1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

Again...don't trust that "poll".

2. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

A new Famitsu column from Sakurai details DLC development.

From the sound of it, Sakurai wants to work on Ultimate as long as he can.

Though I wonder if the future proof character slots will limit that.

For those that don't know, with the base game completed, there were 16 "dummy" slots that can be used for future characters.
    With Piranha Plant and the fighters pass, there would be 10 more.

3. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

Hopefully more dummy slots can be added. I want Smash to reach 100 playable characters one day.

4. Platina2000

Platina2000 Well-Known Member

That would be AWESOME! Sounds impossible, but with the way Ultimate's going, it might not be too unlikely.

5. Auraninja

I'm not a programming expert, but I don't know how easily they can add any other slots.
    You also have to keep in mind, that they may not even get to all the slots, they may just add, say, 5 more characters after the first fighters pass.

6. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

It also isn't impossible by any means that after the DLC for Ultimate ends, they could just end up porting Ultimate to the next gen console and do even more DLC that way.

Not an expert at all with this stuff by any means, but I believe they'd need to get the rights for all those characters again, so not too sure there. Although, let's be honest, if those companies agreed to let them use these characters already, they'd more than likely be okay with it a second, third, or fourth time.

7. RedR

RedR Well-Known Member

I stand by that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was the greatest crossover fighter of the 2000's with 56 fighters.
    Smash Bros Special/Ultimate has earned the spot of the greatest crossover fighter of the 2010's with 80+ fighters!
    I wonder what the greatest crossover fighter of the 2020's will be?

I hope the true successor to Melee's adventure mode is added into ultimate, even as paid DLC.

Also, if the Splatoon X Fortnite is happening, expect some fortnite characters in smash. We've already had the fortnite switch bundle, and corocoro comics heavily promotes fortnite, too.

Also, I hope Terry Bogard has some alt character outfits like hero.

8. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Sakurai often speaks of what a pain it was to negotiate again with Konami and Square and the other more distant third parties. Obviously yes, he was able to make it work for Ultimate, but it’s not the sort of thing that should be taken for granted in future installments.

That’s unlikely, both from a practical standpoint and even more so if you believe him when he says Home Run Contest is the final mode.

RedR likes this.
  9. Auraninja

Not that Fortnite content couldn't come to Smash (I'm not the arbiter on that at least), but there isn't a high degree of certainty that Fortnite content will make it to Smash.
    We have other content crossovers that didn't make it to Smash.

RedR likes this.
  10. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

Adding & removing slots is fairly trivial in the grandscheme. They're just placeholders. At launch there was 30 of the things and they trimmed it down at some point. In contrast smash 4 didn't even have placeholders at launch and had them added over time.

They could remove every place holder next patch and then add 10 characters or add a dozen and never actually "fill them in".

RedR likes this.
  11. RedR

RedR Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying.

But I think it's suspicious that sakurai said it was "pretty much" our final new mode. It should be a definitve "yes" or "no," so i think something else is coming, and probably paid.

12. Gamzee Makara

But why Melee's adventure mode specifically? Why not Brawl's or Smash Run from 3DS? Why not Custom Moves?

RedR likes this.
  13. RedR

RedR Well-Known Member

Forgot all about smash run! that would be sweet online! :)

Genos and Gamzee Makara like this.
  14. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking. Maybe yes, maybe no, but there's just no foundation to conclude that on the basis of "pretty much." Harkens back to the build-up to Brawl when people were trying to arrive at concrete conclusions because of everyday word dressing like "up until now."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 7:18 AM
  15. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

It's not impossible that we could get another mode in the future, but from the way Sakurai put it, he really made it sound like there wouldn't be anymore.

I'm guessing that their main focus from here on out is going to be on DLC fighters and getting them out faster and more frequently rather than bringing in other new trinkets and toys.

16. Ignition

Ignition My son finally did it

Honestly I just want Crash and, for an out there pick, Funky Kong. I got my most wanted character in already so I’m pleased already.

Finally got all the available spirits. Can’t wait fot Terry’s set

17. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

18. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

Characters I want most for DLC are Shantae, Dixie Kong, Cecil from FF IV, Kafka from FF VI, Sora (highly unlikely), Koume and Kotake who act similarly to Ice Climbers where one sister takes the lead depending on the color you choose and their main projectile shots will either be icy or fiery depending on who is in charge and they form Twinrova as their Smash and alternate the elemental blasts all across the stage, and Dr Eggman mainly because Sonic needs one more rep. I’d also wish that they’d made a Ms PAC Man alt costume who is essentially PAC Man only her items she tosses out are slightly different with the Galaxian being replaced by an 8 Bit Mappy that makes a retro whistle sound when it hits an opponent.

19. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

Disney couldn’t even work out a deal with Sony where they already had 100% of merchandising rights, there’s so way Smash would work well with them.

20. Gamzee Makara

Spirit, Spirit, FF is represented already, FF is represented already, DIsney-owned so 4th-party, Spirit. and Spirit.

I REALLY think people should NOT get their hopes up about things already in the game(s) being "upgraded"...PapaGenos and others on YouTube are wrong about more fighters after the pass="Upgraded" previous content being on the table.
    And I want a native Japanese speaker, from Japan, who is proficient in modern English, unaffiliated with and not invested in Nintendo or any other potential 3rd party developer and their IPs, AND is a mentally mature adult, to translate that supposedly liberating Tweet Sakurai made. Otherwise I don't buy into the idea that Geno, Waluigi, Shantae, Shadow the Hedgehog, Shovel Knight and other "popular" requests are back on the table. No matter how much I want Mach Rider(Spirit) and Mike Jones(Chronicle in Brawl), I want the most neutral party possible to translate that tweet to foolproof its translation.

Expect MORE unrepresented(by Spirits or otherwise) 3rd Parties and Brand Spankin' NEW 1st-Party IPs ONLY. And if you believe that upgrades are "POSSIBLE", look at the dataminer's dissection of SSBU's coding and tell me that's possible.

Remember, they have to be from a series NOT IN ANY SMASH GAME IN ANY FORM, and must be from a video game, and must hae been on a Nintendo Console in SOME FORM(Cloud for FF, Joker for Shin Megami Tensei and Terry as The King of Fighters video game universes' reps), series-wise.

Also, this is not Overwatch:Main characters do not get new skins, only generics like the Mii Fighters.