• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sliding Into Seventh (595)

Dax

Legend
The battles were rushed and it didn't give the other pokemon time to showcase more their battling style. Grotle had a lot of endurance and so did Staraptor. I'm glad they ended up winning despite getting big hits. Love Close Combat and Rock Climb.

I expected so much from Gliscor...:( They keep whoring up Chimchar. Against Abomasnow was enough, Gliscor deserved to win. That Flamethrower on Snover's butt was totally hilarious!

Poor Grotle with Wood Hammer. I love how it sounded... painful.

Definitely not as horrible as Wake but still a weak gym battle. Nothing exciting about it.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Did Ash win?

BlueVapor

Eh, a bit disappointed at the gym results. Still wished Staraptor took down Abomasnow, but oh well, Chimchar's good too. I'm just glad Ash finally has his seventh badge.

dman_dustin

This gym battle was too cliche, and when crap like this happens it's hard to accept the anime does not equal games motto.

Sneasel vs Grotle- Aside from Rock Climb looking weird it was an okay battle.

Medicham vs Staraptor- Absolutely loved the brave bird arc animation, Staraptor was homing in Medicham's heat signature. Still disappointed that Medicham really didn't belong in this battle.

Snover vs Gliscor- Arguably the most disappointed battle of the whole thing, Gliscor did not deserve to get treated like that. I don't undersatnd how Gliscor could've lost like that, they were both at a disadvantage, I would've preferred a tie.

Snover vs Chimchar- As if Chimchar is going to lose <_<

Abomasnow vs Staraptor- I hated this too but at least Staraptor did get a win unlike Gliscor.

Abomasnow vs Grotle- from now on Candice just start with the thing, if you're going to cream up at the end, start with the thing.. I kind of like how the writers said FU to Grotle's defense completely ignoring the fact it was wood hammer, something that wouldn't have done that to Grotle in the first place.

Abomasnow vs Chimchar- Way too Cliche, fire type beats grass/ice Pokemon without pause. I guess all those people who say Buizel is the strongest Sinnoh Pokemon can now zip it. 6 gym wins to 3.

TR Plot- Oh come on how could not find this hilarious, Skuntank goes into the guest shack and basically farts causing Team Rocket to run the hell out of there. And also it is somewhat of a SOA (Shadows of Almia) reference using Skuntank's field power.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Sneasel vs Grotle- Aside from Rock Climb looking weird it was an okay battle.

Did Rock Climb even connect? cause it seemed more like a strong tackle to me that did Sneasal in.

Snover vs Gliscor- Arguably the most disappointed battle of the whole thing, Gliscor did not deserve to get treated like that. I don't undersatnd how Gliscor could've lost like that, they were both at a disadvantage, I would've preferred a tie.

I kinda have to agree considering that Gliscor beat Byron's best pokemon in the last gym, it's kinda hard to see it go down that easily, but then again as you've said both were at a disadvantage, Gliscor just got the shorter end of the stick, and as someone elsewhere pointed out, Ash should not have kept going for fire fang, that's most likely what did it in.

Snover vs Chimchar- As if Chimchar is going to lose <_<

Flamethrower to the rear was a nice touch though.

Abomasnow vs Staraptor- I hated this too but at least Staraptor did get a win unlike Gliscor.

Yes we know, you and everyone else hated the gym battle from this point on because the precious bird failed to be the big star, deal with it and move on, and be thankful it took someone down at least.

Abomasnow vs Grotle- I kind of like how the writers said FU to Grotle's defense completely ignoring the fact it was wood hammer, something that wouldn't have done that to Grotle in the first place.
i found Grotle's expression from the pain to be quiet funny actually.

Abomasnow vs Chimchar- Way too Cliche, fire type beats grass/ice Pokemon without pause. I guess all those people who say Buizel is the strongest Sinnoh Pokemon can now zip it. 6 gym wins to 3.

I dunno dude, I mean Chimchar didn't beat Snover on it's own power. (nor drifblim either) it did beat Abamasnow, Mismagius, Bronzor and Steelix though because they had taken no prior damage to the fight beforehand, but that's a different topic entirely, overall 4 to 3 isn't much dude.

I don't see how using the ice to skate around and burn Abamasnow's butt wasn't unique, I mean come on you've gotta give Ash some points for using the field like that.

dman_dustin

Did Rock Climb even connect? cause it seemed more like a strong tackle to me that did Sneasal in.
It did but not really, I has hoping Rock climb would be like a claw punch thing but all it looked like was a tackle, even then Grotle barely touched Sneasel.

