1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. TheCharredDragon

TheCharredDragon A Thief and her Love, til Death Do Thou Part

I had a suspicion that would be tbe case (though I personally think we need more girl sword users but that's just my personal bias for both swords and Lucina) but, again, I only played 3 and not far, so for all I know there could be a representitive but I guess not.

I am still a tiny bit salty about Legends 3 bring cancelled though. But only a tiny bit as I got into Mega Man a good while after that incident and personally like the Zero and ZX series more...which is why I'm happy it's getting a new collection.

-double checks because it's been a while since I last looked into BoF- Huh. Well that explains a few things. And having few games certainly doesn't help, even if they're good.

Personally though (and I know it was a hypothetical question but can't help it), I only didn't play beyond 1, cause, well, I haven't gotten around to it since I have a huge backlog of games to go through.

Hearing this really just reinforces my perception of Capcom just having little to no idea what to do with their IPs besides Street Fighter anymore. At least until recently, and even then it's only currently RE and Mega Man.

As awesome that would be, I personally feel it's unlikely. i wouldnt mind being wrong tho. id personally love that

shoz999 likes this.
  2. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

Looking back on the BoF series.

The last thing I heard that I saw was the EU PSP version of BoF3 heading to the US version of PSN store back on 27 January 2016. Let me make that clear, 4 full years since we really heard anything on 3.

Bof4 had a PC version and I really need to see if an original disk works on a Windows 10 PC.. I just so happens to own a copy.. https://imgur.com/3Aeum5p (I know 3 won't work on a PC like that.)

BoF 5, missed out on the PS2 to PS4 Remasters, and the PS2 to PS3 port was Japanese only and removed early last year.. Currently you'd hope you'd able to find a PS2 copy in a second hand store.. and hope your PS2 still works. (There are other means, but I won't talk about them here.)

With Bof6 being eaten up by Capcom's desire to go Mobile.. it lasted a year before being canned.

Personally, I think that Capcom, may need to make another Megaman style collection, but no splitting it up.

shoz999 likes this.
  3. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I was just thinking that it sort of is odd that Streets of Rage has no kind of representation in Smash right now. It was a huge money maker for Sega back in the day, the series is one of the most iconic beat em ups ever with people talking positively about the first three games and an official fourth game is coming out soon to all home consoles. It is definitely due to get Spirits and/or a DLC Fighter in the second Fighter Pass.

shoz999 likes this.
  4. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

Some info (in Japanese) on the 3H spirits.

So now the house leaders getting enhanced is officially stated.

Rhea as Palutena makes sense as they are both religious leaders of sorts.
    There are others you can see.

5. shoz999

shoz999 Sonic's the name! Speed's my game!

Just a heads up. Most of you probably already know this but don't expect Byleth to be released at midnight or even in the morning.

6. Auraninja

Given it says January 29th in Europe, it will probably be the evening in the US and Canada.

shoz999 likes this.
  7. Ignition

Ignition I change these way too often

Was hoping for an early release like Terry but at least the wait is almost over

shoz999 likes this.
  8. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

Is the Hoes Mad update live yet.

9. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

Given it's not due until 29th in Europe, you'd have at least another 8 hours to go.

10. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I expect the update to happen tonight around 8 or 9 EST. That seems to be the pattern

11. Ignition

Maintenance starts in ~25 minutes so the update should be here soon

12. Auraninja

Update is live as of me typing this.

Have fun kids.

Edit: Sothis is the next DLC Legend Spirit with a unique effect, this time being Critical Health Healing ^ ^.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  13. shoz999

A lot of "Your waifu hits like a truck" talk going on. Just thought that sentence was funny but Byleth's really fun and the distance, especially the spear, can be insane sometimes. My only problem with the character so far is the recovery. His recovery closeby to the edge is really good but anything far beyond the edge, he's pretty much a complete goner. Kind of reminds me of Cloud in some ways.

Gamzee Makara likes this.
  14. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

What do ya know, Byleth's not just an anime swordwielder.

