his two Pokeballs. He grabbed one and pressed the release switch, a blinding light flashing through the room. He blinked, recovering from the sudden burst that he hadn't really thought about, and stared at the creature that came out with intense feelings of confusion.

He knew for certain that a Pichu was not supposed to evolve unless it felt intense kinship to its trainer, or extreme happiness of its situation. Chuseph was not supposed to have evolved – ever. Volkner did not intend to make friends with his Pokemon, to be fatherly to them. But here was proof that he somehow did it anyway, the cute little mouse Pokemon.

“Pika pika chuuu..” Chuseph cooed cutely, walking up to Volkner's side and laying there.

And for some ungodly reason, Volkner found himself smiling. Then he forced that away and pressed the release switch of Chuseph's Pokeball once again, and watched as the mouse Pokemon was sucked back into it.

He lifted up his arm, ignoring the pain, and punched the mattress. Suddenly, he heard the door open, and a nurse stepped through.

A rather cute nurse, too. “Ah, you're awake, sir!”

Volkner didn't respond, merely staring at her.

“You should lie down,” she said. “You've got a torn Trapezius muscle, as well as quite a few bruises all over you, not to mention some cuts. You'll be fighting fit within a week, but I'd really recommend getting some rest-”

She noticed the Pokeball in his hand.

“Oh, and you should thank your little guys... if it weren't for them, the wood from the collapsed floor could have done much worse damage. I doubt you'd have died, but you'd be in here for months recovering.”

Volkner still didn't respond, but did lie down as she instructed him. He didn't want to be awake right now, so sleep was the best option he had left.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

one week later

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Being that Cyrus was the only one who hadn't lost SOMETHING in the collapse, Volkner and Gardenia were now forced to go shopping in the Eterna Pokemart together. A rather limited selection of items, but for a trainer not much was really needed.

Their list was as following:

POKE BALLS X 5 (each) (75$)
SUPER POTIONS X 3 (each) (180$)
FULL HEALS X 10 (each) (300$)
DRIED POKECHOW PACKS X 10 (30$)
DRIED PEOPLE FOOD PACKS X 3 (each, should last 'till our next destination. And by each I mean all three of us!) (45$)
REPELS X 5 (250$)
ESTIMATED COST: 880 PokeDollars

A rather tedious list, and an even more tedious amount of items to carry, but they were all necessities, really.

So the two shopped for about an hour to get it all done, eliminating a bit of their monetary load in exchange for a more physical one. At least they now had three people to split it between, Volkner thought.

The two headed outside with huge bags, and they knew their shopping load wasn't over yet.

So next, while Cyrus once again lazed around outside to “guard the bags” (bleh, Volkner thought to that), the two of them went into Eterna Cycle Shop. Inside, they met a boy around their age manning the store for his father.

“So, uhh... Rydel, you said it was?” Gardenia asked.

“Yep!” Rydel responded. “What can I do ya for?”

“You seem like a pretty cool kid. What would ya recommend for a bike? Cheap, efficient, and sturdy,” she said. “All of 'em.”

“If that's the case, we have just the bike for you, mademoiselle Gardenia,” a flirtatious-accented Rydel said. “It's called the Bolt. Fast, and can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Rides smooth across both mountain and man-made territory.”

“How much?”

“200 PokeDollars each. They're real new, perfected only last week. Hottest thing on the bike market.”

“... I said cheap-” Gardenia started, but the fortune of Volkner and Cyrus then came to mind. “Never mind. We'll take three.”

“Three?!” Rydel said. “Dad'll be thrilled! Come on up to the cash register. Your friend monsieur Denzi- I mean, Mister Volkner, can pick them right on up. They're foldable too, by the way! Real wonders'a technology.”

Gardenia nodded and walked up to the cash register, reaching into the envelope of money and pulling out exactly six hundred PokeDollars. In the mean time, Rydel struck up conversation to which Gardenia pretty much ignored, keeping her answers short and sweet for the sheer purpose of politeness.

“Ya'know, I personally think that the Bolt is a bit of a contraption myself. Still the best on the market, but totally inconvinient. Gotta be a more efficient way of doing things, ya'know? Like, I wanna someday make a bike of my own. Kinda similar to the Bolt in terms of endurance, but a... a... Acro-bike! Yeah, I like the sound of it. A flexible one that is much lighter and can do tricks easy. Ya never know when flexibility is important when biking, ya'know?”

“Yep...” she muttered.

“You think it's a good idea?”

“Sure...”

And finally, the two of them got out of there, meeting Cyrus outside. They all went up to their shared room in the Pokemon center there and got things split up evenly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Volkner was smart enough to do the one thing he noticed Gardenia had forgotten to inform him of: get distinctions between bikes.

Volkner's bike was, like the others, sleek and medium-sized, but a dark shade of yellow like his hair. A rather good looking thing in his opinion.

He had gotten Gardenia a green one, as she adored grass types.

For Cyrus, he had followed the same principle he used for his own, and it was a navy blue. The closest thing to the boy's hair color that Volkner could possibly find.

The three of them sat on their bikes in formation, Cyrus in the lead, Volkner in the middle, and Gardenia on the end, just at the edge of the famed Cycling Road. It was a challenge for trainers to pass – because of its deep incline. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but you weren't allowed on there without a bike, and of course a bike on an inclined hill meant serious control issues. Plus there were even some trainers crazy enough to BATTLE on such a hill.

But the three of them pedaled out, one after the other, and made it down safely. Some dodging had needed to be done to not only avoid crashing into themselves but crashing into others. Quite a few athletic people using the place for exercise shouted such obscenities as, “UP YOUR *** BUDDY!” and “EVER HEARD OF SELF-CONTROL, JERKOFFS?”.

They finally reached the end, but decided to stay on their bikes for purposes of speed and efficiency. They passed down the road until they reached a two-way path: it was either head south down a slope of a mountain they weren't quite sure they could get back up again, or go through a cave to the east.

They decided for the eastern cave.

A relatively uneventful ride went through there – the cave was barely any size at all, and they trudged through the swarms of Zubat and Geodude to make it out in about an hour. Finally, they reached the next destination city – Hearthome.

But the problem was, they reached the area as a duo, not a trio. Cyrus, for some reason, had decided that he wanted to stay to explore the area's inside a little longer. To their reluctance, Volkner and Gardenia had left on without him. Hopefully he wouldn't pull a Chateau on them again.

The two walked from there on out, and on their way to a Pokemon Center to drop off their stuff, they came across an odd sight.

A girl. She was obviously pretty young, maybe around nine or ten years old, and she sat on a public bench simply bawling her eyes out. Her entire frame shook, her chest heaving. A pretty little sight, nice brown hair and amber eyes, it was a bit pitiful to Volkner – but he would remain stoic on the situation. Even if they didn't check it out, he'd sleep well that night, but he couldn't help but sigh as he realized it: Gardenia would perform the duties of any female at the sight of a crying comrade. Comfort, support, and be an overall annoyance to any stoic traveling partner. And in this case, Volkner was said traveling partner.

GOD DAMN IT.

“Hey, hey...” Gardenia said in a low, babyish tone. “What's wrong?”

The blubbering annoyance looked up to Gardenia and lifted up an arm, wiping away tears with the back of her hand. “... Some escaped! The poor little babies, in a city this big... they c-could...”

“What do ya mean?” Gardenia asked, and so an explanation was given.

This was a young girl nicknamed Bebe. A part time computer-geek, part-time breeder of Eevees, she had been taking a couple she was raising out for a walk, when a group of “cool tough-guys” had purposely scared them with their Pokemon. She had lost her grip of collars, and pretty soon Kiki, one of the two Eevees she had been exercising (a nameless runt of the litter hadn't been ballsy enough to get away, apparently) run off into the city.

“It's okay, Bebe!” Gardenia tried to comfort. “I'm sure people'll get suspicious when they see Eevees with collars. Tell the Police you've lost 'em.”

“... I have already, but it's no comfort!” she exclaimed. “I want my widdle baby backkkk...”

Gardenia then looked up, and Volkner froze in fear.

“... You're going to make me go try and find her, aren't you?” he asked.

Gardenia nodded. “I'm gonna take some money and go see the contests today with Bebe. You'll be runnin' 'round Hearthome findin' that Eevee.”

“No-”

“Problem? How sweet of ya, Volkner!” Gardenia exclaimed. She quickly pulled Bebe's weight up and the two walked off.

“... God damn it,” Volkner muttered. “Leaving ME with the dirty jobs. Cyrus, why aren't you with us?!”

And at that moment, Volkner would get the answer to his question with the ringing of his phone. He pressed it up to his ear.

“Cyrus?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Cyrus responded. “Listen, Volkner. I know it's kind of sudden, but I've decided that I'd like some alone time. To travel alone. Good luck with finding out what's happened to you – hopefully I'll be making a long distance call to Johto next time I call you.”

“... Damn it,” Volkner muttered. “Alright, I suppose. Good luck, Cyrus. See ya.”

“See ya.”

With a click of the phone shutting, Volkner suddenly felt a slight loneliness.

"... Damn it."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Cyrus Akagi stared at the carving in front of him with a slight wonder in his eyes. It was text in an ancient language, but from studies as a younger child, Cyrus understood it perfectly.

He was glad that he had stumbled upon it. Because it introduced a whole new idea in his head, the thoughts of perhaps making his dreams come true.

If he could perform this, this chain-to-beast act, decipher its true meaning behind the words and get it done... well, he would be doing a great favor to mankind. He smiled broadly at the thought: a world without strife.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Gardenia walked into the Contest Hall and observed another odd sight.

Bebe had calmed down by now, but apparently another soul needed comforting, and she felt the compelling urge to be there as well as she could for someone who needed it. So, she handed money to Bebe.

“Go buy tickets. I gotta go use the restroom,” she said swiftly, before approaching the girl who sat on the couch of the lobby.

She was a beautiful girl, obviously around her age of thirteen. She had pampered herself a bit for show-purposes, and already Gardenia could tell from that that she intended to enter the Contest. Perhaps a nervous breakdown? She wasn't crying hard (tears were streaming down her face) but she was shaking violently, her eyes wide with evidence of fright.

Gardenia sat down next to her and placed a hand on the back of her sheer white dress, accidentally brushing against her brown hair. “Hey, what's wrong?” she asked.

The girl remained unresponsive.

“A nervous breakdown? Ya a Contest Entry?”

The girl nodded.

“What's yer name?”
The girl remained quiet for a few moments, before speaking in a slow, careful voice.

“Jasmine.”

Gardenia nodded. “Ah, okey doke. My name's Gardenia. Now listen up here, I gotta go get my seat. But I 'spect ya to be in that contest, ya hear? Don'tcha disappoint me, otherwise I'll never forgive ya.”

The reaction to this was violent, but positive.

Jasmine leaped to her feet and nodded swiftly. “... T-thank you,” she said, before turning and dashing off.

After the girls took their seats, Gardenia lay back in hers and waited for the show to begin.

At that precise moment, the girl beside her initiated conversation.

“So, you excited for the show?” she asked. Her voice was high-pitched, pleasant to the point of almost being soothing. Gardenia looked over to her. She had a head of straight brown hair (apparently a very common color here in Hearthome – this girl was the third brunette she had spoken to in less than half an hour), and wore a long red dress. Her eyes were as blue as the ocean itself, calming.

“Yeh,” Gardenia said, smiling. “I've always wanted 'ta see a Contest. But bein' cooped up back in my hometown, only got 'ta do it on the television, and even then I was barely available that long.”

“Really? Where's your hometown?” the girl asked.

“Eterna City. I was a gym trainer, I say 'was' 'cause I'm currently off active duty for trainin' purposes.”

“Oh. I hear Lillith Florence was once quite the contest spectacle.”

“She's a beaut, fer sure. I can imagine her in one just as plain as I'd'a imagined her in the gym.”

“Heheh... I'm sure. So, what's your name, if you don't mind me asking?”

“Gardenia. Yerself?”

The girl answered, and the two conversed until the show finally began, Bebe popping in for the occasional comment.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

“And now I've got'cha, ya little...” Volkner muttered as he lay his eyes upon the brown-furred creature, a black collar around her neck labeled with the name “Kiki”. “Time to come home to your mama so I can get out'a here 'n quick...”

Volkner leaped forward, his arms swiping together in an attempt to embrace the Eevee tight enough so that it couldn't struggle its way out, but loose enough to allow respiration. It wouldn't have mattered how tight he had tried to make his embrace anyway: he had embraced the air.

He was in an alleyway as he tried to catch this thing, and instead of taking a dive onto the ground like he had planned, he had also miscalculated his aim. He hit a trashcan straight on, knocking over the contents onto the ground and (he wasn't sure, but he had some confidence in the theory) giving himself a slight concussion. He leaped up to his feet again, taking off after the creature. It had run into the streets and Volkner intended to follow.

“STOP THAT EEVEE!” he bellowed, but of course the idiotic citizens of Hearthome did just the opposite by stepping out of his way. Finally, he decided to throw caution to the wind, and he leaped forward once again: right in front of a massive crowd in the local plaza, he had leaped to the ground and stuck his fingers in an Eevee's collar, scraping up his face but in the proccess catching the Pokemon.

