• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Ignition

Pancakes

MrJechgo

If there is something to the URL coding from Nintendo's official website, we would probably get a stage or a Mii Costume similar to how Rex Costume and Ancient Gear Costume were distributed.

I doubt there is going to be another fighter after the second fighters pass.
Yeah, I don't think we'll get another pass either... Sakurai needs to take a long break after FP2.

AuraChannelerChris

Disappearing isn't that bad, actually.
Oh, please. What are the astronomical chances there isn't another SSB entry being worked on behind the scenes yet again.

MrJechgo

Oh, please. What are the astronomical chances there isn't another SSB entry being worked on behind the scenes yet again.
Huh... the fact that the Switch isn't on its way out? Kinda pointless to plan the sequel for a console that doesn't exist yet ^^;

At best, we get the "Switch Pro", but like the PS4 Pro and the New 3DS, it will simply be an upgraded model, not an actual new system.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I hate to think of future games in the Smash series prior to conformation.

It was a bit different in Ultimate where industry insiders were backing up a Switch version, but that wasn't too far before release IIRC.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
One character I think would have been interesting to see as a Fighter would be Maxwell from the Scribblenauts series but it’d be too hard to figure out a way for him to fight without taking away the object creation by writing or entering a word aspect of the games. It would be fun to suddenly have a dragon appear and Maxwell rides it around and having it spit out flames before disappearing, pull out a baseball bat out of literal thin air, and making himself into a metal version to reduce damage temporarily. A Spirit would probably work better for a Scribblenauts rep.

MrJechgo

One character I think would have been interesting to see as a Fighter would be Maxwell from the Scribblenauts series but it’d be too hard to figure out a way for him to fight without taking away the object creation by writing or entering a word aspect of the games. It would be fun to suddenly have a dragon appear and Maxwell rides it around and having it spit out flames before disappearing, pull out a baseball bat out of literal thin air, and making himself into a metal version to reduce damage temporarily. A Spirit would probably work better for a Scribblenauts rep.
Woaw, talk about a wild card here O_O It could work... if you don't type your attacks, and Maxwell rather has predetermined attacks based on signature items. Sakurai... kinda tried a bit too hard to make Steve faithful to Minecraft ^^;

I... honestly have no more "most wanted characters", because I'm now satisfied with Pyra and Mythra. I was hoping for a XC2 character... and I got two ;)

Captain Jigglypuff

Crash Bandicoot is pretty much the most logical candidate for one of the two remaining slots and I think we will get a reveal for him during E3 since he is still a pretty popular video game character and represents a major turning point in video game history with his creation making Sony a viable threat in the gaming console market. Crash was able to cause Sega to panic and try to make Sonic keep up with him in the race for selling quality games and fail. It would just be fun to watch Sonic and Mario battle it out with Crash and Banjo Kazooie in Smash Bros and it is about time that the Smash Bros party gets “Crashed” by the third 3D platforming and gaming console mascot of the late 90s.

MrJechgo

Is Crash the new Geno, wishful thinking-wise?
Well, the series did get back on track, and they even made it a big deal when the N. Sane trilogy was ported to Switch. At this point, people just want a Western character, mostly someone who represents Sony and the Playstation more than Snake, Cloud, Sephiroth and Joker.

When it came to Geno, people held up until either the Mii costume returned... or he would come back as a fighter. The introduction of Cloud back in Sm4sh allowed Square-Enix to be included, so people thought that Super Mario RPG would have gotten a better treatment. Ultimate added both Mallow and Geno as spirits, but nothing else. It took until Sephiroth's inclusion to disconfirm Geno as a fighter with the costume.

