1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are to experience downtime on Monday September 21st to bring the forums up to the latest version of the software. As this is a big forum, it'll take multiple hours to transfer and then rebuild the styles. We apologise for the inconvenience. In the meantime, you'll still be able to chat in the Serebii Discord
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

That's cool tbh.

Call me crazy but I think a Microsoft rep is extremely likely now. I'd have to place money on Minecraft Steve or Master Chief. They HAVE to be big names.

Really curious to find out who the other 4 are, Joker was a huge surprise.

2. Ignition

Ignition Don’t be so hostile over a children’s franchise

Finally got my copy and I'm instantly loving it. World of Light is no Subspace Emissary but it's neat for what it is. I've been going against my group of friends with just Incineroar and I think they're tired of it lol. 2018 has been a mediocre year game wise but this is the exact opposite

3. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

If Reggie wants the DLC characters to try and act as inroads to future Switch titles, I would think the unspoken implication is that they have to be characters who could appear in a Switch title, on a theoretical level. Persona is, I think, a Sega franchise? No hang ups there. Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-Man, Bayonetta, Ryu and Ken (and/or their franchises) all have a presence on the Switch and there’s nothing on a corporate level that would prevent Cloud, Snake, Simon/Richter from doing the same in the future.

That’s not the case for an Xbox-exclusive character like Master Chief, and I would both think that’s where the line is, and hope that’s where the line is, though I obviously do not dictate policy on the count of the latter.

Erron Black likes this.
  4. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Minecraft Steve seems like the kind of character that would be in Smash, to me at least. Besides, Minecraft is already on the Switch.

My approach to this is looking at franchises that either have little to no attachment to Nintendo, or are unlikely to be identified with Nintendo. With that said, Master Chief does sound like a big possibility now.

While Tekken isn't necessarily associated with Nintendo, it already has three Nintendo titles so far, one of which contains exclusive Mario-related content. Sadly, I think that's enough to remove Tekken from the running (so long, Heihachi :( ).

What I'm really pointing to now are M-rated games, as they have been up to now the least likely to make it onto Nintendo consoles. The only M-rated series I can think of that has a long history with Nintendo is Resident Evil, which is now on its way to the Switch, with three titles releasing in 2019. Many people may not be aware of this history, however, as Resident Evil is not what comes to mind when one thinks 'Nintendo.' Due to all of this, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a character added to the DLC. It would make a great promotion for the upcoming games.

Finally, I'm gonna bring up the least likely character that would or could ever make into Super Smash Bros: Sora from Kingdom Hearts. If "expect the unexpected" is what we're going for here, Sora's the money shot. Luckily, Disney has recently secured a partnership with Nintendo (likely as a result to Nintendo's partnership with NBC Universal), so adding Disney characters to Nintendo projects are far more likely now. Of course, given the massive amount of press for Sora, if he does make the cut, he'll be the last to be announced.

As an extra note, Mortal Kombat 11 was just announced, and it's headed to the Switch. I'm gonna keep that in mind.

Minecraft, which is owned Microsoft, is currently thriving on the Nintendo Switch. I think that argument has died.

In addition, Banjo-Kazooie is also owned by Microsoft - as is all of Rare - and Microsoft Gaming vice president Phil Spencer has already voiced his support of the series being featured in Smash. Both this and Minecraft's inclusion on Switch potentially opens the door to Microsoft-owned content heading over to Smash.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  5. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

I have a question for anyone who knows.

Let's say I create a Mii Fighter, let's say a Gunner. If I then unlocked the Mii Gunner through Adventure Mode, would I still be able to use the default costume in normal play?

Edit: I tested this out, and it seems to be the case.

6. PrinceOfFacade

So I just now found All-Star Mode in Smash.

Sadly, I have to leave to go to work, but I know what I'll be doing when I get home! :D

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I said nothing about “Microsoft-owned” in general and was specifically referring to Master Chief and Halo. I’m aware Minecraft has a Nintendo presence, which is why I wasn’t referring to it. Banjo-Kazooie came to life on Nintendo hardware and Rare made their bones on propping up the SNES and the N64 with their one game every three years, which is why I wasn’t referring to Banjo and Kazooie.

Halo is essentially the Xbox family’s only notable exclusive at this stage. If - IF - Reggie was being mostly literal and mostly truthful when he explained how they want to use the remaining DLC characters, then Master Chief falls well outside that sphere, because Halo games aren’t appearing on anyone else’s hardware any time soon.

Maybe he wasn’t being literal or truthful. Maybe he was but he don’t care and he tells Microsoft “hell yeah, let’s do it!” But to whatever extent we take this all at face value, no, “that argument” has not died.

8. PrinceOfFacade

Halo has already made its semi-debut on Nintendo via Minecraft DLC, and that is the first step.

Especially considering Xbox One's blunder, Microsoft has nothing to lose at this point. Adding Master Chief to Smash will do them far more good than harm. No one is saying Halo is going to get a game on Nintendo, but mere DLC can surely continue.

9. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Unova Bound

If the criteria for these DLC characters is franchises that haven't or regularly appeared on Nintendo systems then these are my predictions.
    1. Spyro
    2. Crash Bandicoot
    3. Amaterasu (Okami)
    4. Ezio (Assassin's Creed)
    5. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
    The one character I dont want to see is Noctis from FF15. I'm really sick of seeing him in everything.

10. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

My problem with a lot of Smash speculation is that people think externally whether than internally when thinking about characters.

For example of "external thinking", I wouldn't expect Master Chief if we have not seen anyone like Kratos from God of War.

Another example, I wouldn't expect Goku if we haven't seen anyone like Luffy from One Piece.

With "internal thinking", it was more than reasonable to expect Sonic or Megaman after Snake was announced.
    Snake had games outside of Nintendo systems, most of them infact, but Sonic and Megaman have been pretty faithful to Nintendo consoles.

A common adage is to "think outside the box", but it needn't apply here.

Ignition likes this.
  11. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

Noctis is already in Smash. His name is Roy in this one though.

One thing I do think about the DLC though is that even though our first one was a huge surprise of an announcement, there's no guarantee the future ones will actually be better or more exciting and unexpected. While I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the unexpected here, Joker is an exceptional but reasonable case and I doubt all of them will be exceptional to this degree.

For further clarification, Persona is branded as an Atlus series and probably will remain as such for Smash, though they are merged under Sega for publishing in NA and I believe Europe as well. Furthermore, Atlus is generally on good terms with Nintendo, with Etrian Odyssey being a DS/3DS exclusive series that later spawned the spin-off series Persona Q, which is amusingly also 3DS exclusive despite Persona being Playstation exclusive. Notably both of these series have games still in localization to come out on the 3DS in 2019, which is astounding in itself. Supposedly the Switch is also getting another one of their flagship games on the Switch in SMT5, so all the threads are there. As a [mostly] Playstation-exclusive series, Persona is definitely an unexpected pick to say the least, but there are a lot of details that make it more reasonable than it might seem under the usual logic of Smash characters.

12. PrinceOfFacade

I'm thinking more towards Dark Souls, Resident Evil, and The World Ends with You.

Amaterasu would be dope, though.

Given Reggie Fils-Aime stated the DLC roster will contain characters whose franchises are more or less alien to Nintendo, I'd like to think there will be a few more unexpected characters.

13. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded An enigma

Battle arena.

Where you go into a lobby and have a much better chance of finding someone who actually plays by similar rules that you want.

Instead of being thrusted into a free for all when that's not even close to what you asked for.

14. PrinceOfFacade

Yeah, For Fun and For Glory definitely should have became the norm.

This new method is just dumb. I do hope they throw some patches our way for this.

15. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Gesshin Powered

Just recently got my code for the free Piranha Plant DLC, don’t have any predictions for the other four DLC characters though I have my fingers crossed Spyro or Jibanyan makes the cut. Sora is a bit of a tricky case that travelling to Disney worlds is a heavy part of Kingdom Hearts’ identity and I am not too sure about a potential Final Smash that does not involve Goofy/Donald (mostly due that I have not yet played a Kingdom Hearts game).

16. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

My personal predictions are

1. Shantae given how she is virtually a second class Nintendo character as most of her games were exclusive to Nintendo handhelds until Pirate’s Curse.
    2. Rayman or Rabbids- I’m leaning more towards the Rabbids given how successful their Mario crossover was.
    3. Spyro or Crash Bandicoot because both are retro characters from the 64 bit era
    4. Banjo Kazooie because Rare is very willing to allow them into Smash and they are beloved characters from the N64 days of 3D platforming.
    5. Dixie Kong because she is a highly requested character and almost made into the series more than once.

I’d say all of these characters have a high chance to become DLC with Banjo-Kazooie and Rabbids being the most probable with Shantae not far behind.

17. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Unova Bound

What are the odds the Rabbids would at least have costumes from their appearances in Kingdom Battle?

18. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

I’m guessing that’ll be their costumes.

19. Genos

Genos 3D All-Stars

Finally got all the characters.

I got extremely lucky with Toon Link and Pac-Man. Toon Link got hit by the ship below because me and him were swimming. And Pac-Man got hit by something while me and him were trying to move forward in his stage. :confused:

EDIT: Chrom SD'ed himself and Palutena did her Up-B off the map. Making her not land on a platform lol.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  20. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

That's true, but at the same time if Sakurai wants characters that are complete curveballs that we generally wouldn't think have a shot or anything, it's quite possible.

Frankly, all this information tells us is that all the DLC(at least if this is all we're getting and there's no 'season 2' of DLC) is likely just 3rd party characters.

Just because they're console exclusives doesn't really make them comparable tbh. Sony and Microsoft are two completely different companies. Sony and Nintendo don't really have much of a relationship and Sony is pretty strict about their IPs, whereas Microsoft and Nintendo are actually on really good terms, hell, Master Chief already has an appearance on Switch thanks to Minecraft.

And let's not just ignore that just because it's Minecraft. It's his very first appearance outside of Microsoft platforms, I believe.

Plus my point in my op was that I'm fairly certain we'll be seeing a Microsoft rep in some fashion. I just went with the two big names off the top of my head, as well, if they go with a Microsoft character it'd be better to go big rather than pick basically anything else since the only other notable characters I can even think of are B&K and a Gears of War character.

Regardless, it's mere speculation.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    PrinceOfFacade likes this.