1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Random fact but someone just reminded me that the guy who voices male Byleth, Zack Aguilar, also does the English voice for Tanjiro from Demon Slayer, Genos from One-Punch Man and... huh... Koichi from JoJo's Bizarre Adventures. Interesting, he voices best character. According to him, it's a childhood dream of his to voice a character in Smash. That sounds like a lot of fun.

TheCharredDragon likes this.
  2. Bguy7

Bguy7 Team Rocket Member, Speaking Officially

How so? Not that I'm particularly fond of Corrin, but wasn't his addition to Smash Bros Wii U under the exact same circumstances as Byleth's inclusion in Ultimate? They're both the protagonist character of a popular Fire Emblem game that came out around the time of the Smash Bros' respective release and was added in as DLC as a result. So what makes Byleth inevitable (your words, not mine), but Corrrin a mistake?

Given, I do agree that Corrin was the straw that broke the camel's back, and if he never happened not nearly as many people (likely myself included) would be as annoyed with the number of Fire Emblem characters.

3. Oh I don't dislike sword fighters in general. I absolutely loved the inclusion of The Hero from the Dragon Quest games since Dragon Quest has played a significant role in gaming history and the history of fantasy RPG's in general.

It's just that it's another FE character that's a swordfighter. Granted, I'm glad he isn't just the generic thing like Marth or Ike are (the last FE I've played was Path of Radiance so I had no clue who Byleth even was). It was just a letdown that it was a character from a franchise that's already so well represented in the Smash series instead of something new like the other 4 DLC characters have been so far. I wouldn't have minded another swordfighter from another series (let's say the Tales series or something) and then Byleth joining in during DLC pack 2. It just seems like quite a mediocre finale of a DLC pack that brought characters we'd never think would actually join Smash in the first place.

shoz999 and wolf jani like this.
  4. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

The good news is that however not fond of Byleth one is (I have zero use for the character, personally), it's considerably easier to accept the character as no. 5 out of 11 than it would have been to accept the character as no. 5 out of 5.

Auraninja and Psynergy like this.
  5. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

The last main Tales protagonist eats people with her hand.

6. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

Don't forget that if it weren't for Smash FE would have never come to the West

I also want to say that characters from games like Fire Emblem should not be voiced by American actors in English. These characters should be voiced by Brits.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  7. Dragalge

Dragalge Ancient Gilbert

It’s not like they promised that the 5th character would be someone super special. Yes Sakurai said Byleth was kept super secret but being kept a secret doesn’t equal being something super unique and amazing!

8. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Byleth is acceptable in my eyes because he isn’t a carbon copy of another FE like Marth/Lucina or Roy. He does seem interesting to me and I do want to try him out. I may not be a FE fan but I will accept that there are players out there that like the series and I respect them for their own likes and dislikes. I just wished another overlooked series got the spot though.

9. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

What people want doesn't matter anymore. It was all picked ahead of time.

So complaining won't get a sudden reversal of Byleth in favor of, say, Steve/Crash/Spyro/Master Chief/Waluigi, who are ALWAYS the people who hate the "FE Swords" thing whine and moan about "Not getting in RIGHT NOW", while claiming their impatience disguised as righteous fury is "valid" because only they are angry. If your cause is just, it doesn't need external validation. Being angry together isn't validation, just mob mentality.

Crash has nothing unique(Incineroar, Luigi and Dr. Mario spin. Pit has shield-shaped shields. Snake has a big gun. Jetpacks are covered by Diddy. And Pac-Man has fruit). Spyro would be a mini Charizard with a few more elements with a edgy darkness darkness Final Smash. Steve would not work like Mr. Game & Watch. Waluigi WILL. NOT. GET. IN. AFTER. SAKURAI. WAS. DEATH. THREATENED. AND. MIYAMOTO. PUT. THE. KIBOSH. ON. HIM. Master Chief would just "space gun" Snake.

10. bobjr

FE takes inspiration from too many sources to be nailed down to one area. Considering that The Crusades, the whole continent of Europe, and Japan have been used as settings just to name a few, it would be really silly for some of them to have British accents

11. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

The simple explanation is that FE Fates pretty consistently ranks among the worst entries in the series for most fans, everything about that release was a giant mess (character controversy, multiple "versions", and more). On top of that, Corrin is without a doubt the most disliked protagonist in the series. Obviously Corrin had to have been planned ahead of time (like Byleth), before it turned out that "oops this game sucked" but that's a different debate on FE representation and DLC planning entirely.