Now, Lloyd Irving is the next character people wish to see returning in some form :)

Captain Jigglypuff

Is Crash the new Geno, wishful thinking-wise?
Crash is the one character almost everyone is agreeing with being part of Fighter’s Pass 2 mostly due to how a lot of his more recent games have been ported to Nintendo consoles and he is a really popular gaming mascot that inadvertently helped Mario crush Sonic in terms of games sales and made Sega quit the video game home console market. The PS and PS2 outsold the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast by a huge margin and even the N64 had trouble for awhile keeping up with sales. Sonic has probably been waiting years to finally get to punch Crash in the face for making him a lesser video game character in terms of major releases that are huge successes with both critics and fans outside of Sonic Racing and the Mario Vs Olympic Games.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Crash is the one character almost everyone is agreeing with being part of Fighter’s Pass 2 mostly due to how a lot of his more recent games have been ported to Nintendo consoles and he is a really popular gaming mascot that inadvertently helped Mario crush Sonic in terms of games sales and made Sega quit the video game home console market. The PS and PS2 outsold the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast by a huge margin and even the N64 had trouble for awhile keeping up with sales. Sonic has probably been waiting years to finally get to punch Crash in the face for making him a lesser video game character in terms of major releases that are huge successes with both critics and fans outside of Sonic Racing and the Mario Vs Olympic Games.
Counterpoint:The really bad Geno fantrolls(NOT ANYONE HERE) appear to have moved to Crash as their savior pick.

I'm not going to speculate on the E3 pick, but as for #11...

I'm still thinking Master Chief will be the last pick, for this reason:

"Master Chief, what are you doing?"
"Sir...Finishing This Fight/Fighters Pass/Joining Smash."

MrJechgo

Counterpoint:The really bad Geno fantrolls(NOT ANYONE HERE) appear to have moved to Crash as their savior pick.
I'm trying really hard to find even a bad argument for Geno... Yes, he was a playable character in just one game, but Super Mario RPG was a pretty big deal back then. The Mii costume also flamed up hopes to get Geno in Ultimate, and we have to agree on how pretty poor Super Mario RPG is represented ^^;

I think that people just jump from character to character simply... because. Then again, I don't see any issue with Crash Bandicoot either. He was both Mario's and Sonic's rival when the Playstation launched, and the Playstation was one reason why the Sega last consoles didn't do well, and that's considering Nintendo's own consoles that struggled as well.

I'm not going to speculate on the E3 pick, but as for #11...

I'm still thinking Master Chief will be the last pick, for this reason:

"Master Chief, what are you doing?"
"Sir...Finishing This Fight/Fighters Pass/Joining Smash."
The issue I see is that Halo isn't on Switch. Banjo-Kazooie was at least on N64 and Minecraft got ported to several Nintendo platforms. Nothing's wrong with the Chief. In fact, the Arbiter translated well in Killer Instinct. However, I don't see Microsoft lending one of their biggest IPs for Ultimate, especially when the latest entry has been delayed ^^;

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

I see Master Chief as being the XBox mascot and I can’t see him in Smash because his series is exclusive to Microsoft. Crash isn’t a Sony exclusive character anymore nor the official mascot of PS for a very long time since he was only licensed to be a Sony exclusive character for his first main series entries and two spinoff games. After that Naughty Dog would be free to put him on any console they wanted. Crash had his own GBA exclusive games and his later games have often been on the current Nintendo console and handheld. Halo has only been on XBox, PC, Mac and Apple iOS which makes him highly unlikely. Cloud and Sephiroth got in because they aren’t actually Sony owned characters and have appeared in the Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games and FF VII was ported to the Switch with the remake being announced for the system as well. Banjo Kazooie were always heavily associated with the N64 and only Nuts and Bolts never was released on a Nintendo console. Steve And Alex only became owned by Microsoft within the past few years and long before the buyout, Minecraft was released on PS and Nintendo consoles as well as the XBox and PC. Minecraft is one of the biggest games ever and one of the few to still have only one actual game in the series (I count Stories as an expansion) to still have a huge loyal fan base of players that continuously gets new updates and DLC being added after an entire decade. Only WoW has managed to do the same.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I see Master Chief as being the XBox mascot and I can’t see him in Smash because his series is exclusive to Microsoft. Crash isn’t a Sony exclusive character anymore nor the official mascot of PS for a very long time since he was only licensed to be a Sony exclusive character for his first main series entries and two spinoff games. After that Naughty Dog would be free to put him on any console they wanted. Crash had his own GBA exclusive games and his later games have often been on the current Nintendo console and handheld. Halo has only been on XBox, PC, Mac and Apple iOS which makes him highly unlikely. Cloud and Sephiroth got in because they aren’t actually Sony owned characters and have appeared in the Nintendo Kingdom Hearts games and FF VII was ported to the Switch with the remake being announced for the system as well. Banjo Kazooie were always heavily associated with the N64 and only Nuts and Bolts never was released on a Nintendo console. Steve And Alex only became owned by Microsoft within the past few years and long before the buyout, Minecraft was released on PS and Nintendo consoles as well as the XBox and PC. Minecraft is one of the biggest games ever and one of the few to still have only one actual game in the series (I count Stories as an expansion) to still have a huge loyal fan base of players that continuously gets new updates and DLC being added after an entire decade. Only WoW has managed to do the same.
You know being on Nintendo isn't a requirement. Unless Sakurai's own words don't matter somehow?