I kinda have to agree considering that Gliscor beat Byron's best pokemon in the last gym, it's kinda hard to see it go down that easily, but then again as you've said both were at a disadvantage, Gliscor just got the shorter end of the stick, and as someone elsewhere pointed out, Ash should not have kept going for fire fang, that's most likely what did it in.
Yeah I agree, X-scissor and Steel Wing were (or should I say ARE?) both super effective against Snover, just because Fire fang is 4x.

Yes we know, you and everyone else hated the gym battle from this point on because the precious bird failed to be the big star, deal with it and move on, and be thankful it took someone down at least.
Did I not just say that?

I dunno dude, I mean Chimchar didn't beat Snover on it's own power. (nor drifblim either) it did beat Abamasnow, Mismagius, Bronzor and Steelix though because they had taken no prior damage to the fight beforehand, but that's a different topic entirely, overall 4 to 3 isn't much dude.

I don't see how using the ice to skate around and burn Abamasnow's butt wasn't unique, I mean come on you've gotta give Ash some points for using the field like that.
Yeah but technically only Drifblim received damage from Pikachu not like it helped since Pikachu lost (easily). And I doubt even if Gliscor didn't hit Snover that Chimchar would've lost. And still even if a Pokemon receives damage that doesn't matter because it's still a win. I mean look at Cynthia's battle against Paul. 4 of Paul's Pokemon could not take the thing down. I would find it hard to believe that if Paul kept going that the 5th Pokemon winning against Garchomp would not be deserved.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-The gang's back in their cold weather outfits. And Zoey's with them. Horray?
-And the battle's on an ice field! Taking bets on how many "oh no, Ash's Pokemon is slipping!", "hah! We can use the ice to blah bla hblah Candice's Pokemon!", and "hey if we use a FIRE attack on the ICE, it turns into WATER" moments there will be, RIGHT NOW! Step right up, everyone's a winner!
-Am I hearing things or does the ref(who, in a break from tradition, is an old, stuffy, businessy looking man) have the narrator's voice?
-Candice takes her sweater off. Dammit, she should know better than to listen to S.Suikun!
-Oh good, TR plot. I can ignore the ep for a few minutes.
-Okay, wipe-away sound, I can...wait, no, it's still TR. Dammit, I'm here for gym battles, not TR stuff!
-HERE we go. Ash wisely uses his Grass Pokemon against the ice type. Attaboy!
-Sneasel's making Grotle frost over. Now those lovely bushes on its back will die before they can bloom in the glory of summer.
-Using Rock Climb for better mobility on the ice? That's...pretty smart, actually. And apparently Ash remembered how Shinji's Torterra took a bunch of hits then struck back from whatever episode that was. I do love the mini-theme DP(and parts of late AG) has with having Ash/Dawn remember other people's strategies and adapt them for their own use. When the writers bother to use it, anyway.
-But the walking football's time is up for now, since it's Medicham vs Muku.HAWKBIRDRU now!
-Wait, it's actually TR plot now. Time to ignore the episode again.
-Oh hey, Psychic. Also known as "that one completely unstopable move since it can do pretty much ANYTHING"
-Luckily for Ash, Candice unwisely gave Medicham Fire Punch instead of, say, Thunderpunch or Ice Punch. Yep, good thing Medicham used the one punch not super effective against Mukuhawk.
-You know, I've always wondered...why do Gyms have so much seating in the bleachers when there's only ever five people in them, at most? This is seriously bugging me, and not just because gym battles don't leave me much to comment on.
-Oh no. A snorunt. Whatever will ash do. Surely it will not die in one hit from any fire attack ever.
-La di da TR plot I am ignoring~
-Gliscor uses Fire Fang. Snorunt melts.
-Snorunt uses Ice Beam. Gliscor anti-melts.
-Fire+ice=watersteam. Called it!
-Advance Adventure as BG music? ...well okay then!
-Muku.HAWK goes down fast. More importantly, I'm digging the attention to detail by keeping the dent in the wall from when Gliscor lost horribly.
-Grotle goes down in one hit too. So, about my dinner for today. I was thinking of making something simple like spaghetti, but that would involve going to the store to get some stuff. Then again, I'd have plenty of time for it since the writers are spending so much time on dramatic buildup to Chimchar's victory. Hell, I could probably do a month's grocery shopping in the time this is taking.
-Chimchar's not doing so well, but man oh man look at its facial expressions! That is one hilariously distressed monkey, yesiree bob.
-And as I was saying, I'd need to scrounge up some cash for that trip to the sto...oh hey, Ash had his obligatory battle-crisis epiphiny. I guess I should pay attention to see what insane idea seeing Abomisnow crush a piece of ice gave him.
-Chimchar's using a piece of ice as a "snow"board? Well...whatever works for you.
-Haha, Abomisnow is pissed at Chimchar for dodging so much.
-Oh wait Skuntank Dude is still hanging around? Man, this TR plot really is worthless.
-On the other hand, it apparently involves TR being defeated by a fart attack. So it's not entirely worthless, if only for the juvinile humor.
-And the ep ends like usuaOHFUCK PAUL FROM NOWHERE.

