• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
Just a heads up. Most of you probably already know this but don't expect Byleth to be released at midnight or even in the morning.

Auraninja

Try to understand.
Just a heads up. Most of you probably already know this but don't expect Byleth to be released at midnight or even in the morning.
Given it says January 29th in Europe, it will probably be the evening in the US and Canada.

Ignition

Love when the mods can’t do their jobs properly
Was hoping for an early release like Terry but at least the wait is almost over

Ignition

Maintenance starts in ~25 minutes so the update should be here soon

Auraninja

Try to understand.
Update is live as of me typing this.

Have fun kids.

Edit: Sothis is the next DLC Legend Spirit with a unique effect, this time being Critical Health Healing ^ ^.

Last edited:

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
A lot of "Your waifu hits like a truck" talk going on. Just thought that sentence was funny but Byleth's really fun and the distance, especially the spear, can be insane sometimes. My only problem with the character so far is the recovery. His recovery closeby to the edge is really good but anything far beyond the edge, he's pretty much a complete goner. Kind of reminds me of Cloud in some ways.

Gamzee Makara

Let people enjoy things...
What do ya know, Byleth's not just an anime swordwielder.

I'm running a DLC vs. Swordspeople Tourney right now.

And if you're complaining about anime swords, you have to complain about Link X3, PitX2, Shulk, Ganondorf, and Mii Swordfighter as much as Fire Emblem, or you're committing medium hypocrisy.

Midnite♪

Distant Stargazer
Byleth feels kind of... underwhelming and unwieldy for me, actually. Bad frame data combined with a lot of awkward hitboxes aren't a nice combo, and all of his special attacks feel slow and hard to hit in a lot of circumstances. Even Ganondorf feels more fluid, if just because his animations have that snap to them, for the lack of a better word, as well as straightforward hitboxes.
Though, these are just my Day 1 impressions. Perhaps my thoughts will change the more I experiment with him and figure out which moves are best used in his neutral.

Though, I wasn't expecting to one-shot the Sothis spirit with Ganondorf, even with my Medusa spirit set.

Last edited:

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
Byleth feels kind of... underwhelming and unwieldy for me, actually. Bad frame data combined with a lot of awkward hitboxes aren't a nice combo, and all of his special attacks feel slow and hard to hit in a lot of circumstances. Even Ganondorf feels more fluid, if just because his animations have that snap to them, for the lack of a better word, as well as straightforward hitboxes.
Though, these are just my Day 1 impressions. Perhaps my thoughts will change the more I experiment with him and figure out which moves are best used in his neutral.

Though, I wasn't expecting to one-shot
His playstyle definitely takes some time getting used to for more aggressive players who go up-close but once you do get used to, play much more defensively while maintaining some distance between you and the opponent, get a feel for how distant his hitboxes are, and stop spamming the spear on opponents up-close and start using the freaking sword, and use the spear, bow and axe on where you think your opponent is going to be rather than where they are now, he's really fun.

TheCharredDragon

#HelloLoki
I may not have Byleth, but here's a pro Smash player trying her out. Specifically ZeRo, who was one of the people I know who was pretty positive of Byleth's inclusion. He also did a video a more detailed vid on Byleth not long after, whers he talks of Byleth's moves, which are good and bad, and where he would put it on his tier list.

The main reason I wanted to show them was 'cause of the beginning of the first vid, where it shows a tweet of Byleth being able to do a Bayonetta-type ladder combo (aka a combo that keeps going up until it KOs) on (at least) Donkey Kong, and he shows some of the things each move can do as well as he tries out Byleth in Elite Smash, while going into detail why in the second video. And I gotta say, I like how Byleth looks to play. Their Down Air, Side B and Front and Back Aerials are so stupidly strong. Also Up B can apparently tack onto the stage and pull you up even if it's not a ledge. Well, for Omega/Battlefield type stages at least.

Though if you want more antics, and more Up B KOs, here's Alpharad's vid on Byleth as soon as they were released.

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
You know what Smash definitely needs more of. More cartoony characters. In the DLC pass, 4 out of 5 were very serious characters as opposed to the more cartoony light-hearted ones like Banjo Kazooie. If you think about it, it's kind of surprising that Sakurai didn't add more Kirby characters in Smash for Wii U and Smash Ultimate for Switch because believe me, there are enough interesting Kirby characters to surpass the Mario roster in Smash.

Gamzee Makara

Let people enjoy things...
You know what Smash definitely needs more of. More cartoony characters. In the DLC pass, 4 out of 5 were very serious characters as opposed to the more cartoony light-hearted ones like Banjo Kazooie. If you think about it, it's kind of surprising that Sakurai didn't add more Kirby characters in Smash for Wii U and Smash Ultimate for Switch because believe me, there are enough interesting Kirby characters to surpass the Mario roster in Smash.
The problem with Kirby characters is that most weren't created by Sakurai, and don't play into his Classic Kirby bias.

