1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. bobandbill

bobandbill Winning Smile Staff Member Super Mod

I wonder who they will end up picking for the DLC fighters... Had some ideas but then given Piranha Plant we could get some truly wacky ideas.

Doubt I'll buy a DLC for it asap though; I'll wait and see.

2. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

I also wonder what the state of third party newcomers will be if Nintendo themselves are picking the fighters.

I don't think we will get another wacky concept fighter like Pirahna Plant simply because I think it was made for the free offer. I don't know how the marketing would work for paid fighters.
    I know people will eventually have to pay for PP, but that is after people have already downloaded and talked about him.

Just my hunch, though.

Edit (New topic):

Apparently, Castlevania got spirit-referenced with Castlevania 64 and Lords of Shadow.
    The real question is, will Metal Gear get the same for Survive?
    (They already appear to have a panchinko reference with EVA's artwork.)

Also, Pac-Man potentially opens the door to a lot of weird Pac-Man games, like Ghostly Adventures.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

Castlevaina 64 is a easily softlockable game as the female protagonist and hard as heck bordering on impossible as the I Can't Believe It's Not A Belmont guy's story. It's evil. And I love it for that

And screw Survive and its charging for extra save slots:Bring on Metal Gear Acid spirits!

I'm hoping for a Support Spirit of Broque Monsieur...so I can pair him and Kammy Koopa with Bowser.

4. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Since Nintendo created the list of potentials, my guess is the characters will reflect current and upcoming titles of interest. Thus, here are my guesses for potential DLC:

- Impa: Given the recent release of Hyrle Warriors: Definitive Edition, Nintendo might want to capitalize on it by adding a popular character from the game to Smash.
    - Zeraora: The last remaining pokemon of the 7th Generation (minus Melmetal), Nintendo might want to give it extra attention by putting it in Smash. Also, Nintendo may not care as much about sticking to the anime as Sakurai, so this could be the case.
    - Monster Hunter: A franchise steadily growing in popularity would likely lead to Nintendo wanting more publicity for it, and there is no better publicity than Smash. Given the inclusion of Rathalos, a Monster Hunter fighter doesn't seem too far off.
    - Sephiroth: With Final Fantasy VII - among other titles - coming to the Switch, Nintendo may want to seize the opportunity to push for sales by introducing a highly popular character, and with Cloud already in, the next fighter would obviously be the game's villain, Sephiroth.
    - Chris Redfield: While not nearly as likely as the other four, a small possibility might flourish from the fact that three Resident Evil titles are hitting the Switch next year, and with Capcom characters already existing in Smash, an additional character is always possible. Also, the inclusion of Bayonetta officially opened the door for characters from M-rated games.

Personally, I would prefer Dixie Kong, Heihachi, and Kamek, but now that I know Nintendo made the list, I know these three aren't as likely anymore.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  5. Gamzee Makara

My DLC picks:
    Bandanna Waddle Dee
    Ninten (as an Isabelle case, uses Teddy's Swords and PK Beam)
    Fire Emblem:The Three Houses Avatar rep
    Steve from Minecraft
    That Mobile Game rep that no one in the US knows who she is except that she has Ice Swords
    2 are from Vergeben, 1 is guaranteed after Robin and Corrin, and the remaining 2 haven't been seen as Spirits to my knowledge.

6. Cradily17

Cradily17 Well-Known Member

Why does Steve get so much hate among Smash fans and is seen as "not being deserving" for Smash?

>Minecraft is for little children
    The community of the game doesn't change the chances. Sonic's community is even worse, and nobody complains about him. Also, Minecraft is not aimed for children. It's aimed for everyone, but a lot of kids like it. And considering we're part of the Smash fanbase, I don't think we have any right to criticize other fandoms.

>He's just a blank skin
    And so is Villager. Villager doesn't even have a name. The name is chosen by the player, just like for Steve.

>He's ugly
    The whole point of Smash is characters from franchises with completely different art styles meeting each other. It's already pretty awesome that Kirby and Mr. Game & Watch are in the same game with anime-style characters like Shulk and Marth. Imagine how cool it would be to see a character with such a unique and special design appearing alongside Mario and Pikachu.

>He has no history
    Three consoles, unique 3DS engine from scratch when the Switch was already out, two versions for the Switch, Story Mode, Mario skin pack, highly advertised on Nintendo as if it was a Nintendo game... History is more than just a period of time. *coughBanjocough*

>No moveset potential
    That's just not true. He has TOO MUCH moveset potential, if anything. Also, Piranha Plant exists. If Sakurai could give a plant a moveset, he could do the same for Steve.

Steve isn't even a character I'm fond of, but I can recognize that he is iconic and many more people would be happy with his inclusion than disappointed. I think the real reason why many people don't want him is because they're afraid he could end up getting in at Banjo-Kazooie's expense.

