1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are to experience downtime on Monday September 21st to bring the forums up to the latest version of the software. As this is a big forum, it'll take multiple hours to transfer and then rebuild the styles. We apologise for the inconvenience. In the meantime, you'll still be able to chat in the Serebii Discord
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Mew2

Mew2 Team Rocket's Enemy

For anyone who is having trouble unlocking characters in the Challenger Approaching fights, here's a piece of advice from someone who is far from being a top tier Smasher: use a big, strong character. My preference was Pokémon Trainer with Charizard as the starting Pokémon. His Flare Blitz will kill at relatively low percentages if the enemy is anywhere close to the edge and Charizard has enough bulk to take some hits, too in order to set up a Flare Blitz finish. In addition, Flare Blitz covers a lot of ground so you don't have to be all that close to your opponent to use it and have it hurt. You'll take some recoil, but that shouldn't matter since it'll be used as a finishing move. If you're caught in a Challenger Approaching fight without using Charizard, though, any strong character that can deliver a big punch and also take a hit, such as Donkey Kong, will do and I had the most success with them, even though I don't main either Pokémon Trainer or Donkey Kong, though that might change in the future. I really like Pokémon Trainer in this game.

PrinceOfFacade likes this.
  2. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Thanks. This helps quite a bit.

3. shoz999

shoz999 Sure, sure. Go for it.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but you know which Echo Fighter definitely deserves to be it's own character? Dark Samus. For those who played the Metroid Prime games, Dark Samus isn't really a "Dark" counterpart of Samus. Dark Samus is actually Metroid Prime who corrupted one of Samus's suits, becoming a ghostly entity that feeds off of Phazon, able to corrupt entire planets with it. In fact, Dark Samus's fighting style is also far more brutal and more boss-like than Samus that honestly I think the Assist Trophy from Wii U fitted Dark Samus's playstyle then the Echo Fighter from Ultimate. Essentially Dark Samus's energy blasts and energy beams are much bigger, she can dive-bomb similar to Bowser or Incinerorar, create a blast radius of phazon around her and she can create Matrix-style clones which I think would be a cool and alternate way of dodging attacks. I feel like Dark Samus should be a much more heavy-hitting slow-like-a-ghost character with fast dodges. I feel like they should give Dark Samus the "Luigi" treatment where it feels similar to Samus but it feels different enough that it's it own character.

4. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

Shantae is a relatively unknown indie character. Her chances of getting in the main game are already pretty slim, there's no way she'd be chosen as DLC.

5. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

I disagree. Risky’s Revenge is the highest selling game to be released on the DSi eShop and every game in the series continues to be best sellers. She is also a Spirit within Smash Bros Ultimate And could become playable if Nintendo wanted it.

6. Dragalge

Dragalge Leaked footage

Why are there stages that lock some Pokemon? How odd that Marshadow suffers this a lot especially! Like what makes it so dangerous compared to other Pokemon!

7. PrinceOfFacade

I think it's worth noting again that the DLC roster will contain characters with little to no affiliation with Nintendo.

Selling well on Nintendo platforms is not going to help this time around. While just about anyone has a shot at this point, let's not assume that one character is more likely to get in than another, especially because of their affiliation with Nintendo.

8. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

Yeah it seems like this time, they're specifically going for the unsafe,RKO OUTTA NOWHERE! characters.

I ain't even gonna try to make a prediction, but as for who I'd like to see, there's

-Monokuma
    -Sol Badguy or Ragna
    -Android 21 because I can't stop thinking about it
    -Laharl or Etna from Disgaea
    -Yuri Lowell
    -Chrono

PrinceOfFacade likes this.
  9. PrinceOfFacade

Okay, I'm just gonna say this. Listing Ken as an Echo Fighter was the dumbest thing ever.

He hardly fights like Ryu at all. He has more combos, more kicking moves, different specials, different throws, and different Final Smashes. There are very few similarities between Ken and Ryu. Listing Ken as an Echo Fighter just makes zero sense.

10. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

The complaint about Brawl: "too many clones!"
    The complaint about Ultimate: "too many Echo Fighters! They should have been distinct!"

We really can't ever be happy.

11. FlorgesPower2

FlorgesPower2 Anime fanatic

The peer to peer system stinks.

It doesn't fix lag because most players (generally casuals) aren't dedicated enough to go out and buy a LAN for a game they may play for like 2 months, it made matchmaking nonfunctional for 1v1's because s*** lagfeast free-for alls are more popular than actual skill. When you do finally get a competitive PvP you can't switch characters, so if you get an unfavorable match-up you're just s*** outta luck. Same thing with the arena, switch characters and lose your spot.

Want Elite Smash to just fix everything? Have fun reliably getting enough GSP that you can easily lose in a laggy item filled team battle.

Good lord how is this worse Smash 4? Lmao

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Mr. Reloaded likes this.
  12. PrinceOfFacade

Who said that?

13. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

Yeah, they're... not gonna choose a DLC character because an 8-year old game sold well on the DSi eshop. DLC characters need to sell themselves, and Shantae just isn't popular enough to do that.

Mr. Reloaded likes this.
  14. Born Better

I disagree that Shantae wouldn't sell. She's like the 2nd most popular indie character after Shovel Knight. Not that think she's gonna happen since they're going for characters no one would expect or think about.

Captain Jigglypuff likes this.
  15. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

I think it’d be bizarre if the Smash DLC took a sudden turn and someone from Mortal Kombat like Scorpion made it in. I bet that’d make a lot of players confused.

16. PrinceOfFacade

Dude, they added Pit 15 years after his last game, and Duck Hunt Duo 30 years after theirs.

Time and sales hardly matter.

17. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

I think you missed the point.

My argument was that, say for argument's sake that Kratos got in Smash first. Let's say he became the very next DLC fighter.

At that point, we could safely accept that Master Chief can become a fighter.

Since no character that is owned by and exclusive to a console manufacturer has made it in Smash Bros., I wouldn't assume that it could happen.

The third party characters we have had never been made by other console manufacturers. It seems farfetched that Nintendo of all groups want to include those type of characters.

At least Persona has been on Nintendo systems. Plus, since it is NOT owned by one system, we could get Persona 5 on Switch.

I'm not saying it will happen, but there is a distinct possibility.

18. PrinceOfFacade

Good point.

Sakurai did say getting the licenses for characters is like pulling teeth. Getting the licenses for those characters would definitely be a hassle. Again, it's more than likely why we never got Sora.

19. Born Better

Sora is one character I actually think has no chance whatsoever just because of Disney.

20. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

Then wait 2 months for the "casuals" a snob like you can't let play a game online...as well as abuse, gaslight and bully them to "git gud" or stop playing to go away....

Jesus Christ on a Pogo Stick,, I hate this mentality.