Bandanna Waddle Dee is a minor character to him, for example, because the character as we know them isn't Sakurai's version. Magolor, Dark Meta Kinght, etc aren't his, either.

Adeline and Ribbon are the closest to something on his radar, Kirby-Wise. Anything after he worked on Kirby he seems to have a bias against.

Ignition

Although I’m a fan of all the FP, I agree. I like PP the most because it’s so out of left field and the cartoony aesthetic of it adds to its charm. It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of Incineroar and one of the main reasons is it’s personality and I feel as though Smash’s portrayal is perfect.

Somewhat related but if the unspoken “rule” of Nintendo wanting to have a least one of their IPs be DLC as promotion, I hope it’s Rillaboom. We don’t have a character centered around music yet and I feel like it would be a great candidate. Plus I’m interested in how Sakurai would incorporate its drum into its moveset

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Although I’m a fan of all the FP, I agree. I like PP the most because it’s so out of left field and the cartoony aesthetic of it adds to its charm. It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of Incineroar and one of the main reasons is it’s personality and I feel as though Smash’s portrayal is perfect.

Somewhat related but if the unspoken “rule” of Nintendo wanting to have a least one of their IPs be DLC as promotion, I hope it’s Rillaboom. We don’t have a character centered around music yet and I feel like it would be a great candidate. Plus I’m interested in how Sakurai would incorporate its drum into its moveset
I feel like Cadence of the Necromencer could be a DLC Fighter that is music based.

shoz999

Sure, sure. Go for it.
In terms of Kirby characters, there are 13 that I can think of that would be perfect for smash, before and after Sakurai worked on the series. These 10 character below especially! I would absolutely love to see these Kirby characters in Smash. I bet they fit so well in Smash Bros, that it'd feel like they were right at home. My ten picks are all comprised of Dream Friends though but some honorable mentions are Galacta Knight, the former strongest being in the Kirby Universe, Morpho Knight, the butterfly of the underworld, and ChuChu, Nago and Pitch, the animal friends of Dream Land 3. Even though some of these aren't designed by Sakurai, it'd still be awesome to see them here.

10. Dark Meta Knight. Hear me out guys! He uses Mirror Magic!
Okay. I get it. It's another dark doppelganger of an original character. But hear me out! He is less like Dark Pit, where he feels like an edgier version of Pit, and more like Dark Samus, where he feels more like his own individual character. Whereas Metaknight is heroic and noble, Dark Metaknight is a ruthless and evil schemer who shows no mercy for his opponents and is responsible for one of the darkest tragedies in a Kirby game. Not only that but like how Dark Samus's abilities are different from Samus's abilities in the games that she shouldn't be limited to a clone character, Dark Meta Knight's abilities are also fairly different then the OG Meta Knight, especially by the Star Allies game. He uses a mixture of swordsmanship skills like the OG Meta Knight and Mirror-based techniques which revolves around creating mirror portals that can summon giant swords shooting to the skies, creating mirror clones, use mirrors to reflect projectiles and use mirror shards to strike at his opponents. He's kind of like a magician/trickster combined with a swordsman as opposed to Meta Knight who is more purely a swordsman.

9. Marx, the Traitorous Jester and one of Smash Ultimate's Bosses.
So in Ultimate, you guys are familiar with Marx as one of the bosses right? In Kirby Star Allies, he's a playable character, albeit he is much smaller in the same way as Ridley is. Marx is a character I hope we can see him in Smash in the future. Ridley happened and he's much bigger than Marx. I think you guys pretty much grasped what Marx can do in the story mode and I'd imagine he's work exactly like that in Smash, just smaller and nerfed with more focus on Marx's beach ball.

8. Magolor, the very first Kirby villain to actually apologize.
So Magolor is very similar to Marx in that he betrays Kirby to become a god of destruction. Unlike Marx who is a Jester, Magolor is an Engineer. Fans also have noted that Magolor's Soul is a far harder boss than Marx's Soul and also a far more creepier boss in that his mouth is a giant eyeball that resembles a familiar villain not seen in years. However he's most notable as the main villain of Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Kirby's return to console since the N64, and for being the very first Kirby villain to actually apologize for his actions. Honestly if Marx ever does become a Smash character in the future, I can see him as an Echo Fighter only with a bigger focus on manipulating space and blackholes.

7. Taranza, the Tragically Loyal Spider Servant.
He's well-known to Kirby fans as the tragically loyal servant to the villain of Kirby's Triple Deluxe. He's often portrayed as a happy go-lucky spider who grieves the death of the villain at times. So for his moveset, he would be based around magical spider webs and strings, kind of like a bug-themed moves from Pokemon like Electroweb, Sticky Webs, String Shot, those sorts of things. A character themed around spiders would be fun and unlike most Spider-themed characters, he isn't a scary giant bug lol.