He walked to the contest hall and began to wait outside, holding a baby Eevee content in his arms. Sickening, really.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Gardenia stood outside of the backstage entry way, Bebe obviously perplexed, but able to tell Gardenia was excited.

After a few minutes of waiting, the door opened to reveal a beaming Jasmine, who had performed over her stage fright and done so excellently. She had not won, but she had done one of the most beautiful performances with her Butterfree that Gardenia had ever had the privelege of seeing.

“Well, well,” Gardenia said. “Someone sure didn't disappoint.”

Gardenia was pleasantly surprised when the shy girl then walked closer to her and drew her into an embrace.

“Thank you!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Volkner was greeted outside by a trio of girls – Gardenia, Bebe and some new girl. This new girl had a particular radiance to her, a cute girl very close to his age, but he would ignore her for new, a bit too annoyed to flirt.

“Here's your Eevee back,” Volkner muttered to Bebe and handed the creature to her. The little girl was ecstatic. “And who's your friend, Gardenia?”

The girl bowed her head quickly. “My name's J-Jasmine,” she said. He wondered what the stutter was for. “Gardenia told me about her friends. H-huh-handsome, lean and strong looking... Cyrus?”

“Volkner,” he responded flatly.

“... Oh.”

“Speakin'a which,” Gardenia said over a few squeals from Bebe. “Any news from Cyrus yet?”

“I'll tell you later,” Volkner said. “Once we drop Bebe back to her place and... Jasmine... wherever she's going.”

“Actually,” Gardenia said with a smirk. “She was wondering if she could travel with us. What do ya think?”

Volkner simply shrugged. “Whatever.”

So the four walked to their respective destinations – Bebe to her home close by the Pokemon Center, and Volkner, Gardenia and Jasmine to the Pokemon Center itself. It was there that Volkner explained Cyrus's wishes to her.

“That so?” she asked. “Kind of a disappointment. Good thing we got a new member of the gang then, eh?”

“Whatever...”

Gardenia sighed and stood up, turning around to walk toward her bed. But at that moment, something fell out of her back pocket.

“Dropped something,” Volkner said.

“Oh... oh! Look at this,” she said. “Met this girl in the Contest Hall. So nice. Took a picture with her from some photographer.”

Volkner reluctantly accepted the photograph. He drew in sharp breathe.

Gardenia stood next to a girl in a red dress. The face of this girl was all too familiar, and the horror of it was confirmed by the signature.

“Best Wishes to Gardenia on her travels!
- signed, Mana Aname”​

Author's Notes: So here we are. One heck of an eventful chapter, eh? We meet Rydel, Bebe, Jasmine joins our crew, Cyrus leaves it, and Mana makes her comeback in a sinister and enigmatic way. So fun. =D

#1TransendTrainer

PANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
this is fantastic. i luv Chuseph;172;;172;;172;;172;;172;

D. Scott

Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Anyways, Chapter 8 is coming on strong, except for the whole writer's block part. That sort of impedes it.

I'll hopefully have it up by the end of next week. If not, sorry, and I'll be sure to make it up to you guys however I can.

D. Scott

SINNOH STORIES
THE LEGEND OF VOLKNER

Author's Notes: I apologize for the late chapter. I've been having fun with my new, shiny bout of writer's block! Plus I've been reading another fan fiction. A very long one at that – Digital Skitty (his ffnet username anyways)'s “Pedestal”. Suggest giving it a shot while you wait for more of my amazing story. =p

[[Chapter 8: Pop goes the Volkner]]
The trio of Volkner, Gardenia, and Jasmine was walking away from the busy city of Hearthome, yet Volkner was the only one who felt something unique – a sort of loneliness that he had never felt before in his life. It wasn't a romantic loneliness, it wasn't a loneliness for friendship... it was... well, he didn't quite know the words.

It felt as if he were leaving his destiny behind; a blue haired teenager called Cyrus. A piece of his heart was with him, and he meant it in the least homosexual way possible. But it was as if the Gods themselves had plopped him right down next to Cyrus for a purpose, he just couldn't figure out what this purpose was.

The speaking of a woman annoyed him out of his thoughts.

“... Excuse me?”

Okay, it was a little girl. He recognized it now to belong to Bebe, the girl who's Eevee she had saved the previous day.

He turned around with the rest of the group and found himself a bit worried (he himself couldn't believe that either) at the sight of such despair in her hazel eyes. An Eevee was in one hand, being walked, while the other hand had a Pokeball in it.

“Go on,” she said, extending her hand to Volkner. “This here is... well, he was recently born. I don't want to part with him so soon, but I think it's best... he's an Eevee. I want you to train him, Mister Denzi.”

Gardenia and Jasmine looked to him expectantly – as if they expected him to take it or something. He scoffed, and turned around to begin to walk off. That was, until she said something to him.

“Eevee can grow strong, you know. They have seven different possible evolutions. He would make a great addition to your team...”

He immediately turned around and swiped the ball from her extended hand. She smiled at this, nodded and began to turn.

“Thanks,” Volkner said, before turning around himself. “See ya, Bebe.”

Gardenia looked at him like he had grown a third eye; Volkner knew she had already assessed him to be a cruel, cold-hearted bastard when he hadn't healed Chuseph as quick as she would have liked. He had done that solely to shock her and throw her off.

Right?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gardenia's real concern lay with the fact that he HAD accepted the Pokemon. He had shown some appreciation for once in his life, but that was likely because he had also just received a rare and potentially powerful Pokemon just for a little running around a city.

She worried deeply that he would abuse the poor little newborn, and so she would enforce it strictly that if he were to go off on his own, the Pokemon would be in her care. She brought the subject up now.

“Volkner,” she said. “I understand why ya took the lil' guy, but make me a deal here. I'll 'low ya to go off on yer own when we're in towns, but the lil' guy goes with ME when you do.”

He was surprisingly agreeable to that.

“Sure,” he muttered. “Why the hell not?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The group traveled swiftly to the route east of Hearthome, heading toward the next destination on the map, Solaceon Town: town of the Pokemon Daycare, newspaper station, and ancient ruins. Three different things to interest three different people.

Jasmine was interested in the daycare. She had always been a one for raising Pokemon, as she could befriend even giants like her Onix.

Gardenia was always a sucker for the press. She wanted to check out the workings of the building.

Volkner had Mana on his mind. He had let the spectacle of last night go as to not inform Gardenia or Jasmine just what had happened to him, but he wanted to see if Ancient Ruins in Sinnoh had been the reason he had been dropped here; probably not, as the nagging feeling in his heart told him, but he would see.

His train of thought was interrupted when an odd figure skidded across the dirt in front of them, taking an almost shy pose. The girls giggled at this, finding it amusing. Volkner just wanted to move past this stranger and go on, but he stood up and straightened himself off, blocking their path.

He was about five foot three in height, and looked around their age. His head was covered in a tangled mess of green hair like the vines of a shiny Tangela, this covered by a white hat with a black rim. His clothing was a simple combination of a navy blue hoody and a pair of jeans, and his feet were covered by a pair of black sandals.

“... Sorry 'bout that,” he murmured. The group struggled to hear him, drawing in closer. He flinched sheepishly at this, but allowed them to get close enough – even doing the courtesy of speaking a bit louder for them. “I just wanted to get close before you guys ran out of the way... nearly fell on my butt, though...”

Gardenia was the one to step forward and nod her head, still stifling laughter. “It's okay,” she said. “Is there something you wanted from us?”

“Yes,” the oddity of nature admitted. “I was up in the trees, looking for my Caterpie – I did find her! – and then I saw you guys pass by. I just felt...” As he spoke, he reached toward the belt around his waist, clipping off a ball from it. “... like I wanted to battle, you.”

The pause was for his other hand to lift up and point to Volkner.

“The hell?” Volkner questioned. “Why me?”

The man shrugged. “You just look like someone I'd enjoy battling.” Oddly enough, when he said this, a small glint was evident in the man's gaze. He shrugged it off. “By the way, my name is Jordan Summers. Yours?”

“... Volkner Denzi. My comrades Gardenia Natane and Jasmine... Mikan, wasn't it?”

Jasmine uttered a simple, “Yes,” in response.

Volkner nodded and continued with a sigh. “But I suppose I don't have much of a choice, do I? Fine. We'll battle.”

Jordan grinned widely at this and extended the hand with the Pokeball in it, thumb over the release switch. He seemed to be awaiting Volkner's move.

So Volkner would oblige him. “Let's go, Chuseph!”

“C'mon out, Maggie!~”

Two flashes of red light occurred, and in the central point shared between both competitors, two Pokemon were formed.

The name was perhaps the single most uncreative thing Volkner had ever heard in his life. Only his Chuseph came in at a very close second; at least it had some creativity to it, no matter how slight.

Maggie was a Magnemite. A small hunk of circular stainless steel with a white circle in the center, where a single dot rested like a pupil in an eye. Just below this white circle were two screws, while another screw rested atop its head, slightly protruding. Two horseshoe magnets extended from it, one on each side.

Chuseph, of course, had evolved recently. He was now a good bit bigger, two stubby arms extending from his body. On his cheeks were two circular splotches of red, just below his black-button eyes. His ears were pointed, tipped in black His tail was shaped like a lightning bolt.

The two electric Pokemon stared each other down intensely, Chuseph on all fours and emitting a low, “Chuuuu...”

Maggie, however, simply floated there lifelessly.

“Electric versus Electric. Pretty interesting turnout, Mister Denzi...”

“Very much so, Mister Summers,” he responded. He was smiling in spite of himself.

“First command goes to you, Mister Denzi,” Jordan said. His smile still remained, never having faded.

“Fair enough,” Volkner said. He was, in all honesty, a bit apprehensive about this because he knew that Chuseph had no non-electric attacking moves. He knew nothing about this Magnemite, and though for the moment it appeared as if they were on equal terms because both were of the same type, it could easily pull out a non-electric move and slaughter Chuseph. “Chuseph, Sweet Kiss!”

Chuseph moved toward Maggie in leaps and bounds, before finally planting a simple kiss against the Magnemite's “cheek”. This quickly caused more than Volkner thought it would: it confused the Magnemite like it was supposed to, but it went haywire.

It darted around the area in a circle, buzzing its loudest, before falling to the ground right on its “face”. It lifted up again, shook itself like a wet dog, much to Volkner's awe (he didn't think such a thing was possible of a Magnemite), then awaited its master's command.

“... Okay, then,” :Jordan said. “Gravity, Maggie!”

It worked past the mild confusion of the Sweet Kiss, and began to work its magnets together. Once the tips touched, everyone in the area felt suddenly heavier; the Pokemon even more so. Chuseph cried out in shock.

But in the proccess, the Magnemite was pulled down to the ground.

“Stupid move, Summers!” Volkner said. “Chuseph, Volt Tackle!”

Chuseph began to run forward as fast as he could under the invisible pressure, his entire body surrounded by an electrical yellow aura. He leaped slightly off the ground just moments before contact – and was frozen.

“Good job, Maggie! Now, keep the Magnet Rise up, but subtract the Pikachu with a fierce Magnet Bomb!”

Against the gravity, Magnemite was rising into the air and carrying Chuseph with it. A couple of seconds later, though, Chuseph was screeching out in surprise as a silver ball of energy burst forward from the two magnets touching together, and his struggling was no more.

Grimacing, Volkner returned Chuseph to switch him out with Elekid.

Elekid clashed his hands together excitedly, his face showing slight signs of strain from the gravity in the area: but he wasn't going to let it get in his way, obviously, as evidenced by the fact that he jumped from side to side with his fists barred like a boxer.

“Alright! Cross Chop, Elekid!” Volkner commanded, and the yellow creature with prong-ears responded all too eagerly. He ran forward and leaped up toward the Magnemite, barely managing to reach its height but managing it all the same. He crossed his arms over each other in x-formation, before releasing them, striking the metallic skin of Maggie with an unrivaled strength.

“... A critical hit,” Jordan murmured. Magnemite had fallen. Jordan returned it, and switched in his next Pokemon – or tried too, anyway.

“Go Gallade!” a voice screamed, and Volkner recoiled, turning around to see the face of his kidnapper back in the Valley Windworks. He froze and then heard his ears pop, as the green and white Pokemon dashed forward and grabbed him by the hand, before disappearing into the day; Volkner alongside him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“Flint, darling,” the voice called. “Did you pack clean underwear? Proper toiletries? Burn Heals? Potions?”

Flint ran a hand through his thick red hair, turning around to look at the kind old woman who had sheltered him through the night's storm, and had even been as kind as to let him sleep-in and eat a Brunch with her. She was such an awful worry wart, though... he sighed, and nodded to her.

“Yes, ma'am! Thanks for letting me stay with you, and for letting me take a few things. I promise I will come back here some day and pay you back!” Flint called out.

The kind old woman simply smiled and waved. “Don't worry about it, dear. Good luck.”

Flint waved back, turning around once again with his Magmar out at his side. “Alright, Mags!” he said cheerfully. “We'll jog for half an hour, then rest. Should be plenty excersise, right?”

“Marrrr!~” Mags responded cheerfully.