MrJechgo

You know being on Nintendo isn't a requirement. Unless Sakurai's own words don't matter somehow?
You're right, it's not a requirement. Even Joker from Persona 5 is an exception, since none of the Persona games has been ported to a Nintendo platform. You could argue that Shin Megami Tensei got games on Nintendo platforms, given that Persona is a spin-off, but it's still a huge stretch.

Not much the case for Snake, since Metal Gear games were on Nintendo, and Cloud, as Final Fantasy started on Nintendo, despite FF7 being mostly a Playstation game.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Crash is the one character almost everyone is agreeing with being part of Fighter’s Pass 2 mostly due to how a lot of his more recent games have been ported to Nintendo consoles and he is a really popular gaming mascot that inadvertently helped Mario crush Sonic in terms of games sales and made Sega quit the video game home console market.
I don't know where you are getting "everyone is agreeing with...".

The problem with Crash is that he has to compete with Nintendo and Japanese third parties and there are only two slots left (at least for now). It feels like people are just trying to "predict" him in the game enough times, so that he will magically appear.

I don't want to say any particular character is impossible though, because I remember thinking that leaked screenshot of Smash 3ds was fake because of Duck Hunt Dog. That said, I don't see Crash as likely, and I definitely don't see him as a shoe-in like some people seem to think.
You're right, it's not a requirement. Even Joker from Persona 5 is an exception, since none of the Persona games has been ported to a Nintendo platform. You could argue that Shin Megami Tensei got games on Nintendo platforms, given that Persona is a spin-off, but it's still a huge stretch.

Not much the case for Snake, since Metal Gear games were on Nintendo, and Cloud, as Final Fantasy started on Nintendo, despite FF7 being mostly a Playstation game.
Persona 5 Strikers is on a Nintendo platform though. Granted, that's after the fact, but it's not like Persona is legally bound to the system.

MrJechgo

Persona 5 Strikers is on a Nintendo platform though. Granted, that's after the fact, but it's not like Persona is legally bound to the system.
Persona Q and Q2 were released before Joker was added in Ultimate, but that's a bigger stretch :p

As for the legality of the platform, there might be a contract with Sony and Atlus when it comes to Persona, because while the mainstream Persona games are Playstation-exclusive, the spin-offs are multiplatformed (such as the Arena games) and Nintendo got its own Shin Megami Tensei games, including a spin-off for the Virtual Boy... of all consoles :p

That, or Atlus believes that Playstation is the best platform for the series... even if they DID see how well Persona 4 Golden sold on PC.

BCVM22

I don't know where you are getting "everyone is agreeing with..."

I definitely don't see him as a shoe-in like some people seem to think.

And better still, even if "everyone agrees" that "he's a shoe-in..." why does that especially matter? It's not based on what we "agree" or think is a "shoe-in."

If someone says "I think this character is a reasonable addition because...", that's great, but some people eternally treat these statements like an audition of some sort, like if you make your case well enough then the choice gets made there.

Genos

Summertime: Almost back to normal
As expected, Fury Bowser is a legendary spirit.

I failed the first time. So I used Terry w/ Soma Cruz and Golden Mario spirits. Then squashed Bowser with 7% in health.

Last edited: