• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sky High Gym Battle! (361)

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
One of the best episodes in a while. Ash was smart in this one. Using, the field to his advantage and letting Pelipper attack knowing it would unground itself.

Then of course we got the dog fight with the full E4 theme.

There's only one thing that spoiled this otherwise incredible episode. That's right, Team Rocket. They could have taking the episode off but one, they had to be idiots, running around in the catacombs and getting shocked by their metal devining rods.

Well animated and well written.

The Big Al's rating
9.3/10
TR came this one from a perfect 10.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Some quotes.

*TR blasts off*
May: Was that a shooting star?
Brock: ...whuh?

Winona: Ash, on days that are so beautiful and clear like today, my flying Pokemon and I are able to manifest much greater power than we're able to in less perfect conditions. Those of us whose dreams reach towards the sky are loved by the sky in return.
Ash: Wow, I didn't know the sky could love you.

CharizardMaster

Belgian Waffles!!!
What I don't get is, shiny swellow uses hyper beams like crazy and regular swellow is hurt badly, it uses ONE wing attack and shiny swellow faints.

PDL

disenchanted
easily one of the best gym battle in a long while... absolutely fierce... definately made up for the lackluster Norman battle...

if Team Ota isn't able to do every episode, they should at least do all the important ones...

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
I thought I read in the write up that Winona started with Pelliper in Japan, or was I on some good stuff? lol

It was a great episode nevertheless.

CharizardMaster

Belgian Waffles!!!
Yeah. Overall it was the best gym battle up to date, that team rocket was a waste of time.

The dogfight was definitely one for the record books...too bad there weren't any barrel rolls.:p Swellow are kickàss Pokémon, 'nuff said.^_^ A great gym battle with nice strategy...They've pleased this birthday girl!:D Easy 10/10! Now for the Mind Badge; very easy in R/S, but Tate and Liza kick it up 5 notches in Emerald!@_@

B

Brocksketchum

V Faction said:
Ash: Wow, I didn't know the sky could love you.

That quote gave me a good laugh. I want to see it submitted. :)

Well, I guess God can be mentioned freely after all these years or something.

Yes, we all know Team Rocket was a waste of time but check out their disco!

No barrel rolls? :( That would make this already awesome battle more awesome!

And what about that C when Ash's Swellow hit Winona's Swellow? Ah, that's not really important. The BGM of the action is what really mattered.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Finally, a gym battle that doesn't have crud animation and horrible subbed music. I'm glad TR actually called it an Item Finder this time (looks at Ecruteak gym).

Oh, and I can't believe nobody's complained about Trainer's Choice yet. Baltoy is Psychic/Ground, meaning Ledian would be DOUBLY effective against it. And Meganium would work just as well as Lapras.

10/10

You know it was a good battle, because it was a good battle!
This is clearly the best gym battle in AG history, and it all went very good. The TR randomness was very laughable, the whole Pikachu's Thunderbolt on Pelliper's Iron wing makes the Divining Rods point towards it (I bet those rods were magnets), shocks TR and explodes them to the top and they do the motto and then get blasted off without notice thing was funny!

But the Swellow vs. Shiny Swellow battle was easily the best part, the debut of Areial Ace attack, and the extreme battle made this easily the best battle in History (yep, not just AG).

Now as we advance to Mossdeep, Tate and Liza look like a pretty cool Dynamic Duo, and Juan is going to make this Badge Season a great one!

V Faction

www.faction.com
Brocksketchum said:
And what about that C when Ash's Swellow hit Winona's Swellow? Ah, that's not really important. The BGM of the action is what really mattered.
It was part of the special effect. Almost like when a person gets a gleam in their eye, and you see that sparkle. That "C" got produced due to such an astounding move at a precise angle.

Yeah, don't look into much.

Shining Suicune said:
Oh, and I can't believe nobody's complained about Trainer's Choice yet. Baltoy is Psychic/Ground, meaning Ledian would be DOUBLY effective against it. And Meganium would work just as well as Lapras.
You mean because of it's part Flying type, right? TC has never approached it from that defensive angle before. IF you really want to get technical, Ledian's Flying type has no bearing on the subject because the Baltoy line isn't that offensive anyway.

And the reason Lapras got chosen was because it's both Ice and Water. 4Kids sees it and goes "Ah-haz0rs, it must be doublely effective against it!!111!!11", where as we know that either type is just as good when fighting your average Ground type.

