• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch (and others)

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I just realized the irony of this statement, given since pigs have one of the strongest noses in nature, they don't need to see to find anything.
That was in regards to a 4chan leak. I would still maintain that that particular leak had no proof that it wasn't just a shot in the dark.

You have enough rumors on 4chan that some of them can become true due to the sheer volume of leaks.
Also, Sora was popular enough to make that sort of guess.
I think that speaks to Sora's inclusion in Smash more than anything else, honestly. None of us Sora-wanters could see it, but we didn't need to. We believed. :)
Sora was the ballot winner, and combined with Sakurai making a once in a lifetime bargain, he was able to bring the fighter in.

In hindsight, Sora isn't too over-the-top. I found him more likely than Crash anyway.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
That was in regards to a 4chan leak. I would still maintain that that particular leak had no proof that it wasn't just a shot in the dark.

You have enough rumors on 4chan that some of them can become true due to the sheer volume of leaks.
Also, Sora was popular enough to make that sort of guess.

Sora was the ballot winner, and combined with Sakurai making a once in a lifetime bargain, he was able to bring the fighter in.

In hindsight, Sora isn't too over-the-top. I found him more likely than Crash anyway.

My analogy was more of a moral lesson than anything of legitimate recollection of events.

In fact, Sora being the ballot winner can also point to the analogy. The fans who believed Sora would come are also the ones who voted for him. They walked themselves over to the prize, like a blind pig sniffing out truffles it cannot see.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I thought Sora wouldn’t be in Smash because of Disney and how protective they are with characters and franchises that they own. It’s not very likely that he will be in the next potential Smash game.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I thought Sora wouldn’t be in Smash because of Disney and how protective they are with characters and franchises that they own. It’s not very likely that he will be in the next potential Smash game.

We don't even know if there will be another Smash game. Sadly.

Honestly, I think Disney's decision on whether to regrant licensing to Nintendo will depend on how well the Kingdom Hearts titles sell on the Switch. It is common knowledge that Smash is used as a marketing tool, and Disney sees it as such just as well. If game sales reach or exceed Disney's projected goal, they will likely conclude Sora's inclusion in Smash to be a valuable asset for revenue, and allow him to stay in the series.

It's all a money game, really.

Captain Jigglypuff

We don't even know if there will be another Smash game. Sadly.
Which is why I said potential because it could go either way. I think that if there is another Smash game it will need to purge some fighters to make room for new ones and to avoid making the roster feel too massive.
My suggestions for who to cut or use as an alt are as follows:

Lucina- The reason is she’s virtually a gender swapped Marth

Roy/Chrom- Just make them alts like what they did with Olimar and Alph.

Pichu- It’s cute but it’s pretty weak and hurts itself whenever it attacks. Plus not many people actually uses it in fights. Pikachu is the better Electric Mouse.

The ugly one that should NEVER been allowed in Smash and will never be allowed to have its name mentioned in my presence or allowed to ever be unlocked in the two games it is in

Wii Fit Trainer- Replace with the Ring Fit Trainer and alter a few moves and you still have an exercise game rep.

R_N

Which is why I said potential because it could go either way. I think that if there is another Smash game it will need to purge some fighters to make room for new ones and to avoid making the roster feel too massive.

Pichu- It’s cute but it’s pretty weak and hurts itself whenever it attacks. Plus not many people actually uses it in fights. Pikachu is the better Electric Mouse.

The ugly one that should NEVER been allowed in Smash and will never be allowed to have its name mentioned in my presence or allowed to ever be unlocked in the two games it is in

Wii Fit Trainer- Replace with the Ring Fit Trainer and alter a few moves and you still have an exercise game rep.
Ok so cutting Lucina wont do anything. She was put into the game because of how little work it would take to have her.
Similar goes for Chrom. He has a few more differences than Marth/Lucina but at the end of the day he was something put in because he was comparatively lower effort.
Pichu is more differentiated but goes on the same logic. The clone umbrella is defined by characters who only get in because they take less time & effort than "big" characters. Cutting one or two (or about 3 in this case) isn't necessarily going to "free up" room more than cutting, I dunno...Yoshi or something.

Like if they had cut Daisy, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom & Ken from Ultimate you weren't going to get 3~5 distinct characters in their place. At best maybe we'd have gotten base game Piranha Plant, someone who already had work put into it.

