• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Slow Start ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptorg

Psychic/Fire trainer
what's the point of this?

for the first few turns in the battle your pokemon becomes extremely weak(-50% attack and speed).. why would you want a pokemon with this ability?

i can understand that Regigas has insane Attack.. but is that a reason to give him this ability

i really think this is a way to turn Regigas in some sort of pokemon which brings you your impending doom(if you don't faint it the first few turns, you're going to get a serious thrashing)

but it's a legendary, why should it be limited in power? as far as i know Mewtwo matches it in power, but then for Sp. Atk and he isn't limited in this way

the only attack Regigas is able to learn that gains an advantage is Avalanche and even that's being cut in power because it uses Attack

so please tell me.. what's the point of Slow Start?

SudovVoOdO

The afro is powerful
I dunno what it is, but it's really annoying, so I ditched my regigigas, stupid piece of metal...

Volteon

Back I guess??
They tried to balance Regigigas not to make it too overpowered.
But seems they balanced it in the wrong side.

Now, taking off Rest and Protect TMs was cheap.

But still, Regigigas can still go very well if you know how to use it.

EDIT: But Stall is way more useless than Slow Start.

Last edited:

PokeProMaster

Nike-Air-Force
Yeah, like volteon said, if regigigas didnt have Slow Start, it would be up there in the Uber tier. Its the same with Slaking, if it didnt have the traunt ability it would probably be up there in the Uber tier.

Regigigas can still be very useful in competitive battling as it has monterous HP and Defensive abilitys and can be useful for statusing your opponent (thunder wave) and knocking off your opponents items using knock off which can help a ton in the long run.

Raptorg

Psychic/Fire trainer
but it's a legendary, aren't they supposed to be more powerful then normal pokemon?

i love to use him, but using him effectively is pretty hard because i intend to use him as a one-shot-wonder like i use my Espeon.. but first i have to sit out 5 turns before he reaches proper damage

and that's almost impossible because i have to teach him abilities that are intended to make him last.. which in return makes me lose attack slots with high damage attacks or power boosts

it's really annoying you end up using a pokemon with massive attacking possibilities as a defensive pokemon

Lostelle

vicious opportunist
If Slaking didn't have Traunt, it would be uber; Without its bad ability it would be a normal type Groudon.

I believe Gamefreak cursed Regigigas and Slaking both because they weren't intended to be as powerful as the primary legendaries of their generations.

Raptorg

Psychic/Fire trainer
thing is that Slaking isn't a legendary and Regigas is.. that's what bothers me

if Regigas wasn't a legendary then it would be normal to get an ability that makes him weaker, but he's a legendary, why should he get such an ability
just so he isn't classified as an "uber"? then just classify him as an uber and just cut his speed for the first 5 turns.. it's a slow start after all
heck, cut his speed for the whole battle..

Last edited:

-BJ-

"Uber" is just a term that players made up for strong Pokemon. They probably just wanted to give Regigigas a unique weakness, which is too bad for all of us I guess.

Raptorg

Psychic/Fire trainer
"Uber" is just a term that players made up for strong Pokemon. They probably just wanted to give Regigigas a unique weakness, which is too bad for all of us I guess.

i see "ubers" as pokemon that aren't allowed to participate in limited entry contests.. the creators created certain limits which limit legendaries such as dialga, palkia and godknowswhat from participating in certain contests..
most of these, if not all are considered ubers by the players

Volteon

Back I guess??
"Legendaryness" =/= Strengh

Entei is legendary and is still less useful than Regigigas =O
Stealth Rock, important weakness, outclassed by many and no useful STAB.
Even if it got the all wanted Flare Blitz, Arcanine, Infernape and Charizard would still outclass it.

As for Regigigas, it grants important support for your team, no other Pokémon can provide.

If you want a fast attacker, go with Slaking... Regigigas' purpose is completely diferent.

And how can you say that!? It's one of the REGIS, the name is asking for a defensive moveset! ;D

razor fire

isn't it possible to skill swap it in DB too? wouldn't that make him extremely good then?

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
I'd still say Entei is as good as Regigigas, Volteon, mainly because it can strike from both ends of the offensive spectrum (and it can use Calm Mind).

Slow Start just lasts too long, IMO; either that, or give the Giant a way to defend itself.
And I just noticed that Regigigas gets Rock Polish. What.

Volteon

Back I guess??
And so can Infernape, Charizard, Arcanine and etc.
That's what I meant when I mentioned it. Especially Ape because it can Swords Dance and Nasty Plot. Many things does what Entei tries to do, unlike Regigigas where it's unique.

And Believe it or not, Regigigas can take the strongest Focus Blast in the game (Alakazam Choice Specsed) or MixApe's Close Combat.
Strongest Focus Blast would be Lucario's, but it'll always go with Aura Sphere (which fails to KO as well)

Raptorg

Psychic/Fire trainer
"Legendaryness" =/= Strengh

Entei is legendary and is still less useful than Regigigas =O
Stealth Rock, important weakness, outclassed by many and no useful STAB.
Even if it got the all wanted Flare Blitz, Arcanine, Infernape and Charizard would still outclass it.

As for Regigigas, it grants important support for your team, no other Pokémon can provide.

If you want a fast attacker, go with Slaking... Regigigas' purpose is completely diferent.

And how can you say that!? It's one of the REGIS, the name is asking for a defensive moveset! ;D
defensive, but his highest stat is attack? which is as high as a mountain?

that's not logical, a defensive pokemon would have high defence, health and special defence, and not mountain high attack

and legendaries ARE occationally more powerful then ordinary pokemon.. perhaps not in a single stat, but in overall stats..

why would one destroy so much of a pokemon's potential?

tbh, i can't believe i'm defending a normal pokemon, normally i hate that type.. but seriously a lot of regigas' potential is wasted because people take him as a defensive pokemon simply due to a crappily places ability..

if they didn't want him that strong, why did they give him that attack in the first place?

Volteon

Back I guess??
Because if it didn't had a high attack, it wouldn't have Slow Start =O

Not everything must be logical. They did to Regigigas exactly the same thing they did with Smeargle (in a way).
They give Regigigas insane stats and movepool, but a hindering ability.
They give Smeargle the ability to have any attack in the game, but hindering stats.
Or Shedinja
They gave it an uber ability, but to compensate, they gave it important (5) weakness.
But it comes the fact Regigigas is a legendary and must be strong.
Now, Lugia is a legendary and can't breed. This doesn't make Manaphy less legendary. They are taking off the stereotype about legendaries every new generation if you notice. Giving them genders, giving them weakness and etc. Legendaries are every generation closer than usual Pokémon. Why? Don't ask me this, ask game creators, but that it is a fact, it is.

And Regigigas does have high Defense, HP and Special defense. Higher than Suicune, Uxie, and Mesprit (Oftenly considered a defensive Pokémon as well). It just have the high attack overlooked. But like said before, when you know how to use it, Regigigas' payoffs will make anyone happy.

Last edited:

metalxnerd

<-- i love you
one of the main reasons they gave regi slow start was not to make him more balanced(although it could have been even though he would fit fine in ubers) it was to go along with the folk lore surrounding regigigas. he was supposed to be dormant in snowpoint temple and once he was awoken he had a "slow start" he had to get over. al least with his ability you can play him with the other regi's.

For me, Regigigas is just a trophy pokemon and I never use it. It is just too usaeless for
battle with its slow start. Hopefully this will be gone in Platinum

MidnightStorm

Well he would have been too strong...Also you might be able to combine this with some strategy of some kind, but I don't know what(I can't think real well, its late at night).

Status
Not open for further replies.