1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kirby, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

I'll get ready for some swell battles, then!

2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I know that it probably wasn’t possible to have DLC Fighters as Spirits reps but Hero seems more fitting to be King Dice than the Mii Swordfighter given Hero’s Down B is basically a dice roll where you hope you get a good option every time you use it.

3. The Mega Champion

The Mega Champion Well-Known Member

I've been trying out lots of characters but it's either I'm extremely bad at them, or I'm just bad at the game in general.

Honestly... it's probably both. *sighs* :(

4. TheCharredDragon

TheCharredDragon I mean it when I say I'm an RPG nut

What makes you say that? Is it because you don't too well with World of Light? Or because of getting utterly beaten by Lv. 9 CPUs? Or is it being beaten by people online, particularly trying to or at Elite Smash?

Because as someone who thinks they're not great at Smash and isn't really good at competitive (though interested in the scene), I think watching Izaw's Art of Smash series (at least the How to Play parts and if he did your main, his vid on them too) will help, as well as watching tutorials, and, well, practice. Practice with an easy character first (like Mario or Kirby or the others that series would suggest) to get used to moving around and using your moves in training. Neved mind combos or stuff like that for now. Just practive moving as fast as you can and using each move. And shielding. That's really important. That's one of the things that many people (including myself at times) forget to do and learning to shield is just as important as knowing how to attack.

and controls are important because the 3ds controls are legit horrible for doing more advanced movement options like short hopping and trying to do fast falling aerials

Please note that, again, by no means I'm an expert at Smash and still play mostly casually but learning at how competitive people play the characters made me more aware of my own preferences and pick a main in the form of Lucina (in Smash 4 anyway) and honestly that helped make me have more fun because I had practiced with her for so long, it's like an extension of myself and now all I just need to practice is, well, putting the techniques together in beating opponents and learning to read and/or condition them for human opponents.

Or you can, like, maybe even pay for a coach 'cause I saw ZeRo paid for one on fiver(? not used to social media stuff ironically) to prank him but that guy was legitimately a pretty good teacher since he kept his cool despite getting beaten so badly by someone seemingly having no idea how to play smash while he knows plenty of things about smash competitive and still tried to teach

But really, as long as you're having fun in Smash, it's fine, no matter how horrible you are...because even though I get my butt whooped (well when I played Smash 4 3DS online) I'm legitimately having fun at least trying to learn how to beat someone else.

though saying it like that makes me sound like I'm a masochist or something

5. The Mega Champion

Yes it's a mixtures of not doing well in World of Light and against Lvl. 3 CPU opponents

6. Auraninja

Auraninja Gre-nin-ja!

You can't be as bad as I was in the original Super Smash Bros.

Just learn the different moves you can do, and see when they're applicable.

For example, use grabs when the opponent shields, and smashes when the opponent is high enough damage.

7. Genos

Genos SONIC MOVIE

Things I noticed in the new spirit battles of Cuphead:
    -All four spirit battles have the Floral Fury song
    -For Cuphead and Mugman spirit battles, you actually face a Mii Gunner dressed up as Cuphead instead of Red and Teal Mega Man separately.
    Mugman battle is facing two Mii Gunners (Cuphead).

Cuphead battle is three giant Peach's and a Mii Gunner (Cuphead) as a stamina match.

So basically it's a very different event if you own the Cuphead Mii costume.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  8. The Mega Champion

Literally everyone in this game is better than me.

I tried playing in Public Arenas for 'Beginners Only' and still got 3-0'd so I'm right back to where I was with freaking Pokken where everyone's skill appears to be to large for me to overcome.

Unless I'm supposed to be avoiding online entirely. Well that's what I'm doing now until I get the rest of the characters and complete World of Light at the minimum.

Yes I'm tilted.

9. Auraninja

Auraninja Gre-nin-ja!

I finished them up not so long ago, and that is interesting. Maybe we'll get Undertales spirits like this.

A lot of people, including myself, had the benefit of every game to steadily get better. I don't know the exact case with you, but practicing makes one better.

10. TheCharredDragon

TheCharredDragon I mean it when I say I'm an RPG nut

Sounds like me in all honesty. I didn't win any matches in Smash 4 3DS online. Only did when in Doubles because my teammate won. XP

Actually, yeah, if you're serious about improving, you shouldn't go online at all. As @Auraninja said, practice makes one better and if you practice moving around then attacks every day (an hour a day maybe?), you'll get better. sorry for seeming like an ad but i seriously suggest watching art of smash

11. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Serious question guys. If Nintendo did a "New Generation" take on Smash Bros, would you be interested in buying it? So for those who don't know what I mean, Street Fighter III: The New Generation is well-known for doing something quite risky, replacing it's entire cast of old favorites, with the exception of Ryu and Ken, with an entirely new generation of young fighters. Some older fighters later on would be re-introduced through new versions of SF3.

So with that being said would you guys be interested? Maybe old fighters, even the original cast, would either be unlockables, DLC characters or heck. Not even in the game at all. Just entirely new fighters. I think it'd be interesting but also a bit hard to imagine who'd replace iconic characters like Mario, Link, Kirby or Pikachu. I bet it would be quite a shocking turn for Smash fans after Ultimate's "Everyone is here" slogan.

12. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I for one think there would be tremendous appeal in a Nintendo fighting game that purposely elected not to use any of the 70-some iconic characters that help sell the entire franchise.

"Background Goomba #3 joins the fight!"
    "General Pepper sheds his wheelchair!"
    "Dunsparce digs in!"

Lit.

Auraninja, Bguy7 and shoz999 like this.
  13. shoz999

Business and creative-wise, would be a way to get excitement for Smash after Ultimate. After Ultimate's "Everybody is here" theme is gone, not a lot of options for Smash to live up to that same hype considering how many third parties it has to appeal to. I think a great way would be to have the next Smash to have entirely new characters, each one new character representing every series that's appeared. A good excuse to use Waluigi. Then after that, they can release a Smash so many years after Ultimate that comprises both new and old.

For the series of the original Smash, I'd choose...

Pauline for the Mario series
    Dixie Kong for the Donkey Kong series
    Midna & Wolf Link for the LoZ series
    Sylux for the Metroid series
    Baby Mario for the Yoshi series
    Bandanna Dee for the Kirby series
    Krystal for the Star Fox series
    Eevee for the Pokemon series
    Kumatora & Boney for the Earthbound series
    Goroh for the F-Zero series

If I had to add another Mario & Pokemon character in the case of Luigi and Jigglypuff being part of the original 12, it would be...
    Clefairy for the Pokemon series
    Fawful for the Mario series

14. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Fortunate are we that it will be some years still until it's necessary to debate whether it's actually good to intentionally scrape the bottom of the barrel.

shoz999 likes this.
  15. shoz999

I hope the Sin & Punishment and Golden Sun series gets a fighter for Smash in the future. Seriously though. Outside of third parties, the only character in Smash Ultimate to represent a new series is Splatoon and we all know Sakurai knows these two other series definitely exists because he's put them in the game as assist trophies and spirits. You gotta wonder what goes through his head sometimes. He was the one who popularized extremely niche and underrated games back than like Earthbound, Fire Emblem or Ice Climbers and yet when the Golden Sun does extremely well on the GBA and Sin & Punishment for Virtual Console did so well to create a sequel, they get passed over as fighters. Honestly, I think a lot of Smash fans would especially enjoy playing as a Sin & Punishment character. In a world of anime swordsman, a brand new gunner character representing a new Nintendo series as a fighter would be really refreshing. I wonder what the Treasure company is even doing nowadays. They haven't released any games since 2014 and yet there is a spirit of Saki and Isa in the game in 2018?

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  16. The Mega Champion

I'm only playing for fun.

What that means, to me at least, is that I don't care about 'optimal combos,' 'frame data,' 'mains,' or literally anything else that involves work.

17. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

You know, I have a feeling that all the Mii Fighter costumes that are currently missing will be added back in as DLC. I checked and we're still missing the Heihachi outfit from Tekken, the Smash hoodie, the Lloyd outfit from Tales of Symphonia, the Hunter Set and Rathalos Set from Monster Hunter, the Geno outfit and Red Shell hat from Mario, the Chocobo hat from Final Fantasy, the Gil outfit from The Tower of Druaga, the Neon Suit, the Plate Armor, the Fancy Suit, the Mage Robe, the Samurai Helmet and Armor, and most of the StreetPass Mii Plaza hats.

18. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

That is perfectly fine. I like to think I'm pretty good at Smash Bros, but I certainly don't worry about optimal combos or frame data. In fact, I ignore pretty much all of the technical details that competitive Smash players obsess over. You don't need that stuff to be good at the game, if all you want is to have fun playing casually. Just learn the basic mechanics, and you'll be perfectly fine.

Though, for mains, you'll probably just naturally find yourself gravitating towards certain characters the more you play. It's really just the way things work. What you shouldn't worry about though is picking a main according to any artificial tier list. Just play as whoever is most fun and/or best for you.

TheCharredDragon likes this.
  19. The Mega Champion

That's what I've started doing at this point honestly. I've dwindled it down to the characters I seem to be the 'best' at (not saying much though) and the ones that I seem to understand the most and have the most fun as.

Avoiding online for the past couple of days has started to make me feel better. I may continue to do so and start Classic Modes with the characters I'm the best/like the most as.

20. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Alright, I'm not a Fire Emblem fan, so normally I wouldn't bother buying Byleth, but my brother is, so he we got it for him. As such, this weekend has been my first time playing with the character, and I must admit, I think I might be pretty good playing as him. He just clicked with me, as his moveset complements my hard-hitting and relentless gameplay style. One of the matches I played with him was one of the best matches I've ever played in Ultimate, where I got 13 kills in a four minute match (I typically average around 8 or 9 for a good match). Might have to consider adding him to my list of mains.

That really is the best thing to do. Online is really only good if you're looking for a challenge that computer players can't provide. Classic mode is a good idea too, as it will automatically scale the difficulty according to how well you perform.