• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Slowbro sweep! Magic Coat Lead! RMT (UU, 4th gen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayabusa

Bona fide Narutard.
Magic Johnson(Hariyama)@Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Att/244 SpD/12 HP
- Protect
- Fake Out
- Force Palm
- Magic Coat

Surprise Lead. Magic Johnson uses Fake out first turn, save for cases in which UU leads have Inner Focus, or are Ghost type (Alakazam/Spiritomb leads are both prime examples).
After Fake Out, I protect and scout for their next move. If it's a status, Magic Johnson uses Magic Coat (or another move countered by Magic Coat, found here: (http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/magic_coat), and bounces it back.
If it's a bulky anti-lead who taunts me, I use Force Palm and go for Paralysis. This Hariyama also solidly takes care of Houndoom (especially with its Thick Fat), who would otherwise be a huge threat for this team.

Ariados@Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 248 HP/252 Speed/8 Def
- Baton Pass
- Spider Web
- Agility
- Bug Bite

Given Ariados' Bug/Poison typing, he has a x4 resistance to Fighting Attacks. That means, I can predict a Fighting type attack coming and switch in, absorb the blow while I set up, and pass a Spider Web.
I can also come in on a paralyzed Pokemon (Hariyama's Force Palm/Slowbro's T-Wave), a burned Pokemon (Rotom's WoW), a sleeping Pokemon (Ninetales' Hypnosis), or a Trickscarfed wall who can't set up anything (Rotom), and set up in that turn too.
Once Spider Web and some Agilities are Baton Passed, I either switch out to my surprise sweeper, or Nasty Plot Ninetales. Ninetales' Flash Fire also absorbs Fire attacks for Ariados, so that's handy. Absorbing Sleep Moves aimed at my team isn't bad, either.

Slowbro@Sitrus Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Att
- Belly Drum
- Thunder Wave
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

My surprise sweeper. This Slowbro is bulky, and can make my opponent think I have the standard Smogon Bulky water build for Slowbro.
He also has a lot of needed Paralysis support via Hariyama's Force Palm and Slowbro's own Thunder Wave, so a sweep is possible.
Slowbro is the primary recipient for Ariados' passed speed and Spider Web. Zen Headbutt, because when I'm faster, I can get a chance for Paraflinch. Drain Punch, because I can restore the HP lost through Belly Drum with it. With a Sitrus Berry, Belly Drum's negative effects aren't nearly as bad as they normally are. Most people expect a Calm Mind variant of Slowbro, or a physical wall, so this sweeper is actually effective in that it's not easily predicted. Especially, given the fact Smogon directly advises against a Bellydrumming Slowbro.

Claydol@Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 Sp.D
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

I figured I needed a spinner to get rid of Stealth Rock, for the sake of keeping Ariados and Ninetales alive longer. I also needed a Special Wall who could at least Check dragons, so Claydol with Ice Beam fit the bill.

Rotom@Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Speed
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

My own spin blocker, so Claydol's Stealth Rock remains on the field, leaving Pokemon in UU like Charizard, Articuno and Moltres (among others) all unable to come in. Rotom is also there to aid in setting up a sweep for either Ninetales or Slowbro, by Trickscarfing onto walls. Not only that, Rotom can also disable physical sweepers by getting a fast Will-O-Wisp off.

Ninetales@Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Speed
- Nasty Plot
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Hypnosis

The most offensive Pokemon on the team, Ninetales. The idea is simple, Hypnosis, Nasty Plot once, and then go for the sweep. Ninetales works better late game, especially if it has been given Agility from Ariados. Energy Ball is for Bulky Waters, Rock and Ground types who would otherwise faint Ninetales, and a STAB Flamethrower for everything else that doesn't resist it.

Team Overview
Overall, this team handles fire attacks aimed at Ariados in a number of ways - I can either switch to Ninetales and activate Flash Fire. Or, I can switch to Slowbro and absorb the blow, thanks to his Water Typing. And finally, I can switch back to Hariyama, who has Thick Fat and a bulky build.

Flying Pokemon who might try to faint Ariados and Hariyama are handled primarily by Claydol and Rotom. They are either Thunderbolted/Ice beamed, burned by a teammate, paralyzed by a teammate, put to sleep, or even Trickscarfed. Hariyama's Fake Out (should he be switching in, either inadvertently through an opponent's attack or otherwise) and Stealth Rock can also wear them down.

As I'm writing this, I do not have a solid UU threat list down; I basically made this team on a whim and wanted it to be unpredictable. So, if there are Pokes who make quick work of this team, post them! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pokemanz1.png
    pokemanz1.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,698
Last edited:

Hayabusa

Bona fide Narutard.
Rate this thang!

Rosez66

Ace trainer
Ok firstly max special defense evs on hiryama with magic coat is all but rubbish the reason being the evs means you won't beta king as much damage as possible from special moves so you won't be dealing as much back, so run it the opposite way with HP so to have max HP so you sponge those though hits and then deal back with more damage, this extra HP also improves levtovers recovery and allows you to also take a hit or two from physical attacks.

On claydol you may want to consider running another STAB I'm not to sure what his attacking stat is like but the extra power fro
Physicic should outway the advantages from ice beam.

But if I'm honest the team as a whole seems well made and a lot of thought has been put into it.

Hayabusa

Bona fide Narutard.
Ok firstly max special defense evs on hiryama with magic coat is all but rubbish the reason being the evs means you won't beta king as much damage as possible from special moves so you won't be dealing as much back, so run it the opposite way with HP so to have max HP so you sponge those though hits and then deal back with more damage, this extra HP also improves levtovers recovery and allows you to also take a hit or two from physical attacks.

On claydol you may want to consider running another STAB I'm not to sure what his attacking stat is like but the extra power fro
Physicic should outway the advantages from ice beam.

But if I'm honest the team as a whole seems well made and a lot of thought has been put into it.

I think you thought Hariyama had Mirror Coat. He has Magic Coat. Magic Coat is for bouncing back status effects and other moves. The moves it bounces back in 4th gen are all listed up there.

Claydol doesn't need another attacking move, given it already has Ice Beam for dragons and Earth Power for STAB. It also doesn't have room for another, since it is there for Rapid Spinning and setting up stealth rock.

Thanks for the rate, though.

Bigheaded

King of the Wooper
looks exceedingly weak to fast dark or ghost poke's to me. Especially if you lose hariyama.
How do you deal with mismagius? even after it's twaved you don't really have a particularly great counter to it. surely you dont send out ariados?
Absol looks to be able to tear some holes into your team if you lose hariyama. You've already noticed houndoom is a problem
How do you fair against weather teams? Ludicolo in the rain looks like a bit of a bummer to play against also.

Hitmontop instead of claydol should be a serious thought. Altaria is the only dragon there, whom i personally don't think is your biggest threat to worry about using claydol for. hitmontop will also leave fewer weaknesses, but adds a 3rd weakness to flying without any resistance.

So i'm not sure, i think the threat list is a little large unless you have specific ways of dealing with the aforementioned threats which i've not spotted.

Other than that, i can see you doing very well with it. Although not quite sure what you do against a fighting type with life orb with fire punch, this would surely KO ariados as you try and web him?
Depends how much scouting you do.

That's all i've got for you, chuck me a VM if you'd like another comment if you make a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.