6. Susie, the Mech-Wielding Tekkie.
Okay so one type of character I've always wanted to see in Smash is a Mech-themed character and I always thought Xenoblade Chronicles X's Elma or Cross in the Skell Mechs would be perfect but Susie from Kirby would also be perfect in that she also pilots a mech. Now they could go for her personal mech or give her Kirby's Robobot Armor which essentially turns her into a clone of Kirby but in the form a heavyweight similar to Ganondorf being seen as a heavyweight clone of Captain Falcon. Now what would be a fun concept through this is that Susie would also have access to Kirby's Copy Ability only instead of unleashing a copy version of fellow Smash characters neutral B attacks, it would be unleashing a stronger, perhaps slower, mechanized version of fellow Smash characters neutral B attacks. Could you guys imagine a mechanized Kazooie lol?

5. Daroach, the Magical Gentleman Thief
Daroach would be AWESOME for Smash Bros! Imagine a character that embodies both a wizard and a thief! He would be Nintendo's very own cartoony Joker only he's heavily focused on magic but what I would think would be cool is that that Daroach can summon his gang of thieves, the Squeaks, in a similar manner to how Zelda summons a Phantom.

4. Gooey, darkness incarnate as a good guy!
So some of you guys may be aware that Dark Matter is frequently seen by fans as the main antagonist of the Kirby series. Did you know that Gooey here is also a member of the Dark Matter species? Yes, this loving ball of energy is darkness incarnate itself lol. If you know your Kirby lore, do not get fooled by his simple appearance, he packs quite a punch and unlike the other members of Dark Matter, he's a good guy.

3. Rick, Kine & Coo, the next Banjo & Kazooie!
So imagine another Banjo & Kazooie/Duck Hunt Dog character in the form of Rick a giant hamster who breathes fire, Kine a fish that can freeze and Coo, an owl that can strike thy with thunder! They are the original three animal friends of the Kirby series, before Nago, ChuChu and Pitch came along and I thought of the perfect way to include them all in one character. You know how in Kirby, you can stack characters. It'd be like that, Rick carrying Kine who is carrying Coo. He would be such a fun and lovable character. Who wouldn't want to play a giant fire-breathing hamster?

2. Bandana Dee, Kirby fan's most popular Smash pick.
After hearing how badass and quirkly the other characters are, would you believe me most Kirby fans want Bandana Dee for Smash lol out of all the great Kirby characters out there lol? What can he do? Actually, not much lol. He simply wields a spear but that would make a spear wielder with long range would make a pretty unique Smash character in a roster full of Sword-users. Oh? Why is he so popular to begin with you ask? Simple, he's often seen as part of the new four-person group in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, consisting of Kirby, Metaknight, King Dedede and Bandana Dee as in, fans see him as a main character of the Kirby series.

1. Adeleine, the painter whose paintings come to life, and Ribbon, Kirby's girlfriend as the fans joke.
If Bandana Dee is the most popular Smash pick for Kirby fans, Adeleine is probably the second most popular Smash pick for Kirby fans. That's because whereas Bandana Dee is seen as a member of the new four-person group, Adeleine is seen as a member of the second four-person group in Kirby 64, right after Rick, Kine & Coo, as in fans also see her as a main character, at least from that time. She's a happy go-lucky painter who joined Kirby's adventure to stop the evil Dark Matter. What Adeleine does is that she paints creatures to life to do the fighting for her but in Kirby's Star Allies, she does wield her paintbrush like a weapon sometimes. A summoner to do the fighting for you would be a pretty interesting character wouldn't you think? The last time fans saw something like that was Pokemon Trainer. It could be like Pokemon Trainer in the background and have his Pokemon do the fighting for him but I think one fun way would be like Yugi in Jump Force where a lot of her special attacks involve summoning monsters to do a specific attack before disappearing. Like just for an example, she could use up B to summon Kracko to reach high places or recovery. Side B could be her summoning and throwing a skiing snowman called Chilly. Down B would be riding Rocky as he slams himself into the floor, similar to Kirby's down B.

I think the best part about Adeleine though is that it would be a great way to show off more of the Kirby series through her paintings. As for that fairy next to her, that is Ribbon. She is like the closest thing Kirby has to a girlfriend. She's memorable for recruiting Kirby to her cause to stop Dark Matter's invasion of her home planet but also assisting Kirby in his fight against their leader, 02. After that, she rewarded Kirby's help with a kiss and to this day is the only character to make Kirby blush I believe. Honestly, I can see her in Smash but partnered up with Adeleine. She could be like Kazooie in that up B would cause Adeleine to fly and neutral B would allow Ribbon to shoot crystals at the enemy.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I just hope we get a Gen 8 pokemon in the next DLC. Preferably Rillaboom, but we all know it's gonna be Cinderace.

I'd also like to see Tekken finally get its addition. Not only would Heihachi make an awesome Smash fighter, the music from Tekken would just be amazing.