And so it would be done, the two of them turning back to wave one more time to the kind old hostess, before they began to jog off into the forest.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author's Notes(END): Sorry for the lack of length. I feel it best to cut off here. Hope you enjoy this chapter! Please don't hesitate to drop in a review.

Breezy

Whee, late response.

Chapter five review:

“Pichu: The Tiny Mouse Pokemon. The pre-evolved form of Pichu.
The second "Pichu" should be "Pikachu." Though I do wonder what the pre-evolved form of a pichu could be. Prolly pi.

LOL MATH JOKE. Kinda.

Gardenia of Eterna Gym followed him, a hand firmly placed on his shoulder, looming over him like an angry Salamence.
I think the tag "of Eterna Gym" is a bit unnecessary. We already know who Gardenia is by now. Not unless this is a hint at something and there's five more Gardenia's about to pop up.

Anyway, interesting chapter. I liked your mechastarly ... thing. It was a creative way for Volkner to get around that pesky pokedex while still learning necessary information. It was also nice to see Volkner's mindset during battle -- his attitude toward pokemon as murdering creatures really shone through, and I'm glad to see that it offended both Lily and Gardenia. Lily was developed well, even though I think she won't be appearing any time soon (if any time at all). I also think Gardenia will make an interesting opposite to Volkner in terms of pokemon trainer. I think her and Cyrus balance out the rasher Volkner. She's easily becoming my favorite character, though I do like everyone you've added so far, faults and all.

I'm also glad to see that there were ramifications for Chuseph using Volt Tackle. I was a bit wary when I got to that point (I assumed that the pichu wouldn't get hurt, or something), but I'm glad to see I was like, like always.

Chapter six review:

I liked the odd chemistry between Volkner and Gardenia in this chater, with Gardenia's fear and Volkner's skepticism/annoyance with Gardenia's fear. It was amusing to see tough girl Gardenia pretty much faint at the first sight (or sound) of ghost, and then Volkner's panic, followed by his brilliant idea.

“I don't want to do anyone any favors! I don't want to train, I don't want to remember Ivan's death, I don't want to travel, I JUST WANNA GO HOME! JUST LET ME GO HOME, PLEASE!” he sobbed.
I wonder who said this, the ghost or Volkner (I assume Volkner). If it is Volkner, I wonder who this Ivan person is. Perhaps his death is why he's so rash? D:

The scene with Jasmine was interesting. I've read a few fics where she always seems to be getting into some sort of trouble with some sort of strange person, then she mumbles something weakly, and then she kicks ***. It's very ... her, if that makes sense. I liked how sweet and humble and calm you made her, even after what she went through.

My only concern with this chapter was Chuseph, who I know was injured pretty badly in the last chapter (broken arm and whatnot). He didn't seem to be too hurt in this chapter (at least there was no acknowledgment of limited or no movement in the broken arm), which I found a little fishy. Though interesting to see him involve into a pikachu. They involve with happiness, don't they? So maybe the little bugger wanted to be a battler all along ... or really loves Volkner despite Volkner not really loving him back.

Chapter seven:

It was a unique smell, Volkner thought as he lay awake in his bed. The smell of hospitals, a clean and fresh scent always having that underlying stench of rot and sickness. He had no idea how he had gotten to a hospital, but he knew he was really tired of having to be in one. This was about his third time this month.

His daredevil antics really needed to stop.
Haha, for real. Was gonna comment on how half of this fic so far takes place in a hospital. XP

He knew for certain that a Pichu was not supposed to evolve unless it felt intense kinship to its trainer, or extreme happiness of its situation. Chuseph was not supposed to have evolved – ever. Volkner did not intend to make friends with his Pokemon, to be fatherly to them. But here was proof that he somehow did it anyway, the cute little mouse Pokemon.
Oh, boo. You read my mind. =P

Gardenia would perform the duties of any female at the sight of a crying comrade. Comfort, support, and be an overall annoyance to any stoic traveling partner. And in this case, Volkner was said traveling partner.

GOD DAMN IT.
Loveeeee it. =P Especially how random the "god damn it" was centered and italicizing for some reason, haha.

Anyway, more funny moments between Volkner and Gardenia, along with character development of Gardenia's part. I like all the different "faces" you're giving her, from her sharp tongue with Volkner to her motherly, nurturing role with girls in despair. Volkner was enjoyable to read as always with his annoyance with catching Kiki. I'm also glad that Jasmine joined the crew, but I am going to miss Cyrus. He really did balance the other two out with his calm and logical manner, though I suppose Jasmine is just as calm. Still, I hope he makes an appearance sooner or later, whether as a friend or not. And ooh, the mysterious Mana appears. Liked how you threw that it at the end.

You know, I don't think I ever commented on it, but I really like the way you introduce canon characters. I never really thought of them meeting, let alone connecting, the way you make them, but it really, really works well. The dialogue between them is believable, along with their personalities, which were pretty skimp to begin with (at least game canon-wise). I really can see them intermingling and becoming friends/acquaintances/rivals/enemies. Fun stuff.

Curiously, though, what made you choose these characters anyway? I guess I can rationalize Gardenia as she is a resident of Eterna, and Volkner landed around that area. But why Volkner? Or Cyrus? Or Jasmine (though I think I can piece that together, I'm just not sure how to word it correctly)?

Anyway, onto chapter eight!

Chapter eight:

I liked the introduction. Again, it illustrated the dynamic between Volkner and Gardenia well, though I am wondering when we get to see some dialogue between Jasmine and Volkner. I know he had a side thought of her being cute but being too annoyed to initially flirt with her, so I'm wondering if he's going to treat Jasmine politer than he does with Gardenia, or in the same, annoyed way. Or flirt with her. I think this is a JasminexVolkner fic, no? Er, back to my main point, I liked the narrative (well, I always like your narrative) and Volkner's thoughts back to Cyrus. I miss the guy, too, in a non-romantic, non-friendshipy sort of way.

Mysterious stuff in this chapter. Random trainers jumping out of trees to chase down the group, and then Volkner being kidnapped by a gallade, followed with a scene with Flint. I thought the battle was done pretty well -- it wasn't bogged down with detail and was quick and snappy, as I expect battles should be.

On a random note, I like that you have people call each other "Miss ____" or "Mister _____" lately. Them times seem so much politer. Sigh. =P

Good chapters! I actually do like the length of your chapters; they're in nice, bite-size pieces that seem to end at the perfect spot. I never got that feeling that your chapter was skimp or "too much" (where you try to throw all this plot or character development/introduction). It's just the right amount. For me anyway. =P

D. Scott

Whee, late response.

Chapter five review:

The second "Pichu" should be "Pikachu." Though I do wonder what the pre-evolved form of a pichu could be. Prolly pi.

OH CRAP. Thanks for pointing that out...

LOL MATH JOKE. Kinda.

I think the tag "of Eterna Gym" is a bit unnecessary. We already know who Gardenia is by now. Not unless this is a hint at something and there's five more Gardenia's about to pop up.

True that. I'll remove it.

Anyway, interesting chapter. I liked your mechastarly ... thing. It was a creative way for Volkner to get around that pesky pokedex while still learning necessary information. It was also nice to see Volkner's mindset during battle -- his attitude toward pokemon as murdering creatures really shone through, and I'm glad to see that it offended both Lily and Gardenia. Lily was developed well, even though I think she won't be appearing any time soon (if any time at all). I also think Gardenia will make an interesting opposite to Volkner in terms of pokemon trainer. I think her and Cyrus balance out the rasher Volkner. She's easily becoming my favorite character, though I do like everyone you've added so far, faults and all.

MechaStarly was one of the most amazing things I've ever had the privelege of writing.

Thanks. Lily was also fun to write, and she WILL make a return soon enough.

I'm also glad to see that there were ramifications for Chuseph using Volt Tackle. I was a bit wary when I got to that point (I assumed that the pichu wouldn't get hurt, or something), but I'm glad to see I was like, like always.

Of course. I'm trying to stick a lot by gameverse logic, even though I already have broken a few rules for that.

Chapter six review:

I liked the odd chemistry between Volkner and Gardenia in this chater, with Gardenia's fear and Volkner's skepticism/annoyance with Gardenia's fear. It was amusing to see tough girl Gardenia pretty much faint at the first sight (or sound) of ghost, and then Volkner's panic, followed by his brilliant idea.

In this CHATER?!- No, no, I know what'cha mean.

I wonder who said this, the ghost or Volkner (I assume Volkner). If it is Volkner, I wonder who this Ivan person is. Perhaps his death is why he's so rash? D:

Volkner. Ivan will be explained eventually; 'till then, just know you're pretty much close.

The scene with Jasmine was interesting. I've read a few fics where she always seems to be getting into some sort of trouble with some sort of strange person, then she mumbles something weakly, and then she kicks ***. It's very ... her, if that makes sense. I liked how sweet and humble and calm you made her, even after what she went through.

:3 It fits the image of her I've always had perfectly. Timid, but when she needs to, she's fierce.

My only concern with this chapter was Chuseph, who I know was injured pretty badly in the last chapter (broken arm and whatnot). He didn't seem to be too hurt in this chapter (at least there was no acknowledgment of limited or no movement in the broken arm), which I found a little fishy. Though interesting to see him involve into a pikachu. They involve with happiness, don't they? So maybe the little bugger wanted to be a battler all along ... or really loves Volkner despite Volkner not really loving him back.

Touche. I suppose you have a point there... but I guess it's a bit too late for going back to fix it. x_X;

Chapter seven:

Haha, for real. Was gonna comment on how half of this fic so far takes place in a hospital. XP

XD About three chapters out of eight have had Volkner in a hospital, if I'm thinking right.

Oh, boo. You read my mind. =P

I'm a psycho- I mean psychic. Yeahhhh...

Loveeeee it. =P Especially how random the "god damn it" was centered and italicizing for some reason, haha.

Anyway, more funny moments between Volkner and Gardenia, along with character development of Gardenia's part. I like all the different "faces" you're giving her, from her sharp tongue with Volkner to her motherly, nurturing role with girls in despair. Volkner was enjoyable to read as always with his annoyance with catching Kiki. I'm also glad that Jasmine joined the crew, but I am going to miss Cyrus. He really did balance the other two out with his calm and logical manner, though I suppose Jasmine is just as calm. Still, I hope he makes an appearance sooner or later, whether as a friend or not. And ooh, the mysterious Mana appears. Liked how you threw that it at the end.

You know, I don't think I ever commented on it, but I really like the way you introduce canon characters. I never really thought of them meeting, let alone connecting, the way you make them, but it really, really works well. The dialogue between them is believable, along with their personalities, which were pretty skimp to begin with (at least game canon-wise). I really can see them intermingling and becoming friends/acquaintances/rivals/enemies. Fun stuff.

Curiously, though, what made you choose these characters anyway? I guess I can rationalize Gardenia as she is a resident of Eterna, and Volkner landed around that area. But why Volkner? Or Cyrus? Or Jasmine (though I think I can piece that together, I'm just not sure how to word it correctly)?

I won't lie. Cyrus was off a whim and it just worked well. Gardenia was, as you said, because she's a resident of Eterna. Plus an interesting tidbit of trivia; Gardenia x Volkner is called ManaShipping. Jasmine is because I do intend to make it AlexandrianShipping by the end (Jasmine x Volkner).

Anyway, onto chapter eight!

Chapter eight:

I liked the introduction. Again, it illustrated the dynamic between Volkner and Gardenia well, though I am wondering when we get to see some dialogue between Jasmine and Volkner. I know he had a side thought of her being cute but being too annoyed to initially flirt with her, so I'm wondering if he's going to treat Jasmine politer than he does with Gardenia, or in the same, annoyed way. Or flirt with her. I think this is a JasminexVolkner fic, no? Er, back to my main point, I liked the narrative (well, I always like your narrative) and Volkner's thoughts back to Cyrus. I miss the guy, too, in a non-romantic, non-friendshipy sort of way.

Mysterious stuff in this chapter. Random trainers jumping out of trees to chase down the group, and then Volkner being kidnapped by a gallade, followed with a scene with Flint. I thought the battle was done pretty well -- it wasn't bogged down with detail and was quick and snappy, as I expect battles should be.

On a random note, I like that you have people call each other "Miss ____" or "Mister _____" lately. Them times seem so much politer. Sigh. =P

Lol, yeah.

Good chapters! I actually do like the length of your chapters; they're in nice, bite-size pieces that seem to end at the perfect spot. I never got that feeling that your chapter was skimp or "too much" (where you try to throw all this plot or character development/introduction). It's just the right amount. For me anyway. =P

Really? Oh god, there goes a worry. I won't sorry so much over length anymore.

Thanks, as always, for the review, Breezy!

Side-Note: Expect the next update to take a while. I'm going to go ahead and start a side-fic that's been breaking my mind apart just begging to be written. Don't worry, this story WILL continue! Just have some patience. :#

D. Scott

Sinnoh Stories
The Legend of Volkner

Intermission - Revelations

The smell of smoke and the heat of the flames were all that the boy knew. He knew other things in the deep recesses of his mind, of course, but at the time, these were the only things he could differentiate from the gray seas of semi-consciousness. He crawled, feeling the heat on his skin and inhaling the nauseating smell of smoke, coughing loudly. He felt liquid splatter onto his arm. Warm, sticky: blood.

