• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sinnoh vs Kalos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Sinnoh League was better.

Ash vs Paul is the best rivalry. Ash and Paul had that fire and intensity between them. They hated each other, but deep down there was respect. Their Pokemon battles were always top notch. We always saw strategy during those battles. Ash vs Paul was more enjoyable to me than Ash vs Alain. Ash and Paul's battle in the Sinnoh League is one of the best battles of all time easily.

The Sinnoh League had team Galactic, Hunter J.

Ash also got to travel with a great female companion in Dawn. Brock also tagged along. The Sinnoh League remains the best in my eyes.

With that being said, X&Y is not a bad series at all. I loved watching the development of Ash's Greninja. I'm really hoping we haven't seen the last of Greninja. I imagine he will get sent to Oaks lab once Ash leaves for the Alola region. Unlike Primeape or Pidgeot, there's no way Ash will forget about Greninja, though.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
That's disrespectful. I think it's largely agreed that Paul vs Ash had more emotion and depth, but I think in a display of skill and prowess, Alain and Ash had the better result.

Skills? You mean ALain spammign attacks and attacks, and usign the same hyper offensive thing he's bee doing the whole time, nobody switching out Pokemon?
I mean at least Paul and Ash payed around each other's team

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Guillotining people is kind of a poor excuse to save on time and budget, which also makes the opponent look bad for wrong reasons. There really wasn't enough skill in the final battle.

Hell, SSS's battle had more skill included there until the last bout.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Guillotining people is kind of a poor excuse to save on time and budget, which also makes the opponent look bad for wrong reasons. There really wasn't enough skill in the final battle.

Hell, SSS's battle had more skill included there until the last bout.

And it was still lacking in skill, I mean c'mon Ash just switch out T Flame fro pikachu and take care of Clawitzer and Aegis then you can use T Flame against Sceptile or Salamence

Azery

>Thunder Wave to immobilise/slow the opponent to work around Guillotine's low accuracy.
>>Weakening Goodra before guaranteeing a finish with Guillotine.

Honestly, just because it isn't a tactic usable in the games, doesn't mean it can't be applied into the anime. I mean Ash used ****ing Flare Blitz underground to get rid of Toxic Spikes.

Never the less, as a league, I give Sinnoh the edge..however the Kalos League was building up to the AMAZING Flare Arc, so I'll give them some props for doing something outside of the norm. The Animation was splendind though the ending was a bit lacklustre. Alain is a really cool character and honestly, I much prefer a character developed through his own side story that went on for the entire series than a one off full on Gary Stu in Tobias.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
That's disrespectful. I think it's largely agreed that Paul vs Ash had more emotion and depth, but I think in a display of skill and prowess, Alain and Ash had the better result.

I dunno about skill regarding Ash and Alain in Kalos cuz I personally felt that both rely too much on brute strength, not to mention how Alain uses mega evolution as a crutch while Ash relies heavily on syncing with Greninja as his main endgame move in XYZ. Sinnoh had better strategies from my perspective.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Skills? You mean ALain spammign attacks and attacks, and usign the same hyper offensive thing he's bee doing the whole time, nobody switching out Pokemon?
I mean at least Paul and Ash payed around each other's team

For as much flack as Alain tends to receive, he's still really strong as witnessed in all his battles with Satoshi. Sure he might be a one-trick pony, but it works wonders for him.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
I dunno about skill regarding Ash and Alain in Kalos cuz I personally felt that both rely too much on brute strength, not to mention how Alain uses mega evolution as a crutch while Ash relies heavily on syncing with Greninja as his main endgame move in XYZ. Sinnoh had better strategies from my perspective.

Pretty much

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
For as much flack as Alain tends to receive, he's still really strong as witnessed in all his battles with Satoshi. Sure he might be a one-trick pony, but it works wonders for him.

I think that Alain could get away with being nearly invincible cuz he was always supposed to be on a higher level than most trainers. But with Paul in Dp, I feel that he was on par with Ash in terms of overall experience. It's just that Ash's Sinnoh team grew more slowly and it didn't get to peak until the Sinnoh league.

rfpitagoras

ObsesiveAmourshipper
kalos 'cause SERENA

Genaller

Silver Soul
Villain Team: Kalos, Rivals: Sinnoh, League: Sinnoh (though I also enjoyed the KL full battles), GYM battles: Kalos (though Sinnoh's were awesome as well), Female Companion(s): Sinnoh, Male Companion: Kalos (I like Brock more overall, but when it comes to only looking at Sinnoh Brock, Clemont's the clear winner), Pokemon Personality/Development: Equal (They were both amazing in this aspect), Ash: Kalos (really tough choice, but Kalos Ash just takes it for me), Overall: Kalos (by a hair).

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i think sinnoh overall was written a lot better, but xy's animation and story definitely makes it a top contender. however the pacing in xy was really off to me. i found it really weird when serena won her first princess key when ash had already won six badges....

DatsRight

Perhaps when the saga first started the writers thought XY was going to be 4 years like AG and DP were, and then when they found out a Z version wasn't happening they had to go into overdrive mode.

I certainly never assumed Serena would only be around 3 years like Iris. I thought she was going to get a full run like May and Dawn did.

Still you'd think straight after BW's enforced shorter span they'd be a little less presumptuous and take care to keep a steady progression in case anything happened. Granted, it's not like DP is even remotely blameless concerning filler either.

I'm still unsure if Serena's underplayed development was due to writing/timing issues or them actually plotting a perfectly good waste, especially since her supposed finale will involve a battle. Apparently one animator has twittered to keep a close check on XYZ until the very last episode.

I will say one thing, XY REALLY set the bar for animation. The whole thing looks movie budget quality. It's hard to look at any previous Pokemon series (and for many fans even the upcoming one) without it looking rather crude.

Last edited:

SkittleBox

Fanfiction writer
I've enjoyed watching both throughout the years, but as awesome as XYZ has been, I'm saying Sinnoh. I'm pretty sure during the DPPt era is when I started to get invested in the anime. Watched a few episodes here and there. But lately, along with Kalos, I've been rewatching much of Sinnoh because of how great it was! Character development, kick-butt battles like Ash VS Paul, and all the Pokemon were really memorable for me. Too bad it was followed up with the travesty I don't wanna bring up (no offense to all you Best Wishes fans out there).

Also, Dawn best girl, just putting that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.