On the other hand, 3 Houses is likely the biggest commercial success in the series and drew in many people (even won the VGA Player's Choice award), so even if Byleth wasn't already planned ahead of time for this slot, it's highly likely they would've fit them in one of the later slots in set 2 anyway. Don't get me wrong, 3 Houses and Byleth aren't perfect either, and there are definitely Corrin fans and Fates fans that are happy to see Corrin in the game. However, it goes without saying that many more FE fans are happy to see a 3 Houses character get into Smash than they were to see Corrin get into Smash.

But as BCVM22 stated, it's better to look at this as just one character out of the 11 rather than character 5 of 5 for Set 1. Yeah, you're forced to get Byleth if you purchase Fighter Pass 1 so if someone hates Byleth's inclusion then that sucks for them, but I doubt everyone loves all 4 of the other characters as well so that's not entirely unique to Byleth. Personally I'm not a big fan of Banjo but I've got no issues with having him, and I'll probably get the second pass two knowing full well that I probably won't love all 6 characters either because in my opinion the amount of content definitely justifies the price over time.

12. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

I can say for sure that American accents for these characters (and not just Fire Emblem, but many fantasy games with swords) are highly inappropriate. I'm surprised Europeans haven't complained about this openly.

13. bobjr

Accents change all the time, a British accent and language 150 years ago will sound way different than modern British.

Basically it's a fantasy game in a fictional world, some cultural rules like accents don't need to apply.

14. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Magikazam!"

I'm glad we all speak the language of Fodlan.

Dragalge likes this.
  15. Dragalge

Dragalge Ancient Gilbert

Fates got the gameplay part right save for Revelations, something that can’t be said for Three Houses and especially Echoes. Besides, FE never has been that great in the story-telling department save for Tellius and to a lesser extent, Jugdral. Three Houses’ story (at least what I witnessed thus far) is a step up from the 3DS games but it still has issues that make it pale in comparison to the aforementioned continents. But yeah not the thread for this!

I was fine with Corrin’s inclusion. I would say he’s more unique than Byleth despite having a counter since he basically uses his draconian body 90% of the time unlike the latter that just uses more weapons.

Ignition likes this.
  16. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Fire Emblem games would make great movies especially if made entirely in England with all-English casts and crew (aside from a few Japanese crew members carried over from the games) to follow up on the success of the Harry Potter movies

Also I have the headcanon that Male and Female Byleth are twin siblings (same with Robin and Corrin). Also note that Byleth is an anagram of Blythe a character from the 2012 Littlest Pet Shop cartoon.

17. bobjr

I think I need to lie down for a little after seeing a post like that.

18. Bguy7

Bguy7 Team Rocket Member, Speaking Officially

Oh, wow. I had no idea that was the public perception of Fates. I had always got the impression that it was really popular. I'll take back what I said then.

19. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

It is really popular. It is as popular as FF8 is to the Final Fantasy fans as in it's still very popular, it's still good but it will always live in the shadow of it's far better and more beloved entries.

On another note, thinking about it. I actually wouldn't mind more Fire Emblem characters in the future on one condition though. They have to be unique in terms of playstyle rather than just another generic swordsman/echo fighter. Like Robin's magic-based fighting style, Corrin's dragon fighting style and now Byleth's distance fighting style plus a multitude of weapons. Although I will admit out of all the Fire Emblem characters I would like to see lol, it'd have to be the Black Knight which is just another swordsman character. I suppose he'd be much heavier than Ganondorf and he'd be able to "shoot" blades like Cloud can but ultimately he'd still be more closer to a swordsman character. Would still be cool to see though since he's Nintendo's answer to Darth Vader. Plus if you'd had to include a Fire Emblem villain, I'd imagine it'd be him, since he's possibly the most well-known FE villain, or Medeus who is the original villain of Fire Emblem. Although in my opinion, I'd think Medeus would be perfect as a bossfight for Smash.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  20. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I’d be okay with another FE character being added as long as they have something unique to them and not a carbon copy of another character in Smash. It was bad enough that Lucina was essentially Marth in Drag during Smash 4. A magic user like Robin, Corrin’s dragon, and Byleth switching weapons make them feel different than the sword users. If we got someone with a battle axe, Lance, or bow user as a fighter I’d be okay with that too since they represent how battling in FE works and we don’t have anyone currently in Smash that uses a lance or a battle axe as a weapon until Byleth is released. I’d also like to see under represented series get fighters in the DLC and no more for FE until the next Smash game. Under represented series I think deserve more fighters are Sonic with Tails and/or Dr Eggman, Yoshi with a Baby carrying Yoshi if they can figure out how that could work (there are so many Yoshi’s Island games now so it’s a possibility), F-Zero, And Metal Gear. New series to Smash I want to see are Paper Mario who has the same programming that makes Mr. Game and Watch 2D but in color, Cadence of the Necrodancer, Rabbids (they are more associated with Nintendo than Rayman is), and Nintendo Labo’s Cardboard Man as a joke character.