He continued to crawl despite it. His muscles ached, his skin was agonizingly searing, and the world around him was full of chaos, but he refused to acknowledge these facts. He was driven by an intense hatred... a hatred of the blue-haired man.

He knew he hated that blue-haired man riding on the head of the beast, because that blue-haired man was the controller of that beast and the beast had done this. The blue-haired man had done it all, and he wanted to make the blue-haired man pay.

He looked up to see white. A white dress. Brown hair. He assumed it was a girl because girls wore dresses... the girl grabbed him by the hand.

“Child, come with me!” she nearly screamed. The boy was unable to follow her wishes, though... he couldn't move on his own anymore. His body was writhing with white-hot pain, the agony of damaged tissue and the acrid smell of smoking flesh.

The next thing he knew, he lay there on the ground, a small group of people gathered around him. He was numb. The white-dressed brown-hair girl knelt at his side, a hand on his own. Her touch was tender, soothing.

He opened his mouth to speak. He didn't know why he spoke these words, but it was almost as if his mouth was running off autopilot, demanding that he say them. A simple combination.

“... pick … me ...” he croaked, and then the blackness came as his life slipped away from him. The last thing he heard was a simple sigh.

Lisa let loose a small sigh, removing a finger from the forehead of the green leafy creature, listening to it utter a small, “Biii...” before it flew off.

“I understand. Thank you,” she whispered. She leaped off the tree limb and landed on the ground with a soft thud. “Boy... yet another situation you'll require -me- to get you out of.”

She kept a soft touch on the single Pokeball attached to her belt. She supposed she would use this little girl again... she pressed the silver release switch, and immediately grasped a small pink paw.

The creature buzzed around in the air, taking her with it. Lisa wasn't able to keep herself from smiling.

“Myuuu!~” the creature cooed. Lisa knew this was an understanding, “okay,” and she closed her eyes to allow the creature to draw her off into the land of dreams.

She landed in the midst of a volcanic wasteland. The ground was dark and cracked, small pools of magma visibly flowing inside these cracks. She cautiously stepped around them, and searched across the landscape for the one she needed to speak to. The landscape was dotted with volcanoes, large brown masses of land with plumes of lava spitting out of their circular tops. In the middle of four, she spotted her man.

He was tall and handsome, though his hairstyle was a bit freaky. He reminded her of the boy.

“... A beautiful young lady,” the man said. “In my land? It's dangerous out here, Miss – allow me to take you out.”

Almost immediately, a Rapidash spontaneously appeared from nowhere, the man riding on top of it.

She lifted up a hand to show her disapproval.

“Flint,” she said. “You're in a dream.”

“Perhaps so; only in my dreams could I see a beautiful-”

“There is no perhaps. There is only so.”

“... I see. And why do you tell me this?”

“Because it's the only way I can communicate with you. Call me Mana.”

Flint raised an eyebrow. “I see. A pleasure, Mana.”

“You're close to a friend of mine. He's gotten himself into a bit of trouble. I can't go myself: so I need you to save him.”

“And why me, dear Mana?”

“You'll grow into a great man, Flint. He is currently trapped in the Solaceon Town Ruins. When you get to the town, head south immediately. You'll find two REAL damsels in distress, and an unconscious man. Save them, then go save the boy Volkner Denzi.”

“That doesn't-”

“Goodbye, Flint.”

Mana snapped her fingers and disappeared.

Flint awoke with a startled scream, and leaped up to his feet. He felt a sense of urgency. He picked up his supplies, threw them into his backpack and threw that over his shoulders, and finally he bolted off toward the south.

“Destination, Solaceon...” he found himself murmuring.

“Maggg, mar!” Mags, his Magmar, responded as it jogged happily beside him.

Last edited:

#1TransendTrainer

PANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
do u hav a PM list? i'd luv 2 b on it. this fic is getting better w/ every chapter

D. Scott

Indeed I do, actually. I'll be sure to add you.
SINNOH STORIES

THE LEGEND OF VOLKNER

Chapter 9 – Flint's in the Fray!... or not.​

Volkner pressed a hand against the rough wall to pull himself up to his feet, groaning lightly as the debris in the area pressed up against his palm and even broke his skin a little. But it was the least of his concerns; it was a bit more important that towering above him was a Gallade, its elbow-blades barred fiercely as if it was intent on slitting Volkner's throat with them.

But as he blinked, the creature disappeared, and Volkner realized the fate he was being left to. He was in a dimly lit place, only barely able to see a few steps in front of him, and he probably wouldn't be able to find his way out. He was on his own here, and he didn't imagine there were any Wild Pokemon here. So he was also more than likely without food or water.

He had been taken here to die an agonizingly slow death.

“Damn it,” Volkner cursed. “If I had Chuseph or Elekid, I could get out of here... but Chuseph's pretty much useless unconscious, and Elekid was left at the battle scene... I get the luck of being stuck in this dingy, dratted place with only a baby Eevee!”

He kicked the wall, and immediately recoiled, falling on his bum and grabbing for his foot. Despite the ancient appearance of the place, it was made of a very sturdy brick it seemed. He cried out in frustration, before turning to hope he was wrong – and walked into the dark hallways of this unknown labyrinth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Flint barreled through Solaceon Town like his life depended on it; he didn't know why, but he felt like just maybe some other lives did. He remembered he had a dream. It was vivid, yet he couldn't remember much of its message - just that he had run into an odd girl who told him something. Perhaps this was it? He doubted it. After all, he was the flaming fire expert, not a psychic like Kanto's newly appointed Gym Leader Sabrina.

"Young man, slow down some, you'll hurt yourself!" a voice cried out. He was moving so fast that it was not from a decipherable source: someone dressed in blue had simply become a flash of the color to him as he passed him or her on his way through the very small little village.

He arrived at its end in no more than a few minutes. His breathing got harder by the second, but he could have cared less, and he was sure Mags could go on for quite a while longer. He turned a sharp curve to avoid a ditch, while Mags just hopped right on over it -- proving his point. He allowed himself a choked laugh to somehow escape him, and turned another sharp curve around to go back on path. Yet another curve came around, and when he crossed it, he saw the battle scene.

Two women were locked in what appeared to be an intense Pokemon Battle with a young man: his hair was a dark shade of blue, down to his shoulders with bangs nearly covering his eyes. His face held an aura of malice to it that made Flint shudder through his gaps.

The women were standing side by side. One had long brown hair down past her shoulders, unstyled, with a red dress on. The other had brown khakis of a similar color to the other woman's hair, a green shirt and a black cape-like thing draped over her shoulders. Her hair was a caramel brown. In front of them, the caramel brown girl had herself a Turtwig, dancing around the field to avoid attacks by one of the opponents Pokemon -- a white and green knight-like Pokemon he recognized as a Gallade. The regular brown girl had the gigantic rock snake that he recognized as Onix, slamming its tail down forcefully, causing small tremors in the process, in the spot where a white-skinned Pokemon with a bit of green that looked like it was wearing a dress was at the time: it kept teleporting around the battle field to avoid the crushing attacks. He believed it was Gallade's (typically) female counterpart, Gardevoir.

Flint reached toward his belt and unhooked a Pokeball. He allowed himself just a few more seconds to regain his breath before yelling out to gain some attention, "Flare, come on out! Mags, Flare, both of you help them out!"

He tossed his arm forward and from the thrown Pokeball came a small red Pokemon, standing on all fours, its tan mane seeming to waver due to the air around it suddenly getting very, very hot. It was the fire-type evolution of Eevee: Flareon.

The two women turned around and glanced at Flint - before they seemed to simply enjoy the fact that they were going to be helped.

"Turtwig, make room for Flareon!" the caramel brown woman yelled, and her Turtwig consented with ease. It appeared to be very tired, and Flint nodded toward the girl.

"Return it. I'll take over. You too, snake-girl."

Snake-girl seemed a little hesitant, but she too returned her Pokemon after the caramel brown girl did as well.

Flint ran forward, and glanced at their attacker.

"Heh. Attacking two innocent little ladies, eh?" Flint said between breaths. "I oughta beat your butt into the ground for such a heinous crime."

"..." The attacker did not speak. He did not need to anyway: he had two psychic types that were fully evolved. It meant they were experienced, and probably didn't need to be commanded.

So Flint simply decided to attack.

"Flare, attack Gallade with Nitro Charge! Mags, burn 'em up with Lava Plume!"

Flare began stomping the ground with his front two paws for a few moments, his body covered in an orange aura that radiated heat. Then he rushed forward toward Gallade.

Mags opened up his mouth, looked skyward, and shot three bursts of a chunky looking liquid upward into the sky, where it came raining down: Gardevoir teleported out of the way, and the lava landed on the ground with a hot hiss. Gallade lifted up his arm to provide a protective shield... and Flare was hit with the third.

Flint smiled.

The intensity of the orange aura around Flare's body increased, and he slammed right into an unsuspecting Gallade made too busy to dodge by the flames pouring down on him, knocking him down to his knees and eventually right onto his face. The assaulter recalled his Pokemon with a scowl, and then finally spoke.

"You're going to pay for that. Gardevoir, keep dodging attacks with teleport, but use Calm Mind," he said. His voice was low, seething.

Flint felt an odd sense of dread at this; he'd have to end it quick. He returned Flare, and sent out his next Pokemon: a Pokemon with black fur that clung so tightly to its skin that it appeared to be exactly that - its skin, dark and leathery. The Pokemon had a skull pattern on its head, and fierce, piercing eyes. It was his Houndour, a loyal partner.

"Hounds, c'mere," Flint said and then knelt down to whisper something in his ear. The hound nodded and ran over toward the battle field.

"You next, Mags," Flint murmured, and repeated the process. Mags ran over back to the battlefield, and Flint grinned as he spoke his next words. "Let the battle commence!"

Gardevoir was already in the midst of calming herself. She still seemed to have an aura of knowing about her though, and this made both Hounds and Mags look at each other with a bit of anxiousness. The plan must commence, or so they had been told, so they would do it either way.

Mags thrust his neck outward, pursed his lips and sent a stream of fire in the Gardevoir's path. The blazing beam was dodged with ease by a teleport off to the side.

Hounds' role was now to come in. He sent forth a second Flamethrower attack, dodged by moving down to the southwest with another teleport.

Mags and Hounds both sent forth their own individual attacks next: A dark wave of shimmering energy zipped forward and intervened with the path of a flaming mass. Flamethrower and Dark Pulse combined into one attack...

... and at that moment, the plan actually failed.

Not negatively so, Flint thought with a dropped jaw. It was still good this happened. But he had intended to drop in one attack, watch the Gardevoir dodge it, send in another attack that intentionally missed, watch it teleport away anyway, then another attack so that hopefully one of the three flaming through the battlefield would hit.

But instead, the man returned his Pokemon.

"... Understood. It's -your- bounty," the man muttered.

The man then turned around and began to walk away. Flint held out a hand and was prepared to go running after him, but the two girls stepped forward, the brown haired snake-girl with a hand out on his shoulder, caramel brown girl speaking up.

"Thanks fer yer help, stranger, but let's let that guy go. He's pretty tough, and we'll be pushin' our luck," she said, her thick country accent ringing through Flint's ears and filling him with a mild annoyance: he hated to admit it, but she was right.

"Right... so, can I get the pleasure of knowing you lovely ladies and your names?" Flint asked. "If so, I might be able to provide you with a bit of... information."

Caramel stepped back a bit, and brown snake ended up staying in the same place but folding her arms over her chest.

"Gardenia," Caramel said. "And my friend here..." She pointed to snake-girl. "Is Jasmine."

"Flint Oba," Flint said. "And for the bit of information, your friend is in the Solaceon Ruins."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Volkner lay there wallowing in his self pity. He had been searching for what felt like hours, and he was hungry, thirsty and even going as far as to long for some companionship. So he sat there, and pulled out Eevee's Pokeball, preparing to see the little creature for the first time.

It sat there after being released, staring at him curiously, its black eyes wide and almost adorable enough to the point where Volkner smiled. It was a he, Volkner believed.

"... Hey little guy," Volkner murmured, allowing himself to extend a hand. "You get the wonderful ****in' company of good ol' me in this god damned place."

Despite his foul language, Eevee didn't seem to mind and ended up approaching Volkner's hand, gently rubbing his head against his palm. And oddly enough, Volkner found himself liking it.

He shuddered and drew his hand away. "... Don't think you'll get that often," he muttered. Eevee replied by plopping soundly down onto the stone floor and staring up at Volkner happily.

"Veee!~" it chirped.

Volkner smiled, then reversed it. What the hell? He was becoming rather attracted to the little guy already -- he'd have to fix that. He slipped his thumb onto the release/return switch of his Pokeball, and returned the brown-furred critter before getting up and continuing to explore the area.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Flint sighed with annoyance. "For the last time, I'm not revealing my sources! And it doesn't make me a bad guy! I helped you out, didn't I?"

"... Touche," Gardenia said. "Fine. But yer not goin' with us to find Volkner - I ain't gonna trust ya -that- much."

