1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

On a more serious note, I know to some of you it's just another Fire Emblem character but to be honest, I think Byleth's playstyle looks way more fun than the previous four characters and the gameplay in my opinion is worth the purchase alone. Especially considering that I think Byleth's playstyle, a focus on heavy and distance, is a type of character that Smash hasn't really done before. If you look at it that way, he really does feel like a newer character compared to the previous four.

On another note, to the guys who got trolled. You guys and gals shouldn't even be mad. How Sakurai manage to take trolling to a new level? You people should be impressed. No joke this time, that's freaking amazing.

Finally, does anyone else thinks Fire Emblem should get their Smash-clone spinoff considering how unique the FE character's playstyles are in Smash? I'm not talking about your traditional 2D plane fighter games, I mean a literal smash clone.

2. Ignition

Ignition Champion SZN

I'm enjoying Three Houses but this was really underwhelming as the final character for this round. The previous 5 DLC characters brought more innovative ideas (especially Joker and Hero) and Byleth's "gimmick" of having different weapons for each special is cool but it's nothing new (though I admit I always wanted an axe and/or lance based fighter). At least Cuphead is in the game and we're getting at least 6 more fighters.

Wish people would stop with the "be grateful" mindset. Just as annoying as people who swear Sakurai is personally out to disappoint them

shoz999 likes this.
  3. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Byleth is the new DLC. I’m sorry but I feel slightly annoyed by this. I am not a fan of the Fire Emblem series and it is a bit annoying how characters from the series keep being shoved but at least Byleth has a weapon that can turn into other weapons which is unique. I just wish that Smash would stop putting in FE characters into the games and give some under represented series some more love like Star Fox or F-Zero. Maybe Yoshi if they do something like an alternate Yoshi carrying around Baby Mario or Luigi. Pokémon can get away with so many reps because there are literally hundreds of them to choose and be unique in the game. And Mario can because it’s Nintendo’s flagship series. I was right about the DLC Fighter not being Dante, Shenmue, Crash, or Travis Touchdown.

shoz999 likes this.
  4. shoz999

Personally I've always wanted to see Isaac of Golden Sun and Saki or Achi of Sin & Punishment in Smash. The Sin & Punishment one especially would be nice since there aren't a lot of gunner characters. For those not familiar with that series, not surprised since it's that underrated, it's like Nintendo's answer to Neon Genesis Evangelion if that makes any sense lol.

5. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

The Byleths (sic) are just more rivals for Link.

6. Captain Jigglypuff

Tempo from HarmoKnight could be a very unique fighter in Smash if done right. Just have his Specials be rhythm based button taps where each hit increases damage but it has a max limit and number of hits to avoid being spammed and in the beginning the hits start of slow and then speed up but at the cost of Tempo being open to be hit and have his hit chain combo broken.

shoz999 likes this.
  7. Ascended Dialga

Ascended Dialga Nothing special

On one hand, it's annoying that we're getting yet another Fire Emblem character. On the other hand, Byleth's moveset with the four different weapons looks pretty cool.

8. shoz999

One character I've always wanted to see is the vengeful Sylux from Metroid. Metroid isn't a character-driven series but Sylux is one of the few characters of lore that's intriguing and that the Metroid devs wants to explore more in Prime 4. Actually maybe we could see Sylux in Smash? Him as one of the six DLC fighters would be great marketing for Metroid Prime 4. I'd imagined he'd by like a gunner character similar to Samus only his gun-based abilities are themed around electricity.

9. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

Byleth is in 100% because of Sakurai. To get rid of FE you have to get rid of him first.

10. shoz999

And no one wants to gets rid of Sakurai.

Crazed-eyed Waluigi fans: Are you sure about that?

wolf jani and Pokemon Power like this.
  11. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

**** Fire Emblem.
    There is one Sonic character...... ONE!
    FE even has more characters than the actual good Nintendo franchises, Pokemon and Mario. And that isn't for a lack of characters! Mario can add Waluigi and Paper Mario characters/Fawful, while Pokemon has endless amounts of Pokemon to choose from(And needs gen 8 rep!)!
    Why does such an utter **** franchise deserve the most characters? People out here don't even know what that series is apart from it hogging Smash's DLC every damn time for no good reason!

This makes me SO glad I didn't buy the season pass and chose to just buy Banjo himself. The other choices aren't bad or anything, it's great new franchises got in. But you'd think if they added in another character from a franchise currently in the game, you'd think it would be somebody actually in freaking demand like I don't know.... Waluigi or Shadow the Hedgehog?

12. bobjr

Fire Emblem is good

13. Captain Jigglypuff

Is he the one of the creators of the series? I wasn’t saying take out everything FE either. Just not keep on putting so many of the series’ characters into Smash if they mostly rely on a sword. If there was a FE wielding a battle axe or lance at all times then I’d be okay since it is different than what we usually get. Robin was fine because he used the book to create attack spells which was something not seen in Smash when it came to someone with a sword. Ike was interesting since he has that huge sword that he was able to swing around freely with one hand which not even Cloud can do with his Cloud Buster. Corrin was sort of pushing it with the sword but at least the dragon thing was different. Byleth switching weapons at least keeps it fresh unlike Lucina who was essentially Marth in Drag when she was introduced. I tried to play FE The Sacred Stones and while it wasn’t a bad game, I just couldn’t get too invested into the game itself.

14. bobjr

He got into Fire Emblem around 2012-13 and became a superfan of it. So it’s creator bias for sure, but that does mean if you want to get rid of the bias you have to get rid of the creator.

15. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom @JohanSSB4 Twitter

Fire Emblem is Sakurai's favorite game franchise. He's played all the games, often at release date.

Nintendo will offer the characters to be considered, but Sakurai is still human. He's going to naturally gravitate to characters from games he enjoys, even if its at the expense of other potential characters.

To cut off FE content in Smash, you'd have to take away the Fan from the process, not the Developer.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/26/fe25/

wolf jani likes this.
  16. Captain Jigglypuff

I was thinking that Boktai’s Django would be also an interesting fighter. The only thing is how would his Gun de Sol work? He would need to charge energy at some point after running out of sunlight much like the Inklings after depleting their pain supply. But Django can’t just summon the sun to recharge. So how could he work well in Smash?

17. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Oh, look. A comment."

Only DLC fighter I don't like is Joker. I like him as a fighter, but the fact you still have to bother to buy a PS3/PS4 to play his main game outside of spin-offs is stupid. I was totally expecting a port (and that could have eased the salt a bit when P5R was announced).

BK, not so much, since at least those who played their games may still have a working N64 around.

Dragalge likes this.
  18. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

What I really want is a new Pikachu design inspired by his design in the Detective Pikachu movie (you know, with realistic fur?)

19. Auraninja

Auraninja Gre-nin-ja!

There are 6 more fighter passes though. Even if people didn't like this one, there are more to possibly be excited about.

Out of what you suggested, I feel like we will get another Gen 8 Pokemon, but I could be wrong.

Paper Mario is somewhat possible.

Some of the other suggestions I don't really see happening. Taking Waluigi and Shadow for example, what really hurts their chances, more than even being Assist Trophies imo, is that they are not from unique games of their respective series. This is especially true for Waluigi. The way the DLC is constructed, we also get a stage, and a new line of music. Shadow does have his own game, but I don't seem them cramming Shadow the Hedgehog music in the game.

Fire Emblem, as I mentioned, is somewhat anthological, and Three Houses had no previous representation.

20. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

We just might get stages and music without characters too. In particular many stage ideas that should have been realized in the base game (like Aether Foundation) but an emphasis was instead placed on bringing back old stages.