If anything a roster cull would likely try to keep a lot of clones if possible because it fluffs up the roster with easier to make characters. Time constraints & lower priority could still see them cut, but in the realm of "cutting to add more room" it's not really a thing.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

Lucina has one notable difference from Marth in that she has neither a sweet- nor sourspot with her sword. The entire sword for Lucina hits enemies the same. Chrom has the same "neutral sword" that Lucina has, but on top of that, he has a few aether moves in is Up Special and Final Smash that differentiates him further.

Pichu actually isn't weak; it's more powerful that Pikachu. Pichu is odd in that it is slower and more powerful, all while being smaller and lighter. It sort of breaks the traditional trope of the heavier characters being slower/more powerful like Ganondorf or Bowser.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
So I decided to start a new game of World of Light with Sora.

With Kingdom Hearts itself being a crossover series, I figured this would be the best way to utilize Sora's inclusion. I'm hoping it's loads of fun!

EDIT: Yeah, it's loads of fun. lol

I decided to turn off all Skills, except for the extra jump, in order to offer more difficulty in Sora's World of Light. I've also decided to utilize only a handful of Spirits, and use only weapons that relate to swords and battering.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I've been trying to make a Monstro stage for so long, but it's proven rather difficult.

The trick is creating both the interior (inside Monstro) and exterior (Monstro's body) and have them match.

Nicholas Perkins

The Smasher Demon
Here’s a crazy thought: what if WoL was its own game, downloadable from the eShop for $5, but Spirits were kept in Ultimate and Smash Run was added, if possible?

Captain Jigglypuff

Here’s a crazy thought: what if WoL was its own game, downloadable from the eShop for $5, but Spirits were kept in Ultimate and Smash Run was added, if possible?
I don’t think that would work given the main plot of WoL and the fact that third party characters are involved both as Fighters and Spirits.

KillerDraco

To what end? This doesn't work on multiple levels. WoL isn't so far detached from normal Smash gameplay that it necessitates a standalone. The entire point of it was to showcase the Spirit battle system, which honestly is just regular Smash but with a few wonky conditions to Rock-Paper-Scissors.

And let's be real, Nintendo would charge way more than $5.

And Smash Run ain't coming back. Maybe in a subsequent game, who knows, but even before the DLC characters ended they had outright stated no new game modes would be added. But if it did it would definitely need more variety. The mode was fun at first, but once you'd seen the entire map you knew optimal paths and it lost a lot of its luster, so it'd need either multiple maps or maybe some sort of randomly generated map akin to a roguelike.

Captain Jigglypuff

To what end? This doesn't work on multiple levels. WoL isn't so far detached from normal Smash gameplay that it necessitates a standalone. The entire point of it was to showcase the Spirit battle system, which honestly is just regular Smash but with a few wonky conditions to Rock-Paper-Scissors.

And let's be real, Nintendo would charge way more than $5.

And Smash Run ain't coming back. Maybe in a subsequent game, who knows, but even before the DLC characters ended they had outright stated . But if it did it would definitely need more variety. The game was fun at first, but once you'd seen the entire map you knew optimal paths and it lost a lot of its luster, so it'd need either multiple maps or maybe some sort of randomly generated map akin to a roguelike.
Exactly. With the roster having third party Fighters, there’s no way any of the third party developers are going to let their property be used in a $5 game. Square Enix charges $16 just for a ported version of FF VII and you are insane if they would allow Cloud and Sephiroth be in a crossover game that costs half as much as their original game.

Nicholas Perkins

The Smasher Demon
Well, I did say it was crazy.

Here‘s a slightly less crazy idea; a Smash Ultimate Deluxe with the following additions:
  • All DLC characters now unlockable
  • 4 new playable characters (3 unique, one Echo)
  • 3 new stages
  • Smash Run
  • Add the DLC fighters to WoL
I know it’s probably not gonna happen for a bunch of reasons, but I wanted to at least share it.

KillerDraco

I'd rather they focus on new games than just an enhanced port if I'm being honest. But that's probably a ways off either way, since historically Smash has been a "one per console" type of game. It's not to say they couldn't break that precedent, but I feel like the effort is best put towards other games/series that haven't had a full fledged new entry on Switch.

Captain Jigglypuff

I'd rather they focus on new games than just an enhanced port if I'm being honest. But that's probably a ways off either way, since historically Smash has been a "one per console" type of game. It's not to say they couldn't break that precedent, but I feel like the effort is best put towards other games/series that haven't had a full fledged new entry on Switch.
I agree. Smash Ultimate is enough for the Switch by itself that it is better for any follow up be on the next console. It has more content than any other first party IP and can take even longer than BotW to 100% given all of the Spirits you need to collect in the base game alone.