Flint moved past her and tossed something backward. "Fine. But if yer guy is really an electric-buff like you say he is, take it to him. I found it explorin' the place, and I don't need it, sooo..."

Flint walked off, Mags walking happily beside him.

Gardenia looked at the object with a bit of awe. It was a light green stone with a yellow indentation in the middle in the shape of a thunderbolt.

She sighed, pocketing it and turning toward Jasmine. "Alright," she said. "Let's go find ourselves a Volkner."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

So there we go. Chapter 9. It was a bit rushed - I'll admit, but that's probably because I have little time and I wanted to finish this.

I hope you guys enjoy the chapter anyway! Please don't hesitate to review!

Last edited:

D. Scott

SINNOH STORIES
THE LEGEND OF VOLKNER

Chapter 10: Out of the Ruins and into the Fire​

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​
Volkner lay in the middle of a stone floor, his body shifting in its sleep-ridden state as it urged for more comfort; in return, though, it merely ended up causing more discomfort as skin rubbed against brick. Volkner would be in pain when he woke up. But the shifting and groaning he was doing was not entirely for the result of a search for comfort. His mind was also going through a rough state of turmoil, dreams running through his head as fast as a bullet train.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

"Hey, Volk! C'mon, guy, it'll be fun," his voice chirped happily. "I promise, it's perfectly safe!"

"... You sure?" Volkner said uneasily, twiddling his thumbs. "I like the small, cute ones... momma has them all around the house, we can go and see them."

"Screw that!" the boy said. "I wanna see something big, something strong! Like a Scyther, or a Tyranitar!"

"Ivan, it'll be-"

"Nonsense!" Ivan said. "It's perfectly safe if we stay our distance!"

Volkner wasn't so sure. The prospect of two powerful Pokemon in the same area was disturbing to him - he didn't want to ever see anything other than his mother's Abra or the newly born Pichu his mother had bought for him (he couldn't quite remember its nickname). But then again, he supposed if he wanted to ever be COOL, he'd have to do something to prove his worth.

Reluctantly, he nodded.

The two of them jogged off toward the outskirts of Olivine City, and as soon as they did, they hit the grass and began to crawl on their stomachs close to the scene that kept quite a few people away (Volkner had been outside with Ivan when the news was delivered; he had yet to receive orders from his mother to return home, probably for the sole reason of being unable to find him).

They reached the spot where the fight that people all throughout Olivine whispered about was going on.

There were two green Pokemon. One was smaller than the other, but still about human-sized, a pair of small wings on its back and scythes for arms. Its joints were tan, looking a little frail.

But that frailness in its appearance was denied by the sight of its opponent. It was locked in a fierce fight with a large green Pokemon with a blue belly, spikes running down its back and a thick tail.

The scythe-arm Pokemon jumped up and made a slice at the face of the spike-back, and the spike-back jumped back, the ground shaking under its weight. Spike-back placed its arms in front of it, opening its mouth wide. A pulsing beam of black energy was sent toward Scythe-arm, who dove aside to dodge it.

Ivan's eyes shone with a mixture of excitement and fear, and Volkner could smell only the fear from his friend's and his own sweat. He closed his eyes as another jump by Spike-back shook the earth beneath them. He could have sworn he felt the slightly elevated ledge they lay on loosen a little.

The Scythe-arm darted by the Spike-back and dragged an arm across its stomach. It cut open a tough hide slightly, blood splattering the ground in front of it.

Volkner opened his eyes to this and flinched.

"This is so cool, ain't it, Volk?!" Ivan whispered excitedly.

He didn't get an answer. He apparently didn't expect to, as he didn't press the issue further.

Little did Volkner know these would be the last words Ivan Firme would ever speak to him.

Spike-back tried to lash his tail downward as Scythe-arm performed a U-turn, returning to its original spot, and missed. The ground shook, and the ground beneath Volkner and Ivan broke entirely loose and began to plummet.

Volkner and Ivan screamed. They were plummeting right into the battle arena. They weren't that high up, but still, their impact would leave them with a few moments of being winded before they could flee... Volkner was terrified.

The Spike-back, at that time, released another beam of pulsating black energy. It missed and struck their little land-board, and it exploded violently beneath them. Volkner was sent upward with the force: Ivan continued to fall. Volkner saw it happen with his own eyes.

Ivan Firme was propelled forward. He landed right in between the two battling Pokemon, -right- as Scythe-arm was aiming an attack.

The attack hit Ivan instead.

Volkner couldn't scream. He couldn't do a damn thing with the explosion having injured him; he had no breathe left to use. He hit the ground and couldn't get the sight of his best friend being cut through like tissue paper, the ground turning from brown to crimson... and he watched with horror as the two Pokemon ignored his corpse.

Volkner hit the ground with a thud, and lay there, the image embedded in his mind forever. Ivan Firme, cut clean in two.

Ivan Firme, his best friend, dead because of a simple quarrel.

He heard two things before he lost consciousness: the sounds of wheels screeching to a halt, and the sound of what sounded like dart guns.

"A kid- one's dead... hey, this one's got a chest rising! He's alive, get a ****in' ambulance John!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Volkner awoke with a scream. His entire body was soaking wet and filled with a pulsating pain, most of it coming from his aching heart. He saw the image of his best friend once more - the main pain came from his heart. He could tell it wasn't just sweat rolling down his face. He was crying.

He stood up and fingered the Pokeball in his pocket with a scowl.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

"... G-...Gardenia, can we rest, please?" Jasmine asked. Her legs ached miserably from all the walking she had been doing: she wasn't used to this kind of excersise all in one day, having started walking from Hearthome all the way to the Solaceon Ruins and through basically with no rest.

Gardenia herself was tired, so she nodded.

Jasmine leaned up against a wall and allowed its cool surface to cool off her body a bit. She shifted her feet... and felt one sink into the ground, and the wall behind her flip, her along with it.

Within seconds, she was on the other side of the wall. It had been a trap door of sorts - probably designed to trick robbers, she thought.

She stood up and brushed herself off, reaching into the pocket of the shorts she wore beneath her long red dress, pulling out a Pokeball. As she was preparing to release the Pokemon inside, she heard the groan of a familiar voice, whispering curses.

It was Volkner.

"Volkner?" she yelled, her voice high. "Volkner, is that you?"

And, conveniently enough, when she said that, he walked into view.

He was disheveled, his face red and a bit bloody. He was obviously sweaty, and a good bet in Jasmine's eyes would be that he was disoriented.

She ran over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Volkner? Volkner, are you okay...?"

"... I'd bet my life you aren't real," he muttered.

"Then I suppose... then I suppose you'll be dying soon, Volkner," Jasmine responded tensely.

He reached up and brushed her cheek with a raw red hand. He winced at that.

Jasmine's flesh went redder in an instant. The feel of those raw hands brushing against her cheek was almost... pleasant. She stepped back and placed the Pokeball in her hand out in front of her.

"... I s'pose I will be," Volkner murmured, right before collapsing to the ground.

Jasmine gasped, but released the tan Pokemon inside the ball.

"Abbie," Jasmine said. "Take us to Gardenia."

The Abra teleported them to the other side of the wall.

Gardenia turned to face them, seeing Volkner on the floor alongside an Abra, Jasmine towering above the two of them.

"There you are- you found him? Is he okay?" Gardenia gasped.

The Elekid that had been trotting alongside Gardenia ran over to his trainer, his eyes shining with what seemed to be genuine concern.

"I don't know," Jasmine said. "But I believe it's time for Abbie to take us to the Solaceon Town Pokemon Center. Isn't that right Abbie?"

Abbie snored. But they all disappeared, reappearing in a totally different setting. Their surroundings went from yellow to a pale gray, a few people passing by. Solaceon was a small town, so not that many could be expected - but it also meant they almost always had a doctor available.

One happened to be passing by as they teleported in. He was tall with a head of black hair, a white labcoat buttoned up on his torso and a pair of khaki pants covering his lower half. A stethoscope was slung over his shoulder.

"Oh, my!" the man said, running over to them. "Is this boy okay?"

"He was lost in the ruins," Gardenia said quickly. "I'd imagine he's done gotten pretty tired. Plus he's awfully red and a bit bloody."

The man seemed strong, as he knelt by Volkner and carried the thirteen-year-old in his arms. He leaped up and began to move toward the Pokemon Center's desk.

"Yes, ma'am?" the man said. "I'm assuming you'd have a medical room available for us?"

The woman behind the desk, who had been typing up something on her computer, looked at the man and nodded.

"Alright, Doctor Yulmen. Take two-oh-three," she said, reaching beneath the desk then extending a hand, keys now grasped in them.

Doctor Yulmen took them and nodded. "Thank you."

The three of them moved up the steps to the right of the desk to arrive at Room 203.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Volkner began to awaken, feeling pain rush all over his body, as a firm voice rang through his ears.

"I believe your friend will be fine with a few days of rest," it said. "The wounds on his body are few in number, and though his skin will be sore for a while, he's not gonna be in pain for more than a couple hours I imagine."

"That's good..." a shy voice said. Jasmine, Volkner recognized - that shy voice was unmistakable. He kind of liked the sound of it.

"Alright! Our lil' boy'll be just fine, huh?" a thick accent said. Also unmistakable was the annoying voice of Gardenia. "Sucks he'll be sore, but ain't nothin' big, right?"

"Right," the firm voice confirmed. "So, is there anything else you two need?"

"No thank you, sir- Oh, my, he's waking up..."

Volkner, at this point, had sat up and was allowing himself to wake up. He looked at the owner of the firm voice - a doctor.

"Ah, here we go! Good evening, boy," the doctor said. "How are you feeling?"

"... Like -****-," Volkner retorted. Jasmine flushed a deep shade of red, and Gardenia laughed out loud.

"Well, you'll be feeling like **** for a very short time. You oughta take a few days rest, but you should be able to be back to your exploring - as these girls told me got you in this situation - any time you'd like," the doctor said.

Volkner nodded slowly. "Get out," he said. "I'd like to rest some more with my friends."

Gardenia cocked an eyebrow at the phrase. But the doctor nodded.

"Very well. I hope you feel better, Mister.."

"Volkner," Volkner responded. "Volkner Denzi."

"Mister Denzi, then." The doctor smiled and left the room. Oddly enough, Gardenia followed suit.

"Be right back," she said.

So for about five minutes, there were three things major present in that room: Volkner, Jasmine, and an awkward silence.

And then Gardenia returned and sat. Volkner spoke up.

"What happened?"

"Some guy. Sent out his Gallade and it teleported you - we think he was tryin' 'ta kill ya," Gardenia said.

"Figured that much out, genius," Volkner muttered.

"He said it was a bounty."

"... Ah."

"Some guy came back and helped us - said his name was Flint, and he knew everything somehow. Do ya know 'im?" Gardenia asked.

"Never," Volkner said.

"... Right. Well, we told him ya trained primarily electric types, 'cept fer yer Eevee - so he gave ya this," she responded. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a green stone with a yellow thunderbolt indentation, tossing it to Volkner and flinching as she realized what she had just done. "... Er, sorry."

Volkner flinched as the firm stone hit his raw palm, but he nodded. "... Whatever," he said. "What is it?"

"It's a Thunder Stone," Jasmine said. "Thunder Stones can evolve one of two Pokemon I know of - Pikachu or Eevee."

"... Both of which I have," Volkner murmured. "Decisions, decisions."

"Ya ain't gotta use it immediately," Gardenia said.

"But I'm gonna," Volkner responded snappily. He reached into his pocket and looked at the ball for a second - it was Eevee's.

He placed his thumb on the release switch and watched as the ball expanded, sending out a flash of red light onto the floor. A small, brown body appeared, furry with pointed ears and black bead eyes.

But it wouldn't be that way for long. Volkner extended the hand he held the Thunder Stone in, and after a few seconds, Eevee began to glow a faint shade of white.

The whiteness began to grow in intensity. Soon, Eevee was not at all visible, merely a ball of glowing white light.

Then it all faded away.

What stood there was a yellow Pokemon with spiked fur, and a white collar-like patch of fur around its neck. Its eyes had gotten smaller, even more beady now. Like Eevee, it had large pointed ears.

"... Jolteon," a voice said.

Volkner looked to the door to see an all too familiar face there.

Gardenia looked up and smiled. "Mana! C'mon in!"

Jasmine looked up as well and allowed herself a smile. She remained silent, though.

Mana stepped in, her body covered in a long white dress similar to Jasmine's. Her brown hair made her almost indecipherable from her: the only differences being the color of her dress and he style of her hair. It was tied up into a ponytail, while Jasmine's was unstyled.

"Mana, what's up?" Gardenia asked, getting up and wrapping the girl in an embrace. "What're ya doin' here?"

"Oh, it's just... oh, Jasmine, wasn't it? I saw you in the contests in Hearthome... you did good," Mana said, nodding.

"Thank you..." Jasmine said with a smile.

"And this is..." Mana said, glancing at Volkner. She used this moment to glare daggers at him as well; basically telling him not to say a word.

"... V-...Volkner Denzi," Volkner murmured.

Mana extended her left hand. Volkner grabbed it and shook it lightly, and Mana retracted it.

