1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

I know. I watched the trailer fairly recently so I can recall that’s the case.

2. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

Interesting. I wonder just how far they're gonna push this echo thing.

3. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

So far, it seems the Echo Fighters aren't merely clones, which pleases me.

I'm personally very excited to be playing with Dark Samus, and I'm hoping to see some strong noticeable differences. Of course, the best way to figure that out will be to put her and Samus against each other.

4. pokedigijedi

pokedigijedi Saiyan Jedi

Nice to see King K Rool in the game, I am still hoping for Banjo-Kazooie though

5. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

To be clear, I'm not arguing Isabelle won't be a fighter because of this, I'm stating why she might be an awkward choice for a fighter.

Regardless, Luigi still fights in his games, regardless of his scaredy-cat personality. Also, even as a major Animal Crossing fan, I would never even dare to compare Isabelle, or any Animal Crossing character, for that matter, to Luigi in terms of popularity and iconicness.

6. King Shuckle

King Shuckle Don't be daft

I mean, for me, if Isabelle were an Assist trophy again, I’d imagine they’d show her by now. Same with Shadow. Look at the cases with Dark Samus and Chrom. During the first Smash Ultimate presentation, and during actual gameplay, Dark Samus didn’t show up once, causing speculation that she might be playable. That theory held up. We saw all of Fire Emblem Final Smashes EXCEPT for Robin. People speculated that Chrom was going to be playable now since we didn’t see him in Robin’s video. That theory held up.

I’m just looking at the context clues here. Another batch of Assist Trophies have been revealed. They told us we are getting over 50, and so far we know 40. No Isabelle or Shadow in sight, not to mention Knuckles and Kapp’n have been added as Assist Trophies now. We’ve had 2 directs now, and I’d imagine by now we’d hear something about Isabelle and Shadow if they return as ATs. We got Ashley back as as AT as seen in the Smash Direct. So my theory is, the remaining 10+ Assist Trophies are either new, or returnees who aren’t highly requested as playable (like Sable Prince, or that Devil Guy).

I’m banking on Isabelle being playable, as either an Echo or Unique fighter. Why is she fighting? Who knows. Maybe she joins the fight to save the mayor or to protect the village or something? The canon isn’t terribly important. Now, I could be wrong and she could simply be an Assist again, which is fine. But, the evidence pointing to her inclusion is very similar to Dark Samus and Chrom.

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

She's fighting because it's in her contract. Nintendo's lawyers are real bastiches.

Grey Wind and King Shuckle like this.
  8. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Who's Alisha?"

Echo Fighters are clones, but "clones" themselves were/are still a bit different than their sources.

9. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

I never said they weren't clones. I said they aren't merely clones, which means they're not just the same character with a different skin. There's actually grand noticeable differences that set them apart.

10. Erron Black

Erron Black The Pretender

I wasn't comparing their popularity or icon-status.

I was saying if your only excuse for Luigi being "He's popular/iconic" then the same applies with Isabelle, who has essentially become the face of Animal Crossing and has become a very recognizable and popular character since her debut.

Also she's just about as awkward or strange as Duck Hunt or R.O.B. being in the game, that's a completely moot point.

11. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara The Bard of Rage

Updated list of wants/possibilities:
    Decidueye/Incineroar/Zeraora/Zoroark/Lycanroc-Midnight/Golisopod
    Ninten
    Linkle
    Captain Syrup
    Brittney
    Geno
    Barbara the Bat
    Ray Mk. III
    Andy/Sami,
    Black Shadow
    Arthur
    Nestor
    Teleroboxer rep
    Isabelle
    Dillon
    Sable Prince
    Shadow
    Captain Rainbow
    Ayumi Tachibana
    Bubbles
    Mach Rider
    Chibi-Robo
    Rayman
    Wonder Red
    Mike(Urban Champion)
    Akira Yuki/Jacky
    Tails
    Heihachi Mishima/Jin Kazama
    Scorpion/Sub-Zero/Liu Kang
    Jill
    Spring Man/Dr. Coyle
    King Hippo
    Excitebike Racer
    Issac
    Saki Amamiya
    Helirin
    Hunter(Monster Hunter)
    Flower Fairy Lip
    A Rhythm Heaven Rep
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Mallo
    Shantae
    Doshin
    Sora
    Paper Mario
    Ryu Hayabusa
    Terra/Kefka/Sephiroth/Tifa
    A Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley rep
    Dr. Luigi
    Birdo
    Roll
    Gil
    Lloyd Irving
    Mappy
    Taizo Hori
    Don-Chan
    Thunderhand
    Waddle(Bandanna) Dee/Any as-of-yet unplayable in Smash Dream Friend
    Psycho Mantis/Raiden/The Pain
    Neptunia
    Milon
    Tabuu
    Dixie/Tiny/Kiddy/Chunky/Lanky/Cranky/Funky/Candy Kong
    Balloon Fighter/Jouster
    And finally...

