• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Slow Start ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Regigigas has so much power it needs to limit it.But it builds up so that's why Regigigas moves continents,because its extremely strong

randomspot555

thing is that Slaking isn't a legendary and Regigas is.. that's what bothers me

I'm going to guess you're either a fan of the anime, or that's how at least you got into Pokemon. In the anime (and probably the manga too), legendary Pokemon are all revered as pretty sacred and "do not disturb" and ARE much more powerful than other Pokemon. In the games, all being legendary means are:

1. It usually has some basis in fictional myths of the part of the world you're in, or is part of documented science.

2. There is only one of them and is only found in that reigon.

Some legends (uber tier) are extremely powerful due to their stats, move pool, ability, or a combination of those. Mewtwo and (most forms of) Deoxys are good examples of these. Other legends don't come close to matching the overpowered ones, and are classified properly in the OU, BL, and UU tiers.

When I saw this pokemon online, I was kind of excited to get it. I tried for an Adamant and got it w/ synchronize, and plan to use it to wail on people, regardless of its ability.

@ Razor Fire: I too wondered if Skill Swap would work, I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Also considered it with Slaking as well.

So far I know the poke will have...
- Drain Punch (To cover the appropriate types, HP gain)
- Avalanche (To cover appropriate types as well as put to use the 'slow start' speed halving)
- Substitute/ [maybe a status condition]/ Safeguard
- Earthquake/Giga Impact/Strength/Facade/Crush Grip/??? (Wanted an overall high damage attack, whether by normal amount or by STAB)

I'm not entirely 'in the know' about all of these tiers and competitive strategies (as I keep seeing things I never quite noticed before, in terms of move combinations), but I felt if I EVd it as such : 252 HP, 58 Att, 100 Def, 100 Sp. Def
that it might be a somewhat viable pokemon on a team. Item wise I'm still not certain of, though if Life Orb does what I think it does (makes attacks super-effective but at the cost of HP) then I might use that.

LegionPothIX

Harbinger
If Slaking didn't have Traunt, it would be uber; Without its bad ability it would be a normal type Groudon.

I believe Gamefreak cursed Regigigas and Slaking both because they weren't intended to be as powerful as the primary legendaries of their generations.
If no one has played Coliseum, the boss does this with slowbro.
There is a little trick i picked up and took a serious trashing from skill swap Huge Power (or Pure Power they both do the same +50% att) with either of these pokemon to pump their attak over 900 in dual battles and have your weak doner pokemon take the fall, sadly neither the doner nor the donee can learn skill swap. it has to be done through third party psycic (most reliable) but at least you get the hindrance off, and if your psychic is busy moving abilities around anyway, its not a big deal if it starts slow. Or you can just neutralize it entirely with a skill like Worry Seed.

Last edited:

randomspot555

^^^While it is a way to make it happen, it's not any good. When setting up in a double battle, you're opponent basically gets to hit you a couple of times for free. And human opponents will almost always concentrate on one Pokemon to take down rather than both, which eliminates the Skill Swap plan.

I think Slow Start is a pretty cool idea, actually.
It makes you really appreciate Regigigigias' power, once it can actually use it fully.

christiandeath77

You gotta crush em'.
it's horrible.i'd rather have regigigas as an uber just so at least i could have fun and smite the pokemon league with it.someone said something about changing it's ability to olny having speed in the beginning, that's a good idea.but HOPEFULLY-like they've done in yellow and crystal-theyll add new movesets in platinum, and they'll give him protect and rest.

{HI}343

pure 1337ness
The point is so that Regigigas isn't over-powered. That's all.

unfourtunately slow start makes him very much underpowered.

regigigas will get killed before slow start wears off. This usually makes most people use him as a defensive pokemon which is not the role he is meant for
as he is kinda limited when it comes to recovery moves and he can't even learn protect :(

so he is kinda screwed over unless you use him in a double battle.

pair him up with jumpluff and use worry seed on him. then spam earthquake.

Cutty

Forever now
You know. Im sensing a new form of regigigas like Shaymin and Giratina, after reading a lot of complaints here. o_O

Darth Xeinive

Master Fire Trainer
His ability makes him terrible to use, any good fighting pokemon should be able to kill him in 1-2 hits cuz of his ability, but it doesnt bother me much because I hate legendaries.

Slow Start is especially crippling because rarely will the opponent let you survive 5 turns unless they are setting up stat boosts. Even if they can't faint Regigigas, they can just simply Roar/Whirlwind it away.

Hopefully Platinum reduces the number of turns Slow Start lasts. Even Protect and Rest will not stop opponents from Swords Dancing or Nasty Plotting until they become too powerful to take down.

BoneBurry

¤¤ kyogre ¤¤
It makes you really appreciate Regigigigias' power, once it can actually use it fully.

yes, agree totally with you :p
that is the onley reason why regigigas is cool ^.^

BoneBurry

¤¤ kyogre ¤¤

yes, agree totally with you :p
that is the onley reason why regigigas is cool ^.^

Melloyu

Regigigas is just a collectors item...
I discoverd his ability in the league and wasn't happy because I thought that I had caught a stong pokemon...
and Regigigas looks... ugly, the three other regi's were way more cooler than that big ugly legendary gaint....

Ocean Mist

Poke-Smuggler
Because if they make the game too fun, Fans wouldn't have anything to complain about, duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.