1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "And just what are you starin' at?"

I think Sakurai has gone bonkers.

Oh, wait. It's apparently a picture-a-day deal he's been doing with the team (using some development tools) that he's publishing on twitter.

2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

We're getting a Pokemon Direct this week, but I don't know if FP5 will be revealed there (if it is a Sword & Shield Pokemon).

3. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

As of the past year and a half, A Pokémon Direct one week results in a full Direct the next week.

There's an update for upcoming Amibo compatibility coming soon.

We're in the endgame now, boiz.

Also, Devil May Cry is released and will make further releases on Switch. That removes Dante's creator-stated barrier to him being in Smash. Also, his English VA told us to watch next week on Thursday and a date in late February for Devil May Cry news.

This helps Dante significantly in terms of speculation.

*anti-speculation people hissss like vampires instantly*

Arle Naja from Puyo Puyo, KOS-MOS from the XENO series, Doom Marine/Slayer/Guy from Doom, Geno from Super Mario RPG:Legend of the Seven Stars, Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia, Reimu from Touhou, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, a First-party rep and the Dragonborn from Skyrim remain front-runners in my list of likely characters.

*More vampire hisssssing*

I'm just excited for people to finally learn what HOME is, and the inevitable Full Direct next week likely announcing #5(And hopefully more)

4. Dragalge

Dragalge Lucy Eiscue

Well now I’ll be really surprised if we don’t get one of the Galarian starters as a fighter considering they can now use Gigantamax as a potential Final Smash.

5. AuraChannelerChris

Please be Inteleon. Don't really care if we need Rillaboom just to fill in a Grass-starter slot.

Weavy and Bguy7 like this.
  6. I'm going to press X to doubt on the Nintendo Direct next week, just because Pokemon had a Direct doesn't always necessarily mean Nintendo themselves are going to do a Direct to follow suit.

They do a Direct each Business Quarter, one for Jan-Mar "Winter", two for Apr-Jun "Spring" due to E3, one in July-Sept "Summer" although mostly in Sept to hype up the holiday season, and one in Oct-Dec "Fall/Holiday" although they started to skip that because they don't focus on 3DS games anymore - games they would release in Feb-May.

We had a Pokemon Direct following the Nintendo Direct last year specifically because since going international in 2013, GameFreak had announced the past two new generations in February.

Not to mention, which GameFreak saying that Pokemon Home will release in February, and Sakurai said the Fighters Pass would last until Feb 2020, I'm willing to bet that we'd be more likely to get a Direct in February - We'll get a special message from Pokemon giving the exact day when Home will launch (likely Feb 27th) and we'll get FP#5 announced, then Sakurai will do a presentation on FP#5 after the Direct with a release immediately after.

7. AuraChannelerChris

The newest amiibo figures are coming in less than two weeks.

A Direct could happen right before or right when those figures release.

8. Dark Samus and Richter release next week specifically. (Good use on saying amiibo figures instead of saying "amiibos")

And they could also do a Direct a week later. I don't think Nintendo ever really cared about the craziness of amiibo collectors, especially the ones who get bent out of shape that there was a crease in the packaging.

9. AuraChannelerChris

Eh, I'm using the amiibo part just because reminding people about them in a Direct seems very marketable. It may or may not be a good hint for an incoming Direct.

10. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

11. AuraChannelerChris

And that's how Astral Chain's chances for being represented take a hit.

(RE may have gotten a hit, but it still can use more images to use for a DLC board.)

12. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

Two of the Astral Chain spirits are as follows.

Astral Chain protagonist (Male): Chrom: Ace
    Astral Chain protagonist (Female): Zero Suit Samus: Ace

13. Ignition

Ignition Wake me up when get to Sinnoh

14. Genos

Genos Sword

"Reveal the fighter on a Nintendo direct? Pfft No I'll do it my way!" -Sakurai

15. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

So who do think it will be? Most Youtubers I’ve noticed are predicting Shenmue or Dante with a couple suggesting Crash Bandicoot or Travis Touchdown. I personally think it won’t be any of those four but something really unexpected like Cadence from Crypt of the NecroDancer or even Tempo from HarmoKnight to represent the rhythm based genre.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 3:59 PM
  16. Platina2000

Platina2000 Well-Known Member

I want Sora as much as the next person, but I simply don't see it ever happening, because Disney and Square. Enough said... Instead, I hope it's a character no one expects or asked for. Keeps things fresh and surprising. Sure it'll cause the whole 'we got a character literally nobody asked for' thing to stir back up, but like I said... Besides, in my opinion, if it IS a character that everyone wants, it'll just be like 'oh, he/she's in now. Happy people? Next!' Basically, the hype kinda ruins the surprise, so I hope the reveal counters that again like they did with Terry.

17. Captain Jigglypuff

I don’t think Square would have a problem with Sora but Disney would. The company is extremely strict over licensing its characters and property. The only character co-created by Walt Disney himself that could have been used in media in any form was Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Who was in the public domain for decades and mostly forgotten about until Disney bought back the rights to the character. Disney is extremely difficult to work with for crossovers and honestly it was a miracle we even got the first Kingdom Hearts game.

18. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a Bandai Namco representative, like Jin Kazama from Tekken or KOS-MOS from Xenosaga.

19. Captain Jigglypuff

I think that is very likely. Bandai Namco pretty much is the only major developer to be part of Smash Ultimate to be missing a second representative for the company. Nintendo has the the most, Sega has Sonic and Bayonetta, Rare has Banjo Kazooie with Diddy and K.Rool being formerly owned by the company, Square has Hero and Cloud, Konami has Snake and the Belmonts, And Capcom has Ryu, Ken, and Mega Man. All Bandai Namco have is Pac Man.

20. Ignition

Ignition Wake me up when get to Sinnoh

I'm personally hoping for Crash or Dante but I have no issue with anyone as I got my dream character in.