"Nice to meet you, Volkner. I'm Mana, as you've probably figured out..."

Volkner shot her a glance that would make a small child cry. She simply smiled.

"Yeah," Volkner said. "... whatever."

"Be nice, Volkner," Gardenia chided.

"No, no, it's okay, Gardenia," Mana replied. "He introduced himself. Nice enough for me. So, what have you been up to?"

"Been travelin' with Volkner 'n' Jasmine here," Gardenia said. "Headin' back to Pastoria so Jasmine can catch a boat back to her home in Olivine."

Volkner had no idea of this. Jasmine was from Olivine?

"Thought we were headed for Veilstone," Volkner piped in.

"In the process we'll be stoppin' by there, yeah," Gardenia said. "Thought I told ya Pastoria was our destination though..."

Volkner wondered for a moment when she became the leader of their little group, but he sighed. Not like he could argue it anyway.

Jolteon leaped up on the bed next to Volkner and sat there. Volkner sighed and returned the Pokemon, before laying back on it and closing his eyes.

"So then, what're ya doin' out here, Mana?" Gardenia asked.

"Well, I was kind of hoping I could ask you guys a favor," Mana said. "You see, I've been traveling around taking the Pokemon Gym Challenge. I was kind of hoping I could join you guys in traveling around for a bit - it's always good experience for a trainer to have company, yes?"

Volkner's eyes shot open.

... Oh ****.

Gardenia got to her feet and embraced Mana again. "Of course! We're heading around to two cities that have gyms with 'em - we'll be more than happy to let ya join us! Right, Jasmine? Volkner?"

Jasmine nodded. Volkner put up a shaky thumb and immediately drew it back down again. He hadn't meant to do that - he didn't know what made him. He opened his mouth to speak out a firm no, but Gardenia's overexcited squeal quieted him.

He sighed and wondered just what the hell he had gotten himself into.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Chapter 10. Sitting here at six thirty A.M. Been up since three thirty A.M. Been writing since four o'clock A.M.

*blink* Jesus.

#1TransendTrainer

PANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
poor Volkner. Manas not gonna make this easy 4 him now will she?
i think im enjoying Volkners pain 2 much.....

D. Scott

You think I would write it if I didn't enjoy Volkner's pain? =p It's funnn.~

Of course Mana isn't gonna make it easy!

Just wanted to let you guys know that the first post has a link to every chapter now. More organization! Yay!

D. Scott

SINNOH STORIES
THE LEGEND OF VOLKNER

Chapter 11:
Shoot for the Stars

Volkner slipped carefully out of his bed, his eyes drooping to half-way being shut. The idea of sleep right now was a welcome one, but he didn't quite know if he'd be able to get it. So instead, he would approach the one person he knew was awake.

She sat in her bed, the light of a lamp illuminating it, a book in hand. As his feet hit the ground, she noticed him, and glared away from her reading.

"Might I ask what's troubling you, Volkner?" she asked.

"You know what it is," Volkner retorted. And he knew she did.

"The dreams of your friend? Or me?" A tone of legitimate curiosity was evident in her voice, and Volkner let loose a frustrated groan.

So she knew of his dreams.

"Of course I do," she responded. "You should know me better than that by now." A grin had crossed her lips, met by a scowl from Volkner.

"Yeah. I suppose so," Volkner said and sat at the edge of her bed. His gaze was piercing; her's soft and soothing. But the soothing effect would not work on him today. It would not work on him ever again.

"Tell me, Volkner," Mana said. "Have you figured it out yet?"

Volkner stared at her for a few seconds, then slowly shook his head. "Tell me."

"I can't quite do that," she responded. "Of course, I could, but... well, it would kind of ruin the point."

Volkner clenched the sheets in his left hand, gritting his teeth. "Don't play with me, girl."

Mana placed a hand over her mouth to stifle an oncoming giggle. "Do you really think I'd talk so cryptically to you, Volkner? I have no idea what you're so angry about."

She did, he knew: she was just playing with him. And it was at that point that Mana lifted a hand and pointed toward Volkner's pocket: his cell phone began to ring. He glared at Mana, and then stood up and walked to a quiet corner, opened up the phone, hit a button and began to speak.

"This is Volkner Denzi speaking," he said. "Who is this, calling at... two fifteen A.M.? Better be good."

"You sound pretty awake to me, Volkner," the voice said.

Volkner's eyes widened. He recognized the voice immediately.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Cyrus slid a hand against the rock wall as he walked by it, his other hand busy pressing his phone against his ear. A grin was spread across his lips. The sound of a friend's voice was a comfort: for he was alone, but he would be joining the others soon. He wanted to introduce his ideas to the other boy first... for a boy who suffered so, he could tell, would be glad to hear the news.

"Hello, Volkner," Cyrus continued. "It's been a little while, hasn't it?"

"... Cyrus," Volkner muttered. "Hey. Where have you been?"

"Exploring. Learning. I learned some great things."

"Well, good for you... is it important, Cyrus? Can it wait 'till the morning?"

"It is important. I'll cut straight to the point," Cyrus said. "One of the things I learned was a legend. A Legend of a group of five Pokemon: they are the beings of emotion, will power, wisdom, and those who control space and time. Mesprit, Azelf, Uxie, Palkia and Dialga."

"Okay..." Volkner said. "Your point is?"

"My point is, that when Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie are gathered together, they can easily control the duo of Palkia and Dialga. With those three, one can control space and time's lords."

"... Did you call to give me a bedtime story, Cyrus?" Volkner muttered. Annoyance was obvious in his voice.

"No. You don't get it, do you? If one can capture those three and summon the duo, they can reshape the universe to their ideals... I want to do it, Volkner."

"... You're insane, Cyrus," Volkner said. "How do you plan on doing something like that?"

"I don't know yet. I just know I don't plan on doing it alone. I know for a fact that I can't," Cyrus said. His grin widened to the point of where he thought his lips would stretch and burst. "Which is why I want to make a proposition to you."

"Is that so?" Volkner asked. "And what would that be?"

"I'm going to form a team. It's going to have to be huge, like the Rocket Gang of Kanto - it'll be shunned. It will be criminal. But to defy the law is a cost well-worth it; this team is going to work toward capturing these five Pokemon. And when we do, I will destroy this world."

"Destroy it, Cyrus? What?"

"Destroy it and then reshape it. The world will begin anew under the names of Akagi and Denzi - we will reform the world so that it will be forever without strife. Without suffering. Without pain. We will do the world a great favor, Volkner! Join me as a co-leader... a co-leader to the gang that will shoot to the stars!"

"... You're utterly insane, C-cyrus," Volkner whispered suddenly. He had gotten a reaction to this incident. Perhaps it was awe.

"... Call me back some time soon, Volkner. Take your time to think it over. Introduce it to the woman... uhm, Gardenia, wasn't it? We three can talk it over, perfect the idea. What do you say-"

Cyrus was met with a harsh click. Volkner had hung up on him... it was slightly frustrating, he had to admit, but he supposed not all had the capacity of mind to understand his plan like he did. He would give him time to think it over.

And if he denied him... well, Cyrus didn't know what he would do.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Volkner snapped his phone shut and thrust it into his pocket, eyes wide. He couldn't recall, but the terminology of what Cyrus had said sounded oddly familiar to him.

He glared over to Mana, who was staring back at him. He walked over to her and sat down at the edge of the bed once again.

"Who was it?" she asked teasingly.

"... You know who it was," Volkner murmured.

"Actually, I really don't - I'm not quite -that- talented."

"... It was Cyrus," he said. "A friend."

She cocked an eyebrow, and a bit of harshness suddenly entered her eyes. Very uncharacteristic of her. "The boy who was in the Valley Windworks with you?"

"Yeah. We traveled for a bit - hey, how did you know about that?" Volkner asked. It was, for some reason, surprising to him.

"Even people like me read newspapers, Volkner," she said.

"... Right," Volkner said. "... Anyways, we traveled for a bit, then Cyrus decided to go his own way and us our own."

Mana simply nodded. "Go back to bed, Volkner."

Oddly enough, Volkner found himself wishing to listen. He slipped off the edge of Mana's bed and over toward his own, where he laid his head down on the pillow and shut his eyes.

But he did not get a wink of sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

The four traveling trainers slipped out of the Pokemon Center early the next morning: Gardenia peppy and excited, Jasmine her usual calm and happy demeanor, Mana being the same. Only Volkner was in a bad mood, trudging out of the Solaceon Town Pokemon Center with absolutely no rest from the previous night. His mind was too focused on other things.

So, because of him, the group moved oddly slow.

"C'mon, Volkner," Gardenia whined. "Let's pick up the pace! Put one foot in front'a the other! Left, left, left right left! 'n' whatever other fancy ways of sayin' walk yer butt faster I forgot."

Volkner glared daggers at her. She shut up.

Eventually, the four of them reached a three-way road. To the north, they spotted two things: One, a building with a sign above it, stating "Mooman's Travelin' Trainer's Respite" and below it "Resterant". Gardenia laughed at the blatant misspelling of restaurant. Second, a field of tall, healthy looking grass.

To the east, a set of steps carved out of dirt. They could see a bit of rainfall in the distance there.

To the west, a path in which they would have to climb a small ledge to get past. With Volkner with them, that was virtually impossible.

So the four of them headed inside "Mooman's Travelin' Trainer's Respite 'Resterant'", and found it rather empty. At the most, about five people were inside other than themselves, and three of them were waitresses, one behind the counter.

They moved over to a table and sat down, waiting for one of the waitresses to come over. They sat in silence, even as she dashed over to them and laid out five menus - one for each of them, and one labeled "Pokemon Food" in the center of the table. Jasmine was the first one to reach for it, while the others flipped open their people-food menus.

After about ten minutes, they got their food - Pokemon and people alike.

Jasmine released three Pokemon: Abigail the Abra, Benjamin the Butterfree - a large blue-skinned Pokemon with big red eyes and striped white wings - and her own Magnemite, Margaret.

Gardenia released three as well: Her Tangela, her Turtwig, and her Roselia.

Mana released a single Pokemon: a Kirlia, which twirled around as it moved toward its bowl of food.

Volkner, of course, released Chuseph, Elekid and Jolteon, and all of them began to eat.

Volkner regarded his Pokemon with a scowl. Such adorable little devils; cute when they needed to be, but devils when they weren't. It wasn't until he felt the soft touch of a hand on his shoulder that he realized just how open he had made his dislike of the small, cute scene of furry creatures having their little meal.

"Cute, aren't they...?" a voice said, and he looked up to identify it as Jasmine's. She wore a simple smile that seemed to lighten up the whole room, and for a moment, Volkner couldn't think of a come back - he was absorbed in her visage. But he broke out of the spell and muttered something beneath his breath.

"... Foul little bastards," he muttered.

Jasmine looked at him like he was growing lobsters from his ears. "Excuse me?"

Just then, a voice interrupted the little scene.

"Well hiya there - just look who it is!" Gardenia exclaimed.

And God be damned, Volkner thought. If it ain't Cyrus - and he's got a friend.

As he looked up to examine the two who had approached the table, Cyrus and this red-headed girl accompanying him, Volkner sighed and stood up.

"Closer than you let on, huh, Cyrus?" he said.

"Just a coincidence, Volkner - a pleasant one, though, wouldn't you agree?" Cyrus responded.

For now, Volkner would be polite as to not risk getting his *** handed to him on a silver platter by Gardenia. "... Yeah. I suppose so."

Gardenia spoke up next. "C'mon Cyrus, find yerself and yer friend a chair! Sit down and talk fer a bit!"

Cyrus nodded and did so, him pulling up next to Volkner, carefully avoiding his Pokemon still eating close by. His friend pulled up next to Gardenia, smoothing out her gray skirt before doing so.

"So, how've ya been, Cyrus?" Gardenia asked. "See ya've been travelin' some." Her eyes moved to the light smears of dirt on his clothing.

"Yes - I moved almost immediately through Mt. Coronet after I separated from you two. Made my way up to Celestic Town where I met Marsha here, and then we went back down through here and decided to stop for a bite to eat... and, we come upon you... four. My, the group has widened considerably since I left, hasn't it?"

Gardenia nodded. "I s'pose an introductory session is in order! Let's all introduce ourselves. No unfamiliar faces should leave this restaurant this evenin', 'kay? I'll start us off - my name's Gardenia! From Eterna City."

The friend of Cyrus spoke up next. "Marsha. But please," she said as she glared at Cyrus. "Call me Mars. From Celestic Town."

"Sorry, I keep forgetting..." Cyrus said, a bit of embarrassment evident in his voice.

Mana spoke up next. "Mana Aname, from Hearthome City."

Cyrus widened his eyes a bit, the only one who knew Volkner's real history. He continued the pattern, despite this. "C-...Cyrus, from Sunyshore City."

"Wow, that's a long way's off," Gardenia said.

"Yeah..." Cyrus responded.

Volkner was next. "Volkner, from Nunya."

"Don't be rude, Volkner!" Gardenia said.

"It's okay, it's okay..." Cyrus butted in. "It's alright if he doesn't want to say..."

Jasmine finished off the process. "I'm... uhm, Jasmine, from Olivine City."