Pretty good gym battle ep, although not really one of the top gym battles, and as usual there's not terribly much to make note of other than where the writers are making Ash act really stupidly in order to build up dramatic tension. More importantly:Jesus christ Candice's outfit leaves more of her skin exposed to the freezing cold than Dawn's outfit does. It's like Japan has no idea what actual cold is and what it does to people exposed to it long enough.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Gee I wonder why, bitter that the bird didn't get the star spot i see.

What does me not liking the whole 'skate around on a bit of Ice torching its butt' thing have to do with Staraptor exactly?

durhurhur Almighty Zard, nice logic.

I wouldn't have minded Chimchars battle if it wasn't for that. I just dislike comical battles.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

I just watched the episode on You Tube. It was pretty good but Staraptor and/or Grotle should have gotten at least one hit on Abomasnow. Gliscor should have beaten Snover too. Ash really took advantage of that ice field.

Champion Jared 14

Chimchar is soo badass now, and it seemed that Abomasnow wasn't trying to show any mercy....woohoo, I liked it...I also liked how smug it was when it used blizzards with its arms folded *classic*

Ash was...rather...enjoyable to watch in this episode...and now...I think....I officially prefer the japanese version of pokemon now...

JD

ahh man gliscor staraptor .... I cant believe gliscor did so badly what did wood hammer look like

thunderblade12

- Ash vs Candice stars quickly.
- Cliche Team Rocket subplot..I don't care for the moment
- Grotle defeats Sneasle. At least it gets a win.
- Staraptor vs Medicham.. Staraptor's in the same position as Grotle
- I guess Gliscor is the Chimchar(Maylene)/Turtwig(Wake)/Pikachu(Fantina)/Buizel(Byron) of this gym. Seriously, they couldn't steal one of Chimchar's many wins for a pokemon that probably won't even be around after Sinnoh? Here's hoping it takes down at least one of Volkner's pokemon and does well in the league.
- Chimchar wins..yeah..
- Abomasnow uses ice punch(?) on Staraptor and wood hammer on Grotle and OHKOs them. Some great defense there, Grotle.
- Chimchar wins again.
- Probably the best scene in the episode: Skuntank's deadly fart
- Paul shows up and it looks like his hair is longer than usual...

Munchlax66

Yes, but given the circumstances what other choice did he have, Pikachu and Buizel weren't exactly good choices either given two of her pokemon had type advantage over them. So, he didn't have any other choice, and given that nearly all of Gliscor's attacks were super effective in some form against most of candice's pokemon it made sense to use it.

Pikachu still Iron Tail was not as weak to Ice as Gliscor.

I really liked the quality of the episode. It was top notch. Can't wait for next episode and Sunyshore. And love Skuntank's revenge.

Last edited:

Dax

Legend
It's kinda funny that no one mentions being disappointed because Staraptor didn't have the gym yet Zard is the only mentioning it to everyone looking for conflict. Get over it...

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
It's kinda funny that no one mentions being disappointed because Staraptor didn't have the gym yet Zard is the only mentioning it to everyone looking for conflict. Get over it...

forgive me for being sick and tired after last week, i mean you and several others wouldn't shut up about the bird "taking the match out of "fairness"" when the writers don't know what the word means and never will, it got annoying so when i heard the bird went down i was happy and joyous because it proved my point(that the writers don't play fair), repress your feelings on the matter all you want i know most of you are raging mad inside right now and that's fine.

I don't intend to continue this discussion anymore either, i'm not going to sink to kojiro's level of PA'ing people.

The only thing i still don't get is Gliscor, i mean seriously what the heck happened to it? Did it catch the Buizel virus or what, beating a GL's main pokemon only to lose to a flunky, it's wacked out.

thunderblade12

Most of us were saying that we'd like Staraptor to win the badge, not that we thought it would.

Honestly I would have preferred Grotle or Gliscor over Chimchar too.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Decent Gym battle but you can tell it was played for comedy at some points.

They played a lot of nice battle music though, I heard the classic RBY themes, the Johto theme, and Advance Adventure.