I'm running a DLC vs. Swordspeople Tourney right now.

And if you're complaining about anime swords, you have to complain about Link X3, PitX2, Shulk, Ganondorf, and Mii Swordfighter as much as Fire Emblem, or you're committing medium hypocrisy.

shoz999 and wolf jani like this.
  15. Midnite♪

Midnite♪ Distant Stargazer

Byleth feels kind of... underwhelming and unwieldy for me, actually. Bad frame data combined with a lot of awkward hitboxes aren't a nice combo, and all of his special attacks feel slow and hard to hit in a lot of circumstances. Even Ganondorf feels more fluid, if just because his animations have that snap to them, for the lack of a better word, as well as straightforward hitboxes.
    Though, these are just my Day 1 impressions. Perhaps my thoughts will change the more I experiment with him and figure out which moves are best used in his neutral.

Though, I wasn't expecting to one-shot the Sothis spirit with Ganondorf, even with my Medusa spirit set.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  16. shoz999

His playstyle definitely takes some time getting used to for more aggressive players who go up-close but once you do get used to, play much more defensively while maintaining some distance between you and the opponent, get a feel for how distant his hitboxes are, and stop spamming the spear on opponents up-close and start using the freaking sword, and use the spear, bow and axe on where you think your opponent is going to be rather than where they are now, he's really fun.

Gamzee Makara likes this.
  17. TheCharredDragon

TheCharredDragon A Thief and her Love, til Death Do Thou Part

I may not have Byleth, but here's a pro Smash player trying her out. Specifically ZeRo, who was one of the people I know who was pretty positive of Byleth's inclusion. He also did a video a more detailed vid on Byleth not long after, whers he talks of Byleth's moves, which are good and bad, and where he would put it on his tier list.

The main reason I wanted to show them was 'cause of the beginning of the first vid, where it shows a tweet of Byleth being able to do a Bayonetta-type ladder combo (aka a combo that keeps going up until it KOs) on (at least) Donkey Kong, and he shows some of the things each move can do as well as he tries out Byleth in Elite Smash, while going into detail why in the second video. And I gotta say, I like how Byleth looks to play. Their Down Air, Side B and Front and Back Aerials are so stupidly strong. Also Up B can apparently tack onto the stage and pull you up even if it's not a ledge. Well, for Omega/Battlefield type stages at least.

Though if you want more antics, and more Up B KOs, here's Alpharad's vid on Byleth as soon as they were released.

shoz999 likes this.
  18. shoz999

You know what Smash definitely needs more of. More cartoony characters. In the DLC pass, 4 out of 5 were very serious characters as opposed to the more cartoony light-hearted ones like Banjo Kazooie. If you think about it, it's kind of surprising that Sakurai didn't add more Kirby characters in Smash for Wii U and Smash Ultimate for Switch because believe me, there are enough interesting Kirby characters to surpass the Mario roster in Smash.

Ignition likes this.
  19. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

The problem with Kirby characters is that most weren't created by Sakurai, and don't play into his Classic Kirby bias.

Bandanna Waddle Dee is a minor character to him, for example, because the character as we know them isn't Sakurai's version. Magolor, Dark Meta Kinght, etc aren't his, either.

Adeline and Ribbon are the closest to something on his radar, Kirby-Wise. Anything after he worked on Kirby he seems to have a bias against.

shoz999 likes this.
  20. Ignition

Although I’m a fan of all the FP, I agree. I like PP the most because it’s so out of left field and the cartoony aesthetic of it adds to its charm. It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of Incineroar and one of the main reasons is it’s personality and I feel as though Smash’s portrayal is perfect.

Somewhat related but if the unspoken “rule” of Nintendo wanting to have a least one of their IPs be DLC as promotion, I hope it’s Rillaboom. We don’t have a character centered around music yet and I feel like it would be a great candidate. Plus I’m interested in how Sakurai would incorporate its drum into its moveset

wolf jani and shoz999 like this.