1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

They're two completely separate games. One has little to no barring on the other. If anything, being a good choice for one should imply it's a good choice for the other, at least popularity wise.

2. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

How I see it, the two should have differing rosters so as to not stale things.

If all the pokemon in Smash were also in Pokkén, it would - from my perspective at least - make Pokkén a bit redundant, if not pointless. While it does have completely different mechanics, it is still a fighting game, and we all know Smash is the superior of the two. Different rosters help fill things out. Regardless of any Pokémon game, we always gravitate to the pokemon we like most. The game itself is just a catalyst.

I'll tell you this. If Suicune was in Smash, Pokkén would be dead to me.

Rio! likes this.
  3. R_N

R_N Better Name GET

Today's fighter post was Greninja and actually has confirmation on what we thought
    Granted it doesnt tell us if its a new FS or just his old one but this time he turns into Ash-Greninja, but still neat.

Pokemon Power likes this.
  4. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris 2 Cool 4 8-Bit School

Great. It will never win a tourney. Way to screw it up, Sakurai.

5. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

Only if there was Mega Charizard X.

Otherwise at least there is confirmation that Ash-Greninja is Greninja's Final Smash.

6. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

I kind of picture it to be a large Shuriken that works similar to Ryu's Hadoken Final Smash, sseing as how Ash-Greninja, in-game, gets a Water Shuriken upgrade.

I'm not saying that Smash always follows the games, but that's just what I picture at the moment.

Also, yay, Greninja is finally shown.

Edit: PS, if it does change, I will miss the old one for the Full Moon aesthetic. Though it wasn't always easy to connect.

7. AuraChannelerChris

Yeah, but I'm concerned about that "Ash-" moniker being there. It's...not a good luck name in Pokemon terminology.

Will its color be orange, then.

8. Mega Altaria

As in from Ash losing Leagues, I guess? I especially wanted to focus on the Kalos League finals because of Ash-Greninja appearing there.
    I can still see the devs going for the anime depiction where Ash-Greninja uses a large orange Water Shuriken in the Kalos League finals. But they won't necessarily go for it.

9. Dragalge

Dragalge Your balloon got popped!

Takes me back to the days when some people were so upset at Ash's loss they played as Greninja and played CPU matches with Charizard at the lowest difficulties to let their rage out. Good times!

AuraChannelerChris likes this.
  10. Taodragon

Taodragon Training Anaylst

He'll also have a staggering weakness to Fire attacks, also playing as Ridley, Charizard, and Bowser against him are a guaranteed win.

11. AuraChannelerChris

Worse.

Anyone using a Fire Flower will roast it alive.

Mega Altaria likes this.
  12. Mega Altaria

But then there's Mario's fireballs, Kirby's Hammer Flip, Falcon Punch and there's much more. But quite importantly there's no Blast Burn though. If custom moves did come back then that surely would OHKO Ash-Greninja.

13. Genos

Genos Let's Go Pikachu!

Awesome to see Ash-Greninja making it in Smash.

14. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

Ash-Greninja making its way into Super Smash Bros was inevitable. Why wouldn't Sakurai incorporate one of the most recognizable Greninja in the franchise's history as the fighter? Especially when said-Greninja has its trainer's name plastered in front of it. Ash-Greninja in TGC, video games and of course, the anime. Ash-Greninja even got its own video during that popularity contest in 2016.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember a time when people actually thought that Greninja's inclusion back in 2014 was proof that Super Smash Bros was no longer using the anime and that Sakurai choose Greninja because of its fandom popularity during the first year of the XY games (because somehow, Froakie apparently didn't count as Greninja's debut for the anime)?

Meanwhile, I simply looked at the XY anime, and noticed that Ash only has a Froakie whereas Chespin and Fennekin were given to Clemont and Serena respectively. Gee, I wonder if Ash's only Kalos starter was going to evolve all the way to its final form? If anything, Smash Bros Greninja was proof to me that Ash's Froakie was going to evolve into Greninja eventually.

Of course, it was quite amusing for me to see that anti-anime hype deflated when it turns out that Greninja repeats its name just like the anime. Then there was backlash against Sakurai for incorporating anime stuff into Smash Bros. And then came all those theories that believed Smash Bros Greninja is based on Ninja Riot's Greninja from the Diance movie. As oppose to, you know, Froakie who was clearly going to be Ash's main star of his team (minus Pikachu). Perhaps one should pay attention to the anime series more often before jumping to conclusions.

15. AuraChannelerChris

Well, the form was going to be included, since it migrated to the main games and all. Sakurai likes his transformations.

16. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Since all Final Smashes are to the point now, I doubt Greninja's Final Smash will be any different.

I think it'll just show it transforming into Ash-Greninja before performing its usual Final Smash.

17. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

Ash losing the league is always an excuse for him to go to the next region.

18. R_N

R_N Better Name GET

19. AuraChannelerChris

Some people say the people who handle the blogs aren't into it and may even be writing wrong facts. The "Sheik was referred as a male" is one of the things brought up, because the Japanese blog didn't use gender pronouns.

20. R_N

R_N Better Name GET

When gender pronouns aren't used they generally get defaulted into male pronouns. What probably happened was they translated it as that and didn't double check their sources. The US twitter for the post used "she", which matches localization and Nintendo's current stance on Sheik.

These blog posts have probably been translated as a batch months ago rather than as they go up.