a 4th-party/Real-World character.

Any one else got ones to add?

12. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I’d add these characters:

Cecil from FF IV with half of his default based on his Black Knight form and the other half based on the White Knight form.
    Soda Poppinski
    Wart from SMB 2
    Poppy Bros Sr
    Risky Boots and/or Rotty Tops from Shantae
    Impa (Hyrulian Warriors version)
    Hilda

13. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

It wasn't my only excuse, but if it were, Isabelle is nowhere near as iconic and popular as Luigi. Even if she is popular, it may not be enough, at least when compared to Luigi.

I can't disagree with that. But, those two really were put as joke characters with the sole-purpose of Sakurai trying to be unexpected. Saying that other characters that are just as awkward, strange, or random have a realistic chance to make it into Smash Bros is opening a huge can of worms.

I really hope you're joking.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 8:35 PM
  14. Kirby Dragons

Kirby Dragons Well-Known Member

I do hate that Richter and Chrom were made playable. Richter had no good reason whatsoever to join, and Chrom overinflates not just Fire Emblem as a whole, but the same Fire Emblem game that we already had two characters from.

I'm glad we finally have Rool though.

15. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

There's no necessary reason for any character to join the game so it seems like an overreaction to hate Richter or Chrom (and not Dark Samus?). Or any Echo Fighter in general considering they aren't wasting time that would've been "better used on someone else." Whether or not a series is over-represented is a very arbitrary measure that I don't think is worth arguing about, but I'd think more characters is a strictly good thing since it means more groups of fans are getting their favorites. Chrom even gained meme popularity during Smash 4 just like Ridley so I think Chrom being here too is also fine. As for Richter, I've seen more people happy to see Richter than Simon out of greater familiarity with him so I'd say he was definitely worth including too. Not that Simon isn't also popular, but I think he's a fine and unexpected inclusion.

The only trends for newcomers so far are that the characters are either fan favorites that are often requested additions (Ridley, Simon, K Rool), or not resource intensive to include and add nothing bad to the roster (Echo Fighters). Considering the apparently low amount of newcomers, I'd say any decent Echo Fighter they can come up with is worth adding.

Auraninja likes this.
  16. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

The Ice Climbers unlock screen should include a Game of Thrones reference, something along the lines of, "Winter Is Coming, But the Ice Climbers Are Prepared - To Fight!"

17. Mega Altaria

Why. It’s not an obligation for Sora Ltd. or the localisers to insert references from franchises that are outside of Nintendo’s control.

AuraChannelerChris likes this.
  18. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Who's Alisha?"

Logic isn't with all Smash Bros fanatics, unfortunately.

19. Mega Altaria

True though. You can’t stop them from asking for Sora to be in Smash for eternity.

20. Taodragon

Taodragon Training Anaylst

Honestly, even if you were to take the four new Echo Fighters and throw them out, you still wouldn't get a character out of it. Melee's six newcomers are stated by Sakurai himself that they didn't equal the amount of one newcomer, so a clone with even less differences is not going to get you another character.

Just treat them as extras, they don't cost much and just exist so that we can get more fan favorites for less work. I'm very happy that it allowed me to get Richter and Dark Samus, and I'm sure many fans are happy to have Chrom and Daisy for the same reasons.