• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think Tempo from HarmoKnight would be interesting as a Fighter. My idea for him is that some of his moves aren’t that powerful when used alone but if you press a button rhythmically, each hit gets progressively stronger until it hits a max cap of damage. Basically Tempo starts swinging his staff and the sound effect that is heard is the basic musical notation scale with two additional High C note sounds before Tempo does a spin and holds up the staff in a pose.

Tsukuyomi56

Gesshin Powered
Great...the reveal for Fighter Pass character #5 just had to be on a very un-convenient time for fans over in Australia (I think it takes place during midnight). Hopefully it is a character that I am interested in, everyone bar Joker so far has so far not interested me.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Great...the reveal for Fighter Pass character #5 just had to be on a very un-convenient time for fans over in Australia (I think it takes place during midnight).

Want to trade times? I'd rather stay up until midnight than get up at 6 am. That's when it is for people on the US west coast.

Dragalge

Custom title: If specified, this will replace the
Not expecting FP1 from Fighters Pack 2 to be announced in this but Sakurai has shattered expectations here and there. Hopefully we get a good one tomorrow!

Also expecting some Mii costumes too. It’d be hilarious if this next batch had Byleth and the three TH lords.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
What we really need is DLC Poke Ball summons and Assist Trophies. I'd love to see Lycanroc and Noivern added this way.

Ignition

Sinnoh Season
I'm not exactly mad that
Byleth
was added but feels weird having 4 3rd parties and then one first party to finish off this pack

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The only thing weird to me was the setup. For someone that was said to be super secret and a surprise, I wouldn’t expect the main character of a huge first party series that came out last year to be one.

Byleth confirmed! I'm happy that we're getting an first-party DLC character (after Piranha Plant).
I hope we will get more first-party DLC characters, like Gen 8 Pokemon.

FE haters are salty, aren't they? lol

Last edited:

Genos

Brilliant Diamond
It explains why there was no announcement in the VGAs last year.

EDIT: I would've prefer Edelgard, but this character is fine.

OMG Altair and Cuphead outfit. I'm so buying those!

Last edited:

BCVM22

I guess fighter no. 5 being yet another Fire Emblem character isn’t as big of an issue with six (?!) more DLC characters on the way.

Rakurai

Not exactly the best way to end the first set of DLC characters, IMO.

Byleth looks like a fun character gameplay wise (He/she seems to handle even more like a super heavyweight then Ike does with Robin-tier slowness and extreme range/power on most of their kit) but the previous four DLC set a rather high bar for expectations.

I think there would've been less of a backlash if they released them later because they're really the odd one out of the bunch; the previous four having come from unrepresented franchise (Though people would've complained regardless because too much FE or whatever).

Considering the choices they made for the Mii costumes this time they still seem very keen on giving as many game worlds as possible representation so there's bound to be something that throws people for a loop within the coming six.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Derogatory term for sexual workers and promiscuous people identifying as female that refers to a common gardening tool used to cut and dig up weeds are angry.

This is how you make this character work. Not just a Copypasta with different elements. Actual cool mechanics. And a Polearm Character FINALLY!

ALso, Sakurai flipped off the haters while "counting" in binary. I love it.

Pokemon Power

OK, wasn't expecting Byleth since Three Houses was released after Smash Ultimate, but it's understandable since it's the latest Fire Emblem game.
The Mega Man X and .EXE costumes are back along with Ubisoft characters and Cuphead, pretty cool.
As for Fighters Pass vol. 2, if you count Piranha Plant, the first Fighters Pass had two Nintendo characters and four third-party guests. So I believe for this, it will be the inverse, four Nintendo fighters and two third-party guests. I predict Sceptile, Urshifu, Porky, Lana from Hyrule Warriors, a Bandai Namco rep, and a Sony rep.

bobjr

Staff member
Sakurai is a huge FE fan, so while Smash is biased for FE, it’s literally because of Sakurai himself, so it would have to be someone forcing him to not do it.

bobjr

Staff member
Reminder that Male Byleth's previous VA, Chris Niosi aka Kirbopher, got booted from the game around release because he broke NDA bragging about how he would get to be in Smash and also was revealed to be a sex pest

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm not exactly mad that
Byleth
was added but feels weird having 4 3rd parties and then one first party to finish off this pack
That's me too. A bit tired of Fire Emblem characters making the cut though.

Tsukuyomi56

Gesshin Powered
Getting Byleth as character #5 was quite unexpected though it is nice they are the second Fire Emblem that gets to use weapons other than swords. Also great that we are getting six more characters after the Fighter Pass.