1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ska Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Skaisdead, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Skaisdead

Skaisdead Movers and Shakers

Does anybody even know what Ska is? Ska is probably my current favorite genre, and whenever I explain this to people, nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. Sure, it's more of an underground thing. Hell, they don't even get a ton of representation at Warped Tour, but I think it's an unappreciated genre, simply because it's so different than anything most people have ever heard before.

So is anyone on Serebii a fan of Ska Music? What are your favorite bands? Who have you seen in concert? Favorite albums?

I personally like Streetlight Manifesto. Tomas Kalnoky and Aaron Barett are visionaries.

2. ??????

?????? That guy.

Mind giving a sample so I can hear it in disgust?

3. Kaika

Kaika Haters gonna hate

Well, I looked up Ska Musicians and two semi-popular bands (or at least names people have heard of) under Ska would be No Doubt and Rancid.

4. Skaisdead

Skaisdead Movers and Shakers

Somewhere in Between (live) - Streetlight Manifesto
    Video

Beer (live) - Reel Big Fish
    Video

5. ??????

?????? That guy.

I have no idea how this stuff is any different from any other rock song. Just becuase of the Saxophone?

It sounds ok though.

6. Vaporeon4evr

Vaporeon4evr Cyndakill

There's a local ska band in my area that makes some of the best music I've ever heard. Their name is Driver F, and if you like ska/ska-punk, you'll love them.

7. Rave

Rave Banned

Not too into Ska really.

Only Ska I am highly aware of is pretty much Catch 22 and Reel Big Fish.

Music that sounds all happy like and everything.

8. Hammerheart

Hammerheart Son of Wōden

its a sort of mixture of punk, reggae and jazz.

cause you have the walking bass lines and the Offbeat skank guitar.

but there is ska, and there is ska punk, of which i feel the OP is more on about the second.

9. Zazie

Zazie So 1991

Nope can't say I'm a big fan of Ska-punk. I like a few songs here but it is a little to upbeat for me to take in large doeses and the whole sub-genre got old fast after it's revival in the late 80's early 90's. After so many bands and so many years it is feeling quite stale. It does always sound better with electric organs though. Everything sounds better with organs.

10. savatoreloaded

savatoreloaded Well-Known Member

The Ska song you listened to was probably from the third wave, or Ska Punk.

The first wave of Ska was more similar to Reggae music.

Rancid has jumped around over the years doing Punk, Ska, Reggae, and Pop Punk.

I enjoy Ska and have listened to bands from all three waves.

Just to drop some names.

First Wave: Culture, Inner Circle, Barrington Levy

Two Tone: The Specials, The Beat

Third Wave: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Big D and the Kids Table.

Ska Punk: Operation Ivy