• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sky Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Sky Battles were a new battle type that was exclusive to Kalos and were restricted so that only certain kinds of Pokemon that were airborne could participate. What did you think of Sky Battles?

I really didn't like them because most Pokemon couldn't be used and it made me wonder what the heck was even the point of these special battles in the first place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't like Sky Battles much myself, because I only had one Pokemon on my team on a regular basis that could participate in them. I found the idea to be interesting in the sense that it was a new concept, but I wish it hadn't been so restrictive overall.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I kinda liked them but whenever i ran into a sky trainer i usually only had 1-2 flying types and lost so I had a bit of bad experience with them but it was a cool concept and they should really bring them back.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I was upset that my Gengar couldn't participate in them despite having levitate and being able to fly in the anime.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
This sums it up nicely. Gamefreak really didn't do Sky Battles any justice when you think about it further since they totally dropped the feature after X and Y.

They were probably just a gimmick anyway, something that Game Freak came up with and might have actually added to future games if the reception had been good. But the fact that Sky Battles were a short-lived feature makes me think that most fans hated them.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
They were kinda fun, but probably would have been better as a gimmicky battle competition, or a challenge in a specfic area rather than something that would pop up all over the place.

I would love it if they tried to emulate it with another battle competition though.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
This sums it up nicely. Gamefreak really didn't do Sky Battles any justice when you think about it further since they totally dropped the feature after X and Y.

They should have kept it simple. Is a Pokémon floating or does it have an idle flying animation? Then you can use it. That would be not only intuitive but something that anyone can easily see.

KillerDraco

The problem with Sky Battles was there was nothing special about them. It was literally just singles except with heavy restrictions on the Pokemon/moves you could use. Every other battle type had a purpose. Doubles/Triples/Rotation all had different strategies. Inverse battles made you stop and rethink what you knew to be true. Horde Battles were a godsend for EV training. But Sky Battles were just... there.

Also screw that one random Sky Battle with Aerodactyl.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Good idea on paper but not so much in execution since it is likely your only legal Pokémon will be your dedicated flyer (unless you also have a few Pokémon with Levitate). The forced need to have the legal Flying-types needing to be airborne also led to many of their modern 3D models getting butchered (some the notable ones being Xatu, Swellow and Salamence).

Leonhart

Imagineer
Tsukuyomi56 said:
The forced need to have the legal Flying-types needing to be airborne also led to many of their modern 3D models getting butchered (some the notable ones being Xatu, Swellow and Salamence).

I agree about the awful animations, especially in Ohsubame's (Swellow's) case. I remember thinking that Game Freak should've updated it in OR/AS since it looked simply awful and it should've changed given that Sky Battles were no longer a gimmick in those games.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
As said previously, I liked the idea of a different battle style but the execution was off. I too never had more that 1 or 2 Pokémon that could compete despite having things like Gengar (would could levitate via ability) on my team.

I wanted to like Sky Battles but GF made that quite hard. Would’ve liked to see it in further games too if they’d implemented better, but oh well.

TwilightBlade

I actually liked sky battles, so sue me lol.

They were a fun concept and I thought that GF should've made a bigger deal of them by having a special battle facility meant for sky battling in XY instead of just placing random NPC trainers around the Kalos map for sky battles.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
It was hilarious that flying types were rather quickly excluded from eligibility at seemingly random choices.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I think most people hated them judging from the responses here lol. They were a good idea for a side activity but Gamefreak didn't go all the way with them and made them as forgettable as possible not to mention restricted as hell.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i liked them alot but they were under developed.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I loved Sky Battles as I always liked the thought of two airborne Pokémon facing off high in the sky. Just wish there were more. There should’ve been a Gym Leader similar time Double Battles and Tate/Liza who had you “fly” with gusts of air under your feet as you went higher up in a sky themed building. Though all 4 non Flying Types introduced in Gen 6 were aces of other Trainers (Vivillon:Viola, Hawlucha: Korrina, Noivern: Drasna, & Talonflame: Malva) so maybe it’s an optional side quest like Inverse Battles?

Status
Not open for further replies.