1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

Well, Kunio lost a lot of hope at being playable.

Dangit, I wanted him for Pass 2.

2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

So did I. I’ve wanted someone from the River City series to make an appearance in Smash since Brawl. Preferably from the NES game to bring on the retro love.

3. shoz999

shoz999 Sonic's the name! Speed's my game!

Hey Smash fans. What's the most fun character you ever played? I'm playing Terry Bogard right now, love it when I get the power geyser on people at the last second. His punish game is so much fun, especially how it takes even long-time Smash players by surprise but I've been playing him too long and want to try something else.

4. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

At this point, I wouldn't necessarily expect any fighter for the fighters pass, but instead play it by a case by case scenario.
    For example, do you like fighter #76 when it gets announced.
    No character has all the gimmicks that I enjoy the most.

Sometimes, I want to play as different characters. Do I want to pop up a command selection with Hero, or use Ptooie over and over as Piranha Plant, absorb attacks with Revenge with Incineroar, or blow them away with explosives and CQC with Snake?

shoz999 likes this.
  5. Ignition

Ignition “Go get ‘em, tiger!”

The memes of there being not enough Fire Emblem characters (especially blue hair swordsmen) are the best part about this reveal.

TheCharredDragon and Dragalge like this.
  6. Genos

Genos New Horizons

I only know the series from one of it's iconic lines.

"BARF!"

7. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

I refer to River City Ransom as GTA on the NES without the cars.

8. shoz999

Just realized a few days ago is Super Smash Bros. 21st anniversary. Since the N64 and it got me thinking. Man, we are old.

9. Auraninja

I remember being incredibly bad at it, but I sure had some fun with it.

I also have it on my Wii where I can just play with the GCN controller.

shoz999 likes this.
  10. Pikasaur

Pikasaur Putting up a Fight

Just tried Ultimate Online yesterday and how laggy can you get?

I'm still awful regardless, but there was one match where we all stood still for a good 20 seconds.

11. Auraninja

The only time I had really bad lag was in a battle arena.

The battle arena had a twitch link, and I talked about the lag, and they were telling me to not slow them down.

Talk about rude.

12. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Whovian

Gotta admit I hadn't heard of a single one of the characters on the first fighters pass before. I mean I know that I don't know about the majority of video games but I'm hoping I'll have at least heard of one of the six on the second fighters pass.

13. Auraninja

The River City spirits have been collected, and there are 14 spirits in between those and the Astral Chain spirits, so we'll likely have 14 FE:3H spirits.

2 Byleth Spirits + 9 DLC SB Spirits = 11 Spirits

14 - 11 = 3

I've seen post time skip spirits that someone backed by PushDustIn posted.

Edit: For full transparency

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  14. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

Are you accounting for potential up-gradable spirits?

15. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

They're from the press kit
    https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/1217914920324468736
    the lords are likely upgradable into these

16. Auraninja

As R_N has posted, the lords of each house would likely upgrade to their post time skip self.

17. shoz999

So this just hit me. You know what's a long-forgotten fantasy JRPG series that would not only be interesting to be represented as a DLC character in Super Smash Bros but makes a lot of sense to appear because this is Sakurai were talking about, a gamer who have a love of games both well-known and forgotten, new and old? Nintendo's got Xenoblade and Golden Sun, Square Enix got Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, you know what Capcom has? Your probably thinking... wait? Capcom has its own fantasy JRPG series? Yeah, they do actually lol.

The Breath of Fire series, however the storytelling and world-building is handled more like Legend of Zelda rather than Final Fantasy in that the games always feature main characters Ryu and Nina and like Legend of Zelda, they are a different incarnation in each installment similar to Final Fantasy. Unfortunately the series stopped around the PS2 era. In my opinion, in a way it's kind of like the Fatal Fury of JRPGs. It's long forgotten, it'll probably won't continue for years to come and yet it's recognized by fans and even the company itself as Capcom's most successful and famous JRPG series.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    TheCharredDragon likes this.
  18. TheCharredDragon

TheCharredDragon Rated F for flirting, fluff and feels

Oh yeah, as a self-proclaimed RPG nut, that would be really cool. I played the first one (at least the GBA port of it) but, embarrassingly for me, haven't gotten around to farther than the second village/town/dungeon you encounter.

Though if we wanna talk about RPGs by each company...that makes me think of Sega's Phantasy Star series, with the original trilogy in mind. Yet another RPG series I really need to go back and play... But anyways, yeah, technically with Joker Sega has an "RPG" representative, but Sega bought Atlus and Persona was first created before thry did, while Phantasy Star has been around almost as long as Final Fantasy. Though, admittedly, I'm not sure who would they pick that would be unique since I only played up to the boss of the first dungeon in Phantasy Star 3.

And we technically do have a "Capcom RPG" representitive in the form of Rathalos (which shocked and pleased me when he was first revealed).

shoz999 likes this.
  19. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

My issue with Phantasy Star is that Alis Landale, the main character of first game and could be considered a Smash pick: She's a swordwoman, with mostly defensive magic. Didn't I hear a girl the last week complain about "Too many Sword fighters?"

There are other characters with other weapons, but they only really represent a single game of the series. For example: PSIV's Alys Brangwin uses a boomerang, and is very important to the story. I'd rather not spoil it, but the comic book style cut scene really drives it home unlike the Sprite only work in some other games of the that era.

shoz999 likes this.
  20. shoz999

In my opinion, Breath of Fire is arguably the most mishandled Capcom series ever. Forget about the cancelled Mega Man game years back. Resident Evil turning more towards action. The Devil May Cry DMC reboot. Those series are nowhere as mishandled as Breath of Fire, at least you guys still remember the other series for years to come. Breath of Fire is a forgotten series that's waiting to be remembered again. To be honest, I'm not really a hardcore Breath of Fire fan as I never finished the first two games but I played enough to find them enjoyable that I find Capcom's handling on the series highly questionable. For starters you may ask why haven't you played 3, 4 or 5? Especially 3 which is regarded by the fans as the most successful and best installment? Because Capcom rarely ports those games! Look at the number of ports those games have and they'll have either one to no ports on systems that are long gone. According to Breath of Fire fans who have played every installment, they wonder how Capcom even failed the series in the first place. It is a niche game series but it's still a successful one. Apparently BoF2 sold more than the first, and BoF3 sold even way more than the second producing lots of advertisements and manga that it became pretty well-known in at least Japan. A lot of fans think it was BoF5 that ended the series because it did poorly in the west but even then they think it's highly questionable as it apparently did really well in Japan that they could've just treated the series in a similar way to that of Dragon Quest. After that, they pretty much ended it. There is BoF6 but many fans write it off as a sellout freemium game that even Capcom themselves ignore.

With that being said, I want to play BoF3,4 and 5 on the Nintendo Switch. The new Capcom did say they are interested in actually giving their classic game series more love like they did with Resident Evil, DMC and Megaman recently and I think the perfect way to bring it back to the screen is get Ryu & Nina as Smash Characters, in a similar manner to Banjo & Kazooie where you have 2 in 1. Could you imagine Sakurai trolling his fanbase into thinking the blue-haired guy is another Fire Emblem character only to reveal he isn't lol and even the most die-hard FE fans have no idea who this guy is? Then Sakurai in a Direct could announce that the ENTIRE BoF series is coming to Nintendo Switch, not just 1 & 2 which they've repetitively ported over the other installments. Alongside that, Capcom could also produce a cinematic trailer hinting at a proper BoF6 game, ignoring the other BoF6 and treating it as non-canon in much of the same way Hideo Koijima did with Snake's Revenge.