• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

BCVM22

It baffles the mind the only game Nintendo owners can play with Joker right now is Persona Q2.
None of the first four franchises represented in the fighter pass have particularly significant presences of current material on Nintendo hardware right now, if they have any such presence at all. I imagine that's largely the point.

AuraChannelerChris

The Dragon / "Dog"
None of the first four franchises represented in the fighter pass have particularly significant presences of current material on Nintendo hardware right now, if they have any such presence at all. I imagine that's largely the point.
Well, it doesn't have to be presence right now, but rather some way to play their games on a Nintendo system, even if it's through VC-like releases or past entries. Anyone can play almost all of the entries Terry is playable, for example.

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
I suppose there is one thing that Sakurai says that rings true with Smash. It's become a celebration of gaming in-general. Personally, I hope we see more forgotten classics from the past. That's what I like about Smash. It re-introduces a classic, makes you go "Eh? Who's this?" over more popular expectations, makes you look up the guy and gal's series and years later, suddenly the forgotten classic is an popular expectation.

Auraninja

Try to understand.
Going back to this quote, I think that's mostly true, but Dragon Quest XI S was promoted right after the announcement trailer hit, making him sort of relevant to promotional matters.

BCVM22

Which is a single game, so that's a matter of whether you think one game = significant. I'm not saying it doesn't. Matter of opinion.

My point is largely thus: if you don't own anything other/older than a Switch, you cannot play anything featuring Joker or Banjo and Kazooie, your only access to Terry is the glut of 2D arcade/console ports, and you have access to one current game and a handful of older ports for the DQ Hero. Hence "current material" and hence "significant" in terms of quantity. That's all.

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
So this is interesting, someone checked and recorded the views and likes of the showcases on YouTube and Byleth actually has the highest like/view ratio. Not only that but he's actually the second most-liked character of Smash Bros, surpassing Dragon Quest's Hero, Fatal Fury's Terry Bogard and Banjo Kazooie who places at the very bottom which I thought was pretty surprising actually. I guess not being in a game series for long really has hurt Banjo Kazooie's popularity. This not only proves that Byleth is a polarized character rather than a character no one wants but that he's much more popular than some people may actually think. Now what's funny is that the DLC character who does surpass Byleth in terms of likes is Joker from Persona 5 who has the least amount of Nintendo presence lol.

TheCharredDragon

#HelloLoki
Let me just say I'm really hapoy about that fact.

Though I'm personally not surprised because one, Persona 5 was a big deal, what with its style, gameplay and unexpected phantom thief theme. Two, Joker is one of the most liked protagonists of Persona for many since he had the most hinted personality out of all the protagonists (equal parts dork, joker--yes can't help it--and hero), easily competing with another favorite, Yu Narukami, who mostly got his personality from the anime (though there are still hints of said personality in P4 since most of my choices ended up being done in the anime), and unlike Byleth where their inclusion is just as much as disliked as it is liked, Joker was (excuse the meme can't help it) an appearance no one saw coming, even with P5 being a big deal because so many new fans came into the series thanks to it, because it's still a JRPG, plenty of people thought it was still a bit niche to be included in Smash.

Auraninja

Try to understand.
It's the beat-em-up River City franchise.

...Though I don't know much either, except for the fact the latest entry was River City Girls.
That I pretty much knew, actually.

I couldn't tell you that much about the series without looking it up, though.

Edit: One of the spirits is represented as a Mii Brawler as an Ace Spirit.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

#HelloLoki
I don't know much about Kunio-kun/River City, but I do know a bit of River City Girls since my brother and I played it for a bit. Though admittedly what I know is that it's a pretty fun beat 'em up with a lot of its voice acting cast being familiar to me (a majority of which I knlw thanks to Persona 5). Oh and that jackscepticeye voices one of the characters (Godai is his name) in the game, along with quite a few other Youtubers.

Still, I think it's cool the series got some spirits.

Auraninja

Try to understand.
The one featuring two people is another Ace spirit featuring two Ryu.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Well, Kunio lost a lot of hope at being playable.

Dangit, I wanted him for Pass 2.
So did I. I’ve wanted someone from the River City series to make an appearance in Smash since Brawl. Preferably from the NES game to bring on the retro love.

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
Hey Smash fans. What's the most fun character you ever played? I'm playing Terry Bogard right now, love it when I get the power geyser on people at the last second. His punish game is so much fun, especially how it takes even long-time Smash players by surprise but I've been playing him too long and want to try something else.