"Johto?" Mars asked. "... Even longer way off. Wow. Got some real travelers among us, huh?"

Gardenia grinned and nodded. "Really."

Volkner stared at the variety of people around him, and wanted to get up and scream. He was tired, frustrated and now stuck in one hell of a position: Really, could his luck get any worse?

Last edited:

#1TransendTrainer

PANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
'Resterant'"
restaurant

Volkner was next. "Volkner, from Nunya."
oddly enough,i respect that

i wondered wat u wud call Mars wen she was introduced

You're utterly insane, C-cyrus," Volkner whispered suddenly
looks like Stutter the Boy Wonder had returned
i liked Cyrus's & Volkner's phone conversation.

D. Scott

restaurant

Restaurant was misspelled purposefully there, remember? The sign.

oddly enough,i respect that

XD

i wondered wat u wud call Mars wen she was introduced

Marsha was the only name I could think of that could possibly have the nickname Mars, sooo...

looks like Stutter the Boy Wonder had returned

I know, right? :eek:

i liked Cyrus's & Volkner's phone conversation.

Me too. Was fun to write - Cyrus first introducing his plans.

Thanks for the feedback!

D. Scott

SINNOH STORIES
THE LEGEND OF VOLKNER

Chapter 12: Proposition

Cyrus leaned in on the table, propping his elbows up and turning his palms skyward to hold his head. An oddly childish sort of action for the super-serious guy, Gardenia found it a bit disturbing; a sixth sense informing her of what was to come, perhaps, she thought.

He grinned. It was giddy, simple and happy, as he looked at her. It made her shrink back a bit.

The tension was now so thick it was almost tangible. Volkner's gaze firmly focused upon Cyrus, Jasmine's somewhat nervous, Mana's usual calm and soothing demeanor now looking to be as tough as a brick wall. Only Mars seemed normal to Gardenia - and that was only because she didn't know the girl well.

Cyrus spoke up.

"Gardenia, has Volkner informed you of my phone call? I made it last night to him - and told him to tell you about it," he started. "But I get the feeling he hasn't."

Gardenia cocked an eyebrow. "No, he hadn't. Then again, that's Volkner for ya."

Cyrus nodded. He moved his hands back down toward his lap. "Of course. I figured he wouldn't - well then, let me inform you. I have a proposition."

Gardenia nodded in return. "Go on."

"As I left your group for my own purposes, I did so because I came upon an inscription in Mt. Coronet's walls," he said. "An inscription made by what appears to be ancient Sinnohan people... I had a bit of a time deciphering it, but I managed to get a broken message: 'He...conquers...trio...conquer...world'. Beneath it were drawings; three small pictures of tailed creatures, and two larger ones. The three tailed creatures were connected by a line, forming an upside-down triangle. The tip of the upside-down triangle drew a line that split in two down to the two larger creatures. I drew the conclusion that they were Pokemon. Are you following me?"

Gardenia nodded again. She didn't understand where he was going with the story though - and she hadn't painted a picture of Cyrus in her mind as the archaeology-inspired type. But she supposed she hadn't known him that well either.

"So, I went to a local town - actually accessible through a bike, if you're enough of a daredevil, in the path we were heading, hence how I got there - and looked it up in their library with the assistance of a librarian. She herself was married to an archaeologist... talk about luck, huh? Anyways, she recognized these immediately as a legend of Mt. Coronet - that atop it, there is a ancient building called the Spear Pillar, where, if one gathers the three legendary Pokemon Azelf, Mesprit, and Uxie, they would be able to summon the legendary Pokemon Dialga and Palkia... lords of Time and Space. It made sense then. I was able to decipher the whole thing through hearing this legend... 'He who conquers the trio, conquers the world'. It made sense... the trio of Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie could summon Dialga and Palkia, and through conquering Space and Time, one could easily control the entire Earth."

Gardenia's gaze grew weary. She didn't want to think what she was thinking, but what Cyrus was leading up to sounded an awful lot like what she was thinking he was going to suggest.

"But, of course, there goes the concept of conquering the Earth if people rebel it. But with further research, I managed to deduce a solution to this too!" Cyrus's glee was apparently hard to contain then... it was almost leaking through his pores as a tangible substance. Gardenia could almost smell it.

"... and this is?" Jasmine piped up. Gardenia cast a glance at her, surprised by her speaking up. Her tone sounded a bit shaky.

"The trio are the source of human function in the legends! It makes even more sense, then! Uxie is the source of humanity's wisdom, Mesprit is the source of humanity's emotion, and Azelf is the source of humanity's willpower. With the three of them under one's control, all three things could be under that same person's grip!"

"... Scary, isn't it?" Mars said. "But wait 'till you hear Cyrus's idea!"

Gardenia glanced at Volkner, who seemed to be reddening. Then she looked at Mana, who grew tougher in her demeanor, a stone coldness evident in her eyes.

"Yes," Cyrus said. "It's frightening if it falls into the wrong hands... but I have ideas. What if someone where to use these powers for the purpose of good...? Say... to destroy this world as we know it? And rebuild it? Rebuild it so that it would be without the emotions that plague us?!"

He sounded almost ecstatic at the thought. Gardenia could feel a rage bubbling up inside her.

"Eliminate anger! Eliminate lust! Eliminate all earthly wants - create a world without the strife that causes wars! Causes death, causes pain! It sounds wonderful, does it not? Gardenia, I told Volkner last night that my plans... are to perform this. Create this ideal world. Create a Galactic Sanctuary, where no man suffers. But I can not do such a tremendous undertaking on my own. I will require help, and Marsha-"

"Mars," Mars interrupted.

"Sorry, Mars, is the first volunteer to help with this. But we will form a team, a gang like the Rockets of Kanto - but with much nobler cause. We will break laws. But the benefits will outweigh the negatives such as that... we will call ourselves Team Galactic: the team for the Galactic Sanctuary. I would like you and Volkner to become higher-ups in the group: not necessarily co-leaders, but executives, within the top five people. What do you say, Gardenia? Volkner?"

Gardenia hated the idea. The world was fine as it was - sure, certain things made it a bit difficult to live in, but those things were things she was willing to live in. She was happy with her life, and she was happy with the world.

And she was about to voice this opinion, until she heard the sound of a chair scraping against wooden floor, and the fabric of a soft dress brush up against her arm. Jasmine had stood, her gaze uncharacteristically authoritative and almost frightening. She spoke up.

"... Cyrus, I don't know you much at all," she said. "But I've already come to disagree with you. Your ideas are heartful and kind, but you -must- realize that they can not work. To rid the world of anger, pain, lust and the like, you'd have to overwrite all emotions. We would live in an emotionless world and I can't help do anything but hate that! I'd rather see the world as it is, than go through such tragedy."

Cyrus stood up to match her.

"... I didn't include that for a reason. I admit. I know this to be true - but I would rather see no emotion at all than painful ones. It is the only way to fix our horrible, smitten world!" he exclaimed.

"You must have one hell of an issue with people, Cyrus," Gardenia stated, standing up as well. "'cause I can't see why anyone would go through such insane measures. Bad things leave scars sometimes, but just 'cause they do, doesn't mean you don't have the option 'ta just forget 'em! You -will- get over it."

Volkner stood up next. He apparently decided to take the more direct route of telling Cyrus that he was thinking too high, a bit too high up on his mental pedestal.

Because his route was cocking back his elbow and then thrusting a fist straight into the blue-haired boy's face.

Cyrus was sent sprawling back onto the wooden floor with a thud, his head hitting the ground. He lay there for a moment, groaning, a steady trickle of scarlet coming from his nose. The skin on his nose was a bright red, obviously prone to swelling very soon. He stood up a second later, and glared daggers at Volkner.

Volkner grinned from ear to ear. Gardenia stood there, watching the incident with awe.

"You're insane, Cyrus," Volkner said.

"... In-...insanity is a matter of perspective to me, Volkner," Cyrus responded. "You may disagree with me now, but I will prove that what I say is what is the best!"

"Ego problems, much?" Volkner retorted. "'What I say goes'. **** that. This world ****ing sucks, but, hell... for some insane reason, I don't think I'd have it any other way. Anything other than sucky is kinda boring."

Cyrus rushed forward, arms outstretched. He slammed into Volkner, sending the two of them toppling to the floor. The waitresses in the area had all rushed away, presumably a bit frightened by the fight - and it struck Gardenia that they might be calling local authorities. She watched for a few more moments as Cyrus and Volkner wrestled each other on the ground, before walking over to them and delivering a firm kick toward Cyrus's stomach the moment she saw it exposed.

"Volkner," she said. "Get up."

Volkner listened, surprisingly. Cyrus was supporting himself by his knees and a single palm, his other hands grasping his stomach.

"It's time for us to get out of here," Gardenia said. "Volkner, leave a fifty on the table for the bill. Overpayin', but I say who the hell cares right now. Mars, I'd suggest you help Cyrus up and leave too."

Volkner reached into his pockets and pulled out a fifty dollar bill, set it on the table and then recalled his three Pokemon. Gardenia, Jasmine and Mana followed suit in returning their Pokemon, and the four of them headed toward the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

four days later

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

Volkner stared at what remained of his fortune in the pockets of his wallet, a desperate sadness in his eyes. A grand total of two hundred Pokedollars out of the three thousand that he had gone into the department store with.

He leaned up against the wall of the department store, zipped his wallet shut and slipped it back into his bag. He sighed, and watched the people walk by on the streets of Veilstone City, at a slightly lower elevation than them, for the department store rested on a hill. He supposed the spending spree was for good reason - a lot of it was toward supplies, an awful lot of dried Pokechow and canned people food, as well as a few advanced pieces of technology for the four of them, including new phones and small rectangular-shaped devices called Pokedexes.

"Hey, hey," Mana said as she approached him. She had been standing from a bit of a distance, but now leaned up against the wall with him, a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry about the cash. I have an awful lot stored up in the bank. And, you know, with modern technology, we can withdraw it anywhere."

"Yeah, I suppose," Volkner muttered. "... But still, twenty-eight hundred in one sitting? ****ing amazing how well you women can spend."

This earned him a light slap against the back of the head. Oddly enough, it cheered him up a bit, and he grinned.

The two of them were waiting while Jasmine and Gardenia checked out a place for possible free lodging for the four of them. And just at that moment, Gardenia could be seen walking up to them and slowly nodding her head in confirmation.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

"I... I can't thank you enough, Miss Adamson," Jasmine said. "Your hospitality is amazing."

"Mattie, Jasmine!" the woman corrected her. "Remember? Please, I don't like the formalities. You're more than welcome here any time you'd like, as are your friends."

A little girl at Mattie's side nodded slowly, her pink hair bouncing as her head moved. "Any time, any time!" she exclaimed happily.

Jasmine grinned and knelt down, extending her arms. "Aw, I'll remember it, May," she said. The little girl rushed forward and embraced Jasmine, and Jasmine returned it gently.

The girl then broke the embrace, and waggled her finger in an adorable disapproval. "I decided that I wanna be called by my full name from now on. May is my little name! 'n' I'm getting bigger!"

Volkner, in the sidelines, massaged his temples. Why couldn't they just stay at a freaking Pokemon Center? It was a big city, Volkner realized, abuzz with trainer activity, which meant that the Pokemon Center required a small fee, but it was much more worth it to him. He never would understand these girls.

"Oh, I see," Jasmine responded. "Alright then - let me rephrase that... I'll remember that, Maylene."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~​

The next day, only two of the group of four were left in the house. They would be staying another night, but two of the four of them had business in the city that needed to be taken care of.

Namely, Volkner and Mana were headed toward the Veilstone City Gym. They currently walked the streets of the city, speaking in low tones of voice, just barely audible to each other.

"I have a question, Volkner," Mana said. "Do you understand now?"

"Partially," Volkner responded. "I understand... you dropped me in here to take care of the blue annoyance, right?"

Mana nodded.

"One thing I don't understand, is why. But I suppose you're not going to reveal that to me, are you?" he said.

Mana shook her head.

"Thought not. Another thing I don't understand is how you knew he was going to go and do what he's doing. But I suppose you're not going to reveal that to me either, are you?"

"In due time," Mana said. "In due time."

The two of them reached the gym a few seconds later. It had an odd appearance compared to the usual image of a Pokemon Gym: it was made of wood, first thing off. It had a sign above it, also wood, hanging from two rusted metal poles, reading "GYM" in peeling red paint. It also had no door, and even though it was perfect daylight outside, the two of them couldn't see an ounce of anything but sheer darkness inside.

Volkner folded his arms over his chest and moved toward the door. Mana followed suit.

Last edited:

#1TransendTrainer

PANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
"Yeah, I suppose," Volkner muttered. "... But still, twenty-eight hundred in one sitting? ****ing amazing how well you women can spend."
we sure do!

Marsha-"

"Mars," Mars interrupted.
do i smell a running gag?

Cyrus rushed forward, arms outstretched. He slammed into Volkner, sending the two of them toppling to the floor. The waitresses in the area had all rushed away, presumably a bit frightened by the fight - and it struck Gardenia that they might be calling local authorities. She watched for a few more moments as Cyrus and Volkner wrestled each other on the ground, before walking over to them and delivering a firm kick toward Cyrus's stomach the moment she saw it exposed.
me & my luv 4 violence

btw,i am notorious 4 accidentally skipping words/complete lines which is how i missed the misspelling joke

Last edited:

Breezy

Warm, sticky; blood.
Hmm ... replace the semicolon with a regular colon.

He continued to crawl despite it. His muscles ached, his skin was agonizingly searing, and the world around him was full of chaos. But he couldn't tell a thing.
I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence. In reference to him not feeling the stuff you listed earlier in this paragraph? I guess I found it kind of weird that he seems to be aware of his bodily ... issues then you throw in a “Wait, he can't tell” sort of line. I think. Not sure.

But he only knew he hated that blue-haired man riding on the head of the beast, because that blue-haired man was the controller of that beast and the beast had done this. He had done it all, and he wanted to make the blue-haired man pay.
Personally, I would get rid of the “but” since the sentence before it also started with a “but.” (That and you're not really contrasting anything.) Anyway, the problem with having two nameless characters of the same sex is that you have to use the same pronouns (“he” in this case) so it gets confusing to who you're referencing. Of course, people can use their better judgment and assume that “he” = blue-haired man in certain contexts, but it might be better to try and only use “he” for the hurting character and “blue-haired man” for the ... blue-haired man. (I do get why you did it, though; “blue-haired man” does get repetitive. =P)

“Child, come with me!” she nearly screamed. The boy was unable to follow her wishes, though... he couldn't move on his own anymore. His body was writhing with the white-hot pain, the agony of damaged tissue and the acrid smell of smoking flesh.
No need for the “the” in bold. Also, nice description. Er, in the creepy, holy crap sort of way.

It was nice to see Mana again and to see how she works, as bizarre as she is. T'was an interesting prediction by Celebi (I'm going to guess Cyrus and Volkner). And yay, Flint is possibly coming soon. I totally forgot that Flint and Volkner seemed to be close friends in the games, so I'm super intrigued on how you're going to have them interact with each other.

I also like how Flint is oddly romantic in his dreams. Haha.

Anyway, onward to chapter whatever is after this!

But it was the least of his concerns; it was a bit more important that, towering above him was a Gallade, its elbow-blades barred fiercely as if it was intent on slitting Volkner's throat with them.
No need for the comma after “that.” Kind of jumbles the sentence if you keep it.

He had been taken here to die an agonizingly slow death.
Hurrah! (Kinda.)

Snake-girl seemed a little hesitant, but she too returned her Pokemon after the caramel brown girl did as well.
Bahaha, snake-girl.

"Heh. Attacking two innocent little ladies, eh?" Flint said between breaths. "I oughta beat your butt into the ground for such a heinous crime."
Ah, so Flint is definitely more “Ladies' man” compared to Volkner and Cyrus.

Mags opened up his mouth, looked skyward, and shot three bursts of a chunky looking liquid upward into the sky, where it came raining down: Gardevoir teleported out of the way, and the lava landed on the ground with a hot hiss. Gallade lifted up his arm to provide a protective shield... and Flare was hit with the third.
Lava plume sounds a lot like vomiting. =P I like it, though; your battle descriptions are pretty unique things in themselves.

The intensity of the orange aura around Flare's body increased, and he slammed right into an unsuspecting Galade made too busy to dodge by the flames pouring down on him, knocking him down to his knees and eventually right onto his face.
Missed an “l” in “Gallade.”

it's skin, dark and leathery.
Its. “It's” is a contraction for “it is” if that helps.

"Hounds, c'mere," Flint said and then knelt down to whisper something in his ear. The hound nodded and ran over toward the battle field.
So Hounds for a Houndour, Flare for a Flareon, and Mags for a Magmar. Flint is possibly the most creative nickname giver ever. I probably should have suspected that with calling Jasmine “Snake Girl” though. =P

"... Understood. It's -your- bounty," the man muttered.
Is it bad that I misread “bounty” as “booty?” XP

It sat there after being released, staring at him curiously, its black eyes wide and almost adorable enough to the point where Volkner smiled. It was a he, Volkner believed.

"... Hey little guy," Volkner murmured, allowing himself to extend a hand. "You get the wonderful ****in' company of good ol' me in this god damned place."

Despite his foul language, Eevee didn't seem to mind and ended up approaching Volkner's hand, gently rubbing his head against his palm. And oddly enough, Volkner found himself liking it.

He shuddered and drew his hand away. "... Don't think you'll get that often," he muttered. Eevee replied by plopping soundly down onto the stone floor and staring up at Volkner happily.

"Veee!~" it chirped.

Volkner smiled, then reversed it. What the hell? He was becoming rather attracted to the little guy already -- he'd have to fix that. He slipped his thumb onto the release/return switch of his Pokeball, and returned the brown-furred critter before getting up and continuing to explore the area.
This scene was adorable. Was nice to see Volkner in a bit of a different light and then his disgust after realizing wtf he had just done.

Flint moved past her and tossed something backward. "Fine. But if yer guy is really an electric-buff like you say he is, take it to him. I found it explorin' the place, and I don't need it, sooo..."

Flint walked off, Mags walking happily beside him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gardenia looked at the object with a bit of awe. It was a light green stone with a yellow indentation in the middle in the shape of a thunderbolt.

She sighed, pocketing it and turning toward Jasmine. "Alright," she said. "Let's go find ourselves a Volkner."
I don't think you need the scene break there, actually. You already stated that Flint is out of the picture (for now), so separating the scene with him and the girls and the scene of just the girls with a scene break seems kind of ... redundant.

Anyway, neat chapter to tie up chapter eight's loose ends. Glad Volkner is all right (for now), though I wonder why he was dropped off there in the first place. I also wonder who this guy was and why he only battled Jasmine and Gardenia instead of throwing them with Volkner.

I like Flint; he definitely seems to be a bit more experienced in battle with the tactic he tried to pull earlier (by the way, have I told you how much I like your battle sequences? They're never boring and you always seem to throw in some interesting spin in them. So many writers just have the trainers bark commands without thinking of strategy, so I'm super glad you incorporated some sort of tactic). I can't help but wonder why he seemed so determined to help these girls because of that dream but didn't seem to fight with them in order to stay and help Volkner. But I have a feeling we'll see him soon anyway. =P

He couldn't do a damn thing with the explosion having injured him; he had no breathe left to use. He hit the ground and couldn't get the sight of his best friend being cut through like tissue paper, the ground turning from brown to crimson... and he watched with horror as the two Pokemon ignored his corpse.
Breath instead of breathe. This is horrifying, and in some ways I'm glad you didn't go into extreme detail. Even with the few details you do have, you still get how terrifying it must be to be in Volkner's position.

Volkner hit the ground with a thud, and lay there, the image embedded in his mind forever. Ivan Firme, cut clean in two.
My face is literally D:

Her legs ached miserably from all the walking she had been doing: she wasn't used to this kind of excersise all in one day, having started walking from Hearthome all the way to the Solaceon Ruins and through basically with no rest.
“Exercise” instead of “excersise”

"That's good..." a shy voice said. Jasmine, Volkner recognized - that shy voice was unmistakable. He kind of liked the sound of it.

"Alright! Our lil' boy'll be just fine, huh?" a thick accent said. Also unmistakable was the annoying voice of Gardenia. "Sucks he'll be sore, but ain't nothin' big, right?"
Haha, love this bit. You can pretty much sum up the relationship between Volkner and Jasmine and Volkner and Gardenia with these two paragraphs.

Loads of information with this chapter. The scene with Volkner and Ivan was especially eye-opening and horrifying; I figure it was this event that made Volkner see pokemon in the way he does now. I liked that scene a lot since it seemed to demonstrate your writing ability. You characterized Volkner in a more innocent way (I can't help but wonder what he would be like if he never saw that happening), so his reaction to the events happening before him made it all the more terrifying. Likewise, the actual physical description wasn't stomach-turning but you still got the basic gist of how gruesome and scary it was, especially when Ivan was attacked.
Also, it's nice that Volkner, even as a younger kid, usually winds up in a hospital if he stays outdoors for too long. Haha.

Oh and yet another hospital visit! This seems to be a running gag now. =P Still amusing stuff. What will it take to kill this kid?

Should be interesting to see Mana interact with Volkner in a more ... real-world way (or whatever). Already he seems bitter. I wonder if he'll be able to keep his **** together.

"The dreams of your friend? Or me?" A tone of legitimate curiosity was evident in her voice, and Volkner let loose a frustrated groan.

So she knew of his dreams.

"Of course I do," she responded. "You should know me better than that by now." A grin had crossed her lips, met by a scowl from Volkner.
So she can read minds too? D:

I like Mana. I know when I read the prologue, I thought it was Jasmine you were referring to, and in a way it kind of was, at least physically wise. Technically, I seem to like any character that grinds Volkner the wrong way, just because I love seeing his reaction. (Though that isn't to say I don't like the awkward, silent moments between Volkner and Jasmine – those are amusing in their own way.)

"I'm going to form a team. It's going to have to be huge, like the Rocket Gang of Kanto - it'll be shunned. It will be criminal. But to defy the law is a cost well-worth it; this team is going to work toward capturing these five Pokemon. And when we do, I will destroy this world."
Was Team Galactic originally suppose to appear criminal? I mean, I know they were, what with blowing up lakes and taking over businesses, but I felt like they wanted to disguise themselves as something good in order to not be pried into too much. I know they had commercials playing on TV in the Jubilife area.
Eventually, the four of them reached a three-way road. To te north, they spotted two things:
The

Volkner stared at the variety of people around him, and wanted to get up and scream. He was tired, frustrated and now stuck in one hell of a position: Really, could his luck get any worse?
Yes.
Some complicated stuff with this one; it seems like Volkner is juggling so many secrets along with figuring out which person knows whatever secret, like Cyrus being the only one knowing who Mana is, and Volker, Cyrus, and possibly Mars (like the spin on her name, btw) knowing about Cyrus' new goal. There were some intriguing conversations going on, especially with Volkner and Mana. I also kind of like the small bit of dialogue between Jasmine and Volkner; I figure his attitude toward pokemon is eventually going to be noticed by sweet little Jasmine, and I have a feeling she's not going to like it.

I think Volkner mentioned this earlier himself, but I like how Gardenia is slowly taking control of the group and becoming its new leader, though possibly not surprising since Volkner is an idiot at times and Jasmine is shy. She's like the moral compass of the group in some ways. Plus her accent is awesome.

He grinned. It was giddy, simple and happy, as he looked at her. It made her shrink back a bit.
It is an interesting contrast, this so-giddy-it's-almost-creepy Cyrus compared to his quiet, but logical, self. Glad Gardenia immediately picked up on his bizarre attitude change.

"Eliminate anger! Eliminate lust! Eliminate all earthly wants - create a world without the strife that causes wars! Causes death, causes pain! It sounds wonderful, does it not? Gardenia, I told Volkner last night that my plans... are to perform this. Create this ideal world. Create a Galactic Sanctuary, where no man suffers. But I can not do such a tremendous undertaking on my own. I will require help, and Marsha-"
I like this bit. I know it seems bizarre to say that, but I've read so many stories where they make Cyrus' plan seem like a bad idea with bad intentions when really he does have some sort of good intention in there, even if the plan itself is insane.

"You must have one hell of an issue with people, Cyrus," Gardenia stated, standing up as well. "'cause I can't see why anyone would go through such insane measures. Bad things leave scars sometimes, but just 'cause they do, doesn't mean you don't have the option 'ta just forget 'em! You -will- get over it."
I do kind of hope you go into Cyrus' childhood/past experiences in the same way you did with Volkner since he is such a complicated character. But I wouldn't put it past you not to do that anyway.

You know, I can't help but marvel at how you said Cyrus was kind of randomly placed with the group and how well it worked out. (Do you have this story planned out or are you rolling with the punches? Lol.) I think having him friends with at least Volkner and Gardenia makes it more realistic that he would ask his friends for help instead of him just randomly asking strangers.

Volkner stood up next. He apparently decided to take the more direct route of telling Cyrus that he was thinking too high, a bit too high up on his mental pedestal.

Because his route was cocking back his elbow and then thrusting a fist straight into the blue-haired boy's face.
Bahaha. Nice.

"It's time for us to get out of here," Gardenia said. "Volkner, leave a fifty on the table for the bill. Overpayin', but I say who the hell cares right now. Mars, I'd suggest you help Cyrus up and leave too."
Good ole Gardenia takin' control.

"Oh, I see," Jasmine responded. "Alright then - let me rephrase that... I'll remember that, Maylene."
Love how you're throwing in all these characters. It makes logical/plausible sense, too. It's fun to see them in a younger light.

So the slow transformation of Cyrus from friend to ... enemy, in a way, was pretty believable. I like how Jasmine was the first one to stand up and voice her opinion. I love how everything is starting to click together, like the purpose of Mana and the earlier premonition scene of Cyrus. On a kind of more random note, I like how you portrayed Mars, too, as a sort of ... I don't even know the word. Giddy about Cyrus' idea in the same way Cyrus is, but in a more ... fangirlish sort of way?

Awesome chapters. Hopefully I won't get too far behind next time. x_X

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.