Last edited:

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
CharizardMaster said:
What I don't get is, shiny swellow uses hyper beams like crazy and regular swellow is hurt badly, it uses ONE wing attack and shiny swellow faints.
Ash's Swellow made a clean hit on Winona's Swellow's wing and at high speed. Also, Winona's Swellow had taken a Leaf Blade across the back (an attack that took out Altaria).

CharizardMaster

Belgian Waffles!!!
The Big Al said:
Ash's Swellow made a clean hit on Winona's Swellow's wing and at high speed. Also, Winona's Swellow had taken a Leaf Blade across the back (an attack that took out Altaria).
True. But hyper beam also made a clean hit, but lets not flame each other.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow, nice they kept Altaria's voice ^^ On the other hand, why not keep Pelipper's voice too? Oh well.
The dubbed version turned out to be very nice, but I'd loved it even more if they kept the Regi music, I'm addicted to it :D

V Faction

www.faction.com
Sushi said:
Wow, nice they kept Altaria's voice ^^ On the other hand, why not keep Pelipper's voice too? Oh well.
The dubbed version turned out to be very nice, but I'd loved it even more if they kept the Regi music, I'm addicted to it :D
Yeah, Altaria's Japanese voice is pretty cute. I used to think they also kept Swablu's voice until the May-Swablu episode. I like 'em both though I have to say.

Pelipper's always had a dub voice. Or do you mean in the grand scheme of things? Dunno. Such a high pitched sound.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
V Faction said:
Yeah, Altaria's Japanese voice is pretty cute. I used to think they also kept Swablu's voice until the May-Swablu episode. I like 'em both though I have to say.

Pelipper's always had a dub voice. Or do you mean in the grand scheme of things? Dunno. Such a high pitched sound.

Yep, I meant all Pelippers in general. I don't care much for the original voice since it isn't all that great either, but it's extremely weird that they keep voices of Pokémon that have a totally different name in the original, yet they change voices of Pokémon with the same name.
Oh well, I think we already had that discussion when Typhlosion opened its mouth in 'Poetry Commotion', so I'd better keep quiet for now and just be glad 'cause of Altaria's voice :D

V Faction

www.faction.com
Sushi said:
Yep, I meant all Pelippers in general. I don't care much for the original voice since it isn't all that great either, but it's extremely weird that they keep voices of Pokémon that have a totally different name in the original, yet they change voices of Pokémon with the same name.
Oh well, I think we already had that discussion when Typhlosion opened its mouth in 'Poetry Commotion', so I'd better keep quiet for now and just be glad 'cause of Altaria's voice :D
zan.png

W

Wing

...Guh. I wanted to love this one. I really really did.

Winona has been my favorite Gym Leader for a good while now, and I've been waiting a long while for this episode, and it DID deliver in pretty much every aspect: The animation was perfect, the music was spectacular, and the voicing was pretty much dead on. Even the TR bits seemed to flow well with the rest of the episode.

But I just CANNOT wrap my head around the KO on Altaria. The double KO with Pelipper and Pikachu made enough sense (Although, Pikachu being K.O.ed by a Hydro Pump was a bit weird, it was sustained for quite a bit, so I can let it go) and I can understand the Swellow v. Swellow battle. (Let's face it, Ash's Swellow has a BOATLOAD of defensive power. I point back to the episode where Ash caught it, and the last episode for proof) But really...I know Game physics are loose at best in the anime, but a 4x Resistance should count for something. I guess I can buy that the Leaf Blade only knocked Altaria into the ground, and the impact is what did the damage...but still, it just irks me. :/

Still, in the scheme of things, I suppose that's just a minor nitpick, and I got to see the lovely Winona more or less beat the crap out of Ash. (I know Ash won, but c'mon, Winona did a LOT of effing damage to him. >_>) So I'm happy. ^_^

10/10. Now all I need to do is circulate a petition to get Winona a special episode. >.>

R

Robert

I tried to like it, but I found some of the KOs to be a bit difficult to grasp... TR was, yet again, nothing more than a waste of time... It wasn't a bad battle, but I was expecting more from a gym battle. There were some decent quotes here and there to help things along.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Great animation this episode.

Team Rocket was funny, yet did pretty much nothing. :/ When they were disco-ing, that was funny. Don't know how many of you noticed this, but in the background, those few random TR members were dancing, too. That cracked me up. ^^

The gym battle was nicely animated, and it was pretty interesting. That alternately colored Swellow made things interesting, and it was obvious a Swellow vs. Swellow match was coming.

I can't say this episode caught my interest that much more than other episodes, however. I rate it 7/10.

Well, that was the last gym battle of the season. Let's see what's coming between now and Tate & Liza (in both seasons).