7. Gamzee Makara

I wasn't complaining?

I just think Vergeben(in all of his ableist lack of glory) will pan out again.

8. Erron Black

Erron Black The Pretender

Ridiculous as in... initially they sound dumb with little potential.

Just because it sounds/seems like that, doesn't mean it is or will be.

That's my point there.

5 years ago if I had said "Duck Hunt Dog needs to be in Smash" you know what I'd get in return, feedback-wise?

"What would it even do?"
    "That's a dumb choice."
    "Not likely to happen, dude."

Unlikely.

He's had near 100% accuracy with Ultimate leaks. Only thing he's failed in so far is the alleged Minecraft representation in some way.

All he's saying about that now, is that it's definitely a DLC pack with Steve, a stage, and music tracks.

Really not all that unlikely. Minecraft is a worldwide phenomenon, and it's very popular in Japan to note. The first half of this year had Minecraft as the best-seller on the Switch there, believe it or not.

People just want it to be unlikely.

9. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

Yeah I feel like Steve is kind of a shoe-in, especially with Nintendo making the DLC choices. I also wouldn't be surprised if we got something from Monster Hunter.

I doubt we'll get Zeroara, though. Its movie has already come out and by the time DLC is actually being released they'll be promoting 8th Gen. If we get a Pokemon rep at all, it'll definitely be from one of the Switch games.

10. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Here are my biggest DLC wishlist:
    Dixie Kong
    Banjo Kazooie
    Shantae
    Paper Mario (he’s unique enough to be his own character)
    Marx
    Capt’n Maple Syrup (Wario Land antagonist)
    Tetra
    Impa
    Daroach
    Magalor
    Prince Fluff

11. PrinceOfFacade

That's not an explanation, that's a roundabout way of admitting you don't actually have one. What you have is your opinion.

You are free to have your opinions, and you are free to dislike any of the characters you mentioned. However, nothing in your post denotes opinion; you're treating it as fact.

There is no bonafide declaration that K. Rool or Chrom were "excellent" choices, no more than Wii Fit Trainer or Piranha Plant were bad ones. Personally, I think Chrom was among the dumbest choices that made it into the roster, because as popular of a request as he was, he ended up a mere Echo Fighter. But that's the sitch. I think this. My opinion alone refutes your entire thesis of which characters were and weren't definitively good selections. At this point, I've already warmed up to Piranha Plant, much faster than I expected. I just might get him afterall.

The reason I'm making this case is because your post undermines, if not insults, the opinions of other fans. Those who may like Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., Pichu, Dr. Mario, or Mr. Game & Watch, are backhanded by your insisting those characters had little to no potential. You don't get to make that call. Only Sakurai does. What you have are your opinions, and so does everyone else.

12. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Currently known as AgentKallus

Here's my dlc wishlist (All are incredibly unlikely I know)
    -The Dovahkiin
    -Spyro
    -Luxray (To tie in with gen 4 remakes (I can dream okay))
    -Midna
    -Chase McCain (Boo me all you want)

I also kinda want a stardew rep but I think they'd be too similar to villiger. I could've made all 5 be pokemon but I limited it to one.

13. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Sceptile will be one of the DLC fighters. Why else would they choose Incineroar over Decidueye?

AgentKallus likes this.
  14. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Hee hee...

But we already know Piranha Plant is the Grass-type.

AgentKallus likes this.
  15. Dragalge

Dragalge Boltrom

Because people care more about Tiger Mask then the Green Arrow

16. PrinceOfFacade

I love how the new Smash Bros. trailer sticks it to all the Zelda haters. She is awesome!

17. R_N

R_N Better Name GET

because sakurai found inceinroar more interesting as a fighter

I bet the expressiveness of Incineroar in particular sung to Sakurai

Taodragon, Erron Black, Ask and 2 others like this.
  18. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Blizzard Maiden

My thoughts on the possible DLC characters:

- Elma or Rex and Pyra: Sakurai has expressed interest in adding Rex and Pyra but their game was announced too late for them to add to the base roster. Failing that Elma would be a second best.

- FE Three Houses character: IS likely cannot resist proposing one of the main characters to promote the game. At least they are not sword users.

- Gen 8 Pokemon: Same reason as above but it hinges whether Game Freak has concept art for Sakurai to refer to.

- Bandana Waddle Dee: Think it is one of the few fan favourites characters that would also appeal to the causal audience. There is Sora but Nintendo is unlikely to choose a character whose latest game isn’t getting a Switch release.

- A third party character: Don’t know who but it would be great if Jibanyan is among the characters Nintendo chosen.

19. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

Three houses has a woman with an axe instead of a guy with a sword, breaking your average FE trend

20. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